PDA

View Full Version : Blog: TXST Expresses Interest in Four Conferences

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Well, the San Marcos Daily Record is now reporting that at some level or another, the TXST athletic department has spoken to four conferences regarding membership...

According to a high source within the Texas State Department of Athletics, the Bobcats have expressed high interest in joining four Football Bowl Subdivision conferences when the NCAA moratorium is lifted in 2011.

Texas State has talked with Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and the Western Athletic Conference about joining once movement is allowed.

http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/05/college-athletics-texas-state.html

Now, let's start the poll - which is the conference, in which you see TXST landing?

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
Chances:

Sun Belt? Maybe
WAC? Slim
C-USA? Slim just left town
MWC? No chance

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they can only join one conference.....

;)

slycat
May 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM
I see it in this order:

WAC
Sunbelt
CUSA
MWC

Cocky
May 22nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
If expansion happens the WAC would be the easiest to get into. Unless some other school express interest in FBS there are not a lot of options for the WAC if they lose some members. Plus the conferences that are to be raided that do not have a farm system, like the WAC and SunBelt may need to consider having a few extra members.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
For me, the WAC comes down to La Tech.

If La Tech bolts, the WAC just does not make any sense for TXST. La Tech wants to bolt and there's a mutual understanding there. If La Tech stays, the WAC would want to form an 'eastern division', but how willing are schools like North Texas, La-Lafayette, UTSA, Arkansas State to go to the WAC over the Sun Belt?

The Sun Belt comes down to what schools leave. Being a 10/12 league (with USA coming aboard) is pretty ideal. Denver is not ideal, but now with UNO out, they now have a balanced league for scheduling in hoops and volleyball. Baseball is already a strong entity and with 10 teams in the league, if the SBC would like - they could have nine conference games and three OOC games. This heightens their chance at a bowl.

C-USA. Doubtful.

I really think C-USA would like to the SBC and WAC (La Tech), possibly even MAC before adding any FCS. The only FCS likely is upstart UTSA, who yes - has the advantage over TXST because they are further along in the process and have shown an outright commitment to football at the highest-level (plus great future scheduling).

Mountain West is not a possibility. Dream on!

Division I Independent would be foolish, since the SLC would boot them out (most likely - they are discussing the same with UTSA this June). Also, you got that provision that will be voted on that would force them to have a conference and not able to be an independent if FBS is the direction.

slycat
May 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
WAC - seems most open to expansion
Sunbelt - open to adding FCS teams if spot is open
CUSA - only one spot open and there are better options then Texas St
MWC - glad they are pursuing it but its more of a dream then an option

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
This is like discussing what your favorite boiled vegetable is. Whatever it is is going to be bland, tasteless and boring, so why bother? Similarly, Texas State will lose money and not play in bowl games in the WAC or Sun Belt, and there's zero chance they'll be invited to C-USA or the MVC.

slycat
May 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
This is like discussing what your favorite boiled vegetable is. Whatever it is is going to be bland, tasteless and boring, so why bother? Similarly, Texas State will lose money and not play in bowl games in the WAC or Sun Belt, and there's zero chance they'll be invited to C-USA or the MVC.

And yet for the majority of our fanbase they are all more interesting options then the SLC.

Its just how football is in Texas

49RFootballNow
May 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
This blog title is interesting because last I checked it was conferences that express interest in teams and not the other way around. I can say that UNC Charlotte has interest in joining the SEC, ACC, Big East and Big 10 but that don't mean jack! Its what the conferences want that matter in this case.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
This blog title is interesting because last I checked it was conferences that express interest in teams and not the other way around. I can say that UNC Charlotte has interest in joining the SEC, ACC, Big East and Big 10 but that don't mean jack! Its what the conferences want that matter in this case.

In the case of TXST, they are trying to keep interest in the program on the 'up and up', especially with what's happening on I-35 at UTSA with plenty of positive announcements pertaining to their attempt at FBS.

TXST needs to show 'The Drive' for FBS is still very much alive to many of their publics, most notably the individuals who will give $$$ to the program and to conferences keeping an eye on the progress in San Marcos.

UTSA has been very 'out in the open' about the positive steps being made, as well as the AD's recent comments that a waiver is likely. TXST is more in the closed-door meetings making things happen. Their fans want to hear positive news and it's tough to come by.

DG Cowboy
May 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM
The Sun Belt wouldn't want them in to show how an SLC team could do very well there. The WAC is the only option I see, in a mass expansion. D 1 Indy is more possible from a growth to a good FBS conference progression. But then, what do I know???

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
The Sun Belt wouldn't want them in to show how an SLC team could do very well there. The WAC is the only option I see, in a mass expansion. D 1 Indy is more possible from a growth to a good FBS conference progression. But then, what do I know???

Are we sure an SLC team could do well over there?

