PDA

View Full Version : IF Rutgers leaves, does Big East ask a 1aa team in..

Fordham83
May 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Connecticut
USF
Louisville
Syracuse

If Rutgers bolts for Big ten.. does Big East invite 1 or 2 schools to join the Big East conference..

Temple, improved ftbl program - good hoops but does bad blood linger for being kicked out.
UMass good hoops, decent ftbl, where could they play home 1A games?..
Fordham, recently moved to scholy ftbl, play home games at new Jet
-Giant stadium or Yankee Stadium. has a NY presence..
Nova - in BE already, finally makes the move up to 1A.. but then really couldnt share stadium with Temple..
Delaware good ftbl, draws fairly good attendance. decent hoops..
Holy Cross good hoops, chance to get back to high level ftbl..

im sure there are other schools.. and of course the BE would have to allow a ramp up in scholly's and facilities.. but i thought these may be the likeliest choices..

what schools u thinkk would get a look if BE was sniffing to add a school or two for ftbl??

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM
If it happens - and I'm still not convinced it will - they'd probably tap Temple first. You also are missing Army and Navy, whom I think would be the Big East's "dream candidates" in football. After that is when the Villanova, Delaware, UMass and Fordham's (yes, in that order) would be considered.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Temple or Delaware.

bostonspider
May 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Why wouldn't they ask a team like Memphis first?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Why wouldn't they ask a team like Memphis first?

Fair point. Memphis, UCF or East Carolina would all be on that short list.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Even if the Big Ten just takes Rutgers from the BE and no one else, the SEC could respond by taking ACC teams and the ACC would in turn take BE teams.

I think BE football is looking pretty dead right now.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Notwithstanding regional compatibility and tradition, I don't see Army or Navy in Big East FB.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
None of these. The conference wants no I-AA schools and the I-A schools have an animus against reinviting Temple.

Schools in the mix include Central Florida, Memphis, or East Carolina.

jmufan999
May 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
None of these. The conference wants no I-AA schools and the I-A schools have an animus against reinviting Temple.

Schools in the mix include Central Florida, Memphis, or East Carolina.

agreed: i was going to say ECU also. they were rumored to be part of a BE expansion long before this Big 10 stuff went down. also agree with UCF and Memphis.

nice post.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Connecticut
USF
Louisville
Syracuse

If Rutgers bolts for Big ten.. does Big East invite 1 or 2 schools to join the Big East conference..

Temple, improved ftbl program - good hoops but does bad blood linger for being kicked out.
UMass good hoops, decent ftbl, where could they play home 1A games?..
Fordham, recently moved to scholy ftbl, play home games at new Jet
-Giant stadium or Yankee Stadium. has a NY presence..
Nova - in BE already, finally makes the move up to 1A.. but then really couldnt share stadium with Temple..
Delaware good ftbl, draws fairly good attendance. decent hoops..
Holy Cross good hoops, chance to get back to high level ftbl..

im sure there are other schools.. and of course the BE would have to allow a ramp up in scholly's and facilities.. but i thought these may be the likeliest choices..

what schools u thinkk would get a look if BE was sniffing to add a school or two for ftbl??

To answer your question, the answer is "no", not a chance.

There is a better chance that the Big East breaks up then to invite an FCS team. The goal would be to retain the BCS autobid, and the only way to do that (and remain a conference) would be to remain strong. This is why UCF has made it to the top of the candidate list, surpassing Memphis. Of course both schools and ECU remain in the candidate pool.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
If it happens - and I'm still not convinced it will - they'd probably tap Temple first. You also are missing Army and Navy, whom I think would be the Big East's "dream candidates" in football. After that is when the Villanova, Delaware, UMass and Fordham's (yes, in that order) would be considered.

* Army and Navy have and continue to reject Big East overtures including a split schedule arrangement with each school playing 4 conference games each.

* There are so many schools that would be on the Big East radar before any FCS school. I'd go as far as saying that there is a 0% chance that the Big East would EVER consider an FCS team if they lost members and needed replacements. Doing so would be forfeiting their BCS autobid and CHOOSING to have a 3rd tier conference instead of one just on the cusp of the BCS.

Really, there is not much of a scenario in which the Big East would need more than 3 candidates, but they remain:
UCF, Memphis, ECU, Houston, TCU

If for some reason those schools all found better situations, you'd still see them looking at other CUSA schools like Marshall, Tulane, UAB, USM, SMU, Tulsa as well as MAC schools like Buffalo, Ohio, etc, and Sunbelt schools like FAU, FIU, etc.

