PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Predictions

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2010, 05:19 PM
What is everyone's SLC picks? I'll go a step further and put projected records, but encourage others to contribute at least an order of finish!

SFA 8-3 (7-0)
UCA 8-3 (5-2)
SLU 8-3 (5-2)
McN 5-6 (4-3)
TXST 5-6 (3-4)
SHSU 5-6 (2-5)
NWST 4-7 (2-5)
NICH 1-10 (0-7)

SFA wins the outright trip to the NCAAs via the AQ. SLU and UCA will be interesting...

I have SLU losing at UCA and at SFA, with a split of FBS games (not sure how it will come). That split of FBS games may be enough to make up for the 0-2 against the other two SLC elite.

UCA is losing to SFA on the road and falling at home to McNeese with plenty on the line. UCA does have a sub-Div I game, which could bite them in the tail as far as playoffs are concerned, but at 7-3 in Div I games and a win over SLU, could get them in.

McNeese75
May 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Interesting,

IMO, SFA will lose at least two games in conference (one of those will be at McNeese by the way) My pick for the conference champ will be SLU. With that being said and McNeese in a wait and see mode on a transfer QB, we shall see.

NSUDemon98
May 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
What is everyone's SLC picks? I'll go a step further and put projected records, but encourage others to contribute at least an order of finish!

SFA 8-3 (7-0)
UCA 8-3 (5-2)
SLU 8-3 (5-2)
McN 5-6 (4-3)
TXST 5-6 (3-4)
SHSU 5-6 (2-5)
NWST 4-7 (2-5)
NICH 1-10 (0-7)

SFA wins the outright trip to the NCAAs via the AQ. SLU and UCA will be interesting...

I have SLU losing at UCA and at SFA, with a split of FBS games (not sure how it will come). That split of FBS games may be enough to make up for the 0-2 against the other two SLC elite.

UCA is losing to SFA on the road and falling at home to McNeese with plenty on the line. UCA does have a sub-Div I game, which could bite them in the tail as far as playoffs are concerned, but at 7-3 in Div I games and a win over SLU, could get them in.

I predict that we'll win AT THE VERY LEAST one game this season... xhurrayx

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM

I would hope so! If you had to put a number on it, what would you place it at?

Interesting, IMO, SFA will lose at least two games in conference (one of those will be at McNeese by the way) My pick for the conference champ will be SLU. With that being said and McNeese in a wait and see mode on a transfer QB, we shall see.

I originally had SFA losing one game, but I'm not convinced that McNeese can win an offensive showdown with the Lumberjacks (home or away).

SLU is going to get plenty of love. Hope they are ready to deal with the preseason hype that they are bound to receive...

MaximumBobcat
May 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Depending on QB play for the Bobcats, I think the rest of the pieces on the team have the capability of going anywhere from 4-7 to 9-2.

NSUDemon98
May 22nd, 2010, 10:41 PM

I originally had SFA losing one game, but I'm not convinced that McNeese can win an offensive showdown with the Lumberjacks (home or away).

SLU is going to get plenty of love. Hope they are ready to deal with the preseason hype that they are bound to receive...

I would rather not make any specific predictions...because if I say 5 wins then we surely end up with 1. xlolx

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Depending on QB play for the Bobcats, I think the rest of the pieces on the team have the capability of going anywhere from 4-7 to 9-2.

Problem for TXST lies in road trips to Houston and the two SLC favorites - SLU & SFA. Throw in closing with two road games - McNeese and SHSU - it'll be tough for the Bobcats.

Not saying SHSU or McNeese are world beaters, but if TXST needs to close out the season with two wins for a potential playoff berth or a chance at the SLC title, it'll be tougher to come by on the road.

McNeese75
May 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM

Well there is where we differ, I do not think there will be an offensive showdown this year. I think the SFA offense is going to get throttled in Lake Charles for sure and probably elsewhere as well. We have seen what happens to Moses when the heat gets cranked up (see Tx State and Montana last year) and the heat will be coming this year.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well there is where we differ, I do not think there will be an offensive showdown this year. I think the SFA offense is going to get throttled in Lake Charles for sure and probably elsewhere as well. We have seen what happens to Moses when the heat gets cranked up (see Tx State and Montana last year) and the heat will be coming this year.

Moses has improved each year, despite the odds stacked against him and at times, talent that was perceived to not be able to be parts of a well-oiled SLC championship squad.

McNeese75
May 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Moses has improved each year, despite the odds stacked against him and at times, talent that was perceived to not be able to be parts of a well-oiled SLC championship squad.

Wait and see xnodx

DG Cowboy
May 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
SLU - Mike Lucas is solid.
McN - Cowboys usually do well when they get no respect.
SFA - Can they pull a double when everyone is waiting for them?
UCA - Quite a talent pool all to themselves.
NW - Can't see the Demon pride not playing extra hard.
TX ST - Roster additons are always interesting .
SHSU - New coach, new culture could be dangerous.
Nich - Been known to ruin some parades

There TT. Read 'em and weep, or laugh!

McNeese72
May 23rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Two things about McNeese:

1. The defense looks to be very improved next season.

2. Transfer QB make be in the works.

Doc

txstatebobcat
May 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM

Personally I think that you guys will come back strong this year.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Personally I think that you guys will come back strong this year.

It's always so tough to get a good read on NWST.

They have the "smoke and mirrors" act going for them. You never know how much to buy into it and what to believe! Many thought they'd be a whole lot better than whatever that disaster on the field was last year. Myself included.

I should know better. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
May 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I originally had SFA losing one game, but I'm not convinced that McNeese can win an offensive showdown with the Lumberjacks (home or away)....

I don't know that it's a foregone conclusion that McNeese would have to win an "offensive showdown" with SFA. Their defense may match up well with SFA's offense. Remember, SFA had 270 total yards and 16 points against McNeese playing at home last year. Moses was 18 of 34 for 226 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. McNeese had a very young defense. Without looking it up I think they started four freshmen and one sophmore in their 5 man secondary. They will have almost everybody back on defense this year.

McNeese did not have a good defense last year. But it sure seemed to match up well with what SFA was doing. And it should be much better this year.

JohnStOnge
May 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
My picks would at this point would be:

SFA
SELA
McNeese
UCA
Texas State
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Nicholls State

I'm putting SFA first because they do have their QB returning. SELA I put second because they have to come up with a new quarterback as does McNeese. And they'll be playing McNeese in Hammond. The rest are just kind of "feel" except I have Nicholls State last because they're so dramatically changing their systems.

As a McNeese fan I pretty much think it all comes down to whether or not McNeese can find a quarterback. If they find even a decent quarterback they're a contender for the title. Losing running back Javaris Murray to injury during Spring was a huge blow but they still should otherwise be pretty loaded if they find a quarterback. And, frankly, they dominated SFA statistically on the road last year and lost because of mistakes. I'm not really that concerned about SFA because I saw in that game that McNeese matches up very well with the Lumberjacks.

txstatebobcat
May 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM

They have the "smoke and mirrors" act going for them. You never know how much to buy into it and what to believe! Many thought they'd be a whole lot better than whatever that disaster on the field was last year. Myself included.

I predicted them to be near last place last year. I was very impressed with their freshman QB last year and lets face it, it should be a down year for the SLC this upcoming season.

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
UCA wins Conference in runaway with McNeese and one other SLC team earning an At-Large Bid.

lionsrking2
May 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
As usual, I won't make predictions, but I like where we are heading into the fall...we're healthy coming out of spring practice, and outside of breaking in a new starting QB, we're in really good shape as far as depth, experience and talent on both sides of the ball...should be an interesting year for Lions' fans, to say the least.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
SELA will win it going away.

Yarborough is a beast...their defense is pretty good. Plus, it's tradition--I pick them every year. :D

BTW, Texas State won't be too horrible. Bush, solid WR corp, improving defense. But you didn't hear that from me. xshhhx

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yarborough is a beast...their defense is pretty good. Plus, it's tradition--I pick them every year. :D

Tommy Connors returns! Will be the Connors of old?

BTW, Texas State won't be too horrible. Bush, solid WR corp, improving defense. But you didn't hear that from me. xshhhx

I want to know more about your quarterback situation.

I am under the impression you lost your reigning starting quarterback and your top option at replacing him as left, most likely for UTSA. That'll sting if it is UTSA, wouldn't it?

JohnStOnge
May 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
SELA will win it going away.

