PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MVFC Predictions

Redbird Ray
May 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have not really done much research on what teams have gained or lost, but I'm bored so here we go:

1) Southern Illinois - Best team in the Valley until proven otherwise.
2) South Dakota State - I honestly don't know much about the bunnies other than the fact that they are a pain in the ass every year.
3) Illinois State - Total homer pick, but I believe at the end of last season, we were playing as tough as anyone in the Valley. 2nd year under Spack.
4) Youngstown State - Supposedly they had a lot of injuries least year and if healthy this year, they will rebound. Ehh, we'll see.
5) Missouri State - Have made baby steps each year with Allen. Brought in the Valley's 2nd highest rated recruiting class this year.
6) Northern Iowa - Lose a lot, but it's hard for me to imagine the kitties finishing even this low. Mark Farley can flat out coach.
7) North Dakota State - I have no reason to put you any higher right now. But, as I've stated in many other posts, I hope the Bison have great success.
8) Indiana State - Not pathetic anymore. Kind of soft non-conf could pave the way to a mediocre looking record, which would be good.
9) Western Illinois - Program is in a world of hurt right now.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Fair enough.

I would still rate SIU and UNI at the top. They're the programs to knock off in the Valley.

achrist70
May 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
If UNI can put together a decent pair of lines they could do big things they have some of the best skilled positions in the conference.

ISU red and Y'State are the teams that intrigue me.

MSUBear42
May 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM
1) SIU
2) SDSU
3) IlSU
4) MSU
t5) UNI
t5) YSU
7) NDSU
8) WIU
9) ISU

I'm not worried one bit about MSU's defense this year, it's the boring offensive playcalling I'm worried about. That and replacing All-everything TE Harbor. Although at spring practices his replacement (JC Transfer Matt Thayer) looks great.

UNIFanSince1983
May 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
It is tough for me to see us picked that low. I really have a hard time seeing us finish that low, but with all we need to replace it is very possible. I will admit I don't know very much about what other teams have returning. I do know YSU had a lot returning and had some injuries, I know SDSU still has Minnett, and SIU is always tough. I know Ill State was playing well at the end of the year, MSU appeared to be getting better under Allen, and NDSU will be a physical beast of a team. I think In State should be improving, while who knows about WIU. Barr should be back but they didn't have much else so they probably won't be real good. Here goes a wild prediction that could go very wrong.

1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. ISUr
4. UNI
5. MSU
6. NDSU
7. YSU
8. ISUb
9. WIU

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
It is tough for me to see us picked that low. I really have a hard time seeing us finish that low, but with all we need to replace it is very possible. I will admit I don't know very much about what other teams have returning. I do know YSU had a lot returning and had some injuries, I know SDSU still has Minnett, and SIU is always tough. I know Ill State was playing well at the end of the year, MSU appeared to be getting better under Allen, and NDSU will be a physical beast of a team. I think In State should be improving, while who knows about WIU. Barr should be back but they didn't have much else so they probably won't be real good. Here goes a wild prediction that could go very wrong.

1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. ISUr
4. UNI
5. MSU
6. NDSU
7. YSU
8. ISUb
9. WIU

Your assessment is pretty fair, except for SDSU at #2. At the bottom, I think WIU has a lot of off-the-field baggage to deal with, while InSU is improving. At the top, I see yet another conference championship for SIU in their brand-new stadium.

I would put SDSU at #4 for now with SIU, UNI and IlSU at top-3. Mo State and NDSU at the middle of the pack.

Houndawg
May 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
SIU lost a ton of starters. This is the season we see if Lennon can recruit. Two good QBs return, got a xfer RB from Pitt who is a physical specimen, but we'll obviuosly miss Karim's 4.37. Defense won't be as good as last years but we've got solid DBs returning including All-America CB Korey Lindsey who probably won't have the numbers this year because smart teams will throw somewhere else.

1) ISU
2) SDSU
3) SIU
4) UNI
5) MSU
6) YSU
7) NDSU
8) ISU
9) WIU

Teams 4-7 could finish in any order

FargoBison
May 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
1. SIU(The class of the league right now in my opinion, Lennon is the man)
2. Ill St(Improved steadily last season and I think it will continue)
3. UNI(I wouldn't be surprised if they won the league or finished sixth, but in my opinion the odds say they should at least be this high).
4. NDSU(Offensively the team should be very good, defense will determine where the Bison ultimately end up)
5. SDSU(I think they take a step back, they will be solid defensively but their schedule might kill them)
6.YSU(New coach always takes some adjusting)
7.MSU(I don't really know what to think of the Bears to tell you the truth)
8. Indiana State(improving but still a long ways to go)
9. WIU(Program in ruins)

Honestly I think you can shuffle 4-7 anyway you wish, all of those teams have some bright spots to go along with some challenges. Maybe one could rise to the top three if everything comes together.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 13th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I noticed that everyone seemed to be throwing out their predictions without much to back them up, so I decided to do some research to help make the forecasting a little easier... Below, I have compiled this list of key players lost & returning. This list is based on the individual leaders in the main statistical categories and last year's All-MVFC teams.

