PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better QB Armanti Edwards or Steve Valentino?

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Vote simply AE, Tino, or they are equal?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
What was the inspiration for this? xconfusedx

4th and What?
May 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
What was the inspiration for this? xconfusedx

I would assume http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69417

busybee14
May 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Really!!!!!!
This must be a joke. AE is in a class all his own.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
xlolx

Wait, when did Dayton start playing football?

UNH Fanboi
May 22nd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ricky Santos!

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I had a tremendous respect for you until this Thread . This Poll is designed only to ridicule Dayton and Tino. I feel sorry for you as a Football fan. I will leave AGS,and will deleat all my posts. Thank you Small CollegeFBFan for waking me up.

xviolinx

SideLine Shooter
May 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
I had a tremendous respect for you until this Thread . This Poll is designed only to ridicule Dayton and Tino. I feel sorry for you as a Football fan. I will leave AGS,and will deleat all my posts. Thank you Small CollegeFBFan for waking me up.

bye bye!xlolxxhurrayx

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
xviolinx

I am sorry he felt that way. It was not meant to ridicule him. I was simply doing it as I said I would in the other thread to see if others aligned with the two Dayton fans. I was very curious to see what others outside of Dayton say. Tino is a very good player. We obviously weren't settling his argument in that thread so I figured a poll and people posting why would perhaps shed more light. It was not meant to have him leave AGS. I hope he comes back!

These fun spirited debates are always good for the board! xthumbsupx

401ks
May 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
"Better QB"?

Armanti Edwards

"Better FCS college football player"?

Probably Armanti Edwards

"Better athlete"?

Probably equal.

"Better student-athlete"?

Steve Valentino

"Better NFL Draft potential"?

Armati Edwards

"Better NFL career potential"?

(not a popular opinion), but probably equal

xtwocentsx

DetroitFlyer
May 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
What a joke.... Let's retitle this poll "Let's confirm the bias here at AGS". What a huge waste of time. I can actually feel my IQ dropping from being dumb enough to post on this thread.... xnonox

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
"Better QB"?

Armanti Edwards

"Better FCS college football player"?

Probably Armanti Edwards

"Better athlete"?

Probably equal.

"Better student-athlete"?

Steve Valentino

"Better NFL Draft potential"?

Armati Edwards

"Better NFL career potential"?

(not a popular opinion), but probably equal

xtwocentsx

Not smacking at all here and I honestly want a real answer... can you validate this? Is it simply because he plays at a non-scholly private school? Granted, Armanti didn't win a Rhodes Scholarship, but he did graduate in 3.5 years, making the Dean's List.

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
What a joke.... Let's retitle this poll "Let's confirm the bias here at AGS". What a huge waste of time. I can actually feel my IQ dropping from being dumb enough to post on this thread.... xnonox

What group could we poll that would provide you with valid results? According to you, anyone outside of the PFL is completely biased and just can't see the forest for the trees.

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Vote simply AE, Tino, or they are equal?

xoutofrepx

401ks
May 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Not smacking at all here and I honestly want a real answer... can you validate this? Is it simply because he plays at a non-scholly private school? Granted, Armanti didn't win a Rhodes Scholarship, but he did graduate in 3.5 years, making the Dean's List.

First of all, these are OPINIONS.

However, since you are "Not smacking at all here and ... honestly want a real answer..."

Steve Valentino is a two-time All-PFL Academic Team member and was named 2009 ESPN The Magazine First Team Academic All-District. He was a member of the National Honor Society in High School.

Armanti Edwards was not named to the 2009 SoCon Fall Academic All-Conference Team. He was not named to the 2008 SoCon Fall Academic All-Conference Team. Armanti has apparently been named to the Dean's List and academic honor rolls in the past, but I didn't research past 2008.

While Armanti Edwards appears to be a fine student (just as Steve Valentino appears to be a fine athlete), in this case I would have to say that Steve Valentino is probably the better student-athlete.

xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 12:59 PM

However, since you are "Not smacking at all here and ... honestly want a real answer..."

Steve Valentino is a two-time All-PFL Academic Team member and was named 2009 ESPN The Magazine First Team Academic All-District. He was a member of the National Honor Society in High School.

Armanti Edwards was not named to the 2009 SoCon Fall Academic All-Conference Team. He was not named to the 2008 SoCon Fall Academic All-Conference Team. Armanti has apparently been named to the Dean's List and academic honor rolls in the past, but I didn't research past 2008.