You know, if all the information I had was how other teams looked when McNeese played against them last year Southeastern would have looked like the best FCS team the Cowboys played except New Hampshire. And McNeese played Appalachian State. I was shocked when SFA blew them out like they did because SFA didn't look nearly as good physically against McNeese as Southeastern did.

Also, there's that thing where Southeastern got just completely blown out 44-13 by South Dakota. I suspect the Lions had a consistency problem.

lionsrking2
May 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Also, there's that thing where Southeastern got just completely blown out 44-13 by South Dakota. I suspect the Lions had a consistency problem.

Actually we had an "injury" problem coming off a very physical game at Ole Miss...not to mention South Dakota was pretty good, especially so in their own building...Dakota Dome is a tough place to play...we turned it over in the second half, and what was a close game at half turned into a blowout.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM

SLU will have to be relatively consistent this year, especially since they play two FBS games and may have to win one to have a legitimate shot at an at-large bid, if they were to fall short in their pursuit of the Southland Conference automatic berth.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Adding Lindy's SLC projections to this topic...

Southland
1. SFA
2. Texas St
3. McNeese St
4. UCA
5. SELU
6. NW St
7. SHSU
8. Nicholls St

OFF POY: Jeremy Moses
DEF POY: Jabara Williams

McNeese75
June 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Lindy's is completely worthless xcoffeex

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM

I agree...

Outside of SFA at No. 1 and Nicholls at No. 8, it's just hard to justify most of the placements by Lindy's. The closest thing outside of those is a possible nailed target on SHSU/NWST (though I have them flip-flopped in my projections).

I just can not imagine SLU finishing fifth, let alone lower than third!

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
I agree...

Outside of SFA at No. 1 and Nicholls at No. 8, it's just hard to justify most of the placements by Lindy's. The closest thing outside of those is a possible nailed target on SHSU/NWST (though I have them flip-flopped in my projections).

If the injury bug does not bite, I see SLU in the top two this year.

GeauxLions94
June 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM

We've also seen what happens to Moses when he (and a good majority of the team) goes out on the town a couple of nights before a playoff game in Missoula. xwhistlex

jhanel
June 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
This is just how I see it as pre-season. Not the final standings.

Southland
1. SFA
2. SLU
3. McNeese St
4. UCA
5. SHSU
6. NSU
7. Texas St
8. Nicholls St

Only reason I have Texas State so low, is because the team revolved around George. He has now moved on. If they get the QB squared away they could be top 3 again.

RabidRabbit
June 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
We've also seen what happens to Moses when he (and a good majority of the team) goes out on the town a couple of nights before a playoff game in Missoula. xwhistlex

;) Really? Not xliarx

Granted SDSU's bandwagon (and team) wheels came off in Missoula the week before, so that SFA had the opportunity to play in Missoula, but the 2nd group of Jacks looked absolutely lost playing the Griz.xtwocentsx

If so, that, and the biting cold meant no wheels for SFA from the get-go.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Only reason I have Texas State so low, is because the team revolved around George. He has now moved on. If they get the QB squared away they could be top 3 again.

You took the words right out of my mouth and you are someone who is not perceived to have this bias against TXST that I do... xrotatehx

No matter how you break it down, TXST does not have a quarterback on their staff presently that has proven themselves, let alone in position to move the team from an offensive standpoint, to the top half of the league. Key to this is this year as Arndt may develop, but like Moses - not someone that could part the Red Sea his first year...

GeauxLions94
June 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
If the injury bug does not bite, I see SLU in the top two this year.

As long as our QB doesn't get smacked on the game's first series by a blitzing McNeese linebacker, we should be fine.

That was a nasty (and clean) hit on Babin. The rest of the year, he couldn't throw it from one end of your computer screen to the other. xeekx

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Better tell your new QB to DANCE cause that LB is back, xnodx xlolx

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth and you are someone who is not perceived to have this bias against TXST that I do... xrotatehx

No matter how you break it down, TXST does not have a quarterback on their staff presently that has proven themselves, let alone in position to move the team from an offensive standpoint, to the top half of the league. Key to this is this year as Arndt may develop, but like Moses - not someone that could part the Red Sea his first year...

xrolleyesx Sounds like another team I am familiar with.

DG Cowboy
June 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Keep hoping Jacob Bower shows up in August.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
xrolleyesx Sounds like another team I am familiar with.

Yes, but we're not being projected in the top three by anyone!

Everyone has us bottom two or three with Northwestern State and Nicholls. SHSU fans will agree with the assessment, even with Rollison.

New coach.
Lots of young players (half the two-deep is redshirt freshmen or sophomore).

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yes, but we're not being projected in the top three by anyone!

Everyone has us bottom two or three with Northwestern State and Nicholls. SHSU fans will agree with the assessment, even with Rollison.

New coach.
Lots of young players (half the two-deep is redshirt freshmen or sophomore).

xlolx Come on TT, don't be so paranoid, I was talking about the Cowboys :D

(DG Got it xhurrayx)

TXST_CAT
June 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
We haven't had any problems preparing our young QBs. Many questioned George and he faired well. Also new QB coach with more experience than Travis Bush coming our way via LSU. As for Soza being our top replacement that's false. If he is headed to UTSA so be it he was a backup no matter how you spin it.

msusig
June 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Here's my preseason shot at the SLC rankings in 2010:
1.) SELA - Guess they are the favorite to win.
2.) McNeese - we find a qb, but playing 2 quality FBS teams hurt.
3.) Central Arkansas - They are still dangerous.
4.) Sam Houston - The dark horse
5.) SFA - I don't think they can repeat last years success.
Unofficial 6.) Lamar - Transfers help them win a few
7.) Texas State - Has potential, but not good enough for SLC top 4
8.) NWst - Improves this year by at least one spot.
9.) Nicholls - This seasons bottom dwellers.

Do you think Lamar will be as good as SELU and Central Arkansas were in their first or second seasons? If they are they could shake up the standings in the SLC.

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
We haven't had any problems preparing our young QBs. Many questioned George and he faired well. Also new QB coach with more experience than Travis Bush coming our way via LSU. As for Soza being our top replacement that's false. If he is headed to UTSA so be it he was a backup no matter how you spin it.

xrolleyesx Hummmm, former QB coach from LSU who had such wonderful QB play last year and based on the spring game will have another great one this year xeyebrowx

Remind me again, where did the SLC coach who went 0-11 last year come from? xsmiley_wix

(JOKE, it's a JOKE!!!!)

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
Here's my preseason shot at the SLC rankings in 2010:
1.) SELA - Guess they are the favorite to win.
2.) McNeese - we find a qb, but playing 2 quality FBS teams hurt.
3.) Central Arkansas - They are still dangerous.
4.) Sam Houston - The dark horse
5.) SFA - I don't think they can repeat last years success.
Unofficial 6.) Lamar - Transfers help them win a few
7.) Texas State - Has potential, but not good enough for SLC top 4
8.) NWst - Improves this year by at least one spot.
9.) Nicholls - This seasons bottom dwellers.

Do you think Lamar will be as good as SELU and Central Arkansas were in their first or second seasons? If they are they could shake up the standings in the SLC.

I am guessing NOT!! :D

txstatebobcat
June 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
Overall I think this is going to be down year for the Southland. To many teams will be playing with new QBs for the offenses not to be affected. No one will be undefeated in conference play. There will be co-champions and multiple 2nd and 3rd place winners just like at my daughter's gymnastics competition a couple of weeks ago where everybody got a ribbon.

Co-Champs (automatic bid to playoffs)TxST- Am I a homer? Absolutely. With that Said, here is my reasoning. Last I heard Karrington Bush's (new comer of the year in 2007, All SLC in 2008) recuperation is ahead of schedule and with the addition of Marcus Curry (Transfer from Navy with 8.2 YPC in 2009) and an experienced O-line coming back leads me to believe we will have one of the premier rushing games in the SLC if not the nation. This will allow sometime for the QB to develop going into conference play. While our downfall the QB position is inexperience, we have two very talented QBs that will fight it out in the fall. There will be several new players at the D-line position which will improve the defense enormously. Last but not least, in the last two years TxSt is undefeated in the state of Louisiana where we play two of the biggest contenders for the SLC crown (MSU and SLU).

