PDA

View Full Version : WAC Turns Head Towards FCS - SLC, GWFC and Big Sky

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Okay, so what's the deal? Which FCS schools will end up going into the WAC?

I've heard the following schools mentioned for a WAC spot...

TXST
UT-San Anotnio
UC-Davis
Cal Poly
Montana
Sacramento State

Am I missing anyone else?

The folks in San Marcos are eating up the fact that they are part of the WAC discussion, though does the league really expand that far east? Or are they just giving into the fact that La Tech is having problems finding a home and are trying to create an 'eastern division'-type thing with the Texas schools in the mix? We know North Texas has turned them down in the past.

From a Southland Conference standpoint, we've already discussed the fact that we could lose TXST, UTSA, Lamar and Sam Houston State at some point in the next five years. Throw in Stephen F. Austin if you would like. Either way, the SLC may be close to the epicenter, especially if the WAC and Sun Belt begin to maneuver.

If any of the Big Sky schools were to leave...does Southern Utah leave the Summit League for the Big Sky? Does the Big Sky want that? Does the Big Sky go after the UND/USD combo when this occurs? Do those schools want in the Big Sky or would they prefer waiting for a Summit League spot?

Thoughts?

FargoBison
May 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM
USD is joining the Summit in 2011. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see SUU join the Big Sky, that gets even more likely if Montana is WAC bound.

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I would see western Sun Belt schools (North Texas, LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette) as being among the first choices.

MaximumBobcat
May 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
TXST and UTSA would, IMO, both immediately accept an invitation from the WAC. Since they're both actively trying to move up, neither have much room to snub anyone.

Montana is a great geographic fit for the WAC and opens up new TV markets. The two Texas schools do as well.

Those are the three FCS schools most likely to move to the WAC in the next 2-5 years in my estimation. The California schools also fit into the geographic footprint, but I haven't seen too much call for them to move to FBS. If one or more of them starts an FBS push, they could move to the upper part of the list as well.

JALMOND
May 18th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Okay, so what's the deal? Which FCS schools will end up going into the WAC?

I've heard the following schools mentioned for a WAC spot...

TXST
UT-San Anotnio
UC-Davis
Cal Poly
Montana
Sacramento State

Am I missing anyone else?

The folks in San Marcos are eating up the fact that they are part of the WAC discussion, though does the league really expand that far east? Or are they just giving into the fact that La Tech is having problems finding a home and are trying to create an 'eastern division'-type thing with the Texas schools in the mix? We know North Texas has turned them down in the past.

From a Southland Conference standpoint, we've already discussed the fact that we could lose TXST, UTSA, Lamar and Sam Houston State at some point in the next five years. Throw in Stephen F. Austin if you would like. Either way, the SLC may be close to the epicenter, especially if the WAC and Sun Belt begin to maneuver.

If any of the Big Sky schools were to leave...does Southern Utah leave the Summit League for the Big Sky? Does the Big Sky want that? Does the Big Sky go after the UND/USD combo when this occurs? Do those schools want in the Big Sky or would they prefer waiting for a Summit League spot?

Thoughts?

For roughly the last 6 years, Portland State has been rumored to be on many of the WAC's short lists. So much, actually, that I've tuned them out, but they are still out there.

FargoBison
May 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Do the Cali schools have the money needed to move up?

MaximumBobcat
May 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Radio interview with WAC commish Karl Benson...

http://espn1420am.com/includes/news_items/21/301/bensonp2.mp3

For those who are interested...at the 5:40 point he begins to talk about TXST for a little bit. He continues talking about UC-Davis, CalPoly, etc...

rest of interview: http://espn1420am.com/shows/recently_bobby_curran.php

Redbird Ray
May 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM
It seems to me that Louisiana Tech is the main player in this whole WAC alignment discussion. If LA Tech does not get a CUSA invite (looking like this is the case with Texas State being verbally courted by Benson so much at the moment) then I believe the WAC tries to find some Texas area schools to fill in the gap.

If LA Tech does get a CUSA invite, then I would try to keep the WAC footprint west of Colorado.

