PDA

View Full Version : Top FCS Defensive Backs

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Alright guys here are a few DB names to get the ball rolling. Who else is worth keeping an eye on?

CB
Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.
Justin Rogers, Richmond, Sr.
Cortez Allen, The Citadel, Sr.
T.J. Heath, Jacksonville State, Sr.
Trumaine Johnson, Montana, Jr.
Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina, Jr.
Jimmy Pitts, Villanova, Jr.
Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky, Jr.
Asa Jackson, Cal Poly, Jr.
B.W. Webb, William & Mary, Soph.

FS
Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Sr.
Jason House, Southern, Sr.
Mike McElroy, Southern Illinois, Sr.
Collin Zych, Harvard, Sr.
Anthony Walters, Delaware, Sr. (moving from CB)
Andre Banks, Stephen F. Austin, Sr. (moving from CB)

SS
Eugene Clifford, Tennessee State, Sr.
Conrad Kjerstad, South Dakota State, Sr.
James Vercammen, Dayton, Sr.
Matt Estrada, Northern Arizona, Sr.
Anthony Bratton, Delaware, Sr.

Wildcat80
May 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
CB Dino Vasso New Hampshire

All American candidate!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
How about Jarard Cribbs or John Kennedy from Lehigh? Both are 3 year starters and form what has to be one of the top DB tandems in the country.

ngineer
May 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
How about Jarard Cribbs or John Kennedy from Lehigh? Both are 3 year starters and form what has to be one of the top DB tandems in the country.

Absolutely. Cribbs was on an All-American team last year (second team or hc) and Kennedy has made some big time plays.

Eaglesrus
May 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I believe that CB Laron Scott of GA Southern should at least be in the conversation.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I believe that CB Laron Scott of GA Southern should at least be in the conversation.

From what I remember of our game against GA Southern last year, the Eagles secondary probably had plenty of chances to rack up tackles... xrolleyesx

Sorry, had to throw that out there after the horrible beating you put on us during the first yera of our transition.

soconjohn
May 14th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Ryan Steed is the best cover corner in the SoCon...He is going to be better than William Middleton.

McNeese75
May 14th, 2010, 11:55 PM
McNeese has a whole stable of very talented DB's. Look for Soph Malcolm Bronson to make some serious waves this year. xnodx

lionsrking2
May 15th, 2010, 03:14 AM
For Southeastern Louisiana...just about our entire secondary deserves notice...should be among the best, if not the best unit in the Southland Conference in 2010...very deep and talented group across the board.

Tommy Connors, 6-1, 215, Safety, Senior... returns after getting a medical hardship from last year...he definitely belongs on the list.

Rekeem Wilson, 6-0, 195, Safety, Senior...was 1st team All-SLC last year and led the league in INTs and passes defended per game despite not becoming a full-time starter until SLC play...

Curtis Strong, 6-0, 200, Safety, Senior... is the most physically talented of our three Safeties and had it not been for a nagging shoulder injury last year, probably would have pushed for All-SLC honors.

Robert Alford, 6-0, 185, CB, Soph... is our best pro prospect and and has outstanding cover corner skills...has run sub 4.3's hand-held with a 40-inch vertical leap...if he stays healthy, look for him to have a big year in 2010.

Cocky
May 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Does that mean he has ran 4.2s?

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM
For Southeastern Louisiana...just about our entire secondary deserves notice...should be among the best, if not the best unit in the Southland Conference in 2010...very deep and talented group across the board.

Tommy Connors, 6-1, 215, Safety, Senior... returns after getting a medical hardship from last year...he definitely belongs on the list.

Rekeem Wilson, 6-0, 195, Safety, Senior...was 1st team All-SLC last year and led the league in INTs and passes defended per game despite not becoming a full-time starter until SLC play...

Curtis Strong, 6-0, 200, Safety, Senior... is the most physically talented of our three Safeties and had it not been for a nagging shoulder injury last year, probably would have pushed for All-SLC honors.

Robert Alford, 6-0, 185, CB, Soph... is our best pro prospect and and has outstanding cover corner skills...has run sub 4.3's hand-held with a 40-inch vertical leap...if he stays healthy, look for him to have a big year in 2010.

Alford is listed at 5'11 on the website. Is that out of date? Also, 4.3s are pretty fast. Like I have said in the past usually take off .10-.15 from times by coaches and high schools and that is usually what you would get when the NFL times them. If you are saying 4.28-4.32 range on a player then you can bet the NFL will probably have him in the 4.38-4.42 range, maybe even 4.43-4.47 range. That is still pretty fast though. It will be interesting to see what Alford does because I have not heard of him.

Eaglesrus
May 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
From what I remember of our game against GA Southern last year, the Eagles secondary probably had plenty of chances to rack up tackles... xrolleyesx

Sorry, had to throw that out there after the horrible beating you put on us during the first yera of our transition.

I grant you that Laron, like pretty much every other Eagle, didn't have a great game against SD State. It was only his second game at the FCS level, however. Just to get an idea how off-base I might be I did a quick comparison of his '09 status against someone else on SCFBF's list. I chose Cortez Allen of The Citadel since a malority of their games were against the same opponents. I was amazed at how close it was; both had 57 tackles, both had 3 interceptions and Laron had 8 pass breakups to Allen's 5. I know it's a miniscule sample, but Allen's on the list, so I stand by my opinion that Laron should be in the discussion.