Co-Champs (playoffs) -McNeese State- I believe that the cowboys will have the best defense in the SLC this upcoming season. They return almost everyone in what was a fairly decent defense last year. While the Cowboys also lack a QB at this time, they return almost their entire O-line and a couple of RBs, who aren't Todrick Penland, they do have the talent and potential to fill his shoes. Besides this is McNeese State we are talking about, last year I, and a lot of other people, were looking forward to MSU having a down year and eating some humble pie, yet they responded with a 9-3 record and a conference co-championship. The only reason I didn't put them in first place was because in the last several years the visiting team always wins in the TxST vs MSU series.

2nd place- SLU (playoffs)- The lions remind me of SFA last year in that they have a ton of people returning and experience is always good. However SLU does have consitency problems. In SLC play last season the lions looked like playoff contender one week and then turn around get beat like a drum the following week. However with all the experience coming back as well as no major coaching changes during the off season leads me to believe that SLU will finally have some consistency in their game.

2nd place- SFA- Yes they return a lot of people including their QB, yes they have the favorable schedule, but I'm still not sold on SFA. They surprised a lot of people last year, which is certainly not going to be the case this year. Not with the humongous target on their back as the unanimous pick for SLC champs. The other thing is that Moses is not really all that great a QB, rather he is the definition of the system QB. After several years in the same offense you would think he would learn not to throw so many interceptions, but I predict that this year he will throw almost as many int's as touchdown passes which will nullify the great defense the Jacks have.

3rd place -Northwestern State- Overall I still think that the demons are a year or two away from being true contenders, however I was very impressed with their freshman QB when the bobcats played them last year. I believe the young man was a true freshman who started his first game vs the bobcats. TxST was lucky to come out with a win, and if you look at last years scores you can easily notice the improvement the demons made towards the end of the season. I personally think the improvement will continue and will translate into wins. For what its worth, the game vs. Northwestern State in San Marcos is the one that worries me the most.

3rd place- UCA- I couldn't find much information on UCA, but I seem to remember that the bears had a senior laden defense which could mean problems this year. Apparently the bears just got a very talented QB transfer from Arkansas, the problem is that this QB has no real experience just yet. Until I find some more information on UCA I will just leave them here for the moment.

3rd place- Sam Houston- "man they're young" was the first thought that came to mind when I started reading the list of starters. The bearkats have just two senior starters on their entire two deep. Like UCA SHSU got a very talented QB transfer, but like the rest of his teammates he is also very inexperienced at the college level. In 2011 and in 2012 Sam Houston should be amongst the favorites for the SLC crown, in the meantime however bearkat fans should expect a lot of growing pains.

4th place- Nicholls State- What can I say. I wouldn't have picked them very high if they kept the option. Now that they've gone to a more mundane offense I have some doubts whether they will win a game or not.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
txstatebobcat,

Wow...

NWST in a similar spot as UCA? You still have plenty of information that you need to find! FYI - they already had a transfer QB on the roster (Nathan Dick).

TXST and McNeese as the co-champs? In a league known for quarterback play, you went with the two teams that have conceivably the biggest question marks at the position in wake of the Soza transfer and the young Fourroux career-ending injury...

txstatebobcat
June 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
txstatebobcat,

Wow...

NWST in a similar spot as UCA? You still have plenty of information that you need to find! FYI - they already had a transfer QB on the roster (Nathan Dick).

TXST and McNeese as the co-champs? In a league known for quarterback play, you went with the two teams that have conceivably the biggest question marks at the position in wake of the Soza transfer and the young Fourroux career-ending injury...

Yeah, I thought about and said, "what the heck" nobody ever gets this things right, not in the southland anyway. I doubt Nathan Dick will see the field as a starter, last I heard he hasn't impressed anyone. I know they have another transfer from Arkansas coming in, but more than anything I think they will have to many questions on defense this year.

As far as McNeese and TxSt: well part of it is the homer in me to put TxSt up so high, but I based it on my belief that both TxSt and MSU will have strong running games and much improved defenses. This, I believe, will allow the QBs to develop in the OOC games to make a strong run at the SLC title.

TxST with all its QB questions still returns something like 7-8 of its top receivers from a year ago including the top two.

McNeese75
June 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
txstatebobcat,

Wow...

I am not saying I agree with his picking Tx State and McNeese to finish at the top but I do not buy into your crowning of SFA just because Moses returns. Bobcat and Cowboy fans have seen the chink in his armour and if he slides a litte on SLU they are going to light him up this year as well. xnodx

Your prognosis on the MSU offense is relevent with the QB talent we have at this time. If this guy shows up in August then you might need to rethink things xlolx

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i705r5NI8cw

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
FYI - Dave Campbell Texas Football Magazine ranks it the following per the SMDR...

1. SFA
2. McN
3. UCA
4. TXST
5. SLU
6. SHSU
7. NWST
8. Nich

SLU and McNeese can flip-flop in my opinion. Once you correct that, I am fine with everything else.

McNeese75
June 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
FYI - Dave Campbell Texas Football Magazine ranks it the following per the SMDR...

1. SFA
2. McN
3. UCA
4. TXST
5. SLU
6. SHSU
7. NWST
8. Nich

SLU and McNeese can flip-flop in my opinion. Once you correct that, I am fine with everything else.

There will be NO flip flop from 2nd to 5th by the Cowboys. You can flip flop SFA and SLU and you might be closer.

AxeEmJacks
June 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
1. SFA
2. McN
3. UCA
4. TXST
5. SLU
6. Nich
7. NWST
8. SHSU

Just a prediction.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Phil Steele's top four in the SLC...next to their top 40 ranking.

10. McNeese St
12. SF Austin
29. Texas St
33. Central Arkansas

I just hope that I am right about SLU. Can not imagine them falling all the way to fifth (if they are that high) in the SLC.

McNeese75
June 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Southland
1. SLU
2. McNeese
3. SFA
4. Texas State
5. UCA
6. Northwestern State
7. SHSU
8. Nicholls St

My xtwocentsx

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Here is my predictions, and why.

#1.) Stephen F Austin - With Jeremy Moses back, SFA should no doubt be able to put up plenty of points. But will it be the offensive juggernaut that it was most of last season without its top 2 RB’s as well as its top two WR’s from last year. Also, while the D should still be good, how will the loses of Tim Knicky and Cory Barlow affect the defense.

#2.) Texas State - The Bobcats will have to find a way to replace QB Bradley George. Although who ever the replacement is, will have the best returning corps of skill position players in the conference to help him out. The other big question for the Bobcats is will they find a way to improve upon the next to last ranked run defense in the SLC. The secondary should prove to be one of the best in the SLC, but unless the Bobcats can find a way to get some pressure on the QB, it will not matter.

#3.) Southeastern Louisiana - If Tyler Beatty looks like he did against Central Arkansas all year, SELU will once again have one of the most potent offenses in the SLC. However, he followed up the UCA game with horrible preformances against SFA and Northwestern State. And the return of Tommy Conners will help SELU have one of the best pass defenses in the SLC as well. The question on defense is will a defense that gave up the 3rd most yards per game on the ground, as well as the 4th most points per game improve on its numbers. If it can, SELU will be among the best teams in the SLC for sure.

#4.) McNeese State - The Cowboys should once again have a very solid defense. The question will be how will they manage to replace all the starting skill position players including two of the SLC’s best in Todd Pendland and Derrick Fourroux. However, the defense that was #3 in total defense and #3 in scoring defense is returning all but 1 full time starter.

#5.) Central Arkansas - Nathan Dick will lead an offense that is without the only two RB’s that got significant carries last year, as well as will be without its top two WR’s, and minus 3 of its starting OL. The defense that was #1 in the SLC in scoring defense, #1 in total defense, #1 in rushing defense and #1 in pass defense will be returning just 1 full time starter and 2 part time starters. And will have a hard time coming close to posting the same type of season again.

#6.) Northwestern State - The Demons will have to find a replacement RB and replace 8 of the 11 starters on the defense. However, there are some bright sports for the Demons as well as Paul Harris (81-144-978-5) was only a freshman last year, and most of his weapons at WR from last year are all returning as well. Plus all but 1 member of the OL is returning. On defense however, all but 3 members of the defense will have to be replaced from a unit that was already 6th in the SLC in total defense and 7th in scoring defense.

#7.) Sam Houston State - The Bearkats will have to replace all but one starter from the offense last year. But, the transfer of Tyrik Rollison does give the Bearkats some hope that they will have a good QB. However who he will be getting the ball to is a huge question mark. The Bearkats will have to replace the whole defensive line and one of its LB’s, but the secondary that allowed the 3rd best completion percentage against and was second in INT’s in the league returns. However it will need to improve upon a league worst 9.1 yards per completion and league worst 28 TD’s allowed.