I apologize in advance if I forgot someone or screwed something up for your team. Let me know if there are any glaring issues that need to be changed. Here goes:

Southern Illinois
Key Departures: (RB) D. Karim, (TE) R. Kernes, (P) S. Ravanesi, (DL) C. Arthurs, (LB) B. Jordan, (LB) K. Walker, (LB) C. Mixon, (DB) M. Rodgers
Key Returners: (QB) C. Dieker, (QB) P. McIntosh, (WR) J. Allaria, (OL) D. Pickard, (OL) B. Boemer, (FB) J. Goode, (K) K. Dougherty, (DB) M. McElroy, (DB) K. Lindsey, (DL) K. Russo

South Dakota State
Key Departures: (OL) C. Knipps, (OL) C. Bender, (WR) G. Fox, (WR) M. Steffen, (DL) D. Batten, (LB) C. Johnson, (LB) J. Rogers
Key Returners: (RB) K. Minett, (QB) T. O’Brien, (OL) R. McKnight, (TE) C. Cochart, (LB) D. Domino, (DB) C. Kjerstad, (DB) C. Brodie

Northern Iowa
Key Departures: (QB) P. Grace, (RB) D. Law, (OL) A. Steichen, (OL) A. Howard, (WR) D. Eyman, (WR) D. Hord, (LB) J. Mahoney, (LB) E. Hodge, (DL) C. Kinney, (DL) J. Ruffin, (DL) W. Lane, (DB) Q. Scott
Key Returners: (RB) C. Anderson, (FB) R. Mahaffey, (TE) S. Oordt, (K) B. Hallgren, (WR/KR) J. Herring, (LB) J. Thompson, (LB) L. Fort

Illinois State
Key Departures: (RB) G. Blow, (WR) E. Salem, (K) Z. Kutch, (DL) D. Phelps, (DB) C. Garrett
Key Returners: (QB) M. Brown, (RB) C. Gordon, (OL) N. Bledsoe, (WR) T. Walker, (DL) E. Brunner, (DB) K. Hemphill, (LB) E. Jones

Missouri State
Key Departures: (TE) C. Harbor, (K) M. Hottelman
Key Returners: (QB) K. Cody, (OL) D. Arkin, (LB) A. Wilkinson, (DB) S. Smith, (LB) A. Beauchamp, (Def) D. Miller, (Def.) M. Keck, (DL) W. Richardet, (P) J. Chiles

North Dakota State
Key Departures: (RB) P. Paschall, (QB) N, Mertens, (OL) K. Buckman, (OL) R. Foster, (KR) S. Washington, (DB) R. Bowman
Key Returners: (OL) A. Richard, (LB) P. Evans, (DL) C. Boyer, (DL) M. Gratzek

Youngstown State
Key Departures: (QB) B. Summers, (RB) K.Smith, (WR) D. Jones, (DL) M. Savage, (P) B. Nowicki, (DB) L. Wicks
Key Returners: (WR) D. Barnes, (OL) E. Rodemover, (LB) T. Hill, (DB) Andre Elliott

Western Illinois
Key Departures: (RB) D. Gibbs, (LB) B. Dudczak, (DB) P. Stoudamire
Key Returners: (QB) W. Lunt, (WR) L. Senatus, (KR) T. Speight, (LB) K. Glazier, (DL) B. Kreczmer

Indiana State
Key Departures: (DB) D. McCleskey
Key Returners: (LB) A. Archie, (DB) A. Sewall, (LB) J. Washington, (QB) R. Roberts, (DL) R. Hardy, (KR) D. Gates

Good luck to all of the Missouri Valley teams next year! Here's to the best FCS conference in the Nation!

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Here is my stab at it:

1. South Dakota State- They almost beat Montana in the playoffs and while they lost Batten, Fox, and a few others they return RB Kyle Minett and some potential All-Americans on defense to keep an eye on.

2. Southern Illinois- I think Lennon has recruited pretty well and with QB Chris Dieker back and a solid line we know that SIU is a RB factory so replacing Karim should not be too hard. CB Korey Lindsey gives them the best shut down corner in FCS on defense along with some rising stars that should help replace a few key losses.

3. Missouri State- This team has everything except TE Clay Harbor coming back pretty much. LB Antoine Wilkinson is one of the best in the nation while they have plenty of weapons on offense and some key pieces in the secondary to make them a potential surprise team.

4. Illinois State- This team has some interesting pieces back and QB Matt Brown could be a future star. I would not be surprised to see this team go 7-4 or so led by DB Kelvyn Hemphill and DT Eric Brunner defensively.

5. Northern Iowa- So much was lost from last year's team and while there are some solid players back their senior class is nowhere near as talented as their team was last year and they just don't have the star power to win more than 7 games in my opinion. I would guess 5-6 wins is most likely but they could even drop to just 4.

The rest of the league is a crap shoot as I don't believe any of the other teams have a real shot at winning more than 4 or 5 games. I think this league gets 2 playoff teams and they are somewhere around the 3rd or 4th best league in the FCS clearly behind the CAA, SoCon, and a toss up with the Big Sky.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
In addition to the information regarding the key players lost and returning for each team, here are the 2010 schedules for each of the MVFC teams. As always, please don't shoot the messanger if I happened to screw something up.

