PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Top FCS Running Backs

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4311260

Here are the top names on my board that he did not rank:

Aaron Ball, Villanova, Sr.
Ed Gowins, Stony Brook, Jr.
DeAngelo Branche, Norfolk State, Sr.
Rudell Small, Jacksonville, Sr.
John Griffin, UMASS, Sr.
Donald Babers, Prairie View A&M, Sr.

Syntax Error
May 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
kind of a lacking list?

Head Cat
May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Boy, it really takes a lot of work to interview ONE player and then put the rest of the list in alphabetical order. Once again, FCS Lite.

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Boy, it really takes a lot of work to interview ONE player and then put the rest of the list in alphabetical order. Once again, FCS Lite.

He is still getting his feet wet in the job but I agree it would be nice to see more than 10 players ranked.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Might want to watch some FCS game film before he starts throwing out top-10 lists.

Redwyn
May 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Anyone who doesn't put Ed Gowins near the top of the list of FCS RBs just broadcasts their own stupidity

Skjellyfetti
May 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Wait, stop the press. No one on the list from ASU. They ain't going to like that.xbangx

Did you read the article? xlolxxlolxxlolxxrotatehx

...Elon fans didn't learn from last year apparently.

elon77
May 18th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Did you read the article? xlolxxlolxxlolxxrotatehx

...Elon fans didn't learn from last year apparently.

Just did, see I deleted it. Called myself a dumb A$$ too.xnodx

bleedblue
May 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I see Aaron Ball a lot and he is a very good back but the best I have seen over the last couple years is J. Grimes. He is the real deal.

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I see Aaron Ball a lot and he is a very good back but the best I have seen over the last couple years is J. Grimes. He is the real deal.

that's a tough one... well, i'd put Rodney Landers on that list as he was pretty much a RB. throwing 7 times a game barely makes you a QB. :)

but as RB's/HB's/FB's... i'd put Wofford's Rucker and Romero on the list, but it's hard to judge how talented they are with that scheme... we just looked confused so it's hard to tell how much is talent and how much is scheme-related. but they looked pretty darn good. Ball and Grimes are definitely beastly. i forget App State's RB a few years ago... Kevin Richardson? am i totally off? i remember him being good. Chase Reynolds has got some skills and i hear Trevyn Smith is very talented. would love to have watched Liberty's Rashad Jennings. that SCSU back (name escapes me)..... wait, something Ford. too lazy to look it up. :) i know that's a big list, sue me.

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
WILL Ford, didn't even have to look it up. someone give me a cookie.

smallcollegefbfan
May 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
WILL Ford, didn't even have to look it up. someone give me a cookie.

How about a xthumbsupx? I don't have any cookies. :D

Skjellyfetti
May 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Will Ford was a senior last year, correct?

Was he given an extra year or something?

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Will Ford was a senior last year, correct?

Was he given an extra year or something?

No he is done. Actually had a workout right before the draft because his results were sent around to everyone about a week or two before the draft.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Let me know how Ball compares to this guy, who you'll see at your place in the Hens second game of the season... xcoolx I just hope our O-line can open a hole or two for him!

From Sportsnetwork's Top 10 RB's List:

Kyle Minett, South Dakota State, Senior - Minett's 108.7 rushing yards per game ranks No. 1 among the FCS' returning players. He finished with 1,340 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground. The 5-10, 215-pounder has a hard-nosed north-south style and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He will challenge for the Missouri Valley Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year Award.

McNeese75
May 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Let me know how Ball compares to this guy, who you'll see at your place in the Hens second game of the season... xcoolx I just hope our O-line can open a hole or two for him!

From Sportsnetwork's Top 10 RB's List:

Kyle Minett, South Dakota State, Senior - Minett's 108.7 rushing yards per game ranks No. 1 among the FCS' returning players. He finished with 1,340 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground. The 5-10, 215-pounder has a hard-nosed north-south style and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He will challenge for the Missouri Valley Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year Award.

Minett is a really good RB and a fine young man. He will hurt some people this year. xnodx

JohnStOnge
May 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Minett is a really good RB and a fine young man. He will hurt some people this year. xnodx

I have a question for you, M75. Give me an honest answer. Can you think of a returning FCS running back that you'd want to have instead of Champlain Babin?

It's an interesting question. I honestly can't.

smallcollegefbfan
May 21st, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have a question for you, M75. Give me an honest answer. Can you think of a returning FCS running back that you'd want to have instead of Champlain Babin?

I haven't seen Babin but if he is better than Taiwan Jones at EWU he should be a top 100 draft pick one day. Jones is a great player and I was thinking earlier this week that there probably isn't a back anywhere close to his talent or NFL potential.

JohnStOnge
May 22nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
I haven't seen Babin but if he is better than Taiwan Jones at EWU he should be a top 100 draft pick one day. Jones is a great player and I was thinking earlier this week that there probably isn't a back anywhere close to his talent or NFL potential.

Yeah that's one thing about FCS. When we talk about best this and best that there are always a bunch of people we've never seen. I haven't seen Taiwan Jones either. Another thing is that I wouldn't say Babin is among the best in the subdivision because he hasn't seen enough action yet. It's just a situation where from what I have seen of him I'd have a hard time trading him for anybody in FCS. To some extent it's the known quantity vs. something that could turn out to be really good but only time will tell.

I've been really excited about this guy since he rushed for 191 yards on only 12 carries in a Louisiana high school all star game then followed that up with something like 50 yards on only two carries in the Bayou Bowl all star game pitting Louisiana all stars against Texas All Stars from the Houston/Southeast Texas area. Yeah, there are limits to what one can project from that but on the other hand you usually don't see those kinds of offensive stats from running backs in all star games where offensive lines haven't played together much. Then last year in his first action at McNeese he averaged 6.1 yards per carry and had the team's longest run from scrimmage. Watching him run you can see that he's fast, very strong, and elusive. So it's kind of a situation where I think they may really have something and if it were somehow possible to switch him for any other back in FCS I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger.

JohnStOnge
May 22nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
I found some highlights of Taiwan Jones in this EWU video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDEefnJg12M

He does look very good. Very explosive. Lots of speed.

McNeese75
May 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM

I think the upside on Babin is huge and he should become known throughout the FCS this year. Not sure about Taiwan but I doubt he is head and shoulders above Babin.