Of course a lot of this also depends on how many WAC teams bolt for the MWC. It seems like Boise State is a done deal to the MWC, and possibly Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii could be leaving the WAC as well. I tend to think that the Cali schools are not quite ready for FBS just yet, but Texas State, UTSA, Portland State, and Montana all appear to be solid candidates.

TheBisonator
May 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
If NDSU wanted to, they would express interest in the WAC. Problem is that our stadium cannot be easily expanded. I'm still pretty sure an upper deck can be added to the west side of the Fargodome increasing capacity to around 23,000 or so. But that would be hard.

JSU02
May 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
If NDSU wanted to, they would express interest in the WAC. Problem is that our stadium cannot be easily expanded. I'm still pretty sure an upper deck can be added to the west side of the Fargodome increasing capacity to around 23,000 or so. But that would be hard.

Its already bigger than the Kibby Dome, so that shouldn't be a problem.

JSU02
May 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
It seems to me that Louisiana Tech is the main player in this whole WAC alignment discussion. If LA Tech does not get a CUSA invite (looking like this is the case with Texas State being verbally courted by Benson so much at the moment) then I believe the WAC tries to find some Texas area schools to fill in the gap.

If LA Tech does get a CUSA invite, then I would try to keep the WAC footprint west of Colorado.

Of course a lot of this also depends on how many WAC teams bolt for the MWC. It seems like Boise State is a done deal to the MWC, and possibly Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii could be leaving the WAC as well. I tend to think that the Cali schools are not quite ready for FBS just yet, but Texas State, UTSA, Portland State, and Montana all appear to be solid candidates.

Boise is most likely gone to the MWC this summer, but it looks like Fresno and Nevada won't be joining them this time around, but may in a year or 2 if the MWC has to reload from a possible raid by the Big 12 (if there is a Big 12 left to do some raiding). TXST, UTSA, and Lamar would make a nice WAC-East along with NMSU and La Tech, should La Tech not move to CUSA (there are more attractive candidates for CUSA to choose from) If or when Nevada and Fresno move on to greener pastures, Cal-Poly and UC-Davis would be great candidates. I just don't see the Cali schools announcing an FBS plan in this economy.

Green Cookie Monster
May 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Do the Cali schools have the money needed to move up?

Sac State has an athletic budget of $15M and the lowest tuition in the Union. Which is only $2-3M below USU, Idaho and SJSU and above La Tech. FBS revenue will easily bridge the gap. Students pay the majority of athletic taxes, so the current budget crunch has had mimimum negative impact.

CP is almost the same budget and davis has a higher budget b/c their tuition is at least 33% higher than the two CSU's listed.

I would like to see Sac State in the WAC. But as a TXST alum too, it would be nice to see them added, the footprint just doesnt work IMO with La Tech leaving.

Sac State already owns three recent WAC championships.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 09:15 AM
First of all, I absolutely think a Texas school could go to the WAC. The MWC has had great success recently with TCU.

Now would it be North Texas or would it be an FCS Texas school? Not sure. You'd have to figure in potential market share, figure in being at 85 scholarships already vs. getting to 85 quickly and figure in facilities.

Maybe they look at adding two TX schools, say North Texas and UT-San Antonio?

Otherwise, I think Montana is a natural choice except for market. But you have to figure that you can count the entire state population, for what it's worth, as Montana's "market". Obviously great facilities and would have no problem getting to 85 fast.

The issue with Montana is would the alumni and admin support a move up?

Then as far as the west coast FCS schools (Sac, Davis, Poly and Portland), the money issue has to be a concern. Facilities are also a concern (bball facilities at all except Davis are sub-standard for DI). But it would reduce travel over going to TX.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Sac State has an athletic budget of $15M and the lowest tuition in the Union. Which is only $2-3M below USU, Idaho and SJSU. FBS revenue will easily bridge the gap. Students pay the majority of athletic taxes, so the current budget crunch has had mimimum negative impact.

CP is almost the same budget and davis has a higher budget b/c their tuition is at least 33% higher than the two CSU's listed.

