PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol sales at games.

Tribe4SF
May 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Just learned on the Georgia State fan site that they will be selling beer at their home games in the Georgia Dome. Are there any other FCS teams that sell alcohol at games? I'm not aware of any.

Tod
May 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Northern Colorado does.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
North Dakota does.

Redwyn
May 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
SBU does not, although the cops are pretty amenable to tailgating so long as there aren't any marked bottles

Twentysix
May 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
SBU does not, although the cops are pretty amenable to tailgating so long as there aren't any marked bottles

NDSU's tailgaiting is legit.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
The general rule is that the NCAA will not allow on-campus sales and only allows off-campus sales where an pre-existing agreement exists with the stadium/arena.

I think some sites are grandfathered in, but this seems to be the general rule.

UNHWILDCATS05
May 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM
The general rule is that the NCAA will not allow on-campus sales and only allows off-campus sales where an pre-existing agreement exists with the stadium/arena.

AFAIK - As long it is not an NCAA event (i.e. NCAA tournament game)... State law/school policy determines whether alcohol can be sold at a collegiate sporting event. For example, in MA, state law allows the sale of alcohol at collegiate sporting events. Hence, alcohol is sold at BU hockey games, hockey east tournament games at the Garden... etc. However, alcohol is not sold at NCAA tournament games. In NH, per state law, no alcohol is sold at collegiate events... period.

SouthernMan
May 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Will Pizza Hut Park (Frisco, TX) be selling since it is not affiliated with a NCAA school?

UNHWILDCATS05
May 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Will Pizza Hut Park (Frisco, TX) be selling since it is not affiliated with a NCAA school?

Just guessing here... but as it is an NCAA tournament event - I would say no.

Redbird Ray
May 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I hope Pizza Hut Park has a decent tailgating setup. While I kind of wish Toyota Park in Chicago was located closer to downtown, the tailgating scene is awesome.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
You've given the example of alcohol sales at the Hockey East Championship at Boston TD Garden. Did they sell beer there when the NCAA Frozen Four was held there a few years ago? That may give you the answer on Frisco. If no beer sold at that Frozen Four, then it's unlikely you'll see it sold at the FCS Championship game.

UNHWILDCATS05
May 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM
You've given the example of alcohol sales at the Hockey East Championship at Boston TD Garden. Did they sell beer there when the NCAA Frozen Four was held there a few years ago? That may give you the answer on Frisco. If no beer sold at that Frozen Four, then it's unlikely you'll see it sold at the FCS Championship game.

Not sure about the Frozen Four at the garden... but at NCAA regionals in Worcester, they did NOT sell alcohol...

Redbird Ray
May 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Not sure about the Frozen Four at the garden... but at NCAA regionals in Worcester, they did NOT sell alcohol...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Yeah, that's what I recall too from my trips to Worcester. I don't think you'll see alcohol sold in Frisco.

Silenoz
May 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Portland State does

FargoBison
May 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
The only control the NCAA has on alcohol sales is for NCAA tournament games, so there will definitely be no beer/alcohol sales at Pizza Hut Park or any venue that hosts a NCAA tournament game.

onbison09
May 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I hope Pizza Hut Park has a decent tailgating setup. While I kind of wish Toyota Park in Chicago was located closer to downtown, the tailgating scene is awesome.

If the annual Jimmy Buffet concert is an indication, then yes there will be.

Twentysix
May 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Pretty sure this was overly debated on Bisonville and the NCAA has no control over alcohol being sold at non NCAAtournament games.

It comes down to the presidents of each university. If your school decides they want to sell alcohol they just need to make the call and tell them to pour.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Just learned on the Georgia State fan site that they will be selling beer at their home games in the Georgia Dome. Are there any other FCS teams that sell alcohol at games? I'm not aware of any.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to post about this.

Northern Colorado does.

North Dakota does.

AFAIK - As long it is not an NCAA event (i.e. NCAA tournament game)... State law/school policy determines whether alcohol can be sold at a collegiate sporting event. For example, in MA, state law allows the sale of alcohol at collegiate sporting events. Hence, alcohol is sold at BU hockey games, hockey east tournament games at the Garden... etc. However, alcohol is not sold at NCAA tournament games. In NH, per state law, no alcohol is sold at collegiate events... period.

