PDA

View Full Version : College Gameday FCS Style

Redbird Ray
May 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM
The announcement between UNH and UMASS at Gilette made me wonder which FCS games are going to be the biggest this year. This also got me thinking about something that may sort of be a pipedream, but maybe not.

The last 4-5 seasons, ESPN College Gameday has usually gone to one game a year that is either totally off the radar, or outside of FBS. Last year they went to Air Force when Army was in town. Not a real meaningful game from a standings point, but a sentimental favorite among many military folks and Americans in general. A few years back, Gameday went to a Florida A&M game (cannot remember the opponent). I also remember a D3 game between Williams and Amherst not too long ago that had Gameday. And I believe Gameday was at a Penn game maybe 7 or 8 years ago?

My point being, if there happens to be one awful week in FBS where there are just no games of real huge magnitude that garner a Gameday appearance, which weekends have MONSTER FCS match-ups? Are there any weekends that jump out at you and make you think, man, this game deserves the kind of national recognition only capable through Gameday's presence? I guess I am asking what games are going to be the most important, and best showcases for FCS this year?

Curious to hear any answers.

DFW HOYA
May 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
A Montana game might be too cold and ESPN would never hype a game on another network (Southern-Grambling), but Harvard-Yale always seems like a good choice, esp. with 50,000+ at the Yale Bowl. Most I-AA rivalries are just small otherwise to arouse much national interest.

Pard94
May 19th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The announcement between UNH and UMASS at Gilette made me wonder which FCS games are going to be the biggest this year. This also got me thinking about something that may sort of be a pipedream, but maybe not.

The last 4-5 seasons, ESPN College Gameday has usually gone to one game a year that is either totally off the radar, or outside of FBS. Last year they went to Air Force when Army was in town. Not a real meaningful game from a standings point, but a sentimental favorite among many military folks and Americans in general. A few years back, Gameday went to a Florida A&M game (cannot remember the opponent). I also remember a D3 game between Williams and Amherst not too long ago that had Gameday. And I believe Gameday was at a Penn game maybe 7 or 8 years ago?

My point being, if there happens to be one awful week in FBS where there are just no games of real huge magnitude that garner a Gameday appearance, which weekends have MONSTER FCS match-ups? Are there any weekends that jump out at you and make you think, man, this game deserves the kind of national recognition only capable through Gameday's presence? I guess I am asking what games are going to be the most important, and best showcases for FCS this year?

Curious to hear any answers.

College football's most played rivalry...Lafayette vs. Lehigh for the 145th time.

WestCoastAggie
May 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
In terms of actual attendance, the biggest games will be the Bayou Classic, Florida Classic, Magic City classic and maybe the Atlanta Football Classic.

And as of right now, I can't think of a FCS game where College Gameday should show up for, right now.

WestCoastAggie
May 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM
A Montana game might be too cold and ESPN would never hype a game on another network (Southern-Grambling), but Harvard-Yale always seems like a good choice, esp. with 50,000+ at the Yale Bowl. Most I-AA rivalries are just small otherwise to arouse much national interest.

Well in 05, Gameday did head to Houston for the Bayou Classic.

DFW HOYA
May 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
You're correct, Gameday does go to some major games regardless if they are on the Worldwide Leader. But echoing the earlier points made, I don't think many I-AA games have the awareness and attendance to justify a visit. Lafayette-Lehigh still doesn't mean a lot in SEC country.

MR. CHICKEN
May 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
DELAWARE...vs... SOUFF DAKOTAH STATE......HAS ALL DUH EXCITEMENT........O'...UH FAR WEST/EAST COAST...STEEL CAGE RUMBLE........DUH JACKS...LEAVE DUH BUNNY RANCH.....TA INVADE DUH UNFRIENDLY CONFINES.....O' TUBBY FIELD........(NAW....IT AIN'T WASH-IN-TON-GRIZZWOLD)....BUT AH'M GUARANTEEIN' UH SOLD OUT COOP....WHIFF PLENTY O' BRAWK!!...DUH TIME CHANGE....JET-LAG ISSUE.....MURK DUH WATERS..... ROCKS & PLAINS...AGIN'.....WALL O' HUMANITY @ SEA-LEVEL.....HENS SHOW SIGNS O' PLAY-OFF DESIRE......DUH JACKALS....TRYIN' TA OVERAH-COME....DUH ALL-TIME PLAY-OFF COLLAPSE....DIS CLASH...COOD GET GO-HENS.NET..BACK UP...;)....WHAA NOT CORSO & CO....DIGGIN' INTA UH ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET.....WHILE RABID PECKER-HEADS......SCREAM PHILLY STYLE INSULTS.....BETTERAH CIRCLE DUH CONESTOGAS.....'BRER RABBITS......ESPN...GET YER TRUCKS TA NEWARK......WHO CARES 'BOUT ALABAMA/LSU......USC/NOTRA DAMUS.......O-STATE/MICHIGAN....xhypedx...AWK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!!