#8.) Nicholls State - The Colonel’s will have to replace most of the both the heart of the offense as well as the heart of the defense. The only key returner on offense is QB LaQuintin Caston, and will need to improve on his freshman season if Nicholls is going to have an improve season. On defense, most of the defenses top players are also gone, so there will have to be some younger players step up for Nicholls to improve on defense.

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Will someone please explain to me what all the love for UCA this year? They have Nathan Dick at QB, but he is unproven, and they lost their main offensive weapon in Grimes, as well as their top 2 WR's. Not to mention they are only returning 1 full time starter and 2 part time starters on defense.

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
#8.) Nicholls State - The Colonel’s will have to replace most of the both the heart of the offense as well as the heart of the defense. The only key returner on offense is QB LaQuintin Caston, and will need to improve on his freshman season if Nicholls is going to have an improve season. On defense, most of the defenses top players are also gone, so there will have to be some younger players step up for Nicholls to improve on defense.

FYI - Caston is being moved to WR. This is a whole new offense for the Colonels. Will be interesting to see who emerges at QB and how well they produce in their first year of a transition away from the option.

Will someone please explain to me what all the love for UCA this year? They have Nathan Dick at QB, but he is unproven, and they lost their main offensive weapon in Grimes, as well as their top 2 WR's. Not to mention they are only returning 1 full time starter and 2 part time starters on defense.

They also have the other Arkansas QB transfer - Youngblood.

Lots of confidence around the league in what Clint Conque is able to do and they should easily be able to finish in the middle of the pack. With McNeese and SLU going to Conway, Ark - it does not hurt. Very favorable schedule with final two games at home in league play.

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM

This is just how I see it as pre-season. Not the final standings.

Southland
1. SFA
2. SLU
3. McNeese St
4. UCA
5. SHSU
6. NSU
7. Texas St
8. Nicholls St

Last year, Texas State relied heavily on Bradley George, because we did not have a running game, without Karrington Bush. This year, we have Karrington Bush back plus have Marcus Curry a transfer from Navy who averaged over 8 yards a carry (80-611-5).

If you look at our 2008 stats when we had a deep array of RB's, we actually ran the ball more than we threw the football. Plus with our depth at WR (arguablly the deepest WR corps in the SLC) all we need from our QB this year is to not lose the game and get the ball to the playmakers.

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Last year, Texas State relied heavily on Bradley George, because we did not have a running game, without Karrington Bush. This year, we have Karrington Bush back plus have Marcus Curry a transfer from Navy who averaged over 8 yards a carry (80-611-5).

If you look at our 2008 stats when we had a deep array of RB's, we actually ran the ball more than we threw the football. Plus with our depth at WR (arguablly the deepest WR corps in the SLC) all we need from our QB this year is to not lose the game and get the ball to the playmakers.

Fair assessment...

If Bush is 100% and all indications are that he's rapidly getting there, then TXST will have a very skilled player in the backfield. Curry's talent remains to be seen. Navy runs the option with precision. Curious to see how that translates to SLC play...

That may be a question that would be fun to debate - who has the best depth at WR? RB?

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
FYI - Caston is being moved to WR. This is a whole new offense for the Colonels. Will be interesting to see who emerges at QB and how well they produce in their first year of a transition away from the option.

True, I forgot about Nicholls State changing offenses.... It should be a really intresting year to see what happens with them.

They also have the other Arkansas QB transfer - Youngblood.

Lots of confidence around the league in what Clint Conque is able to do and they should easily be able to finish in the middle of the pack. With McNeese and SLU going to Conway, Ark - it does not hurt. Very favorable schedule with final two games at home in league play.

I didn't know about Youngblood, I missed that one. But, I still question how anyone can expect a team to replace its only two RB's with any real carries, its top two WR's, its QB, as well as almost all of its defense and still win. Not to mention, they did finish (2-5 in conference last year), because they couldn't score, and they are losing most of their offense.

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Fair assessment...

If Bush is 100% and all indications are that he's rapidly getting there, then TXST will have a very skilled player in the backfield. Curry's talent remains to be seen. Navy runs the option with precision. Curious to see how that translates to SLC play...

That may be a question that would be fun to debate - who has the best depth at WR? RB?

WR, would be a very interesting debate between Texas State and SELU. That could honestly go either way.

As for RB, who is even close to Texas State? Every team in the SLC lost their leading rushing to graduation last year. TT, we may not run the option to precision, but if you watched much of Texas State, you would know that our best running play, is the option as well, and that was with slow footed Bradley George as QB.....

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
WR, would be a very interesting debate between Texas State and SELU. That could honestly go either way.

As for RB, who is even close to Texas State? Every team in the SLC lost their leading rushing to graduation last year.

You could also debate Griggs vs Yarborough too, that could go either way.

Meant QB on the second depth listing. UCA has the two Arkansas transfers. NWST has the capable Paul Harris and the Louisville transfer from a year ago - Tyler Wolfe.

McNeese, Nicholls and Sam have very young stables of quarterback.

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I agree...

Adding Lindy's SLC projections to this topic...

Southland
1. SFA
2. Texas St
3. McNeese St
4. UCA
5. SELU
6. NW St
7. SHSU
8. Nicholls St

OFF POY: Jeremy Moses
DEF POY: Jabara Williams

TT, actually, except for where he has SELU I gave a VERY good reasoning for where I ranked my teams, and other than I have SELU #3 instead of #5, that is identical to may rankings. Where is your justification for your rankings?

SM_Bobcat
June 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Meant QB on the second depth listing. UCA has the two Arkansas transfers. NWST has the capable Paul Harris and the Louisville transfer from a year ago - Tyler Wolfe.

Griggs vs Yarborough would also be a very interesting debate.

And Texas State with 2 3-star QB's Tyler Arndt (who had offers from Vanderbilt, Missouri, TCU, and Houston and was ranked as the 60th best player in the state of Texas last year by Rivals as well as the #25 best prostyle QB in the nation by Rivals) as well as Andy McCloud (transfer from UTEP) is not a good young stable of QB's?

McNeese75
June 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM

McNeese has a transfer QB that changes that situation for the Cowboys. Bush (if he stays healthy) should be the best or at the top of the SLC but Babin will be there as well. The best receiving Corp is probably going to be SLU but McNeese and Tx State will be more than adequate in that area.

I think the best D will be wearing royal blue and gold this year.

SFA 71
June 26th, 2010, 05:09 PM
McNeese has a transfer QB that changes that situation for the Cowboys. Bush (if he stays healthy) should be the best or at the top of the SLC but Babin will be there as well. The best receiving Corp is probably going to be SLU but McNeese and Tx State will be more than adequate in that area.

Oh brother!xeyebrowx

McNeese75
June 26th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Oh brother!xeyebrowx

xrolleyesx Your reading comprehension is about as good as your joke telling xlolx

Read it again and you might notice I am referring to the Texas State Running Back xcoffeex

SM_Bobcat
June 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM

I would agree, that the best D in the SLC will be McNeeses.

Bower could really help out McNeese, if he is ready to play. Although, with transfers you never know what you are going to get.

Who does McNeese have a WR this year? Looking at your depth chart versus last season, it appears that McNeese is going to have to replace all the WR's that started for ya'll last year?

I think you are under estimating Texas states receiving crew, the only WR we lost was Mishak Rivas. We are returning DaMarcus Griggs who caught 80 balls last year, as well as Darren Dillard who caught 43. That in itself is a monster set returning, add on Darius Bolden, Cedrick Alexander, and Corey Scott and you have a super deep WR corps.

McNeese75
June 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I would agree, that the best D in the SLC will be McNeeses.

Bower could really help out McNeese, if he is ready to play. Although, with transfers you never know what you are going to get.

Who does McNeese have a WR this year? Looking at your depth chart versus last season, it appears that McNeese is going to have to replace all the WR's that started for ya'll last year?

I think you are under estimating Texas states receiving crew, the only WR we lost was Mishak Rivas. We are returning DaMarcus Griggs who caught 80 balls last year, as well as Darren Dillard who caught 43. That in itself is a monster set returning, add on Darius Bolden, Cedrick Alexander, and Corey Scott and you have a super deep WR corps.