Southern Illinois
Sep. 2 Quincy
Sep. 11 @ Illinois
Sep. 18 SEMO
Sep. 25 @ Youngstown State
Oct. 2 @ Illinois State
Oct. 9 Northern Iowa
Oct. 16 South Dakota State
Oct. 30 @ Missouri State
Nov. 6 @North Dakota State
Nov. 13 Western Illinois
Nov. 20 Indiana State

South Dakota State
Sep. 11 @ Delaware
Sep. 18 Illinois State
Sep. 25 @ Nebraska
Oct. 2 @ Northern Iowa
Oct. 9 Western Illinois
Oct. 16 @ Southern Illinois
Oct. 23 Youngstown State
Oct. 30 @ Indiana State
Nov. 6 Missouri State
Nov. 13 @ North Dakota State
Nov. 20 North Dakota

Northern Iowa
Sep. 11 North Dakota State
Sep. 18 Stephen F. Austin
Sep. 25 @ Iowa State
Oct. 2 South Dakota State
Oct. 9 @ Southern Illinois
Oct. 16 @ South Dakota
Oct. 23 Illinois State
Oct. 30 @ Youngstown State
Nov. 6 @ Indiana State
Nov. 13 Missouri State
Nov. 20 @Western Illinois

Illinois State
Sep. 2 Central Missouri St.
Sep. 11 @ Northwestern
Sep. 18 @ South Dakota State
Sep. 25 Missouri State
Oct. 2 Southern Illinois
Oct.9 @ Indiana State
Oct. 16 North Dakota State
Oct. 23 @ Northern Iowa
Oct. 30 @ Western Illinois
Nov. 6 Youngstown State
Nov. 13 Eastern Illinois

Missouri State
Sep. 2 Eastern Kentucky
Sep. 11 @ Kansas State
Sep. 25 @ Illinois State
Oct. 2 Youngstown State
Oct. 9 @ Murray State
Oct. 16 @ Indiana State
Oct. 23 Western Illinois
Oct. 30 Southern Illinois
Nov. 6 @ South Dakota State
Nov. 13 @ Northern Iowa
Nov. 20 North Dakota State

North Dakota State
Sep. 4 @ Kansas
Sep. 11 @ Northern Iowa
Sep. 18 TBA
Sep. 25 South Dakota
Oct. 2 Western Illinois
Oct. 9 @ Youngstown State
Oct. 16 @ Illinois State
Oct. 23 Indiana State
Oct. 30 TBA
Nov. 6 Southern Illinois
Nov. 13 South Dakota State
Nov. 20 @ Missouri State

Youngstown State
Sep. 4 @ Penn State
Sep. 11 Butler
Sep. 18 Central Connecticut State
Sep. 25 Southern Illinois
Oct. 2 @ Missouri State
Oct. 9 North Dakota State
Oct. 16 @ Western Illinois
Oct. 23 @ South Dakota State
Oct. 30 Northern Iowa
Nov. 6 @ Illinois State
Nov. 13 Indiana State

Western Illinois
Sep. 2 Valparaiso
Sep. 11 @ Purdue
Sep. 18 Sam Houston State
Sep. 25 Indiana State
Oct. 2 @ North Dakota State
Oct. 9 @ South Dakota State
Oct. 16 Youngstown State
Oct. 23 @ Missouri State
Oct. 30 Illinois State
Nov. 13 @ Southern Illinois
Nov. 20 Northern Iowa

Indiana State
Sep. 4 St. Joseph's (Ind.)
Sep. 11 @ Cincinnati
Sep. 25 @ Western Illinois
Oct. 2 Quincy
Oct. 9 Illinois State
Oct. 16 Missouri State
Oct. 23 @ North Dakota State
Oct. 30 South Dakota State
Nov. 6 Northern Iowa
Nov. 13 @ Youngstown State
Nov. 20 @ Southern Illinois

MplsBison
May 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Lets make something crystal clear, the MVFC is neck-and-neck with the CAA for best conference in the nation. A half step ahead of SoCon and Big Sky.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Lets make something crystal clear, the MVFC is neck-and-neck with the CAA for best conference in the nation. A half step ahead of SoCon and Big Sky.

I noticed NDSU still has room to add another game to their 2010 schedule. Are there any updates on that, Mpls? Or, maybe the information I got from gobison.com isn't up-to-date...

Also, It looks to me like my Jackrabbits are going to have the toughest out of conference schedule (@ Delaware, @ Nebraska, vs. UND) next season, but a few other Valley teams look like they'll have their hands full as well. Let's hope one or two of us can grab a W against an FBS school this year - I'm still pissed about the UNI blocked FG's against the Hawkeyes...

MplsBison
May 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
There are rumors that we're going to pay Morgan State to come to the Fargodome Sept 18th, but nothing official yet.

Redbird Ray
May 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I noticed NDSU still has room to add another game to their 2010 schedule. Are there any updates on that, Mpls? Or, maybe the information I got from gobison.com isn't up-to-date...

Also, It looks to me like my Jackrabbits are going to have the toughest out of conference schedule (@ Delaware, @ Nebraska, vs. UND) next season, but a few other Valley teams look like they'll have their hands full as well. Let's hope one or two of us can grab a W against an FBS school this year - I'm still pissed about the UNI blocked FG's against the Hawkeyes...

Illinois State plays at Northwestern the same day 09/11 that Southern Illinois plays at Illinois. Call me crazy, but I think both games are winnable for both ISU and SIU. Northwestern will be rebuilding big time this year, and UIllinois just sucks. If the ISU game is an 11AM kickoff, I may try to bolt down I-57 for the SIU/Illini game at 630PM. But of course, I will be in Evanston on this day.

