PDA

View Full Version : Worst helmets?

dirtbag
January 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/images/CustWESTERNCAROLINA04XX.JPG

!??!?!

Say it ain't so. That looks like an minor league indoor football team helmet.

HiHiYikas
January 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I know I've read someplace that WCU is fairly proud of being one of the very, very few schools with "Catamounts" as a nickname (I wanna say 1 of 2 schools nationwide). Why they'd want to officially sanction the shortened version "Cats" by putting it on their helmets is a bit confusing.

Not a bad looking graphic, by itself. Not exactly side-of-the-helmet material, though. Simpler would be better.

ewu guy
January 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
It looks like something from my nephew's cartoons. My condolensces to the players who have to wear that 5 months a year.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
The other is Vermont Catamounts...UVerMont (French for Green Mountain)

Apps32
January 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I know I've read someplace that WCU is fairly proud of being one of the very, very few schools with "Catamounts" as a nickname (I wanna say 1 of 2 schools nationwide). Why they'd want to officially sanction the shortened version "Cats" by putting it on their helmets is a bit confusing.

Not a bad looking graphic, by itself. Not exactly side-of-the-helmet material, though. Simpler would be better.

I don't know why they left those UofWashington looking 'W' helmets - they were classic, nice looking. I esp liked the gold ones with the purple Ws... That new logo they have on there is awful IMO

ngineer
January 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I agree that it looks like an Arena team logo--sort of like baseball teams degenerating into softball-type logos and styles. Sometimes, though, the 'uniquenss' can begin to wear on you. There was alot of uproar over the Cincinnati Bengals 'pumpkin' helmets when they first came out. They haven't gone away and now you don't hear anything about them as we've gotten used to them....sort of.. ;)

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
When will I see a Mountainhawk on LU's headgear?

ewu guy
January 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Cleveland Browns have the ugliest unis ever IMO, but at least the colors match their style of play.........crap

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
When will I see a Mountainhawk on LU's headgear?

New coach could mean new unis... he was under Higgins though. What did they wear then? I could see him bringing that look back as a statement, but then again, I don't remember it being much different!

Pard4Life
January 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I nominate Lafayette's previous hideous black helmets... those were awful IMO, but probably dont' stack up to other I-AAs.

Now our charcoal basketball uniforms from 3years ago.. those were horrible too... who ever chose those?

LeopardFan04
January 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I nominate Lafayette's previous hideous black helmets... those were awful IMO, but probably dont' stack up to other I-AAs.

Now our charcoal basketball uniforms from 3years ago.. those were horrible too... who ever chose those?

Agreed. And agreed. We should stick to Maroon and White.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM

If we're nominating, the Colgate 'flaming C' helmets in the early to mid 90s were horrible. Let me see if I can dig up a picture.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Didn't Lehigh have "LEHIGH" in cap letters written across in the mid-90s?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The other is Vermont Catamounts...UVerMont (French for Green Mountain)

Sorry Rule, but I've got to call you on this one. While correct that Vermont's nickname is Catamount, you're wrong on the derivation of Vermont and the initials of UVM. According to the University of Vermont web site:

The initials UVM stand for the Latin term Universitas Viridis Montis, or University of the Green Mountains. The phrase appears on the university's official seal as Universitas V. Montis.

UVM History (http://www.uvm.edu/about_uvm/history/)

Close proxity to Quebec may have led you to believe the name had French roots.

Please return to your regular scheduled bashing of helmet designs! ;) :)

Ivytalk
January 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM

!??!?!

Gawdamighty. Makes the players look like two-dollar hookers. :eek:

SunCoastBlueHen
January 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM

!??!?!

That helmet looks like an add for a new Stephen King movie.

