PDA

View Full Version : 2010 SoCon preseason football predictions

The Cats
May 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
With all the football prediction threads, it's time for one on the SoCon, it's only a little over 100 days till the first kick off (105 for the Cats at NC State). xhurrayx

I'm looking at ASU for 1st and probably ElCid to finish 9th, just not sure about the middle.

What is your take on the SoCon for 2010 ?

whoanellie
May 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
With all the football prediction threads, it's time for one on the SoCon, it's only a little over 100 days till the first kick off (105 for the Cats at NC State). xhurrayx

I'm looking at ASU for 1st and probably ElCid to finish 9th, just not sure about the middle.

What is your take on the SoCon for 2010 ?
good take...

Saint3333
May 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Just like 2009 the SoCon is wide open this year. Plenty of questions going into the season.

Furman - How will Forcier do as the full time starter? Will the new blood at assistant coaches be enough to overcome Lamb's history. Can they end the losing streak to ASU at haunted Rock.

ASU - only loses 5 starters, but two big questions. Which of the two QB will step up and drive the offense and will the new DTs provide enough depth to stop the run.

Elon - Will the turnover of the o-line be replaced to protect Riddle and provide an adequate running game. We will also find out if 3 solid WRs equal 1 great WR.

Wofford - can they stay healthy, if so should be in the top half of the SoCon

GSU - switching back to the triple option will be difficult, but they will be back, the question is how many years will it take. One thing I know is GSU will give ASU everything they want and more, just like ASU did the year following a blow out.

UTC - defense will be solid, can they score - really don't look forward to ASU playing their first game in Nooga

Wofford, GSU, and UTC may be the toughest to predict.

Samford - lost 4 o-lineman on the two deep as well as 4-5 starters on defense. A solid team, but likely still in the bottom half of the conference.

WCU - talent is getting better, will the depth be there to climb out of the bottom third of the SoCon?

Citadel - another team making the offensive switch, but with fewer athletes. Also off the field troubles this spring hurt.

The only team I fill comfortable picking a spot for preseason is the Citadel in last.

Skjellyfetti
May 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Chattnooga
4. Elon
5. Wofford
6. Georgia Southern
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

It is really a mess and should be an interesting season. I think Western and Citadel will remain at the bottom... but, other than that it's really a crap shoot. I can't wait for football season. xnodx

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Chattanooga
4. Elon
5. Georgia Southern
6. Wofford
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford
9. The Citadel

Sent a really detailed explanation, but it got lost in the netherworld of the internet.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
1. App State: Same argument each year. No reason to place them lower until someone beats them.

2. Furman: As talented as any team in the conference. If all the pieces come together they can put together a strong run.

3. Samford: Some have them much lower, however they return Smith, Taliaferro, and Evans, who are among the best players at their positions in the conference.

4. Elon: The Elon Riddles will go.....well, as their quarterback goes.

5. UTC: Mocs made great strides in '09. Have to figure they might have finally found their way out of the basement

6. Wofford: Hard to imagine a Mike Ayers' team having consecutive poor seasons, but last year's Terrier team was just bad...and not all of it was due to injuries.

7. GSU: Another coach, another offensive change. Gotta give them a year. No Jayson Foster to bridge the gap this time around.

8. WCU: Is this the year the Cats start to improve?

9. The Citadel: The Citadel's already had a rough season, and it hasn't even started yet.

Two big games I am circling as a Furman fan are the ones at Samford and home against UTC. I think the Paladins are more talented than both, but these are two teams that will not be easy to put away in 2010 (for anyone, really).

I am scared to death of having to play Samford again in Birmingham. They have fought us tooth and nail two straight times even after it looked like the game was out of reach. They return some good players and could upset a team or two.

I'm also wondering if this is the year UTC can beat Furman. The Mocs haven't bested the Paladins since the first Clinton administration. However, UTC tends to play us a lot tougher in Greenville than in Chattanooga.

OL FU
May 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman ( hope springs eternal:D)
3. Elon
4. Samford
5. Wofford
6. UTC
7. GSU
8. Western Carolina
9. Bellhops.

I think 2 through 5 are going be close and 6 through 7 will be also.

The Citadel might pull the surprise but I have my doubts with a first year switch to the option and a head coach that has never run it
( at least I have never heard of him running it)

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
1-ASU- (until somebody else steps up. They get everyones best game.)
2-Furman- (let's see if Bobby can screw this up)
3-Wofford- (if they can stay healthy they are a contender)
4-GSU- (they have the athletes, how will the new coaches use them)
5-Elon- (never seen anything to justify the hype)
6-UTC- (I believe they are on track to make some noise, maybe the first game)
7-Samford- (I saw a big fall off from their 1st year in SoCon)
8-WCU- (I don't have a clue except a much more disciplined team)
9-The Citadel- (played ASU a great game last year, needs to get consistant)

A lot of questions at this point. It seems as though everyone gets up for ASU. This is understandable since they have 5 straight SoCon Championships.

I could see UTC moving up to 4th and GSU down to 6th. This is what makes College Football the greatest team sport ever.

PhoenixSupreme
May 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM
1. Appalachian St.
2. Furman
3. Elon
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Georgia Southern
7. Wofford
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

phoenixphanatic21
May 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
1. App State
2. Elon/Furman
3. Elon/Furman
4. Wofford
5. Chattanooga
6. Georgia Southern
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. Citadel

blazrdog#1
May 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
The hillbillies of Boone WILL play us in our house minus Armanti this year...look for lil Jerry Moore to be humbled in Shades Valley by the REAL BULLDOGS of the SoCon...we've rolled ga. southern and the citadel...NOW it's ya'lls turn on Bowden Field!!!xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

SpeedkingATL
May 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
1-ASU-Still loaded with talent and a favorible conference schedule with Elon, Furman and Wofford all coming to The Rock. 2 of 3 OOC at home and very winable too.

2-Elon-They have the QB and historically a good defense. When will they finally breakthrough with that landmark victory? Hopefully not this year.

3-Furman-Should be a much improved team as they were an underachiever last year. Forcier looked pretty good in limited "trash time" play against ASU and moble QBs historically give ASU fits.

4-UTC-Good defense and good QB play make this team a threat. Home opener against Apps could make or break the season for either team.

5-Samford-Another team that plays solid defense and has good QB and RB. Need to learn how to win some of the close games to be a factor.

6-Wofford-They'll be much healthier this year and still run that option very effectively. Every team knows they are in a battle with this group of overachievers every year.

7-WCU-This is the year that some good recruits and stability start to pay off for the Cats. Probably not a breakout season but they won't be in the basement.

8-GSU-Change back to the option will take a little time but they do have the QB to help acclerate the transition. The defense will need to improve for the Eagles to finish in the top half of the conference. The fan base will really be behind this team now which will make them a very tough out at home.