Redbird Ray
May 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I think this league gets 2 playoff teams and they are somewhere around the 3rd or 4th best league in the FCS clearly behind the CAA, SoCon, and a toss up with the Big Sky.

The CAA is the only league that is currently better than the MVFC. I'll put our 9 against the top 9 of any other conference, any day of the week. The MVFC deserves at least 3 playoff bids each year, especially in a 20 team format.

There may be other individual teams from other conferences that are better than our best, but year to year, the MVFC has more depth than just about any other league in FCS. The CAA got rid of two of their weaker programs, and now you will see the stronger programs beat up on each other more than in previous years. Unless there is a ridiculous amount of east coast bias in the selection process, you will not see more than 4 CAA teams this year in the playoffs because you will see more 7-4 CAA records this season.

achrist70
May 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Here is my stab at it:

1. South Dakota State- They almost beat Montana in the playoffs and while they lost Batten, Fox, and a few others they return RB Kyle Minett and some potential All-Americans on defense to keep an eye on.

2. Southern Illinois- I think Lennon has recruited pretty well and with QB Chris Dieker back and a solid line we know that SIU is a RB factory so replacing Karim should not be too hard. CB Korey Lindsey gives them the best shut down corner in FCS on defense along with some rising stars that should help replace a few key losses.

3. Missouri State- This team has everything except TE Clay Harbor coming back pretty much. LB Antoine Wilkinson is one of the best in the nation while they have plenty of weapons on offense and some key pieces in the secondary to make them a potential surprise team.

4. Illinois State- This team has some interesting pieces back and QB Matt Brown could be a future star. I would not be surprised to see this team go 7-4 or so led by DB Kelvyn Hemphill and DT Eric Brunner defensively.

5. Northern Iowa- So much was lost from last year's team and while there are some solid players back their senior class is nowhere near as talented as their team was last year and they just don't have the star power to win more than 7 games in my opinion. I would guess 5-6 wins is most likely but they could even drop to just 4.

The rest of the league is a crap shoot as I don't believe any of the other teams have a real shot at winning more than 4 or 5 games. I think this league gets 2 playoff teams and they are somewhere around the 3rd or 4th best league in the FCS clearly behind the CAA, SoCon, and a toss up with the Big Sky.

UNI will win more than 4 games

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
UNI will win more than 4 games

I believe so too. Like I said in the post I believe they will win 5-6. No way they win less than 4 and I doubt they win less than 5.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I believe so too. Like I said in the post I believe they will win 5-6. No way they win less than 4 and I doubt they win less than 5.

Based on their schedule, I also think UNI ends 2010 with 5 or 6 wins - no more, no less. They simply have too many holes to fill at critical positions. Unless their young talent really steps up, it is going to be a season unlike any other in recent history for the Panthers...

Northern Iowa
Sep. 11 North Dakota State
Sep. 18 Stephen F. Austin
Sep. 25 @ Iowa State
Oct. 2 South Dakota State
Oct. 9 @ Southern Illinois
Oct. 16 @ South Dakota
Oct. 23 Illinois State
Oct. 30 @ Youngstown State
Nov. 6 @ Indiana State
Nov. 13 Missouri State
Nov. 20 @Western Illinois

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM

xnutsx

xlmaox

Not even close.

Like the SoCon and the Big Sky... the MVFC is top heavy.... but far more top heavy than either of those conferences.

GPI has MVFC FIFTH

Conference Ranking:
Rank, League, Total Average

1. Colonial Athletic Association (24.71)
2. Southern Conference (29.42)
3. Big Sky Conference (30.54)
4. Great West Conference (32.40)
5. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.68)
6. Southland Conference (42.58)
7. Patriot League (49.90)
8. Big South Conference (51.16)
9. Ivy League (51.30)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (52.96)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.05)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (64.75)
13. Northeast Conference (65.45)
14. Pioneer Football League (69.74)
15. Independents (73.25)

5. Appalachian St (4.38)
8. Elon (8.25)
23. Furman (23.13)
30T. Chattanooga (29.13)
35. Ga Southern (31.38)
40T. Samford (33.50)
48T. The Citadel (40.38)
50. Wofford (41.25)
69. W Carolina (53.38)

2T. Montana (2.63)
10. E Washington (11.25)
12. Weber St (13.75)
20. Montana St (20.75)
24. N Arizona (23.50)
43. Sacramento St (35.63)
60. N Colorado (47.75)
75. Portland St (56.75)
85. Idaho St (62.88)

. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.68)
6. S Illinois (6.13)
9. S Dakota St (10.75)
14. Northern Iowa (15.00)
38. Youngstown St (32.88)
39. Illinois St (33.13)
44. Missouri St (36.13)
63. N Dakota St (48.38)
94. W Illinois (68.75)
111. Indiana St (79.00)

What's your reasoning that the MVFC is better than the Big Sky and SoCon and that it's "neck-and-neck" with the CAA?? xcoffeexxrotatehx

UNIFanSince1983
May 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I think we are personally right on par with the SoCon and the Big Sky for the record. And I believe the CAA is pretty much by itself right now.

But I will have to point out a critical error with your GPI thing. It has the Great West as the 4th best conference...Do you really believe that to be true? And is that from last year because you cannot compare one year from another as they are completely different.

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I think we are personally right on par with the SoCon and the Big Sky for the record. And I believe the CAA is pretty much by itself right now.