Really, you'd have a good 10-15 FBS teams be considered before any FCS teams. Villanova as an upgrade could happen for stability if we're talking an 11-12 team Big East football conference.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Buffalo makes some sense....

carney2
May 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM

They didn't throw Temple out of the Big Least a few years ago just to turn around and invite them back in. Talk about the ultimate surrender.

bison137
May 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Top two choices would be Memphis and UCF.

ngineer
May 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think if Rutgers go, the all-out raid on the BE begins. However, it could be more than Rutgers. Big 11, could go to 14 with Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse. ACC then swoops in for some of the remaining. Half the schools mentioned as replacements have no where near the facilities to go to that level..and the money needed to do that, in this economy...speaks about priorities being out of whack.

If only Rutgers goes, then I agree with UCF, ECU or Memphis. No way will the BE lower itself to taking in stepchildren.

Big Al
May 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Another thought:

The Big East willingly surrenders it's FB schools so it can re-focus on hoops. If the Big Ten poaches a few and the ACC starts circling, I could see them folding up the tent and going back home.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think Temple would fit better in a conference with Villanova/Georgetown in a "non-BCS" Big East with all the football teams out of the way. They have a chance to be invited to a BCS Big East football conference, but I agree that would be unlikely.

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Reviving an old thread, the latest news that I have heard is that if there is a shake-up, the BE wants Army, Navy and Villanova on their very short list. They do not want Memphis. The BE would put an incentive package together for Villanova to transition that would make the school have to accept it. Then the only question would be where to play. I would bet it would be Franklin Field. And of course there is the lack of fan issue, the school would have to do a better job promoting the program.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Reviving an old thread, the latest news that I have heard is that if there is a shake-up, the BE wants Army, Navy and Villanova on their very short list. They do not want Memphis. The BE would put an incentive package together for Villanova to transition that would make the school have to accept it. Then the only question would be where to play. I would bet it would be Franklin Field. And of course there is the lack of fan issue, the school would have to do a better job promoting the program.

Interesting.

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
So the Big East wouldn't seriously look to add App. State & ECU? Wouldn't these teams bring in the Charlotte, GSO, & Raleigh/Durham markets into the Big East?

Skip Holtz is a excellent recruiter and App. State has the infrastructure to compete and a commitment to Football.

Idk, it could work.

And 'Nova only spends about $4 million on football a year. Will their Administrators be willing to add resources to compete at the BCS level?

Jackman
June 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Reviving an old thread, the latest news that I have heard is that if there is a shake-up, the BE wants Army, Navy and Villanova on their very short list. They do not want Memphis. The BE would put an incentive package together for Villanova to transition that would make the school have to accept it.

This sounds like something the Big East non-football members would propose.

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
The BE wants national names. Army and Navy are no-brainers. Villanova is a national name because of basketball and is popular on the West Coast, or so the story goes. ECU is a possibility, but I'm not sure ASU fits the BE bill. The BE would give some serious money to Villanova to help with the facility upgrades, the biggest problem to all this would be a stadium though.

Syntax Error
June 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
What the heck is 1aa? Looks like a putdown of the ancient FCS label.

The conference wants no I-AA schools and the I-A schools

That'll be easy since there are zero I-A or I-AA schools.

xrulesx xcoffeex

bleedblue
June 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The BE wants national names. Army and Navy are no-brainers. Villanova is a national name because of basketball and is popular on the West Coast, or so the story goes. ECU is a possibility, but I'm not sure ASU fits the BE bill. The BE would give some serious money to Villanova to help with the facility upgrades, the biggest problem to all this would be a stadium though.

Stadium and attendance may go hand in hand but the bigger of the two issues for nova would be the 3k to 4k fans that show up each home game. I would guess at times the visiting team is half of your total on any given saturday. Sure put nova in the link but it would look pathetic with tons of seats available. Nova students and alum, for the most part, just don't care to go out to support their football team and that will hurt their chances at FCS. But good luck with that.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
If the Big East has resigned their fate to Army, Navy and Villanova, they are already sunk.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
What the heck is 1aa? Looks like a putdown of the ancient FCS label.

That'll be easy since there are zero I-A or I-AA schools.

xrulesx xcoffeex

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to add or do you just find it witty to respond to month-old posts like this?

You are only amusing yourself.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Nova students and alum, for the most part, just don't care to go out to support their football team and that will hurt their chances at FCS. But good luck with that.

But could that be because they play in FCS, and not BCS-FBS, like their conference mates?