While Armanti Edwards appears to be a fine student (just as Steve Valentino appears to be a fine athlete), in this case I would have to say that Steve Valentino is probably the better student-athlete.

xthumbsupx

Good answer, thanks for the info! Sounds like a great kid! xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM

xthumbsupx

There is no doubt I believe Tino is smarter but how did the argument go from who is the better player or athlete to who is smarter? Obviously, you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar or make the academic all-district team to be a two-time Walter Payton Award Winner and 3rd round draft pick. I definitely don't doubt the intelligence of Tino but if we are talking about the smartest players then you need to look to the Ivy League as schools such as Harvard, Yale, etc. In fact, Harvard has produced the only perfect score on the Wonderlic test by a player that I know of.

401ks
May 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
There is no doubt I believe Tino is smarter but how did the argument go from who is the better player or athlete to who is smarter?

Please read this entire thread. I started the "argument" by opining that Tino was a better "student-athlete" than AE. I then backed that opinion up with facts.

Also, being a better "student-athlete" does not mean that one is "smarter". Hard work and diligence plays a large part in one's success as a student (-athlete).

I definitely don't doubt the intelligence of Tino but if we are talking about the smartest players then you need to look to the Ivy League as schools such as Harvard, Yale, etc. In fact, Harvard has produced the only perfect score on the Wonderlic test by a player that I know of.

We aren't talking about the "smartest players" in college football. It was simply an opinion about who might be the better "student-athlete": Tino or AE

The original poll query did not ask who was the best QB in college football. It only asked if AE or Tino was the "better" QB.

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
There is no doubt I believe Tino is smarter but how did the argument go from who is the better player or athlete to who is smarter? Obviously, you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar or make the academic all-district team to be a two-time Walter Payton Award Winner and 3rd round draft pick. I definitely don't doubt the intelligence of Tino but if we are talking about the smartest players then you need to look to the Ivy League as schools such as Harvard, Yale, etc. In fact, Harvard has produced the only perfect score on the Wonderlic test by a player that I know of.

401ks indicated that he thought SV was a better student-athlete. He is entitled to his opinion and I asked him for a little background info. I just want to make sure that people understand AE is not a moron.

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
401ks indicated that he thought SV was a better student-athlete. He is entitled to his opinion and I asked him for a little background info. I just want to make sure that people understand AE is not a moron.

He definitely isn't a moron. Anyone who truly knows will tell you that he is smart. NFL teams talked about how smart he was on the board going over plays. He knows the game of football and he is fairly book smart too. I was just saying that based on academic accomplishments Tino has done more. It doesn't mean AE is dumb. Just like while AE is the better athlete and football player it does not mean Tino is not athletic or good because Tino is a good athlete and a very good football player. He wins and he produces.

BarefootApp
May 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
It must be April 1st. You gotta be kidding.....2 Walters, 10,000/4,000, 2 NC, 4 SoCons, 4 All-Am.......

ThompsonThe
May 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Armanti Edwards was offerred a full scholarship to Harvard.

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
It must be April 1st. You gotta be kidding.....2 Walters, 10,000/4,000, 2 NC, 4 SoCons, 4 All-Am.......

According to detroitflyer it is all because of bias...

blukeys
May 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Armanti Edwards was offerred a full scholarship to Harvard.

According to detroitflyer it is all because of bias...

AppAlum2003
May 22nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
Same post, Hmmmmm are you and AppAlum2003 Husband and Wife?? Girl friends?? Boy Friends ?? Same person ?? Or just 2 different Jerks that think alike.

A little of each, actually... xsmiley_wix

bluehenbillk
May 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
If ever a thread just dripped of penis envy....

Before reading this I never even heard of Valentino.

Head Cat
May 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
I guess you missed that Edwards the year BEFORE the Michigan upset had led Appalachian State to its second straight FCS national championship. No reason to have heard of him or ASU before Michigan.

ThompsonThe
May 23rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Better yet, who cares who Valantino is? Was this started by a cousin of Valantino?

SideLine Shooter
May 23rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
I guess you missed that Edwards the year BEFORE the Michigan upset had led Appalachian State to its second straight FCS national championship. No reason to have heard of him or ASU before Michigan.

Did that really happen?:)

Just kidding, and thanks for the pub. Some people on here probably didn't know that, seriously.

udchuck
May 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Better yet, who cares who Valantino is? Was this started by a cousin of Valantino?

