PDA

View Full Version : Top FCS RBs

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I am sure the next TSN article will be the RB rankings. Who do you expect to see ranked? Here is a list of some names that I believe have to be there based on their careers so far.

Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington, Jr.
Kyle Minett, South Dakota State, Sr.
Devon Moore, App State, Sr.
Chase Reynolds, Montana, Sr.
Ed Gowins, Stony Brook, Jr.
Chris Evans, Samford, Sr.
Jonathan Grimes, William & Mary, Jr.

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
John Griffin of UMass has to be a candidate. He rushed for over 1,000 yards last year for an awful Northeastern team, and was first team All-CAA along with Jonathan Grimes.

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
There's no top returning backs in the SLC this year as both UCA's Brent Grimes and McN's Toddrick Pendland are gone...

SFA's Vincent Pervis may be someone to watch, solely on the fact if he has a successful year at RB, it could really make things easier for Jeremy Moses...

slostang
May 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I think that Cal Poly's Mark Rodgers (West Virginia transfer) may be on the list at the end of the year. He can fly, he runs a 10.4 100 meter. His problem at WVU was he was stuck behind Noel Devine.

McNeese75
May 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
There's no top returning backs in the SLC this year as both UCA's Brent Grimes and McN's Toddrick Pendland are gone...

SFA's Vincent Pervis may be someone to watch, solely on the fact if he has a successful year at RB, it could really make things easier for Jeremy Moses...

McNeese has a nice stable of RB's with Champlain Babin returning and RS Freshman Marcus Wiltz coming on. I would not be surprised to see Babin at the top of the SLC this year depending on what transpires at the QB position.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Truth be told, I think three of the five best running backs in the SoCon play for Furman: Jerry Williams, Mike Brown, Tersoo Uhaa.

phoenixphanatic21
May 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Truth be told, I think three of the five best running backs in the SoCon play for Furman: Jerry Williams, Mike Brown, Tersoo Uhaa.

I could make the same argument for Elon with Brandon Newsome, Jamal Shuman and A.J. Harris. And then there's Dontay Taylor after him.

jstclmet
May 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Nova's Aaron Ball should be on the list. 1k runner in 08, limited by leg injuries in 09. Once Nova has the lead in the 3rd qtr, you'll see a ton of Ball in the second half.

txstatebobcat
May 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Karrington Bush - Texas State. played less than half the games last year due to injury, however he could easily be one of the top RBs in the at least the SLC if not the country.

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Karrington Bush - Texas State. played less than half the games last year due to injury, however he could easily be one of the top RBs in the at least the SLC if not the country.

I forgot about KB...

We'll put an * next to him for the time being. What's the word on where his health is at this point? Could be explosive if he's 100%...

colorless raider
May 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Nate Eachus of Colgate. Stats were not great last year as he was injured for 4 games.

rmutv
May 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Myles Russ, Robert Morris - 1,000+ yard rusher the past two seasons, averaging 5+ yards per carry. He'll be a senior and probably an early favorite for NEC player of the year.

Brad82
May 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Anthony Ferrer of URI is a bull.
Maybe Joe Casey will come back?

JohnStOnge
May 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
McNeese has a nice stable of RB's with Champlain Babin returning and RS Freshman Marcus Wiltz coming on. I would not be surprised to see Babin at the top of the SLC this year depending on what transpires at the QB position.

Yes. Babin averaged 6.1 yards per carry last year and had McNeese's longest run from scrimmage (76 yards). He may not be as fast as the guy mentioned at Cal Poly but he's plenty fast. In high school he was a state champ in both the 110 and 300 meter hurdles and also ran on state championship 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 meter relay teams. It was a lower classification (AA) but, still, he ain't slow.

Only thing is I think the coaches should tell him he doesn't have to try to kill the tackler when he finishes a run. Yes, it's good that he likes to deliver the blow but sometimes it's better to just go ahead and go out of bounds or something. I like that he's agressive but I think he probably needs to pull back a little bit on that in some circumstances so he doesn't get to beat up over the course of a season.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
The best RB in the Southland will most likely come from McNeese.....