9-Citdogs-Changing the offense and the limitations of a military school will make for a difficult year. These guys are disiplined and tough and are never an easy win, at least not for ASU.

Those are my guesses and I would not be surprised to see any team except possibly the Citdogs rise or fall 3 or 4 places. I don't see ASU and Elon as that much better than the field like many people, but feel the home schedule and OOC schedule favor ASU (even with UFla in November). In reality the SoCon is a crap shoot at best this year with the possibility of Furman, UTC, and even GaSo/WCU being much better than advertised.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Can Bobby not mess it up?
Was that a statement, question or prayer?

He has a good record, but the SoCon has faith in him.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The hillbillies of Boone WILL play us in our house minus Armanti this year...look for lil Jerry Moore to be humbled in Shades Valley by the REAL BULLDOGS of the SoCon...we've rolled ga. southern and the citadel...NOW it's ya'lls turn on Bowden Field!!!xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

xthumbsdownxYou need to do something, anything before you talk crap!xthumbsdownx

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Somebody Smokin Something!xlolxxlolxxcoffeex

PhoenixMan
May 24th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Somebody Smokin Something!xlolxxlolxxcoffeex

Yes, you must have passed it to them after you had some first. I think I saw you pick Elon to finish 5th. They lost last year to Wake Forest, App. St., and Richmond in a playoff game that could go either way. 5th? Can't wait for football season

Saint3333
May 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Elon could finish fifth, but so could ASU. Crazy things happen in football. ASU could easily lose to UTC in the first game breaking in a new QB against a great defensive minded coach with 3+ months to prepare. Later that season ASU plays in Statesboro and will face tough home matchups with Furman and Elon. I certainly don't hope or think all these will happen, but it is certainly possible. There is no team in the SoCon that couldn't lose 4 games this season.

B&G
May 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Elon could finish fifth, but so could ASU. Crazy things happen in football. ASU could easily lose to UTC in the first game breaking in a new QB against a great defensive minded coach with 3+ months to prepare. Later that season ASU plays in Statesboro and will face tough home matchups with Furman and Elon. I certainly don't hope or think all these will happen, but it is certainly possible. There is no team in the SoCon that couldn't lose 4 games this season.

On the flip side, it's tough to prepare for a QB you've never seen before... assuming Jackson wins the QB job.

PhoenixSupreme
May 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Really though, it seems like we have called the SoCon standings a toss-up for the past few years now.

Saint3333
May 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
No doubt, and I fully expect ASU to beat UTC. Just saying it could happen.

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, you must have passed it to them after you had some first. I think I saw you pick Elon to finish 5th. They lost last year to Wake Forest, App. St., and Richmond in a playoff game that could go either way. 5th? Can't wait for football season

"Time will tell."

PhoenixMan
May 25th, 2010, 06:02 AM
"Time will tell."

yes, time will tell. I agree that ASU is without a doubt the favorite. Until someone knocks them off they have earned that respect. I just think 5th is low for the Phoenix, but I'm a little biased. That's why they play the games.

appmaj
May 25th, 2010, 06:31 AM

35-21

20-7
xtwocentsx

OL FU
May 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Can Bobby not mess it up?
Was that a statement, question or prayer?

He has a good record, but the SoCon has faith in him.

You know he does have a good record, but I don't think there is a season that we have not had at least one game where we lost and should not have. That happens to every good team but it is also what seperates great teams from good ones.

2009 - The Citadel
2008 - Georgia Southern
2007 - Hofstra among others
2006 - CCU
2005- Western CArolina
2004 - Appalachian State.

My memory is to foggy to go much farther back. This is a year where we could reasonably lose to a few teams and we could reasonably beat them all (except South Carolina). So there is a little leeway in who we beat and who we lose to but 8-3 should be the worst acceptable record this year. It is time to leave mediocre records behindxtwocentsx

biggie
May 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM
My guess:

1. Appalachian State (new QB has to step up, look for lowering scoring but D to hold as well)
2. Furman (is a long way from last year, we'll see)
3. Chattnooga (Very promising last year)
4. Elon (Believe the OL and WR losses will hurt)
5. Wofford (still have to look for passing game)
6. Samford
7. Georgia Southern (the change will hurt this first year)
8. Citadel (change will hurt here as well, but believe they find a way to stay out of cellar)
9. Western Carolina (just believe the bad luck continues)

The Cats
May 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've seen enough.....

1. Appalachian State
2. Eloy
3. Samford
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Western Carolina
7. Wofford
8. Georgia Southern
9. Citadel

catamount man
May 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
2010 SoCon predictions
1) Elon
2) Furman
3) App State
4) Wofford
5) WCU
6) UTC
7) Georgia Southern
8) Samford
9) El Cid

WCU LawCat
May 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I think Western is more of a mystery this season to outsiders then usual. I think that plays in WCU's favor. I see Citadel, UTC, and GSU all finishing behind Western. GSU will be competitive though.

GATA
May 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
xthumbsdownxYou need to do something, anything before you talk crap!xthumbsdownx

It's Samford...you surprised? When you have no expectations you take what you can get...

ThompsonThe
May 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I hate to say this, and I hope I am wrong, but I still do not believe Western's coach is all that much of a Mr. Wonderful. They won 2 games last year I believe. Most of their fans are trying to be positive, because they do not want to join the coach of the year squad. Plus he turned down some pretty good assistant's job out west. Some seem to like him because he is hard on the players. GaSo and others had coaches like that that didn't do too well. I really hope I am wrong, because it is past time for the Catamounts to make some noise.

By the way, did anyone know that Western Carolina is undefeated against CAA conference schools, and has a much better record against Sun Belt schools than SoCon schools?

SU DOG
May 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Samford's defense should be something special this year. The offense, I suppose, surely won't be as bad as last year. IF the coaches can figure out what the problem is on that side of the ball, then Samford will finish in the top half of the SoCon. There is talent enough on this team to make some real noise and upset some folks this season. Also, anyone taking UTC lightly this year will pay a price.

appfan2008
May 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM
ASU
Elon
Furman
GSU
Wofford
UTC
Samford
WCU
The Citadel

The Cats
June 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
..... but I still do not believe Western's coach is all that much of a Mr. Wonderful.

We don't want a Mr Wonderful for a coach, just one that wins.

This season he will have his 3d recruiting class playing - therefore, we should start seeing some results (wins).

IF we only have 2 wins this season again, I may have to join your sentiments - but as if right now, I'm a believer - and I think the turnaround will be evident.

SCPALADIN
June 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
ASU
Furman
Elon
UTC
Wofford
GSU
Samford
WCU
The Citadel

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
I laugh at people picking us to finish lower than Chatty or 6th place or lower
GSU was better than Chatty last year and will improve more than UTC if UTC even improves at all. Chatty is losing their best receiver and has no one at running back behind Fitzgerald. GSU will have the first experienced defense unit that they have had in at least four years and in all likelihood even in the first year back in the option we will match last year's anemic offensive numbers with a QB who has experience in the system.