I would like to see Sac State in the WAC. But as a TXST alum too, it would be nice to see them added, the footprint just doesnt work IMO with La Tech leaving.

La Tech leaving the WAC? To where?

Green Cookie Monster
May 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
La Tech leaving the WAC? To where?

According to Benson, La Tech already has two feet out the door. Where, my guess CUSA.

BTW...Sac State has a bigger athletic budget than La Tech. And Louisiana is talking about shuttering campuses, that is much more draconian than anything happening in California.

bball at Sac would use Arco if needed.

Tim James
May 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM
CUSA has 12 teams so bringing in La. Tech as a 13th member would be awkward, no ? Sunbelt has 8 football schools + 9 with S. Alabama and LA. Tech would be 10. Granted CUSA is better than the Sunbelt but its not really a huge gap.

JSU02
May 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
LA Tech burned its SunBelt bridge long ago. Despite complementary geographies, LATech hates the SunBelt and the SunBelt hates LA Tech.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM
According to Benson, La Tech already has two feet out the door. Where, my guess CUSA.

BTW...Sac State has a bigger athletic budget than La Tech. And Louisiana is talking about shuttering campuses, that is much more draconian than anything happening in California.

Right..I'm sure the cost of renting out Arco will be offset by the crowd of 1-2k.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I suppose we'll see...but my guess is Tulane would black-ball them.

Sun Belt is not on the table either. WAC seems like their only realistic option, unless they drop football.

wapiti
May 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I do not see Montana going anywhere without Montana State.
I have heard this from Montana fans.

msusig
May 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
TXST and UTSA would, IMO, both immediately accept an invitation from the WAC. Since they're both actively trying to move up, neither have much room to snub anyone.

Montana is a great geographic fit for the WAC and opens up new TV markets. The two Texas schools do as well.

Those are the three FCS schools most likely to move to the WAC in the next 2-5 years in my estimation. The California schools also fit into the geographic footprint, but I haven't seen too much call for them to move to FBS. If one or more of them starts an FBS push, they could move to the upper part of the list as well.

I thought that UTSA doesn't want to be in the same conference as Texas State because they don't want to be associated with TS and have they even scheduled them to play a game yet?

I'm guessing the WAC has the chance of being torn to shreds with the conference expansions. It's a huge domino effect:

BIG TEN raids the Big East & Big 12
PAC10 raids the MWC & Big 12
BIG 12 raids the MWC & CUSA
MWC raids the WAC & potentially FCS
Big East raids the CUSA & independents
CUSA raids the Sunbelt and FCS
Sunbelt raids the FCS
WAC raids the FCS

FCS loses their top schools and NCAA creates more rules for moving up.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
As long as a FCS school has an invitation from a FBS conference and $$$$ to pay-off the NCAA, they will be allowed to move up.

TheBisonator
May 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Its already bigger than the Kibby Dome, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, the Kibbie Dome will soon have several hundred more seats than the Fargodome. U of Idaho is expanding it to 20,000 seats or something like that. NDSU would have the smallest stadium in FBS if we went there. Fargodome's capacity is a little over 19,000. The good thing is that for less than the cost of a brand-new stadium, the roof slope on the west side can be re-angled (and new concourses build behind the west wall) so that a second deck can be added to the west side. 23,000 or so would be the capacity, which I think would be acceptable for the WAC.

NDSU is capable of getting 23,000+ to a game (assuming for extra capacity). A couple games we had from 2006-2008 we had to turn away thousands of potential customers because the capacity limit was reached. We could have had 23-24,000 for the game against SDSU back in 2006 if there was unlimited capacity. Same deal with Homecoming against Southern Illinois in 2008.

txstatebobcat
May 19th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I thought that UTSA doesn't want to be in the same conference as Texas State because they don't want to be associated with TS and have they even scheduled them to play a game yet?

I'm guessing the WAC has the chance of being torn to shreds with the conference expansions. It's a huge domino effect:

Sunbelt raids the FCS
WAC raids the FCS

While both TxSt and UTSA would prefer CUSA, the reality of the situation is that neither school has much choice in the matter and will accept the first invitation that comes along.