I am not underestimating the Bobcat receiving corp. I expect them to be very good. I still think SLU will have the best receiver group in the league (assuming the Texas transfer is the real deal). McNeese is replacing the starting receivers with lettermen who have seen a lot of action over the last two years as well as some pretty good RS freshmen so I think they will be fine.

Although McNeese does not participate in the 7 on 7 drills like Tx State, etc, Bowers and the underclassmen QB's are working with the receivers several times a week (I plan on going and watching one day this week to see how they look)

El Gato
June 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Griggs vs Yarborough would also be a very interesting debate.

And Texas State with 2 3-star QB's Tyler Arndt (who had offers from Vanderbilt, Missouri, TCU, and Houston and was ranked as the 60th best player in the state of Texas last year by Rivals as well as the #25 best prostyle QB in the nation by Rivals) as well as Andy McCloud (transfer from UTEP) is not a good young stable of QB's?

On a similar note, some similar info on Andy McCloud, the incoming UTEP transfer.

3 star Quarterback, was recruited by Hawaii, Houston, Tulsa, UTEP, and TCU.
Ranked the no. 49 pro-style quarterback and a three-star prospect by Rivals.com ... rated the no. 40 QB by Scouts, Inc
http://utepathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccloud_andy00.html

GeauxLions94
June 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Here is my predictions, and why.

#1.) Stephen F Austin - With Jeremy Moses back, SFA should no doubt be able to put up plenty of points. But will it be the offensive juggernaut that it was most of last season without its top 2 RB’s as well as its top two WR’s from last year. Also, while the D should still be good, how will the loses of Tim Knicky and Cory Barlow affect the defense.

#2.) Texas State - The Bobcats will have to find a way to replace QB Bradley George. Although who ever the replacement is, will have the best returning corps of skill position players in the conference to help him out. The other big question for the Bobcats is will they find a way to improve upon the next to last ranked run defense in the SLC. The secondary should prove to be one of the best in the SLC, but unless the Bobcats can find a way to get some pressure on the QB, it will not matter.

#3.) Southeastern Louisiana - If Tyler Beatty looks like he did against Central Arkansas all year, SLU will once again have one of the most potent offenses in the SLC. However, he followed up the UCA game with horrible preformances against SFA and Northwestern State. And the return of Tommy Conners will help SLU have one of the best pass defenses in the SLC as well. The question on defense is will a defense that gave up the 3rd most yards per game on the ground, as well as the 4th most points per game improve on its numbers. If it can, SLU will be among the best teams in the SLC for sure.

#4.) McNeese State - The Cowboys should once again have a very solid defense. The question will be how will they manage to replace all the starting skill position players including two of the SLC’s best in Todd Pendland and Derrick Fourroux. However, the defense that was #3 in total defense and #3 in scoring defense is returning all but 1 full time starter.

#5.) Central Arkansas - Nathan Dick will lead an offense that is without the only two RB’s that got significant carries last year, as well as will be without its top two WR’s, and minus 3 of its starting OL. The defense that was #1 in the SLC in scoring defense, #1 in total defense, #1 in rushing defense and #1 in pass defense will be returning just 1 full time starter and 2 part time starters. And will have a hard time coming close to posting the same type of season again.

#6.) Northwestern State - The Demons will have to find a replacement RB and replace 8 of the 11 starters on the defense. However, there are some bright sports for the Demons as well as Paul Harris (81-144-978-5) was only a freshman last year, and most of his weapons at WR from last year are all returning as well. Plus all but 1 member of the OL is returning. On defense however, all but 3 members of the defense will have to be replaced from a unit that was already 6th in the SLC in total defense and 7th in scoring defense.

#7.) Sam Houston State - The Bearkats will have to replace all but one starter from the offense last year. But, the transfer of Tyrik Rollison does give the Bearkats some hope that they will have a good QB. However who he will be getting the ball to is a huge question mark. The Bearkats will have to replace the whole defensive line and one of its LB’s, but the secondary that allowed the 3rd best completion percentage against and was second in INT’s in the league returns. However it will need to improve upon a league worst 9.1 yards per completion and league worst 28 TD’s allowed.

Fixed em for you. Don't make me pull a Texas State-San Marcos reference xnonox :p

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Fixed em for you. Don't make pull a Texas State-San Marcos reference xnonox :p

Poor folks from San Marcos can't get any acronyms right! xlolx

MaximumBobcat
June 28th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The majority of predictions on here (barring a few) seem pretty reasonable. I'd argue that for this season, there is probably a Tier 1 and Tier 2 in the schools that have a good shot at winning the title.

Tier 1 = SFA, TXST, McNeese, and SLU.

Tier 2 = UCA, SHSU, NWST, Nicholls

That is about the order I would rank them as well, give or take. Any of the Tier 1 schools have a great shot at winning the SLC. UCA is the most likely to come out of my 2nd tier, but only if they win key tie-breaker games in a 5-2 = champ type season.

Poor folks from San Marcos can't get any acronyms right! xlolx

Lol, really terror? I've seen you call them SELU lots and lots of times.

txst80
July 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
1. SFA
Moses returns in a season where the top contenders will be breaking in new QBs. SFA won't be able to sneak up on anyone this year though, and the rest of us should be better prepared to stop them. I kind of have a hard time putting them here on account of the one SFA game I watched last year they lost by 3 TDs and only managed to put 7 points on the board, but its hard to justify putting anyone else in the top spot.

2. Mcneese
They always compete for the title. Their defense should be the best in a year where defense could start catching up to the offense in the conference. They lost most of their offense however.

3. Texas State
No experienced QB, but 3 young prospects. Either 3 could turn into a great QB, or maybe not. Outside of QB, the offense looks solid. Defense looks to be getting better every year and returns 9 starters, finally getting some depth and experience in the secondary. Linebacker corps should be good as well, led by Marcus Clark. D-line needs to improve to stop the run.

4. Southeastern
Yarborough could battle Moses for offensive POY. Also must break in new QB, although Beatty saw some PT last year. Defensive should improve significantly. Struggled down the stretch last year ending with a loss to Nicholls. Need to show the ability to consistently win for me to rank higher.

5. Central Arkansas
Not sure how some have them in their top 3. This team went 2-5 last year. Nathan Dick will have to perform. Lost their best offensive and defensive players (Grimes and Hart). Both losses will hurt, lost their 2nd RB in Ceasar as well, Jackie Hinton looks promising though.

6. Northwestern State
Nowhere to go but up.

7. Sam Houston
Always tough learning a new system under a new head coach. Sammy fans feel anything is better than Whitten though.

8. Nicholls
Could be a rough year. Must learn a completely different system as they scrap the spread-option, which has been in place for many years. Have QB issues like most of the league on top of it, could be a rough year in Thibodaux.

6 of 8 teams will be breaking in new QBs. Moses at SFA and Paul Harris at Northwestern State are the only 2 returning QBs in the league. Meanwhile SFA (8), Mcneese (10), Texas State (9), and Southeastern (10) return most of their defense. The Southland may be a little more defensive this year as opposed to the last few seasons.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM
SLU - Mike Lucas is solid.
McN - Cowboys usually do well when they get no respect.
SFA - Can they pull a double when everyone is waiting for them?
UCA - Quite a talent pool all to themselves.
NW - Can't see the Demon pride not playing extra hard.
TX ST - Roster additons are always interesting .
SHSU - New coach, new culture could be dangerous.
Nich - Been known to ruin some parades

There TT. Read 'em and weep, or laugh!

I have heard (and read) lots of positive things about Mike Lucas and the Southeastern program. They are located in a fertile recruiting area of Louisiana and their geographical proximity to Mississippi and Alabama
means even more available talent. Not a putdown, but once they (if they do) expand the seating capacity at Strawberry Field they will have even more of a recruting plus.

They are listed as one of the "options" for our fans to vote on as a future opponent in the Port City Classic in Shreveport next season.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM

No smack on my part, but some of the coaching moves made by their head coach last year versus Grambling helped to turn that game around for us. Early on, we had turnovers but our defense was able to limit them to field goal attempts (which they missed a lot of). On paper they've had two good back to back recruiting classes.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have heard (and read) lots of positive things about Mike Lucas and the Southeastern program. They are located in a fertile recruiting area of Louisiana and their geographical proximity to Mississippi and Alabama means even more available talent. Not a putdown, but once they (if they do) expand the seating capacity at Strawberry Field they will have even more of a recruting plus.