I really believe this is could a chicken before the egg, or egg before the chicken problem.

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Stadium and attendance may go hand in hand but the bigger of the two issues for nova would be the 3k to 4k fans that show up each home game. I would guess at times the visiting team is half of your total on any given saturday. Sure put nova in the link but it would look pathetic with tons of seats available. Nova students and alum, for the most part, just don't care to go out to support their football team and that will hurt their chances at FCS. But good luck with that.

You must have failed to read my post about the need for better promotion of football and lack of fan support earlier in the thread. Always a UD fan to point out Nova's lack of attendance, yes, it is a fact, get over it, Nova can still win a NC without it.

There are many Nova alums who specifically don't go to games because it is FCS. They don't get excited by playing the teams in the CAA and wish it was FBS. I'm not saying Nova would draw huge numbers if it moved up, but they would certainly draw better with alums, the surrounding area football fans, and most students if they were on TV regularly and playing in the BE.

GannonFan
June 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
You must have failed to read my post about the need for better promotion of football and lack of fan support earlier in the thread. Always a UD fan to point out Nova's lack of attendance, yes, it is a fact, get over it, Nova can still win a NC without it.

There are many Nova alums who specifically don't go to games because it is FCS. They don't get excited by playing the teams in the CAA and wish it was FBS. I'm not saying Nova would draw huge numbers if it moved up, but they would certainly draw better with alums, the surrounding area football fans, and most students if they were on TV regularly and playing in the BE.

But what Big East would they be playing in, though? If the Big East is raided and loses the likes of 'Cuse and Rutgers and Pitt, among others, is it going to be a draw? Heck, the Big East is likely to lose BCS status if that happens and then it's really no better of a football conference than the MAC or CUSA. Is that going to draw people to Penn's campus to play at Franklin Field? Like the Richmond poster said, if the Big East is reduced to inviting a triumverate of Navy, Army, and nova for football then it's a doomed football conference anyway.

AppMan
June 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Have a good friend who is the Sr associate AD at a Big East school. He isn't convinced there will be a Big east in two years.

FargoBison
June 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Have a good friend who is the Sr associate AD at a Big East school. He isn't convinced there will be a Big east in two years.

I think it will live on, but it might just be a conference with all sports except football.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
But what Big East would they be playing in, though? If the Big East is raided and loses the likes of 'Cuse and Rutgers and Pitt, among others, is it going to be a draw? Heck, the Big East is likely to lose BCS status if that happens and then it's really no better of a football conference than the MAC or CUSA. Is that going to draw people to Penn's campus to play at Franklin Field? Like the Richmond poster said, if the Big East is reduced to inviting a triumverate of Navy, Army, and nova for football then it's a doomed football conference anyway.

The Big East could EASILY lose Rutgers and survive. They would swallow their pride, call Temple and call it an afternoon. If anything, you'd improve the basketball profile.

But I don't think any of those three are going to move, anyway. There hasn't been a peep about any team leaving the Big East for about a month now, which in this hypersensitive media world these days counts as a year.

And it's moot if Notre Dame remains an independent, and every indication is that this will remain the case. Army and Navy won't really have any reason to change from their independent status if Notre Dame remains independent too. Only if ND finds a dance partner would A&N be forced into some conference - and if that's the case, the Big East is the most logical home for them.

GannonFan
June 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The Big East could EASILY lose Rutgers and survive. They would swallow their pride, call Temple and call it an afternoon. If anything, you'd improve the basketball profile.

But I don't think any of those three are going to move, anyway. There hasn't been a peep about any team leaving the Big East for about a month now, which in this hypersensitive media world these days counts as a year.

And it's moot if Notre Dame remains an independent, and every indication is that this will remain the case. Army and Navy won't really have any reason to change from their independent status if Notre Dame remains independent too. Only if ND finds a dance partner would A&N be forced into some conference - and if that's the case, the Big East is the most logical home for them.

But all that changes once the other dominoes fall. If Notre Dame stays independent, it's likely the Big 10 adds more rather than less teams. If Nebraska truly is going, that pretty much spells the end of the Big 12 and then a lot of teams start moving. And there are several Big East teams that become ACC targets if all this come to pass. Sure there hasn't been news lately, but that's because the initial dominoes look to start elsewhere. But where it starts will matter little if at the end of it, the Big East is still gutted between two other conferences.

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Where does that leave Georgetown and Villanova...Ohio Valley? Big South? xlolx

Rumors of the Big East's demise are clearly exaggerated.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The Big East may not die, but it will for football ... and you're going to be looking for some new dance partners in hoops and other sports.