But I will have to point out a critical error with your GPI thing. It has the Great West as the 4th best conference...Do you really believe that to be true? And is that from last year because you cannot compare one year from another as they are completely different.

Yeah, that was from last year.

And... as for the Great West... it's hard to compare them since they have so few teams. They didn't have any GREAT teams last year... but, they didn't have any terrible teams, either. Hard to make the comparison.

But, if anyone wants to make the argument that MVFC is BETTER than the Big Sky or the SoCon I'd be willing to listen... I don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion... but, I'd be willing to listen.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I guess there was only one MVC vs. SoCon game to compare from last year... Here is the result:

South Dakota St. 44
Georgia Southern 6

Jacked_Rabbit
May 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Also, there was only one MVC vs. Big Sky game played in 2009. Here is the result:

After 3 quarters of play:
South Dakota St. 48
Montana 27

Ok, so Montana put up 34 in the 4th, I'm over it...

Redbird Ray
May 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Year to year, there is no f***ing way the Great West is better than the MVFC.

I think Villanova and William and Mary were the two best teams in FCS last season, and that the semi-final game in Philly last year was the real national championship.

The MVFC's best team last year, SIU, got beat by a very good William and Mary team at home.

Our second best team, SDSU, had the national champion runner up, Montana, beat at the toughest road venue in FCS until an unbelieveable choke job in the 4th quarter. If SDSU holds on, the national title race looks a lot different last year.

A team that finished in the middle of the conference pack in UNI, was a blocked field goal away from beating an FBS team that won the Orange Bowl (convincingly) last season.

Even our seventh place team in NDSU, gave Iowa State (2009 bowl champion) all they could handle for 3 quarters last season.

Our last place team in WIU, only lost by 10 pts to a SFA team that went into the second round of the playoffs, and in the process, took out the second best team from the Big Sky (EWU).

My point being that while we may not have the best teams each year, the MVFC is certainly one of the two or three deepest league in FCS. Show me an FCS conference (outside of the CAA) with a similar resume from top to bottom. I assure you that if there was a conference challenge between the MVFC and the Big Sky or SoCon, that in most years, the MVFC would win.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
xnutsx

xlmaox

Not even close.

Like the SoCon and the Big Sky... the MVFC is top heavy.... but far more top heavy than either of those conferences.

GPI has MVFC FIFTH

Conference Ranking:
Rank, League, Total Average

1. Colonial Athletic Association (24.71)
4. Great West Conference (32.40)
5. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.68)
6. Southland Conference (42.58)
7. Patriot League (49.90)
8. Big South Conference (51.16)
9. Ivy League (51.30)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (52.96)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.05)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (64.75)
13. Northeast Conference (65.45)
14. Pioneer Football League (69.74)
15. Independents (73.25)

5. Appalachian St (4.38)
8. Elon (8.25)
23. Furman (23.13)
30T. Chattanooga (29.13)
35. Ga Southern (31.38)
40T. Samford (33.50)
48T. The Citadel (40.38)
50. Wofford (41.25)
69. W Carolina (53.38)

2T. Montana (2.63)
10. E Washington (11.25)
12. Weber St (13.75)
20. Montana St (20.75)
24. N Arizona (23.50)
43. Sacramento St (35.63)
60. N Colorado (47.75)
75. Portland St (56.75)
85. Idaho St (62.88)

. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.68)
6. S Illinois (6.13)
9. S Dakota St (10.75)
14. Northern Iowa (15.00)
38. Youngstown St (32.88)
39. Illinois St (33.13)
44. Missouri St (36.13)
63. N Dakota St (48.38)
94. W Illinois (68.75)
111. Indiana St (79.00)

What's your reasoning that the MVFC is better than the Big Sky and SoCon and that it's "neck-and-neck" with the CAA?? xcoffeexxrotatehx

Because our top teams are as good as any other conference's top teams. That's what matters when ranking the conferences, not how good every team in the conference is.

Skjellyfetti
May 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Because our top teams are as good as any other conference's top teams. That's what matters when ranking the conferences, not how good every team in the conference is.

I disagree. It should be top to bottom. MVFC's bottom is one of the worst among autobid conferences.

We should just overlook that? xrolleyesx

MplsBison
May 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I disagree. It should be top to bottom. MVFC's bottom is one of the worst among autobid conferences.

We should just overlook that? xrolleyesx

MVFC top 3 can take the top 3 from any other conference. That's all that matters.

No one cares if your conference's bottom 3 can beat another conference's bottom 3.

Skjellyfetti
May 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM
MVFC top 3 can take the top 3 from any other conference. That's all that matters.

Then why has it been so long since any current MVFC member won a national title? xcoffeex

Redbird Ray
May 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Then why has it been so long since any current MVFC member won a national title? xcoffeex

You sure are going to feel stupid when Illinois State wins the national championship this year, and three of the final four teams left are from the MVFC!!!

Twentysix
May 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Heh, Ill reserve judgement on ranking the conferences until midway through this year.

Hopefully NDSU can move up. Our offense cutoff alot of cancer from last season hopefully it will show. But we did lose Captain America to graduation :(. Granted i felt the same way when Tyler Roehl graduated and then pat paschall proved hes just as good if not better, and i know bison nation felt the same way when Kyle Steffes graduated and then TylerRoehl proved he was better. So maybe the #1 RB position will be even better than it was last year (best in the nation).