JALMOND
May 19th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I do not see Montana going anywhere without Montana State.
I have heard this from Montana fans.

Back in the early 80's when Montana State had the top football team in the state and rumors were going on that the Bobcats would move out of the Big Sky, the Montana Board of Regents said that any conference that would take the Bobcats had to take the Grizzlies as well. I would think that "agreement" would reciprocate in this day and age, and anyone who takes the Grizzlies had to take the Bobcats as well (although we are talking about 30 years ago).

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Actually, the Kibbie Dome will soon have several hundred more seats than the Fargodome. U of Idaho is expanding it to 20,000 seats or something like that. NDSU would have the smallest stadium in FBS if we went there. Fargodome's capacity is a little over 19,000. The good thing is that for less than the cost of a brand-new stadium, the roof slope on the west side can be re-angled (and new concourses build behind the west wall) so that a second deck can be added to the west side. 23,000 or so would be the capacity, which I think would be acceptable for the WAC.

NDSU is capable of getting 23,000+ to a game (assuming for extra capacity). A couple games we had from 2006-2008 we had to turn away thousands of potential customers because the capacity limit was reached. We could have had 23-24,000 for the game against SDSU back in 2006 if there was unlimited capacity. Same deal with Homecoming against Southern Illinois in 2008.

You might be surprised how cheaply a new stadium can be built. Akron built a 30k seat stadium, brand new and quite nice for ~62 million dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium_%E2%80%93_Summa_Field

You're telling me we could retrofit the Fargodome for anything less than $100 million? I flat out don't believe it until I see the figures published in the forum.

GoAgs72
May 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I just don't see UC Davis, Sac State or Cal Poly moving up. I don't think they have large enough fan bases, money or interest at this point. Only Sac State has a stadium big enough and it needs some serious upgrades. Only Cal Poly has even made it into the FCS playoffs. Also, UC Davis academic staff voted against the move to FCS for fear of diluting academics by downgrading entrance standards for athletes. I don't think they would support moving up again at all. When UC Davis moved to FCS, they were near the top of the heap in D2 and in the playoffs almost every year plus D2 disappeared from California except for Humboldt State so a move made more sense.

Twentysix
May 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
You might be surprised how cheaply a new stadium can be built. Akron built a 30k seat stadium, brand new and quite nice for ~62 million dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium_%E2%80%93_Summa_Field

You're telling me we could retrofit the Fargodome for anything less than $100 million? I flat out don't believe it until I see the figures published in the forum.

Thats funny cause we still havent made 16 million in donations to hit that magic 32 million dollar mark for basektball. And you think 62 million is possible? Doubt it. Maybe 45 cause its football, the pockets would definetly be deeper...but 62 million?

JBB
May 20th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I have read the Fabulous Fargo Dome cannot be expanded. I also believe a new stadium in Fargo with a 30,000 seat capacity is a real possibility. As pointed out a stadium like this would cost about what NDSU was talking about spending on an addition to the FFD for basketball. Its become clear the basketball arena is going to be handled with private funds leaving the 50 million or so the FFD had for the addition ready to go on a new football stadium. All it would take is an invite from an FBS conference.

MplsBison
May 20th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Thats funny cause we still havent made 16 million in donations to hit that magic 32 million dollar mark for basektball. And you think 62 million is possible? Doubt it. Maybe 45 cause its football, the pockets would definetly be deeper...but 62 million?

If Akron can do it...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2010, 09:32 AM
All this is contingent on the Big Ten making a move, something that is far from certain from happening. With Delany's comments to "look south" (read: Texas and TAMU), everything's up in the air.

darell1976
May 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have read the Fabulous Fargo Dome cannot be expanded. I also believe a new stadium in Fargo with a 30,000 seat capacity is a real possibility. As pointed out a stadium like this would cost about what NDSU was talking about spending on an addition to the FFD for basketball. Its become clear the basketball arena is going to be handled with private funds leaving the 50 million or so the FFD had for the addition ready to go on a new football stadium. All it would take is an invite from an FBS conference.