There's probably no reason to expand Strawberry Stadium until they get strong crowds in there all the time. They have upgraded the stadium in the last few years and my last visit this past year, I saw an upgraded press box and they also had suites, an adjacent parking garage and just nice aesthetics. I believe GL94 or one of the other Lion fans can give you the specifics.

And they do recruit well into Mississippi - particularly the JUCO ranks. Not sure how much they do in Alabama, but that has never stuck out to me.

They are listed as one of the "options" for our fans to vote on as a future opponent in the Port City Classic in Shreveport next season.

Who are the other options and where can fans vote? I'm sure the SLU fans and SLC fans in general would love to contribute to the voting. The Lions have two winnable $$$ games this year - ULM and Tulane. I am sure they'd appreciate another one - Grambling! ;)

lionsrking2
July 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
There's probably no reason to expand Strawberry Stadium until they get strong crowds in there all the time. They have upgraded the stadium in the last few years and my last visit this past year, I saw an upgraded press box and they also had suites, an adjacent parking garage and just nice aesthetics. I believe GL94 or one of the other Lion fans can give you the specifics.

And they do recruit well into Mississippi - particularly the JUCO ranks. Not sure how much they do in Alabama, but that has never stuck out to me.

We've actually recruited well in Texas over the last three years, and have developed some pretty good relationships...not sure how long we can keep him, but we finally have an assistant coach dedicated to recruiting over there (Brandon Lacey)...he did a great job getting the two kids from Spring Westfield (Aaron Harris & Jarrod Hale), Jordan Wells from Round Rock, Robert Scarpati from Cy-Ridge, and found a sleeper OL from Liberty Hill in Hunter Craven...we're also on quite a few for the 2011 class and had several kids in for our summer camps.

We'll always have a presence in Mississippi, but Alabama has been a tough nut for us to crack for some reason.

As for Strawberry Stadium, we don't need to expand anytime soon...at the current capacity, it's a great atmosphere when full and helps keep the ticket demand in line...we could always bring in temp seating if needed.

El Gato
July 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Fair assessment...

If Bush is 100% and all indications are that he's rapidly getting there, then TXST will have a very skilled player in the backfield.

Bush is back and better than ever - SMDR 7/6/10

July 6, 2010

College Football: Bush is back and better than ever for Bobcats
By Tyler Mayforth
Daily Record Sports

San Marcos — Karrington Bush had it made at Texas State.

Bush, a standout running back for the Bobcats, rushed for 1,039 yards in 2007 and followed it up with another 1,000-yard performance the ensuing season. He was the first Texas State running back since Claude Mathis to rush for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons.

Then in 2009, it all nearly slipped through Bush’s fingers.

Bush sprained his MCL in the season opener and sat out the next two games. He returned to the lineup against Southern Utah (nine carries for 82 yards), torched Southeastern Louisana for 129 more and then blew out his knee against Nicholls State.

After consulting with several doctors, Bush decided the best course of action was to undergo season-ending surgery and begin an arduous recovery.

“Once it happened at Nicholls, I knew it wasn’t good. I had never been in so much pain,” Bush said. “It got even tougher mentally a few weeks later when I could only watch from the sidelines. I felt left out.”

With his football season over, Bush could finally focus on another important aspect of being a college athlete — academics.

“A lot of people outside the program don’t know this, but I was borderline failing off the team,” Bush said. “My grades were awful and if I didn’t bring them up, what would the payoff be for going through rehab?”

After his epiphany, Bush decided to put his full effort toward studying and recovery.

As his grades increased, Bush found rehab to be harder. It wasn’t because one had a direct effect on the other, but because Bush neared the midpoint of his projected recovery when mid-terms were given in class.

“Mentally and physically,” Bush said, “I don’t think I’ve ever been pushed harder than spring semester this year.”

Once Bush found success in the classroom and athletic training room, his personal life began to unravel.

In early March, Bush was arrested by the San Marcos Police Department after a dispute with his girlfriend and charged with assault causing injury/family violence. Bush spent the night in jail and was released on a $3,000 surety bond.

Following his release, Texas State head coach Brad Wright kept Bush clear of practice in anticpation of the ensuing media blitz. A few weeks later, Bush rejoined his teammates.

Now four months after his brush with the law and recovery from his injury near complete, Bush is better than ever before.

...http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1671040944/College-Football-Bush-is-back-and-better-than-ever-for-Bobcats

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM

El Gato,

Someone on BFs.com was saying that you are never 100% following the kind of surgery that he had and that TXST fans should be thankful if he is at 85%. I'm not a medical expert and do not even pretend to be one - but is there any truth to that?

katstrapper
July 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
My Southland Pick....

1. SE Louisiana..Mike Lucas has worked hard to build this program. Should have been coach at SHSU.
2. Central Arkansas.. The Bears will be strong again. Always dangerous.
3. McNeese St.. Need a QB. Cant believe the mighty Cowboys are looking at a transfer?? Always in the running.
4. Stephen F Austin.. The Jacks go as Moses goes..Problem is, I think Moses is overrated.
5. Texas State.. Bobcats looking for a QB like SHSU. Difference is they have a solid RB and running game.
6. Northwestern St... They will be much improved this year. No season ticket buyback campaign this year though.
7. Sam Houston St.. No way we win 5 games with this roster. Whitten set this program back several years. If Kats do win 5, Fritz should be coach of the year!!
8. Nicholls St.. Always the spoiler, but not enough horses.

Now, I cant believe there are people that think SHSU can win 5 games or more this year. I hope they do, but Coach Fritz has his hands full with this mess Whitten left behind. I will say though, he has jumped right in and changed the atmosphere in a hurry. SHSU has a tough schedule with only 4 games at Bowers Stadium.

SHSU has no QB worth to mention. None of the current QB's have any extensive playing time and when they did get on the field in garbage time,they did nothing. They better hope Rollison makes the grades and hits the field this fall.
We have no returning RB's. Aston graduated and all the RB's Whitten brought in have left. SHSU will have all Freshman RB's playing. Receiving corp is new. There are a couple of returning players, but most of receiving corp is new, with a mix of transfers and true freshman.
Offensive Line should be solid. There are 4 returning OL that started last year at some point. Fritz has definitely beefed up this group picking up two true freshman, one 6-7 and the other 6-6 and also a couple of transfers. Mix in the returning kids, both tackles, 6-6 and 6-4 and a 6-7 transfer and we should be ok. We actually have depth at this position this year.

Defense should be solid, but still a lot of new faces. However, I think Stoker will have these kids ready to play and very aggresive.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Now, I cant believe there are people that think SHSU can win 5 games or more this year. I hope they do, but Coach Fritz has his hands full with this mess Whitten left behind. I will say thought, he has jumped right in and changed the atmosphere in a hurry. SHSU has a tough schedule with only 4 games at Bowers Stadium.

Even with the mess that Whitten left behind, SHSU should be favored to win against Gardner-Webb, Lamar and Nicholls. Northwestern State could definitely be in play, but we'll be hard pressed to get #5 - but think we can find a fifth win somewhere in the schedule. I just do not think there's as much separation after the top three teams and the bottom one (Nicholls).

katstrapper
July 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Maybe Gardner-Webb at home and we should win at Lamar & Nicholls, but we all know SHSU's history playing in La. Nicholls St will be a grudge match between their head coach and Fritz since I dont think those two like each other. Lamar will have it out for SHSU, specifically Whitten. Whitten is a better OC than a HC. SFA throttled our azzes last year, but it is a rival game so there might be your 5th win if we win the 4 you mentioned above.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I may have to eat crow and if so, bring it on but NO SLC team should lose to Lamar this year!! (I don't care how many tranfers they are bringing in). I would think SHSU would be hitting on all cylinders for that game.

txst80
July 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
2. Central Arkansas.. The Bears will be strong again. Always dangerous.

Strong again like 2-5 strong again? Its baffling how many people have UCA so high.

El Gato
July 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Strong again like 2-5 strong again? Its baffling how many people have UCA so high.

Agreed.

El Gato
July 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
El Gato,

Someone on BFs.com was saying that you are never 100% following the kind of surgery that he had and that TXST fans should be thankful if he is at 85%. I'm not a medical expert and do not even pretend to be one - but is there any truth to that?

the ellipses were merely some extra characters that the site was asking me for (I'm still trying to figure out the new site, not here as much as you are TT and have yet to discover all the new changes).