Mr. C
January 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM
For me, Penn State is the absolute worst. Totally BORING, like their geezer of a coach. Might as well wear leather helmet, like Joe Paterno did when he played. The local high school team in Boone changed from a nice light blue color to a Penn State look this year. The new unis were hidious and silly for a program with the reputation as being one of the worst in North Carolina prep football. Some others I don't like are any helmets that have big numbers on the side (Alabama, Georgia Southern etc.) and Dartmouth is pretty bad with the big D in the front.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
UNH Alum, I will stand corrected. I did assume it to be French and obviously a lot of interplay between French/English in that domain (Montpelier, for instance, the capital, which by the way is the only state capital without a McDonalds in the USA!). See, if I don't know one thing, I know another. :rolleyes:

Marcus Garvey
January 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Actually, that was in the 70's though early 80's. It was plain white. I don't remember if "LEHIGH" was arched (like the old Cincy Bengals' helmets) or straight. In the mid 80's, they adopted a gold helmet with a brown/white stripe down the middle. They then put a brown oval with an interlocking "L-U" design on it. Basically, the ripped of the 49'ers old helmet design, replacing red with brown and "SF" with "LU." Sometime in the 90's, they dropped the logo from the helmets, but I'm not sure what year.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I could have sworn it was in the mid-90s...Gold helmets with LEHIGH..I swear I see it every fricking replay of the Klingerman catch in 1995 double OT game. I wonder if WLVT (Lehigh Valley Television, hence the initials) is going to start showing the Davis-to-Hurt TD from the 05 Lehigh-Lafayette contest in promos. Wouldn't that be nice!

jwfgeol
January 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM
You think the helmets are bad?

Have you seen their new uniforms?
http://www.cyber-tiger.com/albums/Argentina/cats_petruzio_01_chica.jpg

Marcus Garvey
January 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I could have sworn it was in the mid-90s...Gold helmets with LEHIGH..I swear I see it every fricking replay of the Klingerman catch in 1995 double OT game. I wonder if WLVT (Lehigh Valley Television, hence the initials) is going to start showing the Davis-to-Hurt TD from the 05 Lehigh-Lafayette contest in promos. Wouldn't that be nice!

It's possible that Lehigh had a helmet like that briefly in the 90's. I've never liked the addition of gold to their uniform. They should stick with brown and white.

dirtbag
January 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM

????

WHat's so bad about them?

http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/images/CustLAFAYETTE.jpg

HiHiYikas
January 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
For me, Penn State is the absolute worst. Totally BORING, like their geezer of a coach. Might as well wear leather helmet, like Joe Paterno did when he played. The local high school team in Boone changed from a nice light blue color to a Penn State look this year. The new unis were hidious and silly for a program with the reputation as being one of the worst in North Carolina prep football. Some others I don't like are any helmets that have big numbers on the side (Alabama, Georgia Southern etc.) and Dartmouth is pretty bad with the big D in the front.
Boring is good, when it comes to football helmets and unis, if you ask me. When you start to get complicated, you get the WCU helmet that inspired this thread. You get VA Tech jerseys with one orange sleeve. Schools like Alabama, Penn State, and Notre Dame have some of the best unis in college football.

If there's more than 2 colors on your helmet (3 if you count the color of the helmet itself) you're pushing it.

DC 'gater
January 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
If we're nominating, the Colgate 'flaming C' helmets in the early to mid 90s were horrible. Let me see if I can dig up a picture.

God I hated the Ed Sweeney, I'm bringing this DIII, Dickinson College, sorry a@# lookin logo with me, flaming C.

OL FU
January 5th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Boring is good, when it comes to football helmets and unis, if you ask me. When you start to get complicated, you get the WCU helmet that inspired this thread. You get VA Tech jerseys with one orange sleeve. Schools like Alabama, Penn State, and Notre Dame have some of the best unis in college football.

If there's more than 2 colors on your helmet (3 if you count the color of the helmet itself) you're pushing it.

I agree. If I wasn't a fan I might actually struggle with Furman's, but I do like the diamond. I will decide later if it is because I am a fan or if I just like it.

Now this going to be a strange one. I don't like Michigan's I think it is becase of the dark (navy) blue drab uniforms. So you would think I would not like Delaware's since they are practically the same. But because the blue in the Blue hens is bright and shiining it makes the helmets look good. :confused:

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Here's a Top 5 list for I-AA:

1. Dartmouth. No one else is even close to this hideous thing.

2. Western Carolina. The alumni would rather see them in dresses than in this helmet.

3. Richmond. A freakin' picture of a spider on the helmet! Why not rancid meat or dog vomit?

4. Eastern Washington. Take a look. 'Nuf said.

5. Colgate. "'gate" written on the side of the helmet. I am astonished and bemused every time I see it - all the way up to the end, when I see the final score. Then I am nauseous.