Between that and Elon and App. not being as good as they were last year and GSU having App., Elon, and Wofford at home, I have a very hard time seeing us finishing below 5th.

Tell you what, if GSU finishes below 5th I'll spray-paint one of our yellow school buses in Furman colors and the other in App. State colors. xnodx

OL FU
June 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Tell you what, if GSU finishes below 5th I'll spray-paint one of our yellow school buses in Furman colors and the other in App. State colors. xnodx

I like the extra incentive to make sure you have a few more Ls than Wsxsmiley_wixxlolx

Remember, it's royal purplexnodx

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
GSU was better than Chatty last year and will improve more than UTC if UTC even improves at all. Chatty is losing their best receiver and has no one at running back behind Fitzgerald. GSU will have the first experienced defense unit that they have had in at least four years and in all likelihood even in the first year back in the option we will match last year's anemic offensive numbers with a QB who has experience in the system.

Between that and Elon and App. not being as good as they were last year and GSU having App., Elon, and Wofford at home, I have a very hard time seeing us finishing below 5th.

No way of knowing where GSU finishes. Are they right now better than App, Furman, or Elon? No. They are transitioning offenses, again. Unlike the last time they did this, GSU isn't going to benefit from having #4 running the plays. Foster masked a great deal of the growing pains teams go through when making a whole sale offensive change.

soconjohn
June 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Elon
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Western Carolina
7. Wofford
8. Georgia Southern
9. The Citadel

soconjohn
June 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Biggest Question Marks: (part 1, teams 1-4)
Appalachian State--The obvious--Can DeAndre Presley or Jamal Jackson continue to build upon the foundation, laid by predecessors Armanti Edwards and Richie Williams...Remember, the Moutaineers faced similar questions on offense in 2006 and that ended up being emphatically answered by the Black and Gold! The defense is a little more of an unknown...I think the Mountaineers will have one of the top defensive end tandems in the FCS in 2010, but replacing Malcolm Bennett and Anthony Williams inside won't be easy...That being said, the ASU defense, especially the D-Line, started the season slow, but gained momentum as the season progressed and was playing its best by the time the playoffs rolled around...The Apps should be strong at linebacker once again, with Buck Bucahanan Award candidate D.J. Smith anchoring the unit...Replacing Roman will likely be Jeremy Kimbrough, who will be one of the more exciting players to watch in the SoCon next fall...The secondary, to me, seems to be the scariest component entering 2010...Everyone knows what Mark LeGree and Dominique McDuffie are capable of...But cornerback is a real concern, as Ed Gainey has never been the model of consistency during his first two seasons as a starter...If there's a question mark to monitor on defense, it's cornerback.

Furman--The Paladins have question marks of their own at quarterback, although unlike Appalachian State's situation, it's not a question of continuing a legacy, but rather starting one...With year two of the no-huddle attack, Furman will have a quarterback that finally fits its version of the spread, in Chris Forcier. Predecessors Jordan Sorrells and Ingle Martin were quarterbacks that seemed lost in the Furman offense in past seasons. With Forcier's ability to make plays with his feet as well as with his arm (which is still somewhat of a question mark), Furman finally has a quarterback that fits its offense...A defense that yielded 431 yards per game last season is a huge concern, but it is a defense that was riddled with youthful mistakes, much like the 2004 version of the ASU defense...Certainly not sayng Furman will see the kind of improvement the Apps did, but there is reason for optimism on defense in 2010.

Elon--Scott Riddle is enough to ensure the Phoenix will be strong on offense this fall...A lot of people don't realize that if Riddle had graduated and Hudgins returned, Elon would be much more of a question mark entering the season. Talent remains at the skill positions and the drop-off will not be substantial on offense in 2010...The bigger concern for Elon on offense is replacing three starters from the offensive line...Eric Ludwig, Karlos Sullivan and Andre Campbell are major losses on defense, but the linebacking corps has the potential to be the best in school history.

Chattanooga--We all know what B.J. Coleman can do and if Bryan Fitzgerald can stay healthy, there's no reason to believe there should be any drop-off on offense, despite losing Blue Cooper to graduation. The Mocs are one of only a handful of teams in FCS to return all five O-Linemen and allowed only 11 sacks (tied for league lead) last season...Look for 6-5 wide receiver Marlon Anthony to be the league's next Brian Quick. Defensively, the Mocs improved from ninth to third in one season under Huesman and despite losing Josh Beard and Joseph Thornton to graduation, there's reason to believe a secondary that returns two All-America candidates in Buster Skrine and Jordan Tippitt and a linebacking unit that adds Tennessee transfer Chris Donald (first five-star recruit to ever play for UTC), might even be better this fall...UTC could be a legit title contender in 2010.

Skjellyfetti
June 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM

School buses are already App. State colors. xsmiley_wix

seantaylor
June 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
No chance GSU finishes lower than 5th. None. We have a great coaching staff now, unlike the last batch of clowns. An experienced QB to ease the learning curve, and with a competent DC now, will have the best defense in the league.

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
No chance GSU finishes lower than 5th. None. We have a great coaching staff now, unlike the last batch of clowns. An experienced QB to ease the learning curve, and with a competent DC now, will have the best defense in the league.

Guess we'll see. GSU had the 4th or 5th best in the SoCon last year.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2009/confonly.htm

BULLDOG8180
June 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
you people are idiots, The Citadel- SOCON baseball champs, will not finish in the bottom 3 on the gridiron. Mark it down!

AppAlum2003
June 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
you people are idiots, The Citadel- SOCON baseball champs, will not finish in the bottom 3 on the gridiron. Mark it down!

ElCid gets to use baseball bats on the football field this year? Good gosh - look out everyone.

BULLDOG8180
June 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
ElCid gets to use baseball bats on the football field this year? Good gosh - look out everyone.

You will think we're using baseball bats!xnodx

whoanellie
June 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
you still will not score

T-Dog
June 3rd, 2010, 12:43 AM

It won't matter if your offensive line can't block anyone.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
You will think we're using baseball bats!xnodx

Should we inform Princeton?

The Cats
June 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM

GSU fans at the end of the season: xbawlingx

seantaylor
June 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM

Our 3rd string is more talented than WCU. Has WCU ever beat GSU? This year is going to be an absolute blowout. You guys went 0-3 against one of the worst coaches ever. Monken is going to abuse you.

phoenixphanatic21
June 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM

I'm just curious why you think you'll be finishing above the bottom 3. I think yall will struggle with the switch to a triple option offense for at least a year or two and I haven't seen much to make me believe your defense has made huge steps forward.

phoenixphanatic21
June 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Our 3rd string is more talented than WCU.

xchinscratchx I know Western has struggled as of late, but they aren't THAT bad.