But since you bring it up...you say you are not medical expert, well neither are the posters on bobcatfans.com who posted similar info. However, I do agree with sm_bobcat (the poster who posted that) that he may never get back up to 100% again. However, since you mentioned the recovery process of KB, I thought I'd just post the latest info on him for the rest of the AGS community to read.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
the ellipses were merely some extra characters that the site was asking me for (I'm still trying to figure out the new site, not here as much as you are TT and have yet to discover all the new changes).

But since you bring it up...you say you are not medical expert, well neither are the posters on bobcatfans.com who posted similar info. However, I do agree with sm_bobcat (the poster who posted that) that he may never get back up to 100% again. However, since you mentioned the recovery process of KB, I thought I'd just post the latest info on him for the rest of the AGS community to read.

Actually, I wasn't the one who brought that up. I completely disagree that he will never be 100% again.... Lots of RB's have the same type of injury that Karrington Bush had, some even worse (see Willis McGahee) and still have good careers. However, it does almost always take 2 years to truely return to top form.... But there is a long list of RB's who have turn up knees and have returned to top or near top form. Yes, they have had the best doctors money can buy, but to say you can never be 100%, I disagree with.....

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM

2-5 in conference and 5-7 overall. And have to replace almost the entire defense from last year, as well as the starting QB, the top 2 RB's, as well as the top two WR's, and 3 of the 5 starting OL....

In other words, they have to start completely over on a team that had a losing record last year, and lost the final 5 games of the season. Of there 5 wins, 2 came against non D1 schools, 1 came against 0-12 Western Kentucky (although they are a FBS school), one came against Northwestern State (0-11), and the other came against Nichols State(3-8 on the season)... In other words a team that lost to every decent team they played other than maybe Western Kentucky.....

UCABEARS75
July 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Trust me, W. Kentucky was horrible. They only crossed the 50 on us once.

I agree we should not be picked in the top half of the conference coming off a very disappointing season. Our defense, which is now mostly gone, was awsome last year and our offense definitely missed Nathan Brown more than anyone could have projected.

I believe our offense will be greatly improved (even though we lost our top two running backs we have some real talent at that position) but it will be late into the season before our defense even has a chance of gelling.

That being said, if our QB play steps up from last year and our defense does mature, we could be competitive by the time conference rolls around.

But for pre-season ranking I would put us 5th or 6th.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Trust me, W. Kentucky was horrible. They only crossed the 50 on us once.

I agree we should not be picked in the top half of the conference coming off a very disappointing season. Our defense, which is now mostly gone, was awsome last year and our offense definitely missed Nathan Brown more than anyone could have projected.

I believe our offense will be greatly improved (even though we lost our top two running backs we have some real talent at that position) but it will be late into the season before our defense even has a chance of gelling.

That being said, if our QB play steps up from last year and our defense does mature, we could be competitive by the time conference rolls around.

But for pre-season ranking I would put us 5th or 6th.

An honest question. Based on the little direct following I had of UCA. It seemed to me, that the problem on offense for UCA last year wasn't QB, as much as weapons for the QB to get the ball to. However, I am sure you have more knowledge than I do, was Park very inconsistent? Do ya'll have a new influx of WR's or reason to expect the WR play to improve from last year?

UCABEARS75
July 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Good question. In fairness to Robbie, who is a great kid, he was missing some weapons that Nathan Brown had the year before. Marquez Branson (TE) graduated and is now with the Broncos and Willie Landers, our best deep threat, missed the season with an injury.

However, Nathan Brown simply put had "it". He was a very special FOOTBALL PLAYER, not necessarily a special athlete but a winner.

If Willie comes back strong and our QB's can get some "Swagger" (Nathan is now our QB coach) our offense could be greatly improved as our RB's are talented and we have some depth at that position.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Good question. In fairness to Robbie, who is a great kid, he was missing some weapons that Nathan Brown had the year before. Marquez Branson (TE) graduated and is now with the Broncos and Willie Landers, our best deep threat, missed the season with an injury.

However, Nathan Brown simply put had "it". He was a very special FOOTBALL PLAYER, not necessarily a special athlete but a winner.

If Willie comes back strong and our QB's can get some "Swagger" (Nathan is now our QB coach) our offense could be greatly improved as our RB's are talented and we have some depth at that position.

No doubt about it, Nathan Brown had it... But, my uneducated opinion, as I certainly didn't see Nathan Brown as much as ya'll did. Is that the drop off from Nathan Brown was two fold.
#1.) Nathan Brown was unbelievably accurate. He had a special accuracy that you just can't teach.... He didn't have the physical tools to be an NFL QB, but his accuracy was at a different level.
#2.) Nathan Brown just knew how to win football games. Once again, it is something you can't teach, either someone has it or they don't.

Also, no doubt assuming that Willie Landers is back, will no doubt help. But I personally am not convinced from what I saw, that Nathan Brown would even put up the numbers that he did with the WR's that you have now.... Any QB, no matter how good they are, is only as good as the weapons that they have to get the ball to. And I am not sure who ya'll have right now, that your QB can trust to get the ball to. For Nathan Brown, that security blanket was largely Marquez Branson. Until that person steps up (and maybe ya'll have a freshman or redshirt freshman) that is ready to step up and be that guy. I expect your passing game to struggle.

UCABEARS75
July 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I think we are in agreement here. We may never see another Nathan Brown at UCA but we have had very good QB's in the past and Clint has shown the ability over his career to find and develop good QB and receiver play.

This year may be a long one for us but I believe that the future is bright for UCA football.

SM_Bobcat
July 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I think we are in agreement here. We may never see another Nathan Brown at UCA but we have had very good QB's in the past and Clint has shown the ability over his career to find and develop good QB and receiver play.

This year may be a long one for us but I believe that the future is bright for UCA football.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you wrote here. I do believe that UCA is in good shape long term.

SFA 93
July 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
SFA and then everybody else.

That's about as objective as I can be.:)

Maybe DT Rod Davis 6-1; 300 So. of A&M to transfer to SFA for even more dept on a big d-line.

Also the Jacks need some big bruisers in the back field for those short gainers that were so tough to come by during the season. Maybe Rice transfer Jackson and 2010 recruit Sinette can fill that role.

QB:#3 Jeremy Moses 6-0 200 Sr.
QB:#14 Dalton Williams 6-4 225 Jr.
QB:#8 Brady Attaway 6-2 214 Fr.

RB:#20 Romonte Hampton 5-9 184 So.
RB:#26 Jeremy Barnes 6-0 182 So.
RB:#24 Broderick Jackson 5-10 210 Fr.
RB:#29 Keith Lawson 5-9 180 Fr.
RB:#39 Sedrick Hall 5-10 185 Fr.
RB: Daleon Sinette 6-0 190 Fr.

WR:#17 Gralyn Crawford 5-10 175 So.
WR:#80 Cordell Roberson 6-3 192 So.
WR:#11 Brandon Scott 6-0 180 Jr.
WR:#19 Anthony Foster 6-2 181 So.
WR:#83 Kris Lott 6-1 190 Fr.
WR:#84 Ryan Gambel 6-3 208 So.
WR:#13 Lance Dozier 5-9 175 Fr.
WR:#87 Garret Williams 6-1 187 Jr.
WR:#15 Mike Brooks 5-8 165 Fr.
WR: Jeremy Chappelle 6-2 200 Fr.
WR: Caleb Summerville 6-3 185 Fr.
WR: Tommy Bowman 6-2 200 Fr.
WR: Marques Bradley 6-1 178 Jr.
WR: Shane McQueen 5-10 170 Fr.
WR: Ayron Morgan 5-9 163 Fr.
WR: Calib Hadnot 5-9 160 Fr.

TE:#86 Dustin Kempf 6-5 240 Sr.

OL:#75 George Bias 6-3 305 Jr.
OL:#60 Austin Wright 6-2 300 So.
OL:#64 Fitiseula Partsch 6-4 300 Fr.
OL:#63 John Steel 6-3 273 So.
OL:#78 Corey Dickerson 6-9 306 So.
OL:#77 Jesse Funk 6-4 290 Sr.
OL:#72 Larry Bradley 6-6 302 Jr.
OL:#65 Greg Hall 6-3 290 Fr.
OL:#70 Andrew Ratliff 6-5 320 Fr.
OL:#74 Willie Watkins 6-5 290 Fr.
OL:#79 Michael Brooks 6-3 260 Fr.
OL: Ryne Chambers 6-6 270 Fr.
OL: Chance Vernon 6-7 335 Fr.
OL: R.C. Clinton 6-2 300 Fr.
OL: David Damian 6-6 310 Fr.

