PDA

View Full Version : a possible game with the gamecocks

dungeonjoe
January 6th, 2006, 05:38 AM
from The State newspaper:

South Carolina did not have to look far to find a team to fill the vacancy on this year’s football schedule.
USC and Wofford have agreed in principle to a one-year contract to play in Williams-Brice Stadium this fall, according to a source familiar with the discussions. The Terriers replace Central Florida, which told USC officials in November that it had scheduled too many games and would not play in Columbia on Sept. 16.The date of the Wofford game has not been finalized. USC and Mississippi State are working with ESPN to move their Sept. 23 game in Starkville to Aug. 31 for broadcast on ESPN’s popular Thursday night package.
If the Mississippi State date is changed, USC and Florida Atlantic would have to find another day to play their game, which is scheduled for Sept. 2.
“We’re not there, yet,” USC athletics director Eric Hyman said.Shortly after Clemson and USC announced in July that they had scheduled Florida Atlantic for ’06, a legislator from Charleston wrote to both schools, encouraging them to consider the state’s Division I-AA teams for future schedules.
Hyman, a former coach and administrator at Furman, said this week he prefers playing in-state schools in guarantee games.
“It just makes so much more sense to play an established I-AA team in the state of South Carolina as opposed to playing teams that the Carolina family is not familiar with,” he said.
Wofford athletics director Richard Johnson said the NCAA’s switch to a 12-game schedule for Division I-A teams this year has created more opportunities for I-AA schools such as Wofford, which finished 6-5 in 2005.

Nice comments from Hyman. I am glad to see USC is trying to work some in state I-AA to their schedule. It is early yet, a couple of things to work out.
Good exposure (and no doubt a payout) for Wofford.

Fordham
January 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Sounds great, Joe.

Any idea of the payout you'll have coming?

dungeonjoe
January 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM
don't have the article in front of me, but seems like $300k

BestOfBreed
January 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM
This would be very good news. I had heard we were trying to get South Florida but I guess McNeese State took that spot.

BestOfBreed
January 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The article says Wofford usually receives a payout between $225,00 and $375,000.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Let's hope it happens. Would be nice to see the Terriers against the Spurriers :smiley_wi

carney2
January 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I understand the payday. I understand the yearning for headlines. I even understand, but question, the potential bump in recruiting for Wofford. What I don't understand is the euphoria from non-Terriers at this site. It is just going to be another non-competitive whooping (are you listening, Youngstown State?!) which can only reenforce the opinion of I-AA as second class football citizens in the mind of the general public. And then you wonder why I-AA and its playoiffs doesn't get more play in the national press. :argue:

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I understand the payday. I understand the yearning for headlines. I even understand, but question, the potential bump in recruiting for Wofford. What I don't understand is the euphoria from non-Terriers at this site. It is just going to be another non-competitive whooping (are you listening, Youngstown State?!) which can only reenforce the opinion of I-AA as second class football citizens in the mind of the general public. And then you wonder why I-AA and its playoiffs doesn't get more play in the national press. :argue:

It is an in-state David and Goliath. Furman, ASU, Citadel and others have won these games. Not that the Terriers will win it, but it will still be fun. and that is what this is about.

I would like for it to have been Furman. We have not played USC since the early 80's (a game we won)

carney2
January 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
It is an in-state David and Goliath.

I would like for it to have been Furman. We have not played USC since the early 80's (a game we won)

You mean David and Goliath, like:

Cal Poly @ Southern Cal
Texas State @ Texas
Grambling @ LSU
James Madison @ Virginia Tech
Youngstown State @ (fill in the blank)

These are games I'd pay $50 bucks to see. :rolleyes:

The problem is that in real life David gets his a-double squiggle handed to him and it provides no real service to I-AA football.

South Carolina football, pre Spurrier - no, I'll say pre Holtz - was D-II played in a big stadium. Even little Lafayette used to play - and beat - Pitt and Penn State back in the days of the leather helmet. We don't talk about it anymore.

I am being contentious with this one because I really don't understand these matchups.

dungeonjoe
January 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Cal Poly @ Southern Cal
Texas State @ Texas
Grambling @ LSU

The problem is that in real life David gets his a-double squiggle handed to him and it provides no real service to I-AA football.