Actually it was started by a Appalachian State Fan, [Small CollegeFBFan] looking to downgrade the PFL.All you have to do is look on top as to who started it. Now, how can ANYONE start a Thread Polling a college player to a Pro player????It's a shame he started this Joke of a Thread at the expense of a good Kid that has no idea this is happening.And as far as I'm concerned Any one posting on this Thread is contributing to this ugly situation. This ugly thread is the reason most of these Forums DIE. This one almost did. Looks like it may die again,this time for good.

Saint3333
May 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Actually it was started by a Appalachian State Fan, [Small CollegeFBFan] looking to downgrade the PFL.All you have to do is look on top as to who started it. Now, how can ANYONE start a Thread Polling a college player to a Pro player????It's a shame he started this Joke of a Thread at the expense of a good Kid that has no idea this is happening.And as far as I'm concerned Any one posting on this Thread is contributing to this ugly situation. This ugly thread is the reason most of these Forums DIE. This one almost did. Looks like it may die again,this time for good.

Why are you crying, YOU started the comparison and this "ugly situation" when you said and I quote:

"Tino is a GREAT football player. every bit as great as AE."

You can't make claims to build up the PFL and not expect someone to call you on those claims.

udchuck
May 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Why are you crying, YOU started the comparison and this "ugly situation" when you said and I quote:

"Tino is a GREAT football player. every bit as great as AE."

You can't make claims to build up the PFL and not expect someone to call you on those claims.

Read the entire post,Just don't take it out of context.The discussion at the time was comparing the two Players as Athletes, ATHLETES, NOT AS A QB. A Total all around Football player athletically.Tino played multiple positions, very well.in his High School and college years. He had very little experience as a QB. It was conceded multiple times AE was the Much better QB. Taller ,heaver,much,much,more experienced. already proven being drafted by a Pro Team. So how can anyone put up a Poll like this??I'll never understand. It was malicious,Period. And after reading this and you still think it's still justified then I also feel sorry for you. And.BTW "Tino is a GREAT football player. every bit as great as AE."I will add,( but not strictly as a QB.but athletically.) LOL Also, what makes you think I'm trying to build up the PFL ?? I don't think it needs building up,It's OK just the way it is.Thank you.

Below is the entire post in question

Originally Posted by udchuck

Yes,I know, If I would have said UD is D-1 I'm sure some poster would have corrected me as D1 AA ,you know PFL down on the bottom of the barrel.
And please allow me to make one last statement. Tino is a GREAT football player. every bit as great as AE. ( My own humble opinion.)
AE is a better QB only because of his greater size, and his experience at the College level.Only as a QB.

Saint3333
May 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
The remainder of the post does not really help, no need to feel sorry for me.

QB is the ultimate position for a football player.

If someone makes a claim like you did, someone posting a poll to refute those statements isn't really uncalled for. You may be upset that you made a statement which 99% of the FCS thinks is inaccurate, it is OK to admit you were wrong and move on. Good luck to the PFL for the purposes that they serve.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM

xviolinx

UNIFanSince1983
May 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
The remainder of the post does not really help, no need to feel sorry for me.

QB is the ultimate position for a football player.

If someone makes a claim like you did, someone posting a poll to refute those statements isn't really uncalled for. You may be upset that you made a statement which 99% of the FCS thinks is inaccurate, it is OK to admit you were wrong and move on. Good luck to the PFL for the purposes that they serve.

But don't you realize it is because we non-PFL fans on AGS have a bias against anyone from the PFL.

AppIAA
May 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Yes,I know, If I would have said UD is D-1 I'm sure some poster would have corrected me as D1 AA ,you know PFL down on the bottom of the barrel.
And please allow me to make one last statement. Tino is a GREAT football player. every bit as great as AE. ( My own humble opinion.)
AE is a better QB only because of his greater size, and his experience at the College level.Only as a QB.

How can you make that claim when you have only seen AE play QB (and probably only highlights at that)? Yes, Tino might have played several positions, and was not experienced at QB where AE was.. But, how can you say someone is as good of a FOOTBALL player, when you have never seen one of the players play any other position? Can't make that argument..

ur2k
May 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I voted for Valentino simply because I was curious to see how many others did. With my vote, it brought that total up to 3.xlolx

AE is one of the best to ever play at this level and this was the first time I've ever heard of Steve Valentino.