Thundar
May 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
You sure are going to feel stupid when Illinois State wins the national championship this year, and three of the final four teams left are from the MVFC!!!

This whole scenario would be sweet if it happenedxrotatehx

ValleyChamp
May 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM
UNI is nowhere near as good as they have been for the last several years, but they still have better talent than most of this conference and will still challenge for a playoff spot, especially considering the expanded field.

UNI is down this year, but will still win 6-8 games mininum.

SIU and SDSU will both be very solid teams, but not as good as they were last year. NDSU will be up from last year, but most likely not a playoff team yet. ISUr and YSU are wild card teams, IMO. They both could be really good or realy mediocre.

MSU has some decent talent, and as in most years they claim that "this year they will be good". But we hear that every year, and almost every year they suck, so I'm not buying it yet.

WIU and ISUb will still suck.

and as far as comparing conferences, LO freaking L at any notion that the great west is as good as the MVC. This year or any year. Last year, a non-playoff UNI team beat USD by 60+ points.

The MVFC is a good conference. It is not as good as the CAA, but it is right at the same teir with the Socon and probably better than the BSC.

Skjellyfetti
May 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
The MVFC is a good conference. It is not as good as the CAA, but it is right at the same teir with the Socon and probably better than the BSC.

Based on what?

You're like the 4th or 5th MVFC fan to say this... but, all y'all have done is state your opinion. Y'all haven't backed it up.

WestCoastAggie
May 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
There are rumors that we're going to pay Morgan State to come to the Fargodome Sept 18th, but nothing official yet.

That's an interesting match-up if true.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
That's an interesting match-up if true.

Yes it should be a good one.

It's a much better match-up than SWAC or NEC teams.

ValleyChamp
May 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Based on what?

You're like the 4th or 5th MVFC fan to say this... but, all y'all have done is state your opinion. Y'all haven't backed it up.

Based on opinion. What else is there?

Just look at the teams from top to bottom. The MVFC has bunch of really solid programs. Who from the BSC has done anything noteworthy except Montana? I honestly cannot think of a BSC team that has made a playoff run other than montana.

What conferences other than the CAA do you think are better than the MVC?

UAalum72
May 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM

THe last time Morgan St. played an NEC team (2006) they lost to Monmouth 26-9, and their ranking last year would've been only middle-of-the-pack in the NEC (Sagarin)

MplsBison
May 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
THe last time Morgan St. played an NEC team (2006) they lost to Monmouth 26-9, and their ranking last year would've been only middle-of-the-pack in the NEC (Sagarin)

Fair enough.

I was more so talking to the fact that NDSU has had two NEC teams up for non-conference guarantee games that weren't real entertaining.

Maybe my expectations for Morgan State, being from a full-scholarship, auto-bid conference are too high.

tribefan40
May 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM

If we're talking about last year, I would have to disagree. Your top team got taken apart at home by the 3rd place CAA team, and the other had a melt down for the ages. Not an impressive showing. xsmhx

tribefan40
May 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I think Villanova and William and Mary were the two best teams in FCS last season, and that the semi-final game in Philly last year was the real national championship.

xnodx

WestCoastAggie
May 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM

It's been confirmed by the MSU AD. xsmileyclapx

Thundar
May 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM

LINKY xconfusedxxconfusedx

I hope your right though

Houndawg
May 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
If we're talking about last year, I would have to disagree. Your top team got taken apart at home by the 3rd place CAA team, and the other had a melt down for the ages. Not an impressive showing. xsmhx

Well, we won the first quarter.:D

Jacked_Rabbit
May 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Well, we won the first quarter.:D

... And we won the first 3 quarters!! xlolx

onbison09
May 17th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Finally. xrotatehx

leatherneck177
May 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
1) Southern Illinois - recruit, reload, win
2) Illinois State - young team with good blend of experience at skill positions
3) South Dakota State - still potent, but what about the defense?
4) Northern Iowa - even though they lost a ton, they always reload
5) Western Illinois - a TON of new players, jucos, transfers plus team 100% healthy at key positions. Keep in mind they played with a freshmen QB for most of last year. Take a closer look at the scores of those games.
6) Missouri State - Average, Clay Harbor loss will be bigger than they think
7) North Dakota State - Could get up to 4th, just not sure what kind of team is going to show up.
8) Youngstown State - Also could get up to 4, but the breaks don't go their way.
9) Indiana State - Not an 0fer, but will only pull off one conference win again (could be against Western again!)

Houndawg
May 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
1) Southern Illinois - recruit, reload, win
2) Illinois State - young team with good blend of experience at skill positions
3) South Dakota State - still potent, but what about the defense?
4) Northern Iowa - even though they lost a ton, they always reload
5) Western Illinois - a TON of new players, jucos, transfers plus team 100% healthy at key positions. Keep in mind they played with a freshmen QB for most of last year. Take a closer look at the scores of those games.
7) North Dakota State - Could get up to 4th, just not sure what kind of team is going to show up.
8) Youngstown State - Also could get up to 4, but the breaks don't go their way.
9) Indiana State - Not an 0fer, but will only pull off one conference win again (could be against Western again!)

I hear ISU has a bunch of xfers.