PhoenixPhan06
May 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
SouthernFriedFootball does a good gameday tour of the southeast. They picked up several SoCon games last year and will do the same in 2010. Not really the same concept as GameDay, but they show up and promote the hell outta the game with tons of give-a-ways and such.

Pard94
May 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
You're correct, Gameday does go to some major games regardless if they are on the Worldwide Leader. But echoing the earlier points made, I don't think many I-AA games have the awareness and attendance to justify a visit. Lafayette-Lehigh still doesn't mean a lot in SEC country.

Nor does the Bayou Classic mean anything north of the Mason Dixon Line. Fact of the matter is in the Fall of 1884 Lafayette played Lehigh in football (Leopards won 50-0). And they have done so every year since then. In the mean time, between the two schools the football helmet was invented, the huddle was invented the first night game was played (actually these are all Lafayette contributions but Lehigh was close by anyway). Yeah there are a few stories surrounding "The Rivalry" that Game Day might be interested in. What has The Bayou Classic given us? All other rivalries are cute by comparison.

GAD
May 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Nor does the Bayou Classic mean anything north of the Mason Dixon Line. Fact of the matter is in the Fall of 1884 Lafayette played Lehigh in football (Leopards won 50-0). And they have done so every year since then. In the mean time, between the two schools the football helmet was invented, the huddle was invented the first night game was played (actually these are all Lafayette contributions but Lehigh was close by anyway). Yeah there are a few stories surrounding "The Rivalry" that Game Day might be interested in. What has The Bayou Classic given us? All other rivalries are cute by comparison.
Interest, keep in mind the Bayou Classic draws from 50K to 70K from all over the country, Lehigh vs Lafayette is a great rivalry but exactly how much interest is there from people who have no affiliation with either school?

Jacked_Rabbit
May 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM
DELAWARE...vs... SOUFF DAKOTAH STATE......HAS ALL DUH EXCITEMENT........O'...UH FAR WEST/EAST COAST...STEEL CAGE RUMBLE........DUH JACKS...LEAVE DUH BUNNY RANCH.....TA INVADE DUH UNFRIENDLY CONFINES.....O' TUBBY FIELD........(NAW....IT AIN'T WASH-IN-TON-GRIZZWOLD)....BUT AH'M GUARANTEEIN' UH SOLD OUT COOP....WHIFF PLENTY O' BRAWK!!...DUH TIME CHANGE....JET-LAG ISSUE.....MURK DUH WATERS..... ROCKS & PLAINS...AGIN'.....WALL O' HUMANITY @ SEA-LEVEL.....HENS SHOW SIGNS O' PLAY-OFF DESIRE......DUH JACKALS....TRYIN' TA OVERAH-COME....DUH ALL-TIME PLAY-OFF COLLAPSE....DIS CLASH...COOD GET GO-HENS.NET..BACK UP...;)....WHAA NOT CORSO & CO....DIGGIN' INTA UH ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET.....WHILE RABID PECKER-HEADS......SCREAM PHILLY STYLE INSULTS.....BETTERAH CIRCLE DUH CONESTOGAS.....'BRER RABBITS......ESPN...GET YER TRUCKS TA NEWARK......WHO CARES 'BOUT ALABAMA/LSU......USC/NOTRA DAMUS.......O-STATE/MICHIGAN....xhypedx...AWK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!!

It took me 15 minutes to read and understand this, but I second whatever you said Mr. Chicken!! xnodx

Pard94
May 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Interest, keep in mind the Bayou Classic draws from 50K to 70K from all over the country, Lehigh vs Lafayette is a great rivalry but exactly how much interest is there from people who have no affiliation with either school?

So you are guaranteed an audience of your typical 50K-70K. I don't think the Bayou Classic would draw any additional people outside of their regularly affiliated audiences more than Lafayette vs. Lehigh would. Our game is also telecasts around the country so I don't think we'd be that far behind from a numbers perspective. And by the way...the kind of numbers we are talking about are small potatoes for the likes of ESPN anyway. I don't think they make decisions based on exisiting numbers that might top out at 100K people. It's all about how you can market the match up. I guess my point is there is a story line that can be played up with Lafayette vs. Lehigh that doesn't exist with any other game. It's college football's most played rivalry (all of college football...any level). It's the same story that is pitched with Harvard vs. Yale or Army vs. Navy. Hated foes squaring off as they have done for literally over 100 years. It's also a "backyard brawl" type of deal as the schools are roughly 15 miles apart. It's also the site of High School football's most played rivalry (Phillipsburgh vs. Easton) which WAS played on ESPN three years ago. It's also roughly an hour and a half away from Bristol, CT...home of ESPN. Hell ESPN named it the 8th Best College Football Rivalry and Sports Illustrated named it as one of the Top 10 Sporting Events you Have to Experience Before you Die. The Bayou Classic? I'm older than the Bayou Classic!