The only control the NCAA has on alcohol sales is for NCAA tournament games, so there will definitely be no beer/alcohol sales at Pizza Hut Park or any venue that hosts a NCAA tournament game.

So am I understanding this correctly? The reason Northern Colorado, North Dakota, and Georgia State will be able to sell alcohol is because NCAA can only regulate it if it is a NCAA playoff event. So a regular season game between two NCAA teams does not count as an NCAA event - thus they can serve alcohol?

So does it matter if its off-campus or on-campus? Because from what I've researched Northern Colorado's stadium is on-campus - and apparently they can sell alcohol.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I took a look at the NCAA rules and these were the ones that seemed relevant:

31.1.15 Availability of Alcoholic Beverages. Alcoholic beverages shall not be sold or otherwise made
available for public consumption at any championship event sponsored by or administered by the Association, nor
shall any such beverages be brought to the site during the championship (during the period from the time access
to the site is available to spectators until all patrons have left the facility or area used for competition).

and

31.6.2 Concessions. The following conditions or restrictions apply to all concession items sold at any event
sponsored or administered by the Association:
(e) No alcoholic beverages shall be sold or dispensed for public consumption at any event sponsored by or administered
by the Association.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

It seems to me that 31.1.15 and 31.6.2(e) are in conflict because the prohibition in 31.1.15 is limited to championship events - but the prohibition in 31.6.2(e) does not distinguish championship events from non-championship events.

I did find this article from 2005 before the NCAA issued a recommendation that schools don't sell alcohol - that may clarify:

Whether the NCAA would, or legally could, dictate that restriction to schools is uncertain. The association prohibits the sale of alcoholic beverages only at championship events. More than a quarter of I-A schools responding to a 2003 survey indicated they allowed sales at their own events. Of those, well more than half permitted sales at an on-campus venue.

Almost a third of the responding schools said they allowed alcohol ads in stadium and arena signage. More than a third permitted it in game programs.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-01-26-alcohol-review_x.htm

Also this article has responses to a survey the USA Today did on alcohol sales at the end of the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-11-16-colleges-alcohol_x.htm

Hoseinexile07
May 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
We don't sell booze in the stadium, but the parking lot is the home of some pretty legit tailgating. The Scotsman Club has a tent at homecoming with great spreads.

WestCoastAggie
May 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM
So don't tell me you all do not know the art of the sneak-in?

Twentysix
May 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I took a look at the NCAA rules and these were the ones that seemed relevant:

and

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

It seems to me that 31.1.15 and 31.6.2(e) are in conflict because the prohibition in 31.1.15 is limited to championship events - but the prohibition in 31.6.2(e) does not distinguish championship events from non-championship events.

I did find this article from 2005 before the NCAA issued a recommendation that schools don't sell alcohol - that may clarify:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-01-26-alcohol-review_x.htm

Also this article has responses to a survey the USA Today did on alcohol sales at the end of the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-11-16-colleges-alcohol_x.htm

Pretty sure you cant or didnt read.

Pretty sure this was overly debated on Bisonville and the NCAA has no control over alcohol being sold at non NCAAtournament games.

It comes down to the presidents of each university. If your school decides they want to sell alcohol they just need to make the call and tell them to pour.

Maybe it will get your attention this time. Or are you one of those people who repeates everything you hear someone else say then elaborate slightly and pretend you said it first?

GA St. MBB Fan
May 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Pretty sure you cant or didnt read.

Huh?

DaBigBlue
May 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
ODU has a beer garden at Foreman Field under the Gameday Building. Nice place to watch the game, you need a premium ticket w/hologram to get in.

JALMOND
May 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Portland State does

Alcohol is sold at PGE Park during all PSU home games. I've been told that being that PGE Park is owned by the City of Portland and not PSU this is allowed. Beer, micros and some mixed drinks are available.

Word is out that there will be a beer garden at Hillsboro Stadium. It is unknown if the new Portland State IPA will be available. Widmer sponsors the beer garden at PGE park and the PSU IPA is made by Rogue Brewery.

FargoBison
May 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Selling alcohol at on-campus venues is up to the state or the president/leadership of the school. The NCAA only limits alcohol for its tournaments/championship events.