MSUBear42
May 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM

We're replacing him with Matt Thayer, a 1 year juco transfer who was named all-region his fr year and was all state for most of his HS career... won't drop of that much.

leatherneck177
May 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
We're replacing him with Matt Thayer, a 1 year juco transfer who was named all-region his fr year and was all state for most of his HS career... won't drop of that much.

If HS all state counted for anything, all FCS teams would be loaded.

MSUBear42
May 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
If HS all state counted for anything, all FCS teams would be loaded.

Good comeback...xrolleyesxxlolx

My point was that while he was incredible, it won't hurt us that much. Our boring OC will hurt us 20X more than losing All-Everything Harbor.

smallcollegefbfan
May 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Good comeback...

My point was that while he was incredible, it won't hurt us that much. Our boring OC will hurt us 20X more than losing All-Everything Harbor.

Harbor was an excellent player. He should be missed but yes I agree that you guys have a lot of talent coming back. I really believe based on paper that SIU, SDSU, and MSU all have the talent to make the playoffs.

leatherneck177
May 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Good comeback...xrolleyesxxlolx

The comment came off that way because I've read about so many "great" transfers that Western has brought in that have been non-factors.

You guys do need to open it up quite a bit.

TheBisonator
May 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I wish football season could just get here already so NDSU could prove either that they're on the uptick or that they're just losers. Of course I cannot in good conscience believe that we'll lose more than 6 games this year at worst. Like I said, there was a perfect s hit storm last year that happened to NDSU Football.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I wish football season could just get here already so NDSU could prove either that they're on the uptick or that they're just losers. Of course I cannot in good conscience believe that we'll lose more than 6 games this year at worst. Like I said, there was a perfect s hit storm last year that happened to NDSU Football.

In the long run it doesn't really matter if we come back this season or not.

We're too much of a "have" program. Too many resources to fail long term.

leatherneck177
May 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM
In the long run it doesn't really matter if we come back this season or not.

We're too much of a "have" program. Too many resources to fail long term.

Agreed.

You can only be down for so long.

Yosef84
May 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM

I agree with your post completely!

The MVC is an outstanding conference, and in any given year, they could flip positions in any theoretical quality ranking. Big Sky is right there also, but I think they are still a half notch behind, although their conference depth is improving.

CAA is the class of the FCS largely because of numbers. They certainly have an abundance of excellent programs, but since they don't all play each other, their schedules have actually been weaker than a SoCon or MVC schedule (in some cases). With the loss of their two bottom dweller teams, the density of the CAA will increase and that will change.

The "top" of the SoCon isn't what is once was this year, but there really aren't any patsies anymore. Yeah, WCU has struggled in their record, but they're improving every year, and I actually believe that Wagner will get them back into the mix very soon. Chattanooga is greatly improved and could take another huge step this year. The Citadel has always been dangerous on "any given Saturday" even when their record was bad.

4th and What?
May 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Year to year, there is no f***ing way the Great West is better than the MVFC.

Year to year is a tough sell since almost half of the GWC (yes, it's small) joined the MVFC two years ago and UND/USD moved up from DII. Over the past two years, the two conferences have had an even head to head record, and arguments can be made either way as to who has the edge. Last year a middle MVFC team absolutely routed a middle GWC team. However, the last place GWC team beat a top tier MVFC team. In 2008, the conferences split a four game schedule, with the MVFC's two wins coming from the two teams transitioning to FCS from DII.

The fact is, for every SIU and SD State of last year, the MVFC still have the bottom feeders. The GWC has no bottom feeders, and any team from that conference can compete with any other team out there.

2009 head to head (1-1):
Cal Poly 21 - SD State 14
UNI 66 - USD 7

2008 head to head (2-2):
Cal Poly 42 - SD State 28
SUU 14 - Youngstown St 7
SIU 40 - UND 21
UNI 24 - USD 13

Jacked_Rabbit
May 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Year to year is a tough sell since almost half of the GWC (yes, it's small) joined the MVFC two years ago and UND/USD moved up from DII. Over the past two years, the two conferences have had an even head to head record, and arguments can be made either way as to who has the edge. Last year a middle MVFC team absolutely routed a middle GWC team. However, the last place GWC team beat a top tier MVFC team. In 2008, the conferences split a four game schedule, with the MVFC's two wins coming from the two teams transitioning to FCS from DII.

The fact is, for every SIU and SD State of last year, the MVFC still have the bottom feeders. The GWC has no bottom feeders, and any team from that conference can compete with any other team out there.

2009 head to head (1-1):
Cal Poly 21 - SD State 14
UNI 66 - USD 7

2008 head to head (2-2):
Cal Poly 42 - SD State 28
SUU 14 - Youngstown St 7
SIU 40 - UND 21
UNI 24 - USD 13

Good point, 4th & What, but let's put the so-called "bottom feeders" aside for a moment... Besides, isn't it the numer of top tier teams you have in your conference that really matters come playoff time?

Try this on for size:
At the end of the year, if you took the top 5 teams from the GWFC (which is all of them) and match them up against the top 5 from the MVFC, matching conference winners vs. winners, 2nd vs. 2nd, and so on, the Valley would win atleast 4 out of 5 pf those games every time!! Historically, Cal Poly or UC Davis will be able to pull off an occational win, but UND, USD, and SUU would be in big trouble...