The Cats
June 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Our 3rd string is more talented than WCU xliarx ...Monken is going to abuse you. xliarx

Guess we'll see when Monken brings his "bad boy" 3d string team to Cullowhee on Nov 13th.

JDC325
June 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM

No that is WCU fans after every season. Last chance this year cantamounts, I would advise taking advantage but considering you could not beat the VanDouche team I doubt you will beat Monken's.

Honestly when was the last time GSU lost to WCU anyway? Most online resources don't go back that far.

Saint3333
June 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=3511

SpeedkingATL
June 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Why should this years defense be so much better than the one that surrendered over 700 yards at The Rock?? I expect the coaching to be better but it might take a little time to get the players needed. I would expect Elon, ASU, UTC and Samford (at least) to be better on defense than this years Eagles.

The Cats
June 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Last chance this year cantamounts

You guys hire a triple option coach, and then..... "voilą"..... you're a national contender in your minds... even before summer practice starts. xcoffeex

AppAlum2003
June 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM
You guys hire a triple option coach, and then..... "voilą"..... you're a national contender in your minds... even before summer practice starts. xcoffeex

Swap the words "triple option" for "Hatch Attack" and we're all having deja vu all over again.

OL FU
June 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Swap the words "triple option" for "Hatch Attack" and we're all having deja vu all over again.

OR even the swap it for the highest paid best **** coach FCS will ever see and you have deja vu again (until the third game when they realized that the coaches name was really Van Goober:D)

catamount man
June 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not talking smack to ANY GSU fans, but for about 3 qtrs in the 2008 game, you were getting smacked all up and down the field in Cullowhee.

Yes, we had a 4th qtr meltdown of biblical proportions, one that I still have not gotten over or even refuse to talk about for the most part so don't sit here and say WCU can't beat you.

I would ALMOST rather beat you guys than beat ASU this year just to end the 15 year losing streak but that's just me.

godogs
June 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM

real bulldogs??? that is a total joke --- we'll see

cmaxwellgsu
June 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not talking smack to ANY GSU fans, but for about 3 qtrs in the 2008 game, you were getting smacked all up and down the field in Cullowhee.

Yes, we had a 4th qtr meltdown of biblical proportions, one that I still have not gotten over or even refuse to talk about for the most part so don't sit here and say WCU can't beat you..

......which resulted in yet another L. WCU, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

cmaxwellgsu
June 5th, 2010, 10:11 PM
App State
Elon
Ga Southern
Wofford
Furman
Samford
UTC
WCU
Citadel

eaglewraith
June 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Yes, we had a 4th qtr meltdown of biblical proportions, one that I still have not gotten over or even refuse to talk about for the most part so don't sit here and say WCU can't beat you.

I would ALMOST rather beat you guys than beat ASU this year just to end the 15 year losing streak but that's just me.

Meltdown?...maybe.

Toting an ass whipping?...definitely

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Why should this years defense be so much better than the one that surrendered over 700 yards at The Rock?? I expect the coaching to be better but it might take a little time to get the players needed. I would expect Elon, ASU, UTC and Samford (at least) to be better on defense than this years Eagles.

The defense wasn't really that bad. App. State had a field day because they did everything right and were ready to play. It happens sometimes in a rivalry game. I bet GSU wasn't expecting App. State's defense to be anything special in 2005 after that 54-7 beatdown in Statesboro the year before but they were quite good. And why could the defense be better this year? We've got a new DC, we've got more experience on the defensive side than we have had in a while, and we're getting rid of the terrible defensive scheme that we have used in the last two seasons.

Chances are GSU will be better offensively this year as well, even though that is not saying much. You can make as many snarky comments as you want, but running the option gives you an advantage over running offenses that defensive coordinators see all the time and that require the types of athletes that dozens of other college football programs are looking for. I know people get tired of hearing it, but, you know, we've got six trophies and that system is part of the secret to our success. Having a QB who is familiar with the system will also make the transition much easier.

SideLine Shooter
June 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
ASU
Elon
Furman
GSU
Wofford
UTC
Samford
WCU
The Citadel

I like it except Elon is too high. They will probably end up at #3 or #4 at best.

I could see UTC at #4 or #5.

JDC325
June 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Nobody said that cantamount, HENCE THE LAST CHANCE REFERENCE, See saying last chance would infer to most reasonable folks that the poster, me, would suggest you have more than an average shot to take us down. So how you get I am inferring that we are NC contenders is beyond me. The fact still remains you did not beat the 3-8 GSU team so what makes you think your chances are any better this year?

JDC325
June 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Well you see at as melt down we see it as a tremendous comeback against an inferior team....eye of the beholder. Fact is neither team was that great it does not matter when you score the points it is either a W or L.

I think with the offensive growing pains we will be not be the favorite in any game but SSU.

If you win this year good for you, I will take 15-1 against anyone no matter who they are.

eaglewraith
June 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The defense wasn't really that bad. App. State had a field day because they did everything right and were ready to play. It happens sometimes in a rivalry game. I bet GSU wasn't expecting App. State's defense to be anything special in 2005 after that 54-7 beatdown in Statesboro the year before but they were quite good. And why could the defense be better this year? We've got a new DC, we've got more experience on the defensive side than we have had in a while, and we're getting rid of the terrible defensive scheme that we have used in the last two seasons.

Chances are GSU will be better offensively this year as well, even though that is not saying much. You can make as many snarky comments as you want, but running the option gives you an advantage over running offenses that defensive coordinators see all the time and that require the types of athletes that dozens of other college football programs are looking for. I know people get tired of hearing it, but, you know, we've got six trophies and that system is part of the secret to our success. Having a QB who is familiar with the system will also make the transition much easier.

If we can stop turning the ball over and not give up 43 sacks this year (I'm still amazed by that stat) that should translate into 3 more wins easily. The defense did a decent job, especially against the run, just not at App. The biggest thing that burned us on defense was allowing those 3rd and longs to keep getting converted.

I see us having a decent season. Having Jaybo will definitely help as that brings some stability to the QB position and hopefully it'll fix that "ball on ground" syndrome. Making the playoffs wouldn't be entirely too much of a stretch, but I don't see it happening this year, however things could get interesting with the expansion.

We just need to get tougher than everyone else, and get some speed. Everything will fall into place eventually. That being said....no way in HELL do we finish at the bottom of the conference, especially behind WCU.

My objectives for the team this year: Beat the ever loving **** out of Elon and Samford, beat App (I don't care if it's a squeeker or a ton), and of course knock the Paladin off his horse again. Do that and I'll be happy with this year.

eaglemachine
June 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
If we can stop turning the ball over and not give up 43 sacks this year (I'm still amazed by that stat) that should translate into 3 more wins easily. The defense did a decent job, especially against the run, just not at App. The biggest thing that burned us on defense was allowing those 3rd and longs to keep getting converted.