DetroitFlyer
May 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I voted for Valentino simply because I was curious to see how many others did. With my vote, it brought that total up to 3.xlolx

AE is one of the best to ever play at this level and this was the first time I've ever heard of Steve Valentino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZG1Rb7us4

Here are a few highlights to bring you up to speed on Tino.

mrklean
May 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Jayson Foster was better than Both.................lol

ur2k
May 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks, I googled him too - seems like a fashionable character. I had no idea

http://blog.nj.com/fashiontoday/2007/09/valentino_75_announces_his_ret.html

http://blog.nj.com/fashiontoday/2007/09/large_VALENTINO.jpg

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
How can you make that claim when you have only seen AE play QB (and probably only highlights at that)? Yes, Tino might have played several positions, and was not experienced at QB where AE was.. But, how can you say someone is as good of a FOOTBALL player, when you have never seen one of the players play any other position? Can't make that argument..

Nobody has pointed this out but how can AE only be better because of size? He is better than half the QBs in this past draft and he was the smallest of the bunch selected. xchinscratchx

Bottom line here is that Tino is a very good player who will dominate his league but AE is a great player who dominated his league and did well in the league above it when he had to step up to play in it.

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM

I had seen those before I believe. They are pretty good. One thing I don't think is right on there though is the 4.44 40. He doesn't look near that fast on the film. I think he is pretty fast but he looks more like a 4.55-4.60 40 type than a 4.44 guy. I will be curious to see what grade he got from NFL teams and what he clocked for them.

AppAlum2003
May 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Foster was really special and a very special athlete, but c'mon...

mrklean
May 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Foster was really special and a very special athlete, but c'mon...

I just looked at what he did as QB!! Facts are facts

AppAlum2003
May 24th, 2010, 06:24 PM

You know just as well as the rest of us do that he was more of a RB than a QB. I really don't think you can compare their careers. Trust me, he scared me every time he touched the ball. I just don't think you have enough evidence to back up your claim. If Foster had played 4 years at QB, you could have an argument.

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM

I think Roman Gabriel was better than all of them put together!

udchuck
May 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I think Roman Gabriel was better than all of them put together!

Your right " You can't cure stupid"

DJOM
May 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Valentino.

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Your right " You can't cure stupid"

I do hope you realize I was being just a little bit sarcastic.

Read the posts on this board and you will realize "You can't cure stupid."

udchuck
May 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Just curious, Have you heard of the other 250 QB's in the FCS??Do you follow the PFL league ?? No,was probably the answer to both Questions. So how in this creation can you hear of Tino ?? He was not a QB until the 2009 season and only because of injuries to the QB's the first game of the year. The previous years he was a WR and kick returner. That's why this poll is ridiculous.It was started to get the very reaction you made .You had a good laugh.

AppIAA
May 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Just curious, Have you heard of the other 250 QB's in the FCS??Do you follow the PFL league ?? No,was probably the answer to both Questions. So how in this creation can you hear of Tino ?? He was not a QB until the 2009 season and only because of injuries to the QB's the first game of the year. The previous years he was a WR and kick returner. That's why this poll is ridiculous.It was started to get the very reaction you made .You had a good laugh.

Why don't you respond to my post that throws everything back at you? Or did you just casually over read that one?

ur2k
May 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM

If the player is claimed to be good enough to be compared to one of the best ever (at this level) to play a position, you would think the common FCS fan (me, in this case) would have heard of the guy.

Or a more succinct response

xviolinx

BTW - don't take this stuff so seriously, you're starting to sound like your b-ball fans whining about losing to Xavier every year. xpopcornx

udchuck
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
If the player is claimed to be good enough to be compared to one of the best ever (at this level) to play a position, you would think the common FCS fan (me, in this case) would have heard of the guy.

xviolinx

BTW - don't take this stuff so seriously, you're starting to sound like your b-ball fans whining about losing to Xavier every year. xpopcornx

This is a Fruitless discussion,It at this point I Quit responding, I'm trying to figure a way to explain things,but can't seem to. Now, this guy brings in the Basketball team.Why???? Tell you what,Take your violin and play until you drop. I have better things to do. The Golf course is waiting for me.
BTW, It will be Fruitless to respond to this post as far as I'm concerned because I will not be back. continual playing your violin. it shows your mentality.

udchuck
May 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Why don't you respond to my post that throws everything back at you? Or did you just casually over read that one?