They need that money to either bail out their players or add another outdoor bathroom at the president's house.xlolx

JBB
May 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
Are you serious. Is that what you are here for, to use the message board to extend your personal hate for NDSU and its fans to the world? Please Darrell. Get with it. You need professional help.

slostang
May 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Are you serious. Is that what you are here for, to use the message board to extend your personal hate for NDSU and its fans to the world? Please Darrell. Get with it. You need professional help.

Hey JBB, for once I agree with you on somethng. :)

Darrell, that is what the smack board is for. Please do not turn this thread into a UND/NDSU pissing match.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
I just don't see UC Davis, Sac State or Cal Poly moving up. I don't think they have large enough fan bases, money or interest at this point. Only Sac State has a stadium big enough and it needs some serious upgrades. Only Cal Poly has even made it into the FCS playoffs. Also, UC Davis academic staff voted against the move to FCS for fear of diluting academics by downgrading entrance standards for athletes. I don't think they would support moving up again at all. When UC Davis moved to FCS, they were near the top of the heap in D2 and in the playoffs almost every year plus D2 disappeared from California except for Humboldt State so a move made more sense.

All the Cal schools are trying to figure out how they're going to pay their teachers. Not exactly a good time to be bringing up at the board meeting their "WAC in 2015" spending plan, complete with $100 million upgrades to facilities.

darell1976
May 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hey JBB, for once I agree with you on somethng. :)

Darrell, that is what the smack board is for. Please do not turn this thread into a UND/NDSU pissing match.

Just a joke. Didn't mention UND man. Sorry.

slycat
May 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
North Texas has turned down the WAC in the past. They want CUSA, don;t see them going to WAC at all.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
North Texas has turned down the WAC in the past. They want CUSA, don;t see them going to WAC at all.

UTSA to the WAC it is, then?

slycat
May 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
UTSA to the WAC it is, then?

I could see both Texas St and UTSA going. It would make sense to add to schools in Texas. Creates a rivalry and makes it easier to travel to Texas because they could just stay the week and play both.

TokyoGriz
June 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Sunbelt raids the FCS
WAC raids the FCS

I think after the end of this rodeo you will see Montana in either WAC or even MWC.

If Montana and Montana State are offered spots in the same conference the chances of them moving into the WAC or MWC go up cosiderably. Newspaper article have WAC officials publicly stating they are looking at Montana and Montana State, among a few others. So both schools moving up is possible.

TXST_CAT
June 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
WAC can go to 12 adding Montana, TXST, UTSA, and UNT. Last time UNT turned down the WAC because they wanted additional teams in the "East". Seeing what Boise was able to do in the WAC and seeing what little respect the Belt gets I think UNT is ready to accept a new invite to the WAC.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2010, 10:30 PM
WAC can go to 12 adding Montana, TXST, UTSA, and UNT. Last time UNT turned down the WAC because they wanted additional teams in the "East". Seeing what Boise was able to do in the WAC and seeing what little respect the Belt gets I think UNT is ready to accept a new invite to the WAC.

Have a tough time seeing Montana "going alone". It's not a UT/A&M situation where one school would go alone...

And I'm not sure UNT is ready to accept an invite to the WAC. If it comes, would they take it? Not sure. I am sure their AD has looked at the WAC and would probably stray away as they'd rather associate themselves with SMU, UH and Rice than TXST, UTSA and whomever else...

The realignment is still not over...I think any potential FCS add-ons are still a few weeks away. Would be surprised if there was any FCS to FBS conference changes here this week as the whole Big 12 situation has to work itself out, namely as it relates to the "leftovers" and how it impacts the MWC.

I think the WAC is stuck in neutral, since the MWC/Big 12 changes directly impact them and their attractiveness...

ThreadStopper
June 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I think the WAC is stuck in neutral, since the MWC/Big 12 changes directly impact them and their attractiveness...

As much as I would like to believe that this will all be settled soon I suspect you are right TT

FargoBison
June 13th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah right now the WAC is probably looking at schools but really they are hoping that MWC will be picked a part instead. Which could free them of La Tech and then allow a MWC leftovers/WAC merger to occur.