I see us having a decent season. Having Jaybo will definitely help as that brings some stability to the QB position and hopefully it'll fix that "ball on ground" syndrome. Making the playoffs wouldn't be entirely too much of a stretch, but I don't see it happening this year, however things could get interesting with the expansion.

We just need to get tougher than everyone else, and get some speed. Everything will fall into place eventually. That being said....no way in HELL do we finish at the bottom of the conference, especially behind WCU.

My objectives for the team this year: Beat the ever loving **** out of Elon and Samford, beat App (I don't care if it's a squeeker or a ton), and of course knock the Paladin off his horse again. Do that and I'll be happy with this year.

+1

Gringer1
June 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
OK GSU fans, let's control ourselves a little bit here. We've got our 4th new offensive system in about 5 years. The defense is running a completely new scheme as well and the old scheme was hardly garbage. If you noticed, the 2 teams in the NC game ran almost identical defenses to us. Our returning players have proven themselves to be slower than we would ever expect and our incoming players are completely unproven at the college level. Jaybo will help the offense, but the o-line guarding opening up running lanes is the same one that gave up a sack fiesta last year. We will look sloppy and we will struggle in a technical sense. All that said, the fire is back this year. Anybody who saw practices or the spring game knows what kind of energy and GATA attitude is coming back this year. Arm tackles are gone (which accounted for about half of the yards our D gave up last year) and the defense is smashing people. The QBs are not wearing red shirts during practice and are learning how to take hits. We shouldn't be picked high, but we are going fight people every step of the way. Opposing teams are going to be shocked at how much harder we hit them. Finishing above .500 would be a success, but if the team keeps it up through to next year, 2011 could be special.

OL FU
June 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM
OK GSU fans, let's control ourselves a little bit here. We've got our 4th new offensive system in about 5 years. The defense is running a completely new scheme as well and the old scheme was hardly garbage. If you noticed, the 2 teams in the NC game ran almost identical defenses to us. Our returning players have proven themselves to be slower than we would ever expect and our incoming players are completely unproven at the college level. Jaybo will help the offense, but the o-line guarding opening up running lanes is the same one that gave up a sack fiesta last year. We will look sloppy and we will struggle in a technical sense. All that said, the fire is back this year. Anybody who saw practices or the spring game knows what kind of energy and GATA attitude is coming back this year. Arm tackles are gone (which accounted for about half of the yards our D gave up last year) and the defense is smashing people. The QBs are not wearing red shirts during practice and are learning how to take hits. We shouldn't be picked high, but we are going fight people every step of the way. Opposing teams are going to be shocked at how much harder we hit them. Finishing above .500 would be a success, but if the team keeps it up through to next year, 2011 could be special.

Good post. There is a liklihood that GSU will finish in the top half of the conference. But, as hard as it is, at this point realism seems more appropriate than pure optimism. Pleasant surprises are more fun than very possible disappointments.

As long as you don't have to keep this philoshophy for too many years. Believe me. I know. xnodx

SpeedkingATL
June 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I agree with this accessment but add one thing...no matter what, GSU is tough to beat in Statesboro. Don't underestimate the effect of rowdy fans (and players) that believe in the coaching and system again. I certainly expect a war in Statesboro on November 6 as most games between the Mountaineers and Eagles historically are. I think that's true of any team entering Statesboro (or Boone). Tradition does often mysteriously account for something.

GlassOnion
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
For you Georgia Southern fans, I honestly believe you will be much, much improved this season, not so much at the start of the year, but as the year goes on. Your schedule sets up very well with the major hurdles coming mid to late in the season. Im not sure Western stands a chance that far into the season. Just throwing that out there.

The Cats
June 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I think you are right on target, and very rational in your assessment of your team this season. Being rational about football teams at Georgia Southern can be difficult for many GSU fans, but with 6 NC's under your belt, I understand the temptation not to be. Good Luck, except in Cullowhee of course.

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
For you Georgia Southern fans, I honestly believe you will be much, much improved this season, not so much at the start of the year, but as the year goes on. Your schedule sets up very well with the major hurdles coming mid to late in the season. Im not sure Western stands a chance that far into the season. Just throwing that out there.

I'm not sold for three reasons:

1. New offense, again. No brainer here. Simply can't keep changing a system up and expect any kind of consistency.

2. Three teams are running it. The GSU teams of old had the fortune of being the only show in town running the option. I remember Furman took their offweek before playing GSU just to work on their offense. It was tough to stop if you saw it once. Now the SoCon has three teams running it. Teams will be better prepared to stop it as they will see it every couple of weeks.

3. No Jayson Foster. GSU handled an offensive transition a few years ago on the back of the most electric player in FCS football. They don't necessarily have that game breaking offensive player that can cover the mistakes the offense is going to make. Foster could turn a 5 yard loss into an 80 yard touchdown. Not sure the Eagles have that kind of player. This season, a 5 yard loss may just be a 5 yard loss.

GlassOnion
June 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
The triple option itself is a great equalizer, just look what Wofford has done. Shaw will touch the ball every play, and distribute it accordingly. If he can do that well, thats huge for GSU. And Im not saying they'll be 1-3 in the conference, but they should have TOP on their side, which may help out that outgunned defense. 7-4 is a good possiblity, and with expanded playoffs, they may make it to the bubble, only to not get in because the committee will want 8 CAA teams in this year. Alot hinges on the Elon, Wofford Samford games IN Statesboro.

seantaylor
June 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM

I really hope you are joking about the old scheme not being garbage, because if not, you should never post about football ever again. Anders was a mutant, who is easily the worst DC in the country.

The Cats
June 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
+

eaglewraith
June 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
The triple option itself is a great equalizer, just look what Wofford has done. Shaw will touch the ball every play, and distribute it accordingly. If he can do that well, thats huge for GSU. And Im not saying they'll be 1-3 in the conference, but they should have TOP on their side, which may help out that outgunned defense. 7-4 is a good possiblity, and with expanded playoffs, they may make it to the bubble, only to not get in because the committee will want 8 CAA teams in this year. Alot hinges on the Elon, Wofford Samford games IN Statesboro.

Actually I think we led the conference in TOP last year as hard as that may be to believe......

OL FU
June 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Actually I think we led the conference in TOP last year as hard as that may be to believe......

That may be due to the speed that teams scored on youxnodxxsmiley_wix

GlassOnion
June 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Oh, not good.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
OK GSU fans, let's control ourselves a little bit here.

Are you talking to me? All I said was that I didn't think we'd finish lower than 5th. We averaged 18.6 points per game last year and still managed to finish fourth in the conference. VanGorder's OC topped that number the year right after we got rid of option. With an experienced QB, in all liklihood we will be better on offense, and I think there's no question we'll be better defensively.