ULM was not too shabby - they were not great - in many of their sports offerings. That's fallen substantially in the Sun Belt. I guess it's not the best comparison, since TXST would enter the SBC with substantially more money than anything ULM could muster...

Either way, still not overly convinced an SLC school can just go in and take care of things. There'd definitely be a few year adjustment period...

DG Cowboy
May 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Either way, still not overly convinced an SLC school can just go in and take care of things. There'd definitely be a few year adjustment period... The Terror

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historically, the SLC has done well against UL-L and ULM in several sports. McNeese also beat FIU the only time they played in FB. I don't say TX St would go in and clean house, but I think several SLC schools would be very competitive.

49RFootballNow
May 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
In the case of TXST, they are trying to keep interest in the program on the 'up and up', especially with what's happening on I-35 at UTSA with plenty of positive announcements pertaining to their attempt at FBS.

TXST needs to show 'The Drive' for FBS is still very much alive to many of their publics, most notably the individuals who will give $$$ to the program and to conferences keeping an eye on the progress in San Marcos.

UTSA has been very 'out in the open' about the positive steps being made, as well as the AD's recent comments that a waiver is likely. TXST is more in the closed-door meetings making things happen. Their fans want to hear positive news and it's tough to come by.

You mean TxSt has actual local media that know they exist and actually try to help keep interest in the program up and don't spend 99.9% of their sports reporting effort making sure their subscribers know what Mack Brown had for breakfast each morning? WOW! Must be nice.xnonono2x

txstatebobcat
May 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
WAC at this time is probably the best possibility.

Personally I just don't see a huge difference between SLC and the Sunbelt. Keep in mind that half the teams we play would be coming to our house, TxSt I feel would have come anywhere near 3rd to 5th place last year in the SBC.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Historically, the SLC has done well against UL-L and ULM in several sports.

ULL and ULM are the worst funded schools in the Sun Belt, if not at the FBS level. Their current funding is similar to the current funding of some of the SLC Texas schools, if not below it!

If you look at the SBC overall Commish Cup standings, those two are near, if not at the bottom amongst the football schools.

I don't say TX St would go in and clean house, but I think several SLC schools would be very competitive.

If you read the SBC boards, they talk about how WKU thought they could come in and do well in football (thought lowly of the SBC in football) - but, boy they were wrong. I think an SLC school could be competitive, but winning a few games may be tough to come by.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
WAC at this time is probably the best possibility.

Personally I just don't see a huge difference between SLC and the Sunbelt. Keep in mind that half the teams we play would be coming to our house, TxSt I feel would have come anywhere near 3rd to 5th place last year in the SBC.

Again, it is opinion. I mentioned WKU in my prior post as thinking they could do well based on their prior experience and they sure did not. The SBC football product is seemingly, not as bad as we all make it out to be...

In other sports, the SBC is a good way ahead of the SLC - particularly women' sports, where TXST seems to have their most success. That league put in two softball teams, two VB teams (in recent years, have put in three) and had a fair share of success in other women's sports (including hoops). Men's hoops has not been as good, but in other sports not named baseball- the SBC is about 10 spots up the RPI ladder from the SLC.

txstatebobcat
May 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I agree with you that in almost everything beside football, the SBC is a better conference than the Southland. In football however, SLC holds its own against the Sunbelt.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I agree with you that in almost everything beside football, the SBC is a better conference than the Southland. In football however, SLC holds its own against the Sunbelt.

In one game...and again, against the 'weakest links' known as the two Louisiana schools, who are grossly underfunded compared to the other schools...

How would McNeese do against Florida Atlantic in a home-and-home? TXST against Troy? SFA against Middle Tennessee? Hard to make a comment about apples and oranges, when you are comparing apples and plums to start with.

Redbird Ray
May 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
If you read the SBC boards, they talk about how WKU thought they could come in and do well in football (thought lowly of the SBC in football) - but, boy they were wrong. I think an SLC school could be competitive, but winning a few games may be tough to come by.

WKU would have finished in the bottom third of the MVFC this year. That program did not enter into FBS with a whole lot of mojo (from a competitive standpoint). If their recruiting is as good as the WKU folks say it is/will be, they should have no problem compteting in the SB this year, and down the road.

I think Texas State will do fine on the field in either the Sun Belt or WAC. I for one, would like to see the Sun Belt evolve more. If they could steal a bowl or two from CUSA, and maybe expand the league to 12 members with a championship game in say, New Orleans, I think it would be a fun league to follow, or in Texas State's mind, be a part of.

But I voted for the WAC for Texas State because:

1) I don't think La Tech will get a CUSA invite and it seems La Tech would rather stay in a Boise-less WAC than join the SB
2) Because Boise to the MWC seems like a done deal (and I would bet Fresno is in this conversation as well), the WAC will be looking for new members wherever they can get them.