The REAL question is WHO???

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
UNI usually has some pretty great backs. Problem is, we never use them very heavily, so the stats aren't gaudy.

JohnStOnge
May 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
The best RB in the Southland will most likely come from McNeese.....

The REAL question is WHO???

Well, McNeese did suffer a huge blow in Spring Training when Javaris Murray went down to (I think) a knee injury. Anyway he's going to be redshirted this next year. I can only hope that he comes back to at least close to where he was.

But Champlain Babin does appear to have a lot of potential. Hard to say about Marcus Wiltz because he hasn't been in a game yet but he was McNeese's most highly rated recruit in 2009. Right now I'd guess that if McNeese does have the top running back in the Southland it's going to be Babin.

UNIFanSince1983
May 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
UNI usually has some pretty great backs. Problem is, we never use them very heavily, so the stats aren't gaudy.

And this year with a offensive line that is pretty much entirely new they won't have great stats again (probably).

lionsrking2
May 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I am sure the next TSN article will be the RB rankings. Who do you expect to see ranked? Here is a list of some names that I believe have to be there based on their careers so far.

Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington, Jr.
Kyle Minett, South Dakota State, Sr.
Devon Moore, App State, Sr.
Chase Reynolds, Montana, Sr.
Ed Gowins, Stony Brook, Jr.
Chris Evans, Samford, Sr.
Jonathan Grimes, William & Mary, Jr.

A name to definitely watch is Zeke Jones, 6-0, 245, So., from Southeastern Louisiana...had 395 yards rushing (5.0 ypc) as a freshman backup last year and caught 25 balls for another 225 yards...had a monster spring and will be the feature back in 2010 as a sophomore...our offense will gear more towards a power running game to take advantage of his abilities, and with a veteran offensive line returning, I can definitely see him surpassing 1,000 yards rushing and catching 40+ balls.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k73/selulions/ZekeFlies.jpg?t=1273456199http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k73/selulions/ZekeJonesruns.jpg?t=1273517385

Houndawg
May 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
SIU's Shariff Harris (Pitt xfer) could make some noise even though the Dawgs will be throwing more this year.

McNeese75
May 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
A name to definitely watch is Zeke Jones, 6-0, 245, So., from Southeastern Louisiana...had 395 yards rushing (5.0 ypc) as a freshman backup last year and caught 25 balls for another 225 yards...had a monster spring and will be the feature back in 2010 as a sophomore...our offense will gear more towards a power running game to take advantage of his abilities, and with a veteran offensive line returning, I can definitely see him surpassing 1,000 yards rushing and catching 40+ balls.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k73/selulions/ZekeFlies.jpg?t=1273456199

The Kid is a big back and should be a force in the future.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
And this year with a offensive line that is pretty much entirely new they won't have great stats again (probably).

That and he will split time with other backs again.

tribefan40
May 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Grimes should have huge stat lines this year with a developing QB and veteran offensive line. Hope that translates in to wins...

mikebigg
May 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Grambling has two guys who split time:

Frank Warren

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=234378

and

Cornelius Walker

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=238673

Warren avg 4.8 yds per carry (career) and Walker avg 4.72 per carry

jmufan999
May 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Aaron Ball should be on the list. 1k runner in 08

no kidding, he was lighting us up in the "Hail Mary Game". great, great player.

HenZoneNation
May 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm not looking forward to seeing Grimes...I can't imagine that UNI won't have the OLine upfront. The Mid West grows them big and they always seem to have a very good line.

I think Chase Reynolds will be the man this year and finish off a great, great season and run at Montana. I enjoy watching that guy play football.

GOODY26
May 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6350/nsu9808deangelobranche3.jpg

I would add Deanglo Branche to that list. He is one of the top running backs in the Meac this year that is returning.