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I grant you that Laron, like pretty much every other Eagle, didn't have a great game against SD State. It was only his second game at the FCS level, however. Just to get an idea how off-base I might be I did a quick comparison of his '09 status against someone else on SCFBF's list. I chose Cortez Allen of The Citadel since a malority of their games were against the same opponents. I was amazed at how close it was; both had 57 tackles, both had 3 interceptions and Laron had 8 pass breakups to Allen's 5. I know it's a miniscule sample, but Allen's on the list, so I stand by my opinion that Laron should be in the discussion.

Laron is a player I had on my list as a possible addition with a solid year. One thing to remember with corners is that stats are not very important, especially if you had big numbers early in your career but they taper off. QBs can dictate a corner's numbers by not throwing to the receiver he guards or throwing to the other side of the field. If Korey Lindsey or Mark LeGree have a decrease in numbers you can probably guess it is because their reputations have QBs throwing away from them. Allen does not quite fall into that category but he is a big, long, fast, and athletic corner with the speed to make QBs pay if they test him and that is why I listed him. He is also a prime NFL prospect.

lionsrking2
May 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Alford is listed at 5'11 on the website. Is that out of date? Also, 4.3s are pretty fast. Like I have said in the past usually take off .10-.15 from times by coaches and high schools and that is usually what you would get when the NFL times them. If you are saying 4.28-4.32 range on a player then you can bet the NFL will probably have him in the 4.38-4.42 range, maybe even 4.43-4.47 range. That is still pretty fast though. It will be interesting to see what Alford does because I have not heard of him.

Yes, the ht/wt listing on website is old...he may be a shade under 6-0 and a little heavier than 185...he was much more physical-looking this spring than he was in fall...as for 40-time, he ran back-to-back 4.25s on our timing day last spring...you can adjust however you wish but bottom line is he can fly and is a hell of an athlete...did get beat for a TD against Ole Miss, but played very
well in that game and had no problem running with Dexter McCluster...had an INT in that game but was called for a questionable PI on the play and didn't stand.

You'll be hearing a lot about him the next three years as long as he stays healthy and elgible...had 2 INTs in our recent spring game.

JackFan
May 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
this list got it right, Matt Estrada is tough as nails, this U of A WR found out the hard way...http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/jeffro5122/n167169797242_4263.jpg

Eaglesrus
May 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Laron is a player I had on my list as a possible addition with a solid year. One thing to remember with corners is that stats are not very important, especially if you had big numbers early in your career but they taper off. QBs can dictate a corner's numbers by not throwing to the receiver he guards or throwing to the other side of the field. If Korey Lindsey or Mark LeGree have a decrease in numbers you can probably guess it is because their reputations have QBs throwing away from them. Allen does not quite fall into that category but he is a big, long, fast, and athletic corner with the speed to make QBs pay if they test him and that is why I listed him. He is also a prime NFL prospect.

Good points and having watched Laron as a soph. I'm pretty confident that you'll see the kind of thing you're talking about with Lindsey and Legree from Scott in his junior and senior years. It was very clear to see his confidence growing as the year went along and he's one of those kids that just seems to always be in position to make a play.

SpidersSportsEditor
May 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Tremayne Graham from Richmond will be the best DB on the team (better than Justin Rogers) this year IMO. He's as fast as Rogers, and significantly stronger. He was the only guy who had any success covering Hudgins from Elon during the playoff game last year. He also returns kickoffs. Going to be a redshirt junior, would not be surprised to see him on All-America team and I expect to see him playing on Sundays in a few years.

Model Citizen
May 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Vercammen functions as a linebacker, playing the "Flyer" position.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Tremayne Graham from Richmond will be the best DB on the team (better than Justin Rogers) this year IMO. He's as fast as Rogers, and significantly stronger. He was the only guy who had any success covering Hudgins from Elon during the playoff game last year. He also returns kickoffs. Going to be a redshirt junior, would not be surprised to see him on All-America team and I expect to see him playing on Sundays in a few years.

Very astute observations, my friend.

lionsrking2
May 16th, 2010, 04:17 AM

Here are couple of video of clips of Robert Alford...

2009 Freshman Clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSbZG4PW-I

High School Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvZpj2OZfE

bleedblue
May 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Appears Anthony Waters is moving back to CB where he should be one of the ten bestin FCS. He does not tackle well enough to be a good safety much less one of the best.

Ronbo
May 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Alright guys here are a few DB names to get the ball rolling. Who else is worth keeping an eye on?

CB

FS
Jason House, Southern, Sr.
Mike McElroy, Southern Illinois, Sr.

SS

Safety Eric Stoll. 2nd leading tackler on the 2009 15-1 Griz should be considered.xconfusedx The guy is a stud and has a nose to the football.

mikebigg
May 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM

CB

FS
Jason House, Southern, Sr. Mike McElroy, Southern Illinois, Sr.

SS

Good player... covers the secondary well and has super hands. Might move to corner or nickel guy in the NFL. Personally, I think he'd be an excellent corner.

Green26
May 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with Ronbo, that Stoll of Montana deserves to be on the list as a safety. Can play either safety. Best known defender returning for Montana. Yes, I know Tru Johnson is a terrific player, and has big potential. Johnson also played some receiver in spring ball.