Between that and the schedule setting up nicely I honestly have a hard time seeing us finish below fifth and I very much like our chances to finish in the top 4.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
That may be due to the speed that teams scored on youxnodxxsmiley_wix

You Furman guys really make it easy to hate you :p

Laserlips
June 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM
JMOfartO:

And from the senior citizens seats comes these thoughts...

I don't have a CLUE as to how many games our GSU Eagles will win this year.. No idea..

But I do know bringing the triple option back to Paulson is a step in the right direction, and I think, and HOPE, that better times are in store for our Eagles.

I do know that I'm looking forward to the football season and I believe, even though I wouldn't bet a dollar on it, that our GSU Eagles will have a surprisingly good initial season under Coach Monken, and we will whip a team or two this year that won't expect it.

And if I'm wrong, 100% wrong, I'll still be pulling for the Eagles, and predicting if we don't get'em this year, we'll get'em next year.. Or the year after.. xthumbsupx

But no matter WHAT the season brings, I'm tickled absolutely pink that the offense that brought us such success in the past has returned to Statesboro.xsmileyclapx

No offense to anyone, and dissenting opinions cheerfully welcomed and immediately forgotten due to short term memory loss brought on by impending senility.

Jesse

P.S. I think I almost ran BVG down on a street corner in Atlanta recently, but even tho he is the worse head football coach I've ever seen personally, and for sure the worse head football coach GSU has ever had, he IS still an athlete..

He jumped clear of the left front bumper of my Ford F150 by more than 3 feet when I tried to run him down. Surprising vertical leap for an "old" guy, but guess terrifying fear can make the body do amazing things....

The Cats
June 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I think they should have brought BVG back and let he finish the job he started !!!!!!

Laserlips
June 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think they should have brought BVG back and let he finish the job he started !!!!!!

TC:

I doubt BVG has any more interest in returning to the 'boro, for ANY reason, than GSU fans have in his returning...

His staying away, well away, is a "win-win"...xprayx

What an arrogant, pompous, asp..

Jesse

cmaxwellgsu
June 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Finish what, turning us into you? xsmiley_wix

How is Western looking this year? Is this going to be the year that your new staff gets the corner turned? I know the talent has to be going up, but it get tough putting it all together.

smallcollegefbfan
June 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
You Furman guys really make it easy to hate you :p

The ONLY reason I think GSU finishes 5th or below is the fact they lack the team speed they had years ago and the fact that the first few weeks will be more of a trial and error as the starting lineup probably won't be firmly decided until after a few weeks of the regular season.

Laserlips
June 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
The ONLY reason I think GSU finishes 5th or below is the fact they lack the team speed they had years ago and the fact that the first few weeks will be more of a trial and error as the starting lineup probably won't be firmly decided until after a few weeks of the regular season.

SC:

Probably a lot to what you say.

Truthfully our GSU Eagles have lost that "speed" and "toughness" that characterized our winning teams of old, but I honestly believe those two things will be a'changin' under Coach Monken.

Problem is that those changes will take time, and since I'm almost 68 years old "more time" is not something my backpack is full of.. :):)

But, "it is what is is", and for the first time in a few years I'm really excited about our GSU Eagles BEGINNING to bring the program back where it needs to be.

Between the non-existent offense of the goober (BVGoober), and the "non-Hatch Attack" of the past two seasons the bar has been set so low we honestly don't have many places to go except up..

I'll be happy to see the program going back to it's roots, and I expect a dismal season or two until Coach Monken gets his "speedy" and "tough" recruits in place.

But if our Eagles can be "spoilers" a couple of times this upcoming season that'll be enough for me for Coach Monken's first season as Head Football Coach at GSU to be considered a success.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

OL FU
June 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
SC:

Probably a lot to what you say.

Truthfully our GSU Eagles have lost that "speed" and "toughness" that characterized our winning teams of old, but I honestly believe those two things will be a'changin' under Coach Monken.

Problem is that those changes will take time, and since I'm almost 68 years old "more time" is not something my backpack is full of.. :):)

But, "it is what is is", and for the first time in a few years I'm really excited about our GSU Eagles BEGINNING to bring the program back where it needs to be.

Between the non-existent offense of the goober (BVGoober), and the "non-Hatch Attack" of the past two seasons the bar has been set so low we honestly don't have many places to go except up..

I'll be happy to see the program going back to it's roots, and I expect a dismal season or two until Coach Monken gets his "speedy" and "tough" recruits in place.

But if our Eagles can be "spoilers" a couple of times this upcoming season that'll be enough for me for Coach Monken's first season as Head Football Coach at GSU to be considered a success.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Obviously more the business of GSU fans than me, but I think that is the right approach. Be glad the program is going back to its roots, including lineage in coaching, and look for improvements and hope for the upset this year. The program went through a lot of BS the last four years and it might just take a little while to clear that BS out of the way.

Eaglesrus
June 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM

There are a few GSU fans that are probably more optimistic than is warranted, but I'm pretty confident that the vast majority of GSU fans are hoping that we'll be around .500 this year, with the announcement of Jaybo Shaw transferring to GSU being a key to us even hoping to get there. We are much encouraged about our future, however, and think that over the next three or four years we'll get back to truly being a force to be reckoned with. Personally, I think that another big piece of that is that the new president of GSU has given a lot of indication that he is a strong supporter of the athletic program. So, do we think we're a national contender this year? Perhaps an extremely few may. Do we think we'll be back to being a national contender over the next few years? I think that most of us think it's probable, and that does have us pretty excited after a very dark few years. You may say that's been the case before, but we were fairly well divided about the hire of Van Gorder and the move away from the TO, and then were excited to have anybody other than him, so I think that there are more solid reasons for us to be optimistic now than with the last couple of coaching changes. Anyway, time will tell, but to translate things said by one or two of our fans to mean that we all think that we are going to be contenders this year is quite a stretch.

PhoenixSupreme
June 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I put GSU in the lower half of the SoCon standings with the justification that teams that have to learn (or in this case, relearn) a different offensive scheme (and coach) tend to show signs of struggling to adapt and fit that scheme in their first year. It really doesn't come full swing until the second season. I would say Georgia Southern is probably gonna be a national contender in the third season

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I put GSU in the lower half of the SoCon standings with the justification that teams that have to learn (or in this case, relearn) a different offensive scheme (and coach) tend to show signs of struggling to adapt and fit that scheme in their first year. It really doesn't come full swing until the second season. I would say Georgia Southern is probably gonna be a national contender in the third season

I agree that GSU will probably be a lower half team this season, and then will show marked improvement. While it is virtually impossible to say anything with any certainty this far in the preseason, I think there is still a talent gap between GSU and the likes of App, Elon, Furman, and potentially Samford. All four of those teams pretty much handled the Eagles in 2009 without much difficulty.

