PDA

View Full Version : Top FCS TEs

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Continuing with threads on each position let's hear your top tight ends. Here is a brief list of a few of the top returnees from last year. Add in anyone you would add as a potential top 10-15 player at the position.

Stephen Skelton, Fordham
Ben Jorden, Appalachian State, Jr.
Schuylar Oordt, Northern Iowa, Sr.
Alex Sellars, The Citadel, Sr.
David Duran, Coastal Carolina, Jr.
Corday Clark, McNeese State, Sr.
Dean Rogers, UC Davis, Sr.

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Southeastern's Simmie Yarborough was listed as an All-SLC second-team tight end last year. More of a wide receiver if you ask me, but very deserving of recognition if we're going to consider him a TE...

lionsrking2
May 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Southeastern's Simmie Yarborough was listed as an All-SLC second-team tight end last year. More of a wide receiver if you ask me, but very deserving of recognition if we're going to consider him a TE...

Simmie is listed as a TE because he'll occasionally line up there to create mismatches against LBs and Safeties, but he's really a WR.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Since he mostly plays WR I put him in that group. :)

cowbellnation
May 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Colin Cochart SDSU? Ask the Montana defense about his two TD catches last season in the playoff game.

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Have to throw in Alex Gottlieb from W&M. After playing as a true freshman in 2008, the rising Junior will step into the featured role for the Tribe after the graduation of Rob Varno. Verstaile TE who played early because of his blocking ability, but has the potential to be a prolific pass catcher as well. At 6'4" 245, he runs well, and has shown good hands and athleticism.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I think Oordt at UNI is a great weapon. Not much of a blocking TE though.

achrist70
May 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Ryan Mahaffey is technically listed as a tight end, although I would call him more of a H-Back lining up both on the line and in the backfield. He has been All-Conference for the past 3 years.

HenZoneNation
May 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
It's a shame Josh Baker's 6th season appeal was denied because he very well could have been the best TE in the country. Our two previous TE's, both in the NFL, raved about him when they were at UD. He re-appealled but who knows what will happen.

Head Cat
May 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'd second your opinion on Josh Baker. He had the makings of a very good tight end when he was injured last year. Too bad Baker didn't get that sixth year.

crusader11
May 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Watch out for Alex Schneider from Holy Cross. He didn't play much at the beginning of last season, but was probably the league's best TE in the second half. He could be the primary receiving target come this fall.

gbhmt
May 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Colin Cochart SDSU? Ask the Montana defense about his two TD catches last season in the playoff game.

Maybe you should ask Cochart if he remembers the Montana defense...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUTnNFSiy0&feature=related. Probably not xrotatehx

Jacked_Rabbit
May 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Maybe you should ask Cochart if he remembers the Montana defense...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUTnNFSiy0&feature=related. Probably not xrotatehx

Point proven, because you obviously remembered him. Cochart has a legitimate chance a being drafted next year.

HCbacker
May 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I agree that Alex Schneider from Holy Cross should be on this list. He's a big target with good hands and athleticism. It will be interesting to see his development this year, he could be a bigtime prospect.

gbhmt
May 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Point proven, because you obviously remembered him. Cochart has a legitimate chance a being drafted next year.

Remembered him like I would remember any other player on the list of Keith Thompson's victims...

cowbellnation
May 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Remembered him like I would remember any other player on the list of Keith Thompson's victims...

So Mr. Thompson had ONE big hit on Mr. Cochart. Mr. Cochart scored TWO TD's on the Montana defense. Isn't this a thread on the Top FCS TEs? Because of the thread title I just thought I would suggest that Colin Cochart is most definently one of the Top FCS TEs. You should bring that clip up during the Top FCS DBs thread when it aids in the discussion at hand.

gbhmt
May 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
So Mr. Thompson had ONE big hit on Mr. Cochart. Mr. Cochart scored TWO TD's on the Montana defense. Isn't this a thread on the Top FCS TEs? Because of the thread title I just thought I would suggest that Colin Cochart is most definently one of the Top FCS TEs. You should bring that clip up during the Top FCS DBs thread when it aids in the discussion at hand.

Easy now, lighten up a bit. Just poking a bit of fun. Yeah, duh, he's obviously a great TE, he's big, he can block, he can catch. We got it. We're not in a funeral home here, settle down. Also, last I called out you brought up the whole "oh, just ask the Montana defense he scored MULTIPLE touchdowns on them, whoaaa" thing, so don't dish it it if you can't take it. xcoffeex

cowbellnation
May 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Easy now, lighten up a bit. Just poking a bit of fun. Yeah, duh, he's obviously a great TE, he's big, he can block, he can catch. We got it. We're not in a funeral home here, settle down. Also, last I called out you brought up the whole "oh, just ask the Montana defense he scored MULTIPLE touchdowns on them, whoaaa" thing, so don't dish it it if you can't take it. xcoffeex

Just saying what I post is relevant and what you did is not. Just saying.xcoffeex

PaladinNation
May 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
2010 Furman will play with H-back tightends.

Colin Anderson, Jacob Longoria, Trey McCray, Phillip Silverstein are all mobile tightends that I'm guessing will play in the backfield, in the slot, as well as the traditional tightend position.

There's no question this is potentially a very talented diverse group of tightends. The question is will one get enough playing time to make enough stats to get some attention.

Kemo
May 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM

It was actually 3 TD's by Cochart against Montana, but who's counting xrotatehx

In all seriousness though, Cochart very easily could be the best tight end in the FCS next year. He is a physical specimen at 6'4", 255 lbs, and can move like most receivers, but he will also likely benefit from SDSU's new passing game coordinator, Eric Eidsness, who utilizes the TE position like few other offensive coordinators.

ngineer
May 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Not this year, but in another look for Jamal Haggins of Lehigh to start making some noise. Out of Philly, the kid has a tremendous frame to put more meat on and is a rising Sophomore. Showed a lot of potential in Spring Game. Currently
6'3" and 225, he can easily put on another 30 lbs. He ran with the first team in the Spring Game and I can see him killing defenses with the 3 WRs..No Lb will be able to stay with him.

PhoenixPhan06
May 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Look out for Elon's stable of TE's in Matt Leddy, Andre Labinowicz, Taylor Berry, and Gavin Billings

McNeese75
May 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
He is on the list and there is a reason why, - Corday Clark

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/slu09g89td12.jpg

JacksFan06
May 12th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Colin Cochart from SDSU has been talked about as a serious NFL prospect since his Sophomore season.

TE Colin Cochart
South Dakota St
Senior

6'4" 255

26 receptions, 240 yards, 9.2 ave, 5 TD

23 receptions, 401 yards, 17.4 ave, 4 TD

tribefan40
May 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Look out for Elon's stable of TE's in Matt Leddy, Andre Labinowicz, Taylor Berry, and Gavin Billings

Between this and the WR thread, it looks like Riddle will have 10+ elite targets to throw to next season xeyebrowx