WestCoastAggie
May 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM
It took me 15 minutes to read and understand this, but I second whatever you said Mr. Chicken!! xnodx

Am I the only one that can fully comprehend Mr. Chicken? xconfusedx xlolx

jmufan999
May 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
just a few that come to mind: Delaware-JMU is fairly contentious but i don't think either will be good enough in 2010 to make it a compelling matchup. for the CAA, i'd instead choose W&M-Richmond, UNH-Nova, or Nova-Richmond. anything with app state is usually compelling, just pick whoever out of the SoCon would provide the best matchup and put them on. i like the Ivy League idea, that would be kinda cool.

jmufan999
May 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Am I the only one that can fully comprehend Mr. Chicken? xconfusedx xlolx

you're not the only one. :) btw, i'm assuming you meant the "only one that CAN'T fully comprehend" Mr. Chicken.

WestCoastAggie
May 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM
you're not the only one. :) btw, i'm assuming you meant the "only one that CAN'T fully comprehend" Mr. Chicken.

No. I CAN fully understand Mr. Chicken. xlolx

I've been in the south too long xlolx

jmufan999
May 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
No. I CAN fully understand Mr. Chicken. xlolx

I've been in the south too long xlolx

haha ok. you're the official translator then. :)

GAD
May 20th, 2010, 10:33 AM
So you are guaranteed an audience of your typical 50K-70K. I don't think the Bayou Classic would draw any additional people outside of their regularly affiliated audiences more than Lafayette vs. Lehigh would. Our game is also telecasts around the country so I don't think we'd be that far behind from a numbers perspective. And by the way...the kind of numbers we are talking about are small potatoes for the likes of ESPN anyway. I don't think they make decisions based on exisiting numbers that might top out at 100K people. It's all about how you can market the match up. I guess my point is there is a story line that can be played up with Lafayette vs. Lehigh that doesn't exist with any other game. It's college football's most played rivalry (all of college football...any level). It's the same story that is pitched with Harvard vs. Yale or Army vs. Navy. Hated foes squaring off as they have done for literally over 100 years. It's also a "backyard brawl" type of deal as the schools are roughly 15 miles apart. It's also the site of High School football's most played rivalry (Phillipsburgh vs. Easton) which WAS played on ESPN three years ago. It's also roughly an hour and a half away from Bristol, CT...home of ESPN. Hell ESPN named it the 8th Best College Football Rivalry and Sports Illustrated named it as one of the Top 10 Sporting Events you Have to Experience Before you Die. The Bayou Classic? I'm older than the Bayou Classic!
I watched Phillipsburgh vs Easton on ESPN you are correct it was a awesome game!
You do realize Southern vs Grambling is the HBCU version of Army vs Navy or Yale vs Harvard don't you "the Bayou Classic " is only about 35 years old but these to school were playing long before that, the game was moved to Shreveport because Alumni Stadium(GSU) and University Stadium(SU) were just to small to contain the growing crowd. It then had to be moved to New Orleans where it sold out the Superdome for a number of years.

There are usually about 200,000 people in the city of New Orleans for Bayou Classic weekend these people come from all over the nation we get hugh groups from California, Texas, Illinois, and New York who come just to be a part of this game.

As far as things that can be played up Grambling is where Eddie Robinson D-I footballs all-time winningest coach worked.

GAD
May 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
btw I was in no way trying to knock the Lehigh vs Lafayette game it is as great as any in college football not just FCS!

Pard94
May 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
btw I was in no way trying to knock the Lehigh vs Lafayette game it is as great as any in college football not just FCS!

I hear you and I appreciate that. Just making my case for The Rivalry. If history, continuity and tradition are the critera...Lafayette vs. Lehigh wins. If we're talking about sheer size...The Bayou Classic gets the nod. How's that for a comprimise?

Silenoz
May 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
If EWU actually had the facilities and fanbase, I'd say the inaugural game on the red turf versus Montana would be up there.

JMUNJ08
May 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
If EWU actually had the facilities and fanbase, I'd say the inaugural game on the red turf versus Montana would be up there.

That should be the lead in game before a home game for Boise State. I can only imagine the people calling in complaining they are seeing the football fields as red and blue instead of green! xlolx

As for the CAA, we have to have a school that can pack in the folks not just a great game. Home games at UNH/UR/Nova will not do as so few ppl can be in the crowds. May I suggest the ODU/W&M game? Should have a FANTASTIC and LOUD crowd as its a big football area and the schools are relatively close by. Just have no idea if the product will be good with ODU as a big unknown from all the desert they played on the field last year.