I really find it difficult to pick them anywhere above those four teams. I think the Eagles can upset a team or two during the course of the season. I think App State needs to watch out on their trip to Boone, a road game that traditionally gives them fits. But, I would imagine that a successful season, where the program is right now, is to finish middle of the pack with a win over one of those four teams.

I personally think the Eagles are talented enough to secure wins over Sav. State, Coastal, and WCU. I see Navy as being an all but guaranteed loss. If they can pull out a win over Samford, Furman, App, or Elon, I think they have a good shot of a winning season.

OL FU
June 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I agree that GSU will probably be a lower half team this season, and then will show marked improvement. While it is virtually impossible to say anything with any certainty this far in the preseason, I think there is still a talent gap between GSU and the likes of App, Elon, Furman, and potentially Samford. All four of those teams pretty much handled the Eagles in 2009 without much difficulty.

I really find it difficult to pick them anywhere above those four teams. I think the Eagles can upset a team or two during the course of the season. I think App State needs to watch out on their trip to Boone, a road game that traditionally gives them fits. But, I would imagine that a successful season, where the program is right now, is to finish middle of the pack with a win over one of those four teams.

I personally think the Eagles are talented enough to secure wins over Sav. State, Coastal, and WCU. I see Navy as being an all but guaranteed loss. If they can pull out a win over Samford, Furman, App, or Elon, I think they have a good shot of a winning season.

I just wish we were playing them at the first of the seasons when there office would really be new

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I just wish we were playing them at the first of the seasons when there office would really be new

Fortunately for us, Furman gets to see the offense with the Citadel and Wofford. I imagine we will even be preparing for it during summer practices. That was certainly the exception, not the rule, in years past.

It reminds me of 2004 or 2005 when Furman played Wofford, GSU, and Nichols State three out of four weekends. There was only about 5 D-1 college football teams in the country that ran that offense, and Furman played three of them in succession.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM

A lot of our fans feel the same way, but I can't really say I agree. Offensively we were limited by two things...

1. A ridiculously young receiver corps...if you look at the top 6 players in terms of receiving yards, you have a sophomore and a freshman runningback, and three true freshmen wide receivers.

2. An offensive line that was anemic. This is a combination of coaching and youth. The OL should be improved and even if they are not they won't hurt us quite as much in this offense.

Talent-wise on defense I honestly think we are just as good as anyone in the conference. Yeah we got abused by App. but so did Furman and Richmond.

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
A lot of our fans feel the same way, but I can't really say I agree. Offensively we were limited by two things...

1. A ridiculously young receiver corps...if you look at the top 6 players in terms of receiving yards, you have a sophomore and a freshman runningback, and three true freshmen wide receivers.

2. An offensive line that was anemic. This is a combination of coaching and youth. The OL should be improved and even if they are not they won't hurt us quite as much in this offense.

Talent-wise on defense I honestly think we are just as good as anyone in the conference. Yeah we got abused by App. but so did Furman and Richmond.

I mean, that's true to some degree. Furman had a 24-0 lead at the half. Elon out gained the Eagles 357-22 in the first half. So both of those games were far more one sided than the scoreboard indicated. Also, a mediocre Samford offense put 31 on them.

I realize its hard to say year to year how a team will perform, but it wasn't as though GSU was just a play away from winning. Two of the games were blowouts and the other two were closer after the Eagles had to furiously play catchup in the second half.

Point being, I don't think GSU's defense will get them over the hump. I think it'll be much the same story. Defense will be good, but you have to score. Case in point is Furman's 2003 team. They surrendered a tiny 13.1 points per game, but averaged only about 14 a game on offense. You can't win if you can't score.

seantaylor
June 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Fortunately for us, Furman gets to see the offense with the Citadel and Wofford. I imagine we will even be preparing for it during summer practices. That was certainly the exception, not the rule, in years past.

It reminds me of 2004 or 2005 when Furman played Wofford, GSU, and Nichols State three out of four weekends. There was only about 5 D-1 college football teams in the country that ran that offense, and Furman played three of them in succession.

Wofford and GSU's option aren't much alike. GSU's flexbone is different in many ways, most notably, the type of speed that we use when we are running at full tilt. Woffie is a bigger team, that is a little more power based. El Chit is just going to be a nightmare. Switching the the option when they don't have one coach that has ever been as high as a coordinator coaching it. I don't think they win a game all year.

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Wofford and GSU's option aren't much alike. GSU's flexbone is different in many ways, most notably, the type of speed that we use when we are running at full tilt. Woffie is a bigger team, that is a little more power based. El Chit is just going to be a nightmare. Switching the the option when they don't have one coach that has ever been as high as a coordinator coaching it. I don't think they win a game all year.

That's true. Wofford and GSU run different formations of the same offense. Wofford will run out of the shotgun a good deal, which GSU won't. However, preparation and game planning, I would imagine, will be closely similar. It's all about assignment defense.

eaglewraith
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
That's true. Wofford and GSU run different formations of the same offense. Wofford will run out of the shotgun a good deal, which GSU won't. However, preparation and game planning, I would imagine, will be closely similar. It's all about assignment defense.

The beauty of our style of option in the past is that everyone always says to defend it you need to play "assignment defense." The other side of that is that even if you are playing assignments well, the person calling the plays (and PJ is a master at this) will make your assignments work against you and bam, there's a TD.

Cut and dry...the best way to shut down the GSU style option is to have a dominating DL. Break everything up in the backfield and the offense crumbles. See GT vs Iowa/LSU. Each time the DL OWNED the OL, and you saw the result. All this talk about assignments and all is well and good, but you let our OL control the line and you WILL make a mistake and we WILL capitalize, especially with someone sharp calling the plays and a heads up QB making the right reads.

SpeedkingATL
June 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I know the triple option has always given App fits as have many teams with highly moble QBs. Maybe they will get better at defending it by playing 3 teams in the SoCon that run a variation of it. I do think when the playoffs come and teams only have a few days to prepare it is a distinct advantage to run the option. Of course having guys like Ham, Foster, and Peterson doesn't hurt. I think this year will be difficult but by next year GSU will have more of the pieces in place to truly compete for the playoffs. They will have good coaching.

I'm not real thrilled that Furman has a mobil QB now to go with a strong RB tandem either...the type of offense that gives ASU fits.

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM
The beauty of our style of option in the past is that everyone always says to defend it you need to play "assignment defense." The other side of that is that even if you are playing assignments well, the person calling the plays (and PJ is a master at this) will make your assignments work against you and bam, there's a TD.

Cut and dry...the best way to shut down the GSU style option is to have a dominating DL. Break everything up in the backfield and the offense crumbles. See GT vs Iowa/LSU. Each time the DL OWNED the OL, and you saw the result. All this talk about assignments and all is well and good, but you let our OL control the line and you WILL make a mistake and we WILL capitalize, especially with someone sharp calling the plays and a heads up QB making the right reads.

That's true. Miami last season also beat GT to death up front.