DE:#97 Kenneth Charles 6-3 266 Sr.
DE:#56 Jacob Fincher 6-3 245 Sr.
DE:#98 Rainey Sternes 6-3 245 Sr.
DE:#95 Broderick Gaffney6-3 241 Sr.
DE:#44 Greg Carlson 6-3 250 Sr.
DE:#42 Tyler Francis 6-4 265 Jr.
DE: Jarros Foster 6-1 240 Fr.
DE: Malcolm Mattox 6-1 242 Fr.
DE: Jerome Davis 6-5 250 Fr.

DT:#92 Sean Warren 6-0 300 Sr.
DT:#91 Weekendfer Saurit 6-0 310 Jr.
DT:#90 Gordon Booker II 6-0 300 Jr.
DT:#53 Wayne Thompson 6-0 290 So.
DT:#99 Garry Williams 5-11 265 Fr.
DT: Corey Hill 6-0 322 Fr.
DT: Dimitric Brown 6-1 303 Fr.

LB:#49 Jabara Williams 6-3 225 Sr.
LB:#40 Devin Ducote 5-10 207 Jr.
LB:#45 Derrick Choice 6-0 207 Jr.
LB:#47 Ryan Epperson 6-1 223 So.
LB:#23 Romeo Robinson 5-9 210 Jr.
LB:#52 Ryan Hamlett 6-0 195 Fr.
LB:#48 Darren Robinson 6-0 222 Fr.
LB:#54 Travis Walker 5-10 200 So.

S:#6 Andre Banks 6-3 208 Sr.
S:#38 Jordan Aubrey 5-10 188 So.
S:#33 Joshua Morris 6-2 205 So.
S: Sha'Keal Jenkins 6-1 200 Fr.

CB:#37 Josh Aubrey 5-11 191 So.
CB:#27 Vencent Finley 6-3 205 Fr.
CB:#25 Josh Hughey 6-0 170 Fr.
CB:#22 Jerrel Barnett 5-10 180 Sr.
CB:#31 Delano King 6-0 185 Sr.
CB:#28 Ortavious Hypolite 6-0 215 Fr.
CB:#32 Caleb Nelson 6-0 182 Fr.
CB:#43 James Mattox 6-2 180 Jr.
CB: Darren Beavers 6-0 180 Fr.
CB: X'Zavious Harrison 6-2 190 Fr.

K:#12 Logan Barrett 5-3 175 So.
K/P:#35 Thomas Henshaw 5-11 182 Fr.

P:#36 Drew Nelson 6-1 193 Jr.
P:#82 Matt Baldwin 6-1 195 Jr.
DS:#59 Bryan West 5-11 225 Fr.

McNeese75
July 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Maybe DT Rod Davis 6-1; 300 So. of A&M to transfer to SFA for even more dept on a big d-line.

Also the Jacks need some big bruisers in the back field for those short gainers that were so tough to come by during the season. Maybe Rice transfer Jackson and 2010 recruit Sinette can fill that role.

Looks like the Jacks will live or die based on how some very young RB and WR come through for them.

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Wow. That is a young receiving corp and even greener stable of backs. That O-Line also seems like a young group of players. That's three major components of the offense that are going to have to figure it out quickly if SFA is to be competitive. It will help that the man leading the group, Moses, will be the one with the experience and it will be up to him to get his offense where it needs to be. That is the one huge plus that SFA has.

Funny, it is the opposite problem that Texas State will have. We have experience and outstanding talent (All American talent) returning on those three components of the offense that SFA is young at. We just need a QB to come in and complete the final piece of the puzzle.

Everyone is replacing key players around the SLC, so it really can be anyone of the most commonly predicted top 4 teams that take the SLC crown: Texas State, SFA, Southeastern, or McNeese. I mean, most people have these teams in their top 4 somewhere, we all just disagree on the order, which I think further supports my argument about the loss of key players creating alot of parody in the league this year. Hell, maybe NWST will just surprise us all and take the SLC crown, being as their new coach will have had a year under his belt and they are the only team that seems to be returning much of their offense (minus the RB corp)...the only problem is their experienced players did not win a single game last year.

SFA 93
July 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Green, but not too green at receiver...

Grayln Crawford GP:13;REC:51;YDS:785;AVG:15.4;TD:7;LNG:65
Brandon Scott GP:12;REC:24;YDS:273;AVG:11.4;TD:5;LNG:36
Cordell Roberson GP:11;REC:20;YDS:380;AVG:19.0;TD:4;LNG:80

SFA 93
July 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
QB:#3 Jeremy Moses 6-0 200 Sr. (ALL SLC)

RB:#24 Broderick Jackson 5-10 210 Fr. (Rice Transfer)

WR:#17 Gralyn Crawford 5-10 175 So. (ALL SLC)
WR:#83 Kris Lott 6-1 190 Fr. (#93 Receiver Rivals.com ***)

OL:#75 George Bias 6-3 305 Jr. (Returning Starter) (ALL SLC)
OL:#60 Austin Wright 6-2 300 So.(Returning Starter)
OL:#64 Fitiseula Partsch 6-4 300 Fr. (ESPN #13 Center)
OL:#63 John Steel 6-3 273 So. (Returning Starter)
OL:#72 Larry Bradley 6-6 302 Jr. (Baylor Transfer)

DE:#97 Kenneth Charles 6-3 266 Sr. (ALL SLC)
DE:#44 Greg Carlson 6-3 250 Sr. (Baylor Transfer)

DT:#92 Sean Warren 6-0 300 Sr. (ALL SLC)

LB:#49 Jabara Williams 6-3 225 Sr.(ALL SLC)
LB:#40 Devin Ducote 5-10 207 Jr. (ALL SLC)
LB:#45 Derrick Choice 6-0 207 Jr. (ALL SLC)

S:#6 Andre Banks 6-3 208 Sr. (ALL SLC NEW COMER OTY)

CB:#37 Josh Aubrey 5-11 191 So. (ALL SLC)

K:#12 Logan Barrett 5-3 175 So. (UTEP Transfer)

P:#36 Drew Nelson 6-1 193 Jr. (ALL SLC)

SM_Bobcat
July 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM
SFA 93, the amount of returning talent is certainly why I have SFA listed #1 right now in my conference predictions. But, SFA certainly does have some MAJOR question marks:

Can the running game post the same numbers in 2010 like it did last year without Pervis and Ross. The running game being the weapon that is was, went a long way towards making the SFA offense so dangerous last year.

Also, how will the young WR's respond to being the main target. Last year Crawford, didn't have to worry about being the man, that was reserved for Duane Brooks. Ya'll will have to replace almost 70% of the receptions from last year. That is a huge percentage to have to replace.

Ya'll will also have to replace the two most important positions on the OL, LT and C. LT is who protects the QB's blind side, and C is who makes all the offensive line calls. Without those two, will SFA be able to protect Moses, because if your QB's can't remain upright, I don't care who he is, he will struggle.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Last chance to get predictions in before Wednesday's SLC Media Days in Lake Charles! :)

lionsrking2
July 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I won't make an actual SLC prediction, but I'll "predict" what the predictions will be at media day:

1. SFA
2. McNeese
3. Southeastern Louisiana
4. Texas State
5. Central Arkansas
6. Sam Houston State
7. Northwestern State
8. Nicholls State

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I won't make an actual SLC prediction, but I'll "predict" what the predictions will be at media day:

1. SFA
2. McNeese
3. Southeastern Louisiana
4. Texas State
5. Central Arkansas
6. Sam Houston State
7. Northwestern State
8. Nicholls State

I can agree with that prediction of the SLC's Coaches and SID poll. I may flip SHSU and NWST, especially since the pundits were voting without knowing anything about SHSU's QB situation while we know Paul Harris is around in Natchitoches...

Great job lionsrking!

darell1976
July 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Your win will NOT be in our backyard.xnonono2x

GeauxLions94
July 24th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

NSUDemon98
July 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Your win will NOT be in our backyard.xnonono2x

Did I say that? I thought I made it clear my post was made in light of our winless season last year...xnonono2x

McNeese75
July 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Did I say that? I thought I made it clear my post was made in light of our winless season last year...xnonono2x

Don't sweat it xsmiley_wix. Little do they know that the SLC is winning all their FCS ooc games this year. xnodx

SFA 93
July 25th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Yes 5-3 would be pretty short, that came from the roster. I think he's 6-3. He had a pretty big growth spurt over the summer. :)