PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele FCS Coverage

Gringer1
May 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if this was still going to happen and if anybody had any information on it. I would love to see this happen and certainly hope I can buy one this year.

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/July09/DBJuly8.html

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Another question. Will he have Hofstra in his Top 10 again this year? xchinscratchx

Keeper
May 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Based on his website at present with expanded FCS data & features
look for another great output combined with ACC-Big East issue.
Should know better in about 3 weeks.

ThompsonThe
May 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Sounds like he is putting in just enough to give us a little taste, just to sell more magazines. Nothing wrong with that. Should have an FCS magazine with FBS covered some in the back.

ngineer
May 13th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Sounds like he is putting in just enough to give us a little taste, just to sell more magazines. Nothing wrong with that. Should have an FCS magazine with FBS covered some in the back.

xnodx

F'N Hawks
May 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
He stated last year that he ultimately wants to produce an FCS-only issue but needs to know there is enough interest to make it worth it.

I would suggest that people email him asking about it and show interest. Then, get out and buy one. It is well worth it!

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I was wondering if this was still going to happen and if anybody had any information on it. I would love to see this happen and certainly hope I can buy one this year.

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/July09/DBJuly8.html

Yes it will happen. They are going to start on it tomorrow because their FBS national magazine deadline is tonight at midnight.

All FCS fans need to purchase their FBS national magazine because there are some surprises in the player ratings that FCS fans will love! There is even a surprise or two for D2 and D3 fans. I have gotten a peak at the player ratings and there are some FCS players rated pretty high in there. It seems like they are really pushing to help out the FCS. Now we need to help them out by purchasing a copy of the national magazine and the one with the FCS preview in it.

jmufan999
May 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
yeah, or maybe they're just conning us in order to keep getting us to buy the FBS magazine (i.e.- dangling the carrot for years on end).

i'll believe the "FCS only" magazine when i see it. just not enough national support, sorry. if it happens, great. i just don't see it.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
yeah, or maybe they're just conning us in order to keep getting us to buy the FBS magazine (i.e.- dangling the carrot for years on end).

i'll believe the "FCS only" magazine when i see it. just not enough national support, sorry. if it happens, great. i just don't see it.

It is not a con. I talked to someone in their office and I firmly believe they plan on doing it. They are also going to have several FCS players rated in the national magazine this year so it is definitely worth checking it. I was given a sneak peak and I think FCS fans will like it!

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Here is a portion of letter from Phil in his national magazine this year.

This year I have taken the next step with a FULL PAGE on EVERY FCS team! It is in my SEC/ACC/Big East preview which is 324 pages (same meaty size as the one you have in your hands) and is available at newstands throughout the South and East. You can also order thru our offices and it is just $8.95. You will become an instant expert on EVERY FCS team and there are 73 FCS teams that face FBS teams this year for a total of 88 matchups of FBS vs FCS foes (15 FCS teams play an FBS school twice).
I would love to give the FCS its own complete magazine. As always, it will happen if the demand is high enough so you, the reader, holds the key. If you are passionate about FCS football then head out to any newsstand in the South and East and pick one up this year.
If you are not on the East Coast you can order by calling our office at 1-866-918-7711. This year if you purchase the magazine thru our offices for the $8.95 plus shipping I will throw in your choice of either the Big Ten/Big 12 regional or the Western Regional for FREE!
Just make sure you mention page 11 of my magazine. Finally FCS fans have increased coverage and if the reader speaks out it could just be the tip of the iceberg!

Gringer1
May 13th, 2010, 09:51 PM
So when does the issue with the FCS come out?

ThompsonThe
May 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
That's a pretty good deal.

Tribeman24
May 13th, 2010, 11:35 PM
just ordered.... hope it is good. At least will be good for the 5 hr tailgates! Definitely a market for us FCS only fans.... wouldn't change anything for the world.

Keeper
May 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM

You can probably order one now, but look for it on the newsstands July

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Early to mid July.

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I have seen the position ratings pages and there are a lot of FCS players rated. They have Ben Ijalana, Korey Lindsey, Mark LeGree, Christian Anthony, Pat Devlin, Justin Rogers, DJ Smith, David Arkin, Johnny Culbreath, and more rated.

jmufan999
May 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
ok SmallCollegeFBFan, i'm holding you to that! :)

i hope you're right. and if so, i do hope everyone buys at least 2 copies, more if you could afford it (or could convince another friend to buy one).

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM

i hope you're right. and if so, i do hope everyone buys at least 2 copies, more if you could afford it (or could convince another friend to buy one).

I talked to them and trust me they know that there is very little FCS coverage on the net and in the newsstands and those FCS media outlets are not near as in depth as Steele is. They do a phenomenal job of in terms of compiling information. Sure there are some weird picks in their top 25 every year (usually 1-2) but they also hit on some others that most don't. You can hold me to this!

My only problem is that we have some folks out there who are haters of Steele and will try to keep them from selling what they should just to help themselves. Those who do that are very selfish and I hope that all of FCS gets behind them.

Go pick up a National Magazine and tell me it would not be great to have a copy like that for just FCS. I am helping push this because I use his mag as my guide for the FBS and I know his FCS magazine would be great as well! :D

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
You should, he works for Steele again this year. He has a vested interest in it.