Honorable Mention: Delaware/Princeton (Tie). C'mon, guys. That flying wing thing was all the rage when it was done in leather and the single wing was new. It's the 21st century, fergawdsake.

dirtbag
January 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
BTW, this (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/) is a great site.

dirtbag
January 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM

2. Western Carolina. The alumni would rather see them in dresses than in this helmet.

3. Richmond. A freakin' picture of a spider on the helmet! Why not rancid meat or dog vomit?

5. Colgate. "'gate" written on the side of the helmet. I am astonished and bemused every time I see it - all the way up to the end, when I see the final score. Then I am nauseous.

Honorable Mention: Delaware/Princeton (Tie). C'mon, guys. That flying wing thing was all the rage when it was done in leather and the single wing was new. It's the 21st century, fergawdsake.

I love Dartmouth's. Very old school. Kewl. Same with Delaware/Princeton.

I like Richmond's, too. Unique, but simple.

EWU tried to hard. 'gate cracks me up, too. Definite Top-5er. If Sam Houston hadn't taken "KATS" off their helmet, they'd be up there, too. I'll put Coastal on the Top-5 list for egregious use of black and teal. Round out my Top 5 with Tennessee State for the 1970's font.

ButlerGSU
January 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM

GSU has the best helmets and uniforms in all of I-AA then.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM
God I hated the Ed Sweeney, I'm bringing this DIII, Dickinson College, sorry a@# lookin logo with me, flaming C.

You and me too brother!!!!

Marcus Garvey
January 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM

You know, when I saw those picks, I thought of Dickinson, and didn't realize why. You get what you pay for! He was successful at Dickinson because he was in a league of Middle Atlantic Conference also-rans who couldn't hack it against Widener! That's kind of like hiring a successful coach from Trinity to head your I-AA program....

Ooops, sorry Stony Brook! :smiley_wi

Ed had a pretty rough year Mt Ida. Their only win was gainst Becker, a first year DIII program.

ewu guy
January 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Yeah, Eastern's logo on the helmet is pretty horrible. They tried to model it after the W.S.C. formed in the shape of a cougar on Washington State's helmet, 'cept Wazzu made it look good.

TheValleyRaider
January 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Almost. Nothing against GSU or other schools, but I hate helmets with numbers on them. Put a logo, go blank, but the helmets should all look the same, IMHO.

Since it's being brought up, I'm not really a fan of Brown's, Elon's or Liberty's.

dirtbag
January 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
WCU reminds me of the late, great XFL:

http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/images/XFLBIR.jpg

http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/images/XFLORL.jpg

:eek:

HiHiYikas
January 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM
GASO does have some pretty good looking uniforms. I love the helmet numbers, personally. I would agree with you if it weren't for the last names on the back of the jerseys and the white stripes down the center of the helmet. When I say I like boring jerseys, I mean BORING.

The problem with the old Lafayette Helmet is the type weight. Classic serif fonts are enough of a problem on helmets - make those fonts too narrow and it looks pretty bad.

EWU is a nother example of a pretty decent, even clever, graphic that looks OK but isn't good for helmets.

Not a big fan of So. Ill's Helmet's complicated helmets. I like their jerseys, though.

ngineer
January 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The Gold helmets came at near the end of the Whitehead era. We were still in Taylor. We had white helmets in the late 60's to mid 70's with big 'LU" interlocking on side with two stripes in middle. Different stuff wit the gold until mid 90's.

SochorField
January 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Aggie unis and helmet colors havent changed in years.

New helmet logo though, since '99 I believe. I think his is one of the nicest combo's in the country.

I think EWU's are alright, but I have a problem with copying WSU.

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Aggie unis and helmet colors havent changed in years.

New helmet logo though, since '99 I believe. I think his is one of the nicest combo's in the country.

Weren't the old helmets gold with a blue "Davis" on the side?