Man go get a Life OK. Trying to reason with you guys is like trying to reason with my dogs. It can't be done.

ur2k
May 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
It's easy fishing in these waters, you hardly need any bait.

xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM
This is a Fruitless discussion,It at this point I Quit responding, I'm trying to figure a way to explain things,but can't seem to. Now, this guy brings in the Basketball team.Why???? Tell you what,Take your violin and play until you drop. I have better things to do. The Golf course is waiting for me.
BTW, It will be Fruitless to respond to this post as far as I'm concerned because I will not be back. continual playing your violin. it shows your mentality.

xviolinxxviolinxxviolinx

udchuck
May 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
xviolinxxviolinxxviolinx

LOL Idiot ,can't you type,your only post's are all violins.Come off the Mountain and get some fresh oxygen maybe your brain will work better. Got to go,have a great day with your pet rocks.

AppIAA
May 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Man go get a Life OK. Trying to reason with you guys is like trying to reason with my dogs. It can't be done.

HAHA, so your argument is you said Valentino is as good of a football player as AE and but not necessarily as good a QB because of experience right? This is turned against you, and all you can say is get a life? I was just using the argument you used -- you can't compare the 2 as QBs because Valentino has only played one season at QB. That, to me, is a fair statement. But in the same turn, you can't compare the two as football players because you have not seen AE play anything other than QB..

That is reasoning my friend.. in fact, that is reasoning using your exact logic.. You just don't want to/can't accept it..

DetroitFlyer
May 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM

xviolinx

BINGO! It is simply amazing how folks on this particular board cannot see the forest through the trees.... I could tell you, but PLEASE put at least a little bit of effort into this.... Why has the so called "average" FCS fan not heard of Tino? It is obviously not because he is not one of the best players in FCS.... It is not because his team has failed, (Dayton was PFL Co-Champion in 2009). It is not because he was not recognized by his league, (2009 PFL offensive player of the year).

If it were not for me, most on this clueless board would not have heard of Tino.... Frankly that is just sad and should point out one of the glaring concerns with AGS.

Lucky for you and many others, I will probably stick around and maybe even post a Tino watch for the 2010 season here so that you, the "average" FCS fan is not so clueless going forward....

As for Xavier, I seem to recall my Flyers spanking them good last year when we played in Dayton.... I also seem to recall my Flyers winning the NIT.

DLS
May 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM

stirring the pot in 3 . . . 2 . . . . 1 . . . .

if armanti had been ellegable for payton votes in 2007 then he would have won over foster. xwhistlex

401ks
May 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
xcoffeex

For better or for worse, this is the most "ink" that Steve Valentino has ever received on AGS.

As they say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

xsmiley_wix

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
BINGO! It is simply amazing how folks on this particular board cannot see the forest through the trees.... I could tell you, but PLEASE put at least a little bit of effort into this.... Why has the so called "average" FCS fan not heard of Tino? It is obviously not because he is not one of the best players in FCS.... It is not because his team has failed, (Dayton was PFL Co-Champion in 2009). It is not because he was not recognized by his league, (2009 PFL offensive player of the year).

If it were not for me, most on this clueless board would not have heard of Tino.... Frankly that is just sad and should point out one of the glaring concerns with AGS.

Lucky for you and many others, I will probably stick around and maybe even post a Tino watch for the 2010 season here so that you, the "average" FCS fan is not so clueless going forward....

As for Xavier, I seem to recall my Flyers spanking them good last year when we played in Dayton.... I also seem to recall my Flyers winning the NIT.

xviolinx

Would you guys just STOP whining for respect! I doubt most of this board can name a single player on Richmond besides Aaron Corp ... and Aaron Corp wasn't even on our team last fall. WHO CARES!?

At this point, I could only name a handful of players on JMU, WM, UD, Villanova, UNH, App State ... and beyond that the only name of a FCS player I know is Deji Karim (he still plays for SIU, right).

... and I know more about FCS than most!

STOP IT! xbangx

AppIAA
May 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
and beyond that the only name of a FCS player I know is Deji Karim (he still plays for SIU, right).

... and I know more about FCS than most!

No, he does not play for SIU any more.. he got drafted in the 6th round by the Jaguars... You sure you know more than most? ;)

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
xcoffeex

For better or for worse, this is the most "ink" that Steve Valentino has ever received on AGS.

As they say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

xsmiley_wix

No doubt about that. We will all be looking in on him this year!