There is a slim chance that all the realignment could occur with just FBS conferences reshuffling themselves, but in the end I think one or two FCS schools will probably move up. It won't be a mass exit by any means though, which is good for the FCS.

rufus
June 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM
There is a slim chance that all the realignment could occur with just FBS conferences reshuffling themselves, but in the end I think one or two FCS schools will probably move up. It won't be a mass exit by any means though, which is good for the FCS.
Depending on how things shake out, it would be a lot more than one or two FCS schools moving up. There are obviously the west of the Mississippi schools that are being discussed in this thread, but the realignment has the potential to impact east coast schools as well.

If the Big Ten and SEC both go to 16, the Big East will likely be dismantled when it's raided by the the Big Ten and ACC (replacing teams lost to the SEC). Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF will be left behind, because their academics aren't up to Big Ten/ACC standards. Those three schools will keep the much-diminished "Big East" banner, and will likely add ECU, Memphis, and UCF. Depending on how large those schools decide to grow the conference, some current FCS schools could possibly find themselves in the mix. Beyond that conference, there will likely be FCS impact via CUSA realignment and Sun Belt expansion.

When all is said and done, I expect to see around 8-12 FCS schools make the jump in the next year. It will essentially reduce FCS by one conference.

ThompsonThe
June 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I doubt the Big East would survive that. More likely BE schools would be shuffling to go to C-USA or some other conference. Besides much pressure to give Auto Qualifier to MWC will be coming. Hope BE survives though.

wr70beh
June 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I doubt the Big East would survive that. More likely BE schools would be shuffling to go to C-USA or some other conference. Besides much pressure to give Auto Qualifier to MWC will be coming. Hope BE survives though.

I think the Big East will survive, but in basketball form only. I could see an expansion on the basketball side of the Big East, with all of the football schools out of the way. Of course, G'Town and Villanova will still remain but play FCS in different conferences.

I could see the Big East get gobbled up by the ACC after the SEC has their pick of Va Tech and some Florida schools.

GeauxLions94
June 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I would see western Sun Belt schools (North Texas, LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette) as being among the first choices.

As much help as Louisiana Tech needs, I don't see Louisiana-Monroe (a mere 30-minute drive from Ruston) getting in the WAC. Possible you could see ULL getting in.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM

I respectfully disagree... they'd be leaving one sinking ship to just land on another. The WAC, IMO, is actually in much deeper trouble than even the pathetic Sun Belt.

Sly Fox
June 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
ULaLa makes much more sense than La-Monroe. Frankly, the school formerly known as Northeastern Louisiana stands to be a HUGE loser in this whole deal and might find itself strongly considering a return to the Southland.

Frankly all of the east of the Mississippi movement would be based on significant expansion by the Big Ten & SEC. Personally I don't expect the Big Ten to do anymore right now and the SEC at most will take one more school in the East if A&M does in fact abandon their Texan & Okie rivals.

Now a possible step up together by a group of Eastern FCS schools along with some disenfranchised FBS programs would come fully into play if this realignment expands quickly into the crazy Big East/ACC/C-USA scenarios.

PhoenixSupreme
June 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I respectfully disagree... they'd be leaving one sinking ship to just land on another. The WAC, IMO, is actually in much deeper trouble than even the pathetic Sun Belt.

I'd agree. Losing Boise St. would be a huge blow since they are probably the only team the average fan has heard of from the WAC. Adding Sun Belt teams would not help with name recognition so in either case they will have to work from scratch. So why not bring in FCS schools since there's nothing to lose? Adding Montana would certainly help to restore a bit of name recognition to the conference but in the end the WAC teams will have to earn it themselves, much like Boise St did to make themselves and the conference known.

SM_Bobcat
August 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM
With the loses of Nevada, and Fresno State, it looks like the WAC's center may have to change.