I hope Richmond is on your short list of people to call. I'm sure Xavier and Dayton will be.

Go...gate
June 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM

But can Villanova afford to go to FBS football in these economic conditions? Granted, they can play home games at Lincoln Financial Field, but...

Go...gate
June 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Right now, it seems that the Big Ten may no longer have Rutgers in its plans - not if it can get Nebraska, Missouri and Notre Dame.

bison137
June 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Fair point. Memphis, UCF or East Carolina would all be on that short list.

They would be the first three choices. Way ahead of any FCS team. No question.

bluehenbillk
June 10th, 2010, 07:07 AM
2 points:

#1- The Big East, as much as I'd LOVE to see them invite UD, most likely won't invite a FCS team, if they're still even around.

#2- Temple & the Big East, no, never, why does this even get brought up, it's dead & buried.

Wmbgskip
June 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I find it interesting that no one seems to be seriously considering the possibility that the ACC could be on much shakier ground than the Big East in all this mess.

Considering -
- Big 10 aims for 14-16 teams, which could involve two-three Big East teams
- SEC goes to 16, which could involve three-four ACC teams
- It comes down to which conference has the quickest first step - Big East, if they're serious about remaining a power player, could target BC, Maryland, maybe even VT (if SEC doesn't first) - all of a sudden, the ACC is looking at losing up to seven teams and having a footprint that only has one, maybe two teams outside of North Carolina.

wr70beh
June 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I find it interesting that no one seems to be seriously considering the possibility that the ACC could be on much shakier ground than the Big East in all this mess.

Considering -
- Big 10 aims for 14-16 teams, which could involve two-three Big East teams
- SEC goes to 16, which could involve three-four ACC teams
- It comes down to which conference has the quickest first step - Big East, if they're serious about remaining a power player, could target BC, Maryland, maybe even VT (if SEC doesn't first) - all of a sudden, the ACC is looking at losing up to seven teams and having a footprint that only has one, maybe two teams outside of North Carolina.

BC and VT just left the Big East. I think Hokieland is extremely happy playing in the ACC. I can't see them bolting back to the Big East. BC seems like they are on an island, though.

One thing that the ACC has over the Big East is the TV contract that they signed recently with ESPN. I think that is worth more money than the Big East contract.

Someone posted on here that Maryland might be an option for an expanded Big Ten.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
IF the rumored Big XII breakup is indeed going to happen, I happen to think the Big East will go after BOTH Kansas and Missouri. As senseless as conference expansion is, these two teams make too much sense for the Big East for them to pass it up.

http://tinyurl.com/28qtm76

The huge caveat is that Nebraska does indeed join the Big Ten, something that we don't know for sure yet.

Catsfan2
June 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Philadelphia has little (no) appetite for college FB. It would have to be Temple OR Nova to the BE, not both. Since they will try to move fast, Temple playing at the Linc, has to get the first look.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Do you ever have anything worthwhile to add

Sorry you do not like the facts and do not value them as worthwhile. Carry on and attack the messenger. "1aa" never existed and is an insult to those of us who TRULY VALUE the highest level of NCAA championship football. Notice the thread correctly spells BIG EAST and not the FCS? Lesson over. xcoffeex

As for what Rutgers does... who knew they had a football team? xlolx

GannonFan
June 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry you do not like the facts and do not value them as worthwhile. Carry on and attack the messenger. "1aa" never existed and is an insult to those of us who TRULY VALUE the highest level of NCAA championship football. Notice the thread correctly spells BIG EAST and not the FCS? Lesson over. xcoffeex

Eh, I truly value FCS football and I wasn't worked up over it - I knew what he meant. xpeacex

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Eh, I truly value FCS football and I wasn't worked up over it - I knew what he meant. xpeacex

he didn't personally attack you for no reason. Lots of potshotters out there so I do feel the need to help them understand nomenclature.

Go...gate
June 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM

SE, it did exist in the eyes of the NCAA beginning in 1978.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
SE, it did exist in the eyes of the NCAA beginning in 1978.

I-AA existed, 1aa never did. :)

Go...gate
June 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I-AA existed, 1aa never did. :)

Fair enough. I thought I still had some of my memory. :)xchinscratchx

superman7515
June 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Some of the news article I've been reading say that with Nebraska in, the top 3 on the "wanted" list remaining for the Big Ten are Notre Dame **still**, Rutgers, and Maryland.