Gringer1
May 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I really like that he's doing enhanced FCS coverage, but I do have one reservation. The College Sporting News previews of teams come in a highly journalistic style while Phil Steele tends to list a lot of stats with less of an article about the teams. I just like having more words and less numbers.

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I really like that he's doing enhanced FCS coverage, but I do have one reservation. The College Sporting News previews of teams come in a highly journalistic style while Phil Steele tends to list a lot of stats with less of an article about the teams. I just like having more words and less numbers.

I saw a sample page PDF with the Villanova write-up and they are more much in depth to go with all the facts and figures. There is one full page per team with a good size paragraph on each position, coaches, a forecast plus the last 6 years results, individual stats, team stats, 2010 schedule, and more.

My buddy in their office gave me a sneak peak and I must say that it is going to be even better this year. I felt the same way you did that there needed to be more detail on the players and it appears they are doing that.

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
From the positional ratings I saw here are where some of the FCS players are rated. I must say that I would have a couple of these guys a little higher but this is good to see. None of the other major outlets even give FCS any respect so this is a good thing.

Korey Lindsey- #32 CB
Justin Rogers- #72 CB
Mark LeGree- #13 FS
DJ Smith- #61 OLB
Kenrick Ellis- #46 DT
Christian Anthony- #30 DE
Ben Ijalana- #29 OT
Johnny Culbreath- #59 OT
David Arkin- #40 OG
Taiwan Jones- #57 RB
Pat Devlin- #21 QB
Aaron Corp- #58 QB

Whether you agree or disagree, and I must say I do disagree with a few of these ratings, it is just great to see an outlet show respect. For those who don't know Phil Steele has a lot of say in many of these national awards such as the Nagurski, Outland, etc. awards and it comes as no surprise that we saw FCS players on more watchlists last year as he is giving the division respect.

Syntax Error
May 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
None of the other major outlets even give FCS any respectSee http://www.collegesportingnews.com which gives FCS more pub than any outlet.
It would be awesome to somehow see Phil Steele and CSN come together to produce one massive preview at some point. Anyone at CSN ever thought about approaching them about combining their efforts to financially support one huge FCS only magazine?Why doesn't "Steele" approach CSN since CSN has been promoting FCS so much longer and produces the only FCS-only magazine each year?

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2010, 07:00 AM
See http://www.collegesportingnews.com which gives FCS more pub than any outlet.Why doesn't "Steele" approach CSN since CSN has been promoting FCS so much longer and produces the only FCS-only magazine each year?

Good question. With the economy being so tough right now I'm sure they don't have room in the budget to bring in outside writers. That would be my best guess. I kind of like having two different magazines to read each year though. It gives two opinions on players and team outlooks and that is a refreshing thing to have.

I will have to email my buddy though and ask him. I already emailed recommending that they perhaps do positional rankings, unit rankings, and maybe include a depth chart of each FCS school like they do with the FBS schools.

Houndawg
May 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
You should, he works for Steele again this year. He has a vested interest in it.

a little snippy are we?xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
May 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM
a little snippy are we?xeyebrowxNot snippy but there are rules for commercial posting at AGS in case you didn't know...

H O U N D A W G.

danefan
May 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Not snippy but there are rules for commercial posting at AGS in case you didn't know...

H O U N D A W G.

Hmm....CSN exempt from those rules?

The more FCS coverage the better. I'll be sure to take some pictures of Phil Steele's magazine and post them here for you.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hmm....CSN exempt from those rules?

The more FCS coverage the better. I'll be sure to take some pictures of Phil Steele's magazine and post them here for you.xthumbsupx

There are some reasons why I don't see the two merging their previews into one and to be honest I like the fact there are two. I mean the more I think about it the more it makes sense to have two separate previews to give us readers more to look at and two different opinions. Plus, with CSN being the FCS leader and having much more resources than Phil Steele I really think the inexperience of Steele would only bring down the quality of CSN's work. They are better off without combining with Phil Steele to be honest.

Syntax Error
May 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hmm....CSN exempt from those rules?Hmmm... what would make CSN different than others in this respect? Maybe CSN has permission? Maybe CSN and AGS cross-advertise? That would make sense. I do remember the full page AGS ads in the CSN Yearbook and I noticed the link at the bottom of this page to CSN. Not to mention that CSN runs the AGS poll. What do you think danefan? xchinscratchx

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmm... what would make CSN different than others in this respect? Maybe CSN has permission? Maybe CSN and AGS cross-advertise? That would make sense. I do remember the full page AGS ads in the CSN Yearbook and I noticed the link at the bottom of this page to CSN. Not to mention that CSN runs the AGS poll. What do you think danefan? xchinscratchx

Can other FCS blogs/sites/etc post stuff here? You know, the more the merrier?

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Can other FCS blogs/sites/etc post stuff here? You know, the more the merrier?

I'm pretty sure the new AGS Owner, and I know I do, feels that the more the merrier for sure. xthumbsupx If someone has a blog or website that is devoted to a FCS team or conference or FCS in general I know I would like to check it out. Please post them. If I find any good blogs that I have not seen posted on here I will post as well.