Instead of La Tech, and New Mexico being the outliers in the conference, the outliers might have to be Hawaii and San Jose State. The WAC now is forced to find schools that can start immediately, and the Texas Schools are the best option... Looks like what was supposed to be the E-WAC now became the center of the WAC:
Hawaii
San Jose State
Idaho
Utah State
New Mexico State
La Tech
Texas State
UTSA

aggiemba
August 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM
SM BobCat,

Interesting idea, but we are hearing UC Davis and Cal Poly, with a possibility of Sac State depending on how everything shakes out.

SM_Bobcat
August 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
SM BobCat,

Interesting idea, but we are hearing UC Davis and Cal Poly, with a possibility of Sac State depending on how everything shakes out.

That very well could be as well. But, the WAC needs immediate members, and I was under the impression that the California schools were not ready to move up immediately....

msusig
August 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Just for fun, how about this?

Texas State
UTSA
New Mexico State
LA Tech
McNeese State
Sam Houston State

Hawaii
Utah State
Idaho
San Jose State
Montana
Montana State

ucdtim17
August 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
SM BobCat,

Hearing from whom exactly?

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hearing from whom exactly?

Karl Benson mentioned those three schools specifically in his conference call...

Montana studies have shown that FCS is their best interest. Next review on-going and they'll await answer. Tremendous program, fan base, great facility. In WAC footprint. Montana would be another perspective candidate...

Does not believe they can add schools in 2011-12...

SM_Bobcat
August 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
SM BobCat,

Not saying you are wrong. But Benson mentioned about the California schools having been in touch with the WAC about someday moving up. But seemed to question if they were intrested in moving up immediately....

coover
August 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I still do not believe Montana will move from FCS to FBS. The disadvantages are huge. They are now filling their stadium and are usually able to schedule more home games than away. FBS will be more expensive ... scholarships will increase, travel will increase, the number of sports football has to fund will increase, and after the "novelty" of FBS is over, attendance will probably decrease because Montana is no longer an elite team. The "big fish in the small pond" works in Missoula. The "minnow in the ocean" will not and the University knows it. Don't look for Montana (or Montana State) in the WAC. They'll remain in the Big Sky.

And as a Cal Poly alum and fan, that (the Big Sky) is where the Mustangs belong, too (football only). Perhaps the WAC will take CS Sacramento or Portland State, making room for Poly and Cal Davis in the Big Sky. The WAC would nice for Poly, but I don't think the San Luis Obispo area will or can support Big Time Football. The population isn't there for attendance or for television, and the large metropolitan newspapers in Los Angeles and San Francisco would ignore the school and team even if they were "big time." Most California Sports editors consider the Pac-10 the only important NCAA league in the west, and ignore the rest, particularly the WAC.

Go Mustangs!

TokyoGriz
August 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I still do not believe Montana will move from FCS to FBS. The disadvantages are huge. They are now filling their stadium and are usually able to schedule more home games than away. FBS will be more expensive ... scholarships will increase, travel will increase, the number of sports football has to fund will increase, and after the "novelty" of FBS is over, attendance will probably decrease because Montana is no longer an elite team. The "big fish in the small pond" works in Missoula. The "minnow in the ocean" will not and the University knows it. Don't look for Montana (or Montana State) in the WAC. They'll remain in the Big Sky.

And as a Cal Poly alum and fan, that (the Big Sky) is where the Mustangs belong, too (football only). Perhaps the WAC will take CS Sacramento or Portland State, making room for Poly and Cal Davis in the Big Sky. The WAC would nice for Poly, but I don't think the San Luis Obispo area will or can support Big Time Football. The population isn't there for attendance or for television, and the large metropolitan newspapers in Los Angeles and San Francisco would ignore the school and team even if they were "big time." Most California Sports editors consider the Pac-10 the only important NCAA league in the west, and ignore the rest, particularly the WAC.

Go Mustangs!

I wouldnt bet the farm on that if I were you.

Right now I would guess its a 50/50 shot that Montana decides the move to FBS would be in its best interest. The other option is if the WAC implodes to grab a few survivors and strengthen the Big Sky conference.

As far as needing someone who can move right now, there is still the 2 year moritorium. No one not even the texas schools no matter how desperate they are to go FBS can go up before that time.