Ivytalk
May 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Harvard-Penn at Franklin Field made it to ESPN about 7 or 8 years ago, but I don't think it hosted Gameday. One of the idiot announcers showed up in a tux.

UNIFanSince1983
May 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Even though we will be down UNI-SIU is always a great match, and should be good since they open up a new stadium.

Redbird Ray
May 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Even though we will be down UNI-SIU is always a great match, and should be good since they open up a new stadium.

I hope in some twisted way, SIU could get a football College Gameday. That would piss off the Illini Nation in C-U so much that crappy little Carbondale/SIU would get both Gameday's before UofI/Champaing/Urbana does!

As far as the MVFC goes, this is still THE rivalry game in the MVFC. But if ISU (red) is as good as some of us hope, and SIU is as good as usual, Oct 2 in Normal will be a monster game as well.

Panther88
May 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
In terms of actual attendance, the biggest games will be the Bayou Classic, Florida Classic, Magic City classic and maybe the Atlanta Football Classic.

And as of right now, I can't think of a FCS game where College Gameday should show up for, right now.

Prairie View A&M University vs Grambling State University @ the SFC, Dallas, Texas. Normally 60K+, when inclement weather isn't evident.

THAT is the game for all the marbles this fall (potentially).xbowx

Franks Tanks
May 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Harvard-Penn at Franklin Field made it to ESPN about 7 or 8 years ago, but I don't think it hosted Gameday. One of the idiot announcers showed up in a tux.

Game Day was at the 2002 Harvard-Penn game at Franklin field after Beano Cook suggested they attend.

The problem with Harvard-Yale, Lafayette-Lehigh, and other FCS rivalries is that they occur on the same weekend as games like Ohio State-Michigan and they almost always go to those big games. For Game Day to attend an FCS game it has to be an off weekend for FBS.

MR. CHICKEN
May 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
MAYBEAH WE NEED TA PLAY..........TUESDAY...THRU....FRIDAY.....ONCE IN UH WHILE.....TA GET OURAH BRAND......ON ONE UH DUH ESPN'S.............xtwocentsx..........AWK!!

headdressguy
May 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM
MAYBEAH WE NEED TA PLAY..........TUESDAY...THRU....FRIDAY.....ONCE IN UH WHILE.....TA GET OURAH BRAND......ON ONE UH DUH ESPN'S.............xtwocentsx..........AWK!!

Thursdays definitely helped the Big East in 2006-2008 (in some ways, they were almost too successful on Thursdays - now almost every BCS autobid conference is getting in on the action). On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how much the Tues/Wed games really help the exposure of or respect for the Sun Belt or MAC.

FCS might actually be in a decent position moving forward - if the revenue generated by Big Ten Network causes other FBS conferences to create their own programming channels, there could be some openings on Saturdays on ESPNU, Versus, CBS College Sports, etc.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Thursdays definitely helped the Big East in 2006-2008 (in some ways, they were almost too successful on Thursdays - now almost every BCS autobid conference is getting in on the action). On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how much the Tues/Wed games really help the exposure of or respect for the Sun Belt or MAC.

FCS might actually be in a decent position moving forward - if the revenue generated by Big Ten Network causes other FBS conferences to create their own programming channels, there could be some openings on Saturdays on ESPNU, Versus, CBS College Sports, etc.

I absolutely love those mid-week MAC games!!! There's something about having a little dough riding on Toledo, Central Michigan, or Miami (OH) to cover a spread by hanging 60+ points on somebody that I look forward to each and every week during the season. It gets me through those long work days...

Man, I CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!! xsmileyclapx

Redbird Ray
May 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
I absolutely love those mid-week MAC games!!! There's something about having a little dough riding on Toledo, Central Michigan, or Miami (OH) to cover a spread by hanging 60+ points on somebody that I look forward to each and every week during the season. It gets me through those long work days...

Man, I CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!! xsmileyclapx

I second this (sort of). I love watching them, because just about any time football is on TV, I will watch. And it does bring a lot of attention, maybe not admiration but attention, to MAC football. Scott Van Pelt always jokes about gambling on mid-week MAC football games. It sounds like a joke, but I seriously think that there is a sub-culture out there that does this.

However, MAC teams are always bitching about playing the mid-week games because they say the atmosphere and attendance usually gets hurt big time. I can understand this perspective, but to me, the amount of viewership that is produced from some of the random, off-the-radar conference games is extremely valuable.

4th and What?
May 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
anything with app state is usually compelling, just pick whoever out of the SoCon would provide the best matchup and put them on.

No chance ESPN touches another App State/Wofford matchup for at least 10 years :D