South Carolina football, pre Spurrier - no, I'll say pre Holtz - was D-II played in a big stadium. Even little Lafayette used to play - and beat - Pitt and Penn State back in the days of the leather helmet. We don't talk about it anymore.

I am being contentious with this one because I really don't understand these matchups.

you make some good points. USC (there is only ONE according to the Carolina people) has had a spotty record with I-AA squads over the years. They lost to the Citadel and Furman in the past 25 years. For this small state, this will be a big deal for Wofford alumni (most of whom are SC natives) who live and work with people who love Carolina more than Peter loved the Lord.

I imagine the Shamecocks didn't play Furman for two reasons: 1. FU is committed to play UNC in 2006. 2. They are scared :eek: of a I-AA powerhouse. (probably more one than two) :) :)

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Cal Poly @ Southern Cal
Texas State @ Texas
Grambling @ LSU

Not quite, probably more like lower level SEC (Vanderbuilt) or mid level Old ACC type of team.

And yes you are being contentious. No one is telling Lafayette to go play Penn St. Furman is playing Va Tech in a couple of years. Other than it being a money game, I don't understand it. In Virginia, only the most die-hard FU fan will attend. Now, any school within a three hour drive is a different matter. We have discussed all the reason for these games, money, the players want them, etc. But whether you believe it or not, the fans want them. Is it possible that someone gets killed, yes, but until that happens we will enjoy thinking about the possibility of winning and just might pull it off.

PS, I would not pay $50 to see LAfayette play Penn State, But I would pay $50 to see Furman play USC :p

bandl
January 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM

If you had paid $50 to cover the spread for VT over JMU, you would have lost! JMU covered the 50-point spread by 3 points! Woohoo! JMU is the greatest spread killer in ALL the land!!! Down with the I-A almighty infidels!!! :hurray:

Bulldog87
January 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Good luck Wofford if you play USC. Get the money and the experience. Question,Haven't you played at USC in the recent past? No smack or hate towards The Terriers here I enjoy playing you guys and have lot's of family and friends in the upstate that love to attend a game at Gibbs. Do you know why USC and Clemson will have a somewhat of a rotating schedule with all of the D-1AA schools in SC except SCSU? There's news of an USC vs Charleston Southern game in the near future as well as Coastal. SCSU is only 44 miles from Columbia and we play them in every sport except Football. Just wondering. Hope to meet some of you Terriers at the Tailgate when we play you this year.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
you make some good points. USC (there is only ONE according to the Carolina people) has had a spotty record with I-AA squads over the years. They lost to the Citadel and Furman in the past 25 years. For this small state, this will be a big deal for Wofford alumni (most of whom are SC natives) who live and work with people who love Carolina more than Peter loved the Lord.

I imagine the Shamecocks didn't play Furman for two reasons: 1. FU is committed to play UNC in 2006. 2. They are scared :eek: of a I-AA powerhouse. (probably more one than two) :) :)

The are skeered :)

I have heard a lot of people say that about USC and FU and can never determine if they are serious ( I know you aren't) . Any major conference I-A is not scared of I-AA regardless of the results of the previous game. Took a look at the UNC board not long ago and even though Furman smacked them the last time we played, that game is already in their win column :smiley_wi

And you know something, while as an FU fan I don't think they should count their chickens quite so fast, if I were a Tarheel, I would feel exactly the same way. :nod:

HiHiYikas
January 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
They lost to the Citadel and Furman in the past 25 years.

Track back to 30 years, and you can add ASU to that list. We played Gamecocks 9 times between 1972 and 1988. We only won one of them (in 1975), but fans tend to agree that we benefited from the series.

I think Furman will give UNC a run for its money. Probably moreso than ASU will at NCSU. I can't imagine the upheaval in the Carolinas' college football world if ASU, Furman, and Wofford beat NC State, UNC, and USC. That would be blissful to say the least.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Good luck Wofford if you play USC. Get the money and the experience. Question,Haven't you played at USC in the recent past? No smack or hate towards The Terriers here I enjoy playing you guys and have lot's of family and friends in the upstate that love to attend a game at Gibbs. Do you know why USC and Clemson will have a somewhat of a rotating schedule with all of the D-1AA schools in SC except SCSU? There's news of an USC vs Charleston Southern game in the near future as well as Coastal. SCSU is only 44 miles from Columbia and we play them in every sport except Football. Just wondering. Hope to meet some of you Terriers at the Tailgate when we play you this year.