It really is a masterful system. The offense utilizes wide splits and sets the offensive line back about as far off the ball as possible in an effort to take away a defensive linemans advantage either in leverage or in gap coverage. The quarterback could almost fall down and still gain yards.

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I know the triple option has always given App fits as have many teams with highly moble QBs. Maybe they will get better at defending it by playing 3 teams in the SoCon that run a variation of it. I do think when the playoffs come and teams only have a few days to prepare it is a distinct advantage to run the option. Of course having guys like Ham, Foster, and Peterson doesn't hurt. I think this year will be difficult but by next year GSU will have more of the pieces in place to truly compete for the playoffs. They will have good coaching.

I'm not real thrilled that Furman has a mobil QB now to go with a strong RB tandem either...the type of offense that gives ASU fits.

Unfortunate for the rest of the conference, but Furman is just about mobile QB exclusive these days. The top three guys on the depth chart (in no particular order), Forcier, Hollingsworth, and Worley, are all guys that can scoot.

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Just thought I would bump this back to the top since this weekend is the last of the regular season...interesting reading. :)

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Elon sure did fall off

Pretty much swap Elon and Chatty in most peoples predictions and it is correct.

asucrutch23
November 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Haha. 5th? Looks about right to me.

theasushow
November 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
most people had Wofford 5th-6th as well. they definitley overachieved IMO.

SideLine Shooter
November 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM

I still love this one. Here puppy, here puppy.

SideLine Shooter
November 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I would say that was a pretty good pick. I've said all along Elon was overated.

SideLine Shooter
November 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
IMHO you should check posts #15,16,21,66.

Thank you in advance.

Smitty
November 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
After looking at most of the predictions, they were pretty much correct maybe minus a little bit of Wofford action.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
After looking at most of the predictions, they were pretty much correct maybe minus a little bit of Wofford action.

and elon!

OL FU
November 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Like I said before, I got the top team right and the bottom team right. After that not one of my better picking years

Aho_Old_Guy
November 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Elon sure did fall off

Pretty much swap Elon and Chatty in most peoples predictions and it is correct.

Elon is a field goal kicker and 2 or 3 plays from being 9-2. They were 'skunked' twice in the red zone against Appalachian (not that they need, or want, me to defend them). I don't think there were any real surprises, even with WC. They were certain to rebound this year after all the injuries they had in 2009.

The SoCon was very competitive this year, as anticipated. The six top teams (even The Vermin xlolx ) were just a handful of plays away from completely reshuffling the standings.

Like I said before, I got the top team right and the bottom team right. After that not one of my better picking years

We'll give you a pass with a win this Sat :)

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
We'll give you a pass with a win this Sat :)

No thanks, OL FU is content without said pass.

Eaglesrus
November 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Well, somewhat mixed results on this so far, but I, for one, am happy with where we are. On the other hand, a win Saturday would make me a lot happier!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
No thanks, OL FU is content without said pass.

Hey ... we can't beat you xlolx

But maybe our other nemesis can!

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hey ... we can't beat you xlolx

But maybe our other nemesis can!

I thought when the other two members of the "trifecta of hate" played that the non-playing member always pulled for the meteor? :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Well, I was wrong about Chatty...crow eaten.

But I tried to tell folks GSU finishing in the bottom 3 wouldn't happen. I was right we'd be better on both sides of the ball.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Well, I was wrong about Chatty...crow eaten.

But I tried to tell folks GSU finishing in the bottom 3 wouldn't happen. I was right we'd be better on both sides of the ball.

So with GSU better, with Samford decent, and with Elon and Furman still very much in the mix... are the GSU fans saying the SoCon isn't nearly as bad as they were making it out to be the last few seasons? Because the only real thing to change was GSU's performance.

Eaglesrus
November 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
So with GSU better, with Samford decent, and with Elon and Furman still very much in the mix... are the GSU fans saying the SoCon isn't nearly as bad as they were making it out to be the last few seasons? Because the only real thing to change was GSU's performance.

That should be "some" GSU fans and they didn't speak for me.

OL FU
November 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM

I am not sure we qualify as in the mix. If we happened to beat GSU, that will be the second team with a winning season that we beat this year.

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I thought my Mocs would have a better team than '09 as far as talent and overall play went, but i figured with their schedule getting to 6 was going to be difficult. I'm happy I was wrong!!!!!!!

GunsAndGuitars
November 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM

The top team and the bottom two are generally a given anyway in the past 6 years. I'm afraid that top one might be more difficult in years to come, but I like what I see on the mountain.

seantaylor
November 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Eloan and Furman aren't in the mix. The Socon was dreadful the last couple of years. It is better, but far from where it was still.

OL FU
November 19th, 2010, 05:08 AM
The top team and the bottom two are generally a given anyway in the past 6 years. I'm afraid that top one might be more difficult in years to come, but I like what I see on the mountain.

I think the bottom was The Citadel and there was at least debate on that one

smallcollegefbfan
November 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
most people had Wofford 5th-6th as well. they definitley overachieved IMO.

Elon struggling and Citadel finishing in last place were a little bit bigger surprises than Wofford to me. I remember myself and a few saying Wofford is one to watch for because Ayers had a lot of experience because so many played last year due to injuries.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I thought when the other two members of the "trifecta of hate" played that the non-playing member always pulled for the meteor? :D

I'll admit my dislike for you is less than that of Vermin University, but I'm seriously worried that our Furple-Foes are in such drastic mental state, on and off the field, that this off-season they will consider dropping football entirely.

That would lead to endless Vermin braggadocio concerning their *all-time* dominance of Appalachian, preventing us from leveling our series over the next few years.

Much like the Appalachian dominance of GSU in the all-time series: 13-12-1 ...

xlolx

PhoenixMan
November 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Eloan and Furman aren't in the mix. The Socon was dreadful the last couple of years. It is better, but far from where it was still.
Elon lost in OT to Richmond, 34-31 in a heck of a game in Boone, and on a fluke last play vs. Wofford. GSU was the most disappointing loss. Not in the mix? Even with this disappointing season we still weren't as bad as the GSU Eagles have been for the last SEVERAL years. Glad to see you guys climb out of the cellar.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Every SoCon team other than Western and El Cid have been in the top-25 this season, and of course you know everyone has to play each other (unlike some conferences) so some teams will get knocked out. I would say this is definitely one of the more solid SoCons that I have seen.

parr90
November 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'll admit my dislike for you is less than that of Vermin University, but I'm seriously worried that our Furple-Foes are in such drastic mental state, on and off the field, that this off-season they will consider dropping football entirely.

That would lead to endless Vermin braggadocio concerning their *all-time* dominance of Appalachian, preventing us from leveling our series over the next few years.

Much like the Appalachian dominance of GSU in the all-time series: 13-12-1 ...

xlolx

I wouldnt call that dominance. You lead the series.