Side note - I'd like to point out that the team formally known as the Fighting Sioux (insert Prince symbol) lost to an NAIA school last year on their home turf! xsmhx

4th and What?
May 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
but....but..... that's cheating :)

Agreed, and I see both sides of that argument being a primary fan of CAA and Great West teams. Though I know nothing of the details of the move, I assume there was a reason SD St and ND St moved from the GWC to the MVFC. And there's always chat that the MVFC is where a couple of the GWC football teams would rather be.

I just always get a little twitchy when people are down on that conference. Any of the 5 teams can beat anyone at home (really want to see the Montana/Cal Poly game this year), though they can also lose to anyone on the road....

MplsBison
May 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
If you pitted the top 3 teams from Big Sky, MVFC, Southland, SoCon and CAA against each other, you'd have a lot of good games and I think most of the records would be pretty even.

Top 5, you might see some break-away.

Top 8, definitely would see tiers.

JBB
May 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
but....but..... that's cheating :)

Agreed, and I see both sides of that argument being a primary fan of CAA and Great West teams. Though I know nothing of the details of the move, I assume there was a reason SD St and ND St moved from the GWC to the MVFC. And there's always chat that the MVFC is where a couple of the GWC football teams would rather be.

I just always get a little twitchy when people are down on that conference. Any of the 5 teams can beat anyone at home (really want to see the Montana/Cal Poly game this year), though they can also lose to anyone on the road....

One of the things you want to look at is the playoff record of the GWC. Kind of thin if you ask me.

Another point that is pertinent is the margin of victory. GWC teams have absolutely been blown out by playoff quality teams with very little to show in the victory column. In addition the record against lower division teams is dismal.

Anybody can beat anybody. AGS remember? I don't see stating any of the GWC teams being able to win at home as being a very high commendation of the GWC. NDSU can beat anybody at home and that isnt getting the BISON any votes of confidence.

Thundar
May 22nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
One of the things you want to look at is the playoff record of the GWC. Kind of thin if you ask me.

Another point that is pertinent is the margin of victory. GWC teams have absolutely been blown out by playoff quality teams with very little to show in the victory column. In addition the record against lower division teams is dismal.

Anybody can beat anybody. AGS remember? I don't see stating any of the GWC teams being able to win at home as being a very high commendation of the GWC. NDSU can beat anybody at home and that isnt getting the BISON any votes of confidence.

They also are not and auto bid which makes it hard to get into the playoffs

ming01
May 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have not really done much research on what teams have gained or lost, but I'm bored so here we go:

1) Southern Illinois - Best team in the Valley until proven otherwise.
2) South Dakota State - I honestly don't know much about the bunnies other than the fact that they are a pain in the ass every year.
3) Illinois State - Total homer pick, but I believe at the end of last season, we were playing as tough as anyone in the Valley. 2nd year under Spack.
4) Youngstown State - Supposedly they had a lot of injuries least year and if healthy this year, they will rebound. Ehh, we'll see.
5) Missouri State - Have made baby steps each year with Allen. Brought in the Valley's 2nd highest rated recruiting class this year.
6) Northern Iowa - Lose a lot, but it's hard for me to imagine the kitties finishing even this low. Mark Farley can flat out coach.
7) North Dakota State - I have no reason to put you any higher right now. But, as I've stated in many other posts, I hope the Bison have great success.
8) Indiana State - Not pathetic anymore. Kind of soft non-conf could pave the way to a mediocre looking record, which would be good.
9) Western Illinois - Program is in a world of hurt right now.

1. Southern Illinois
2. SDSU
3. NDSU
4. Illinois St.
5. Northern Iowa
6. Youngstown St.
7. Missouri St.
8. Indiana St.
9. Western Illinois

Gotta have some surprises in there ;)

darell1976
May 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Just a quick question. Where would SIU be without Dale Lennon?? And could we please have him back......PLEASE!!!!

Thundar
May 31st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Just a quick question. Where would SIU be without Dale Lennon?? And could we please have him back......PLEASE!!!!

Dale Lennon has NOT played a season with his recruits yet, he was handed the keys to a Cadillac, and we will see shortly if he downgrades to a fiesta when his players are in the system fully.

So SIU would be just where they are now if Dale was not there.

darell1976
May 31st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Dale Lennon has NOT played a season with his recruits yet, he was handed the keys to a Cadillac, and we will see shortly if he downgrades to a fiesta when his players are in the system fully.

So SIU would be just where they are now if Dale was not there.
When does "his" recruits start?

Thundar
May 31st, 2010, 10:32 AM

Well a SIU fan would have more knowledge on who Dale Redsirted in his first recruiting class, but I would assume next year there will be several of Dales first recruits?? I wasn't smacking Dale he is a good coach but his success last year was "helped" by the previous staff and their recruiting effort.

Twentysix
May 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
When do "his" recruits start?

Fixed your strange statement. It really boggled my mind for a bit.

Houndawg
May 31st, 2010, 06:52 PM

This years seniors are still Jerry's Kids. Lennon red shirts his whole freshman class, I think last year RB Steve Strother was the only exception. Dale Lennon is a **** good coach, we'll see what kind of recruiter he is shortly. IMO, we'll be fine. Personally I hope he emphasizes, and can find, speed the way Kill did.

Houndawg
May 31st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Well a SIU fan would have more knowledge on who Dale Redsirted in his first recruiting class, but I would assume next year there will be several of Dales first recruits?? I wasn't smacking Dale he is a good coach but his success last year was "helped" by the previous staff and their recruiting effort.

All of them.