I don't know why they would not play State. However, I will also wait and see if USC continues to play I-AA. While Clemson did (and FU was a usual opponent) I can't remember USC playing I-AA in recent years. The 12 game schedule and the ability to count a I-AA win towards bowls might change that. I do remember FU play Florida while Spurrier was there but I don't remember Florida playing a lot of I-AA teams.

Also, I don't have a problem with I-A teams not playing instate I-AA until they do what Holtz (or the AD or whoever ) did which is play Troy but not play an in-state I-AA.

CoastalFan2005
January 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
There's news of an USC vs Charleston Southern game in the near future as well as Coastal.

I gotta know where do you get your news from, because it's a better source than mine, LoL! :D

The only mention I've heard of a CCU @ USC game is that it would happen "in our dreams." Although it would have a halfway decent "storyline" to lead up to the game.

The strongest rumor here in Conway is that our first I-A game will be @ Penn State in 2007, because our AD played football for JoePa. This is, of course, assuming that JoePa is still at Penn State in 2007.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I gotta know where do you get your news from, because it's a better source than mine, LoL! :D

The only mention I've heard of a CCU @ USC game is that it would happen "in our dreams." Although it would have a halfway decent "storyline" to lead up to the game.

The strongest rumor here in Conway is that our first I-A game will be @ Penn State in 2007, because our AD played football for JoePa. This is, of course, assuming that JoePa is still at Penn State in 2007.

My guess is that Gamecock fans would prefer not to have these games. They would probably be livid if a game was with Charleston Southern.

CoastalFan2005
January 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
My guess is that Gamecock fans would prefer not to have these games. They would probably be livid if a game was with Charleston Southern.

You're probably right. Although, I think that a couple of us I-AA's in the state could have beaten the tar out of USC in Holtz' later years.
:eek:

Bulldog87
January 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
All of this stuf came up when the legislator came up with the idea of the 2 1-A schools playing the instate 1-AA schools. I agree with the idea. It was reported in lots of differnt media outlets and in a variety of games were propsed for the near future. The only glaring one 1-AA scholl missing from all of these scenarios was SCSU. I know 1st hand that for years dating back to Jefferies 1st coaching term with STATE that we've been trying to get games with USC and Clemson. Citadel home and home for that matter. USC and Clemson have played Furman,Citadel and Wofford multiple times since then and hasn't played us once to date in Football. Although SCSU has been playing Football since the early 1900's on record and CSU and Coastal are recent programs I see them getting games with the "Big 2" SC schools before we do. :eyebrow:

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Hyman, a former coach and administrator at Furman, said this week he prefers playing in-state schools in guarantee games.
“It just makes so much more sense to play an established I-AA team in the state of South Carolina as opposed to playing teams that the Carolina family is not familiar with,” he said.

I'd love seeing some sort of NCAA legislation requiring I-A schools to offer games to any I-AA schools in their state before scheduling any out-of-state I-AA's.

I'm not crazy about playing out of division in the first place, but I really hate seeing LSU playing the Citadel or Western Illinois instead of McNeese or Northwestern, and NC State playing EKU or Richmond instead of ASU. If a state university is going to schedule a payout game, that payout might as well stay in the state.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I'd love seeing some sort of NCAA legislation requiring I-A schools to offer games to any I-AA schools in their state before scheduling any out-of-state I-AA's.

I'm not crazy about playing out of division in the first place, but I really hate seeing LSU playing the Citadel or Western Illinois instead of McNeese or Northwestern, and NC State playing EKU or Richmond instead of ASU. If a state university is going to schedule a payout game, that payout might as well stay in the state.

