PDA

View Full Version : In His Own Words: Robin Pflugrad, Montana HC

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Pflugrad gives his insight into the expansion of the Div I playoffs, how the Grizwald offense is a work in progress and his expectations for 2010..

Robin Pflugrad was hired to be the 34th head coach in the Montana Grizzlies’ 109-year football history on Dec. 31 of last year. The 52-year-old was promoted after one season as UM’s wide receivers coach to replace Bobby Hauck, who left for UNLV after seven seasons.

Pflugrad takes over a program that went 80-17 and 47-6 in the Big Sky Conference under Hauck, and played in the last two Football Championship Subdivision title games.

On a recent fundraising and recruiting swing through Billings, Pflugrad sat down for an extensive interview with Gazette sports writer Greg Rachac. Following is a glimpse of their conversation:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/article_5d9b9068-5b40-11df-95e8-001cc4c03286.html

slostang
May 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Here is a couple of things I found interesting:

Gazette: How daunting are the expectations to match coach Hauck’s run of success?

Pflugrad: I don’t think anybody will match that success. I don’t think at all we’re even close to being the most talented team. I think we’re down the rung two to three spots. And why does that happen? Well, I don’t know. But we’re out recruiting right now, and that hasn’t been done (in the spring) in about three years at Montana, and that’s unacceptable. Those things will get us behind the 8-ball, and those things will, unfortunately, keep you from winning all your games.

Every single booster wants us to win the national title, and it is daunting to think you’re going to do that. So to answer your question, I don’t know if it will ever happen again.
Gazette: What are your overall expectations for the Grizzlies in 2010? If you don’t make it to the title game will you consider it a failure?

Pflugrad: Not at all. There might be a whole bunch of people who disagree with me, but I think this team is still in the process of becoming a team. We’ve talked about that as a staff and as a program.

Really, we don’t know who all are starters are yet. And the last three years that’s kind of been answered. There’s a different kid in Missoula right now. We’ve got to find out who he is.