PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Big South Predictions

jcmanson
May 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
With an automatic bid to the playoffs on the line I imagine conference play will be more competitive than ever.

1a. Liberty – return just about everyone, has CSU and SBU at home which gives them the edge for the first auto bid

1b. Stony Brook – returns a lot, plus adds several good looking transfers, has to play LU on the road though

3. Charleston Southern – I think they’re the best of the rest, but not good enough to crack the top 2 especially having to travel to both Lynchburg and Long Island

4. Coastal Carolina – they have the talent, but will it translate to on the field success?

5. Gardner Webb – not as sure about what they lost and have coming back, but they have to be better than the bottom 2, and they always have a late season collapse that keeps out of the top 2-3

6. Presbyterian – 2nd year with their coach, and they should show some improvement – after all they can’t do much worse

7. VMI – very disappointing ’09 season coupled with the loss of their big 3 on offense, and this could be a long year for the Keydets

11/20/10 - Conference championship game in Lynchburg b/w LU and SBU. Should be alot of fun as both teams look for their first ever playoff bid.

WestCoastAggie
May 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
2 bids are quite possible for the Big South if LU & SB live up to the preseason expectations.

drm7336
May 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Don't write GW off just yet. There is a new wind a blowin' through Boiling Springs!

UNH Fanboi
May 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
2 bids are quite possible for the Big South if LU & SB live up to the preseason expectations.

There are only two extra at-large bids this year. Considering the Big South's 1st place team has never gotten an at-large, I don't see their 2nd place team all of a sudden getting an at-large. As we saw with Liberty in 2008 and 2009, a weak schedule leaves very little room for error. The JMU and UMass games on 9/25 will be very good tests of the Big South's strength.

kdinva
May 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Keydets will NOT be 7th in 2010xnodx. Sparky Woods has his offense in place now, with a good mixture of veterans who have adapted to the new playbook, along with two recruiting classes directed towards what he wants to do on offensexsmileyclapx, not Jim Reid's/Brent Davis's option.

How soon the O-line adapts to "new" blocking techniques will be very huge.

jcmanson
May 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Keydets will NOT be 7th in 2010xnodx. Sparky Woods has his offense in place now, with a good mixture of veterans who have adapted to the new playbook, along with two recruiting classes directed towards what he wants to do on offensexsmileyclapx, not Jim Reid's/Brent Davis's option.

How soon the O-line adapts to "new" blocking techniques will be very huge.

I hope you're right. I was very high on VMI last year, but I'm not sure what happened. I just don't see you finishing higher than 6th though after losing Maypray, Abegesah, and Hughes.

kdinva
May 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I hope you're right. I was very high on VMI last year, but I'm not sure what happened. I just don't see you finishing higher than 6th though after losing Maypray, Abegesah, and Hughes.
All of Rockbridge county was puzzled about 2009xsmhx. Mostly put the ball on the ground too much, missed exchanges between QB and FB, or pitches behind the slotbacks. Even 4 or 5 screwed-up C and QB exchanges. (and, one Maypray punt return where the ball bounced off of his shoulder, and into a Liberty players' arms for 6.:()

In their scrimmage on April 24th, about 70 plays worth, one interception, no fumbles or bad center exchanges.xnodx

It's a new day in Lexington.:)

Seawolf97
May 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
With an automatic bid to the playoffs on the line I imagine conference play will be more competitive than ever.

1a. Liberty – return just about everyone, has CSU and SBU at home which gives them the edge for the first auto bid

1b. Stony Brook – returns a lot, plus adds several good looking transfers, has to play LU on the road though

3. Charleston Southern – I think they’re the best of the rest, but not good enough to crack the top 2 especially having to travel to both Lynchburg and Long Island

4. Coastal Carolina – they have the talent, but will it translate to on the field success?

5. Gardner Webb – not as sure about what they lost and have coming back, but they have to be better than the bottom 2, and they always have a late season collapse that keeps out of the top 2-3

6. Presbyterian – 2nd year with their coach, and they should show some improvement – after all they can’t do much worse

7. VMI – very disappointing ’09 season coupled with the loss of their big 3 on offense, and this could be a long year for the Keydets

11/20/10 - Conference championship game in Lynchburg b/w LU and SBU. Should be alot of fun as both teams look for their first ever playoff bid.

Have to agree 11/20 will decide the conference titile. Hopefully another cliff hanger like last year.

Redwyn
May 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Can't wait!

jcmanson
May 20th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Have to agree 11/20 will decide the conference titile. Hopefully another cliff hanger like last year.

Agreed. As much as I hated the final outcome, that game was easily one of the 5 best games I've ever seen in person.

How well do you guys typically travel?

bodoyle
May 20th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'll be at CCU on my birthday for the CCU/LU game.

Yosef84
May 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM
There are only two extra at-large bids this year. Considering the Big South's 1st place team has never gotten an at-large, I don't see their 2nd place team all of a sudden getting an at-large. As we saw with Liberty in 2008 and 2009, a weak schedule leaves very little room for error. The JMU and UMass games on 9/25 will be very good tests of the Big South's strength.

Coastal Carolina got an at-large bid in 2006

UNH Fanboi
May 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My mistake, but I still think there's no chance they get two teams in.

Redwyn
May 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
My mistake, but I still think there's no chance they get two teams in.

This depends on
1. OOC performance
2. A sweep of all other conference opponents
3. The rest of the conference doing well enough to not be an RPI sinkhole

I only see SBU or Liberty getting this opportunity. None of the other schools have a strong team and play a good schedule. The key to both team's entry will be CAA wins (SBU vs. Mass and Liberty vs. JMU). Wins there will get them poll votes and notoriety. Because of the DII SBU will have to sweep the rest OOC to reach that position (and perform respectably against South Florida). Liberty has a little bit of cushion, but still has doorstops St. Francis (PA) and Robert Morris on the schedule.

Seawolf97
May 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have to believe it will come down to SBU-Liberty in November. The conference didnt schedule us head to head as the last game of the season for nothing. Unless either one of us slips up along the way that will be the title game again.