I agree with the concept but I don't agree with legislation. :nono:

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
All of this stuf came up when the legislator came up with the idea of the 2 1-A schools playing the instate 1-AA schools. I agree with the idea. It was reported in lots of differnt media outlets and in a variety of games were propsed for the near future. The only glaring one 1-AA scholl missing from all of these scenarios was SCSU. I know 1st hand that for years dating back to Jefferies 1st coaching term with STATE that we've been trying to get games with USC and Clemson. Citadel home and home for that matter. USC and Clemson have played Furman,Citadel and Wofford multiple times since then and hasn't played us once to date in Football. Although SCSU has been playing Football since the early 1900's on record and CSU and Coastal are recent programs I see them getting games with the "Big 2" SC schools before we do. :eyebrow:

I remember the legislator making the comments. As I said in a different post, I agree with his sentiment but it is not the business of the legislature (mho)

I cannot remember USC play a I-AA since the Citadel in the early 90's. But that may be correct. Clemson has play alot including FU in 2003.

They should play State. My guess is their attendance for such a game would be much better than for a Furman game because State would travel better especially to USC

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I agree with the concept but I don't agree with legislation. :nono:

Oh, come one, legislation is what the NCAA does best! Have you ever seen one of the compliance manuals? It's about four million pages...

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Oh, come one, legislation is what the NCAA does best! Have you ever seen one of the compliance manuals? It's about four million pages...

That's true but I got the subjects mixed up. I missed the NCAA part and I thought we were talking about the state legislature. Oops and sorry.

But you know what that would do. I-A that does not want to play an in-state would just not play I-AA.

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I cannot remember USC play a I-AA since the Citadel in the early 90's.

Soused Caramelizer's last I-AA game was Wofford in 2001. Since then, they've been scheduling I-A's dregs for their payout games: Troy, ULaLa, Temple, NMSU, UAB.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Soused Caramelizer's last I-AA game was Wofford in 2001. Since then, they've been scheduling I-A's dregs for their payout games: Troy, ULaLa, Temple, NMSU, UAB.

Thanks, shows you how much attention I paid. :eek:

BestOfBreed
January 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Only reason we got them in 2001 was the September 11th cancelations. They couldn't makeup their I-A dreg game so they went with us. They won't play down a division because they need all the wins they can get to be bowl eligible.

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
But you know what that would do. I-A that does not want to play an in-state would just not play I-AA.

So if I'm an AD at I-A school looking to fill out my dance card, here are my alternatives:

1. Offer a game to an in-state school.
2. Schedule a crappy I-A team for a payout game.
3. Schedule a I-A team for a home-and-home.

I think most I-A's already try #2 now, and only schedule I-AA's when there are no #2 alternatives available.

And I don't see any I-A school choosing #3 because $$$ talks.

So if I'm Alabama's athletic director, I offer the game to Jack State, and remind my football coach that he has a 22-scholarship advantage, which means he'd better win.

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
So if I'm an AD at I-A school looking to fill out my dance card, here are my alternatives:

1. Offer a game to an in-state school.
2. Schedule a crappy I-A team for a payout game.
3. Schedule a I-A team for a home-and-home.

I think most I-A's already try #2 now, and only schedule I-AA's when there are no #2 alternatives available.

And I don't see any I-A school choosing #3 because $$$ talks.

So if I'm Alabama's athletic director, I offer the game to Jack State, and remind my football coach that he has a 22-scholarship advantage, which means he'd better win.

I am not disagreeing with you but Alabama and Auburn don't play Jack ST.
Georgia Tech will play Jacksonville St but will not play Georgia Southern. It is just the way it seems to be for some I-As.

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I am not disagreeing with you but Alabama and Auburn don't play Jack ST.
Georgia Tech will play Jacksonville St but will not play Georgia Southern. It is just the way it seems to be for some I-As.

You honestly think Alabama would rather fill the 11th game on the schedule with at home and home against somebody like Wake Forest than play Jack State at home two years in a row?

No way.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
You honestly think Alabama would rather fill the 11th game on the schedule with at home and home against somebody like Wake Forest than play Jack State at home two years in a row?

No way.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Yep, When have they played them?

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM

No way.

When have they played them?

I don't know who Alabama would rather play. But they don't play Jack St.
My guess from the comments of JSU people on here is that they would play an out of state I-AA before Jacksonville ST. That was the point