SochorField
January 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, they were. I said the colors havent changed. The "Davis" script wasnt so great though...I like the new logo.

ngineer
January 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM

The lettering "LEHIGH" appeared on LU's helmets, which were white, in late70's and early 80's. I remember seeing photos of Lehigh's playoff game with EKY in 1980 and they were being worn then.
I would prefer to put some kind of insignia on the gold helmet. Isn't distinguished from Wofford, Notre Dame, or several others. Although I think the "old gold" color provides a nice trim to a boring Brown & White, I would prefer the white helmets.
Lehigh did go to new jerseys in 2004--brown and white with the two shoulder stripes. the gold pants have been the same for 25 years, except with the Mountain Hawk logo on the hip added in the mid-90's. I think they could put that on the helmet.

ChickenMan
January 6th, 2006, 07:42 AM

UD has had the same helmet and uniform for over 50 years... it's called tradition and it ain't about to change anytime soon.

LUHawker
January 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
UD has had the same helmet and uniform for over 50 years... it's called tradition and it ain't about to change anytime soon.

Alas, that helmut design was a stolen tradition. Princeton had the original design.

Pards Rule
January 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Is the Mountainhawk a good bird, Don?

ChickenMan
January 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Alas, that helmut design was a stolen tradition. Princeton had the original design.

After 50+ years... it hardly matters... ;)

Pard4Life
January 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
????

WHat's so bad about them?

http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/images/CustLAFAYETTE.jpg

It's disgusting... all black? When the school colors are maroon and white? It was black helmet, maroon jersey, white pants... ugly. We sometimes wear black now, but... white helmet, black jerseys, white pants... that looks very striking as our third jersey. It's hot under the helmets anyway, and I'm sure black makes it much more uncomfortable.

Pard4Life
January 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The lettering "LEHIGH" appeared on LU's helmets, which were white, in late70's and early 80's. I remember seeing photos of Lehigh's playoff game with EKY in 1980 and they were being worn then.
I would prefer to put some kind of insignia on the gold helmet. Isn't distinguished from Wofford, Notre Dame, or several others. Although I think the "old gold" color provides a nice trim to a boring Brown & White, I would prefer the white helmets.
Lehigh did go to new jerseys in 2004--brown and white with the two shoulder stripes. the gold pants have been the same for 25 years, except with the Mountain Hawk logo on the hip added in the mid-90's. I think they could put that on the helmet.

I just dug out the Lehigh media guide and checked some pics. Both Todd Brunner '90, Erik Torain '91, and Scott Semptimphelter in '93 are wearing the 'LU' SF 49ers rip-off helmets. Mike Rieker '78, John Shigo 82-83, Mike Ford are wearing the just as bad looking 'LEHIGH' helmets. And Bob Aylsworth '95 is wearing the current gold helmet with the three-striped sleeve jersey.

I like Lehigh's helmet and uniforms as they are now. Putting that Mountain Hawk 'L' on the helmet would not look that good and would be looking to rip-off the old Lafayette 'L'. Imagine 'L' and 'L' helmets lining up across from each other on the line?

HiHiYikas
January 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM
After scanning the Helmet project, my list, in no particular order...

Elon - they deserve to wear those awful helmets after dumping "Fighting Christians" as their nickname. Best nickname ever.

Eastern Illinois - Not a terrible graphic, just too complicated for the side of a helmet. Stick to words OR pictures, not both. Texas Southern has this problem.

Liberty - Not that mixing graphics with text is always a bad thing. Southern does it the best. UNI does it well, too. UNH isn't too bad, either. Liberty is an example of what happens when you mix ugly graphics with ugly text.

Bucknell - Bucknell actually has a very nice logo package, they just use too much on the helmets. Either the Bison graphic or the "B" would look great. Together it's too much. Jacksonville State has this problem.

Robert Morris - There's a HUGE difference between what looks good on letterhead and what looks good on a football helmet. (See Norfolk State)

Brown - good looking logo an a T-shirt, too much for the side of a football helmet. So. Illinois, Weber State, Iona, and Southern Utah have this problem.

Central Connecticut State - I like boring helmets, but not this kind of boring. Looks like they could only afford to buy their graphic artist Microsoft Word.

Northwestern State - The State, a letter, and a mascot? Way, way too much graphic for 40-something square inches of space. Stephen F. Austin gets it right when it comes to mixing a state outline with letters.

Mississippi Valley State - the worst of the worst. How to design this helmet: take the person responsible for designing WCU's "The Cats" helmets. Now send that person back to 1985 and take away 40% of his/her artistic ability.

There are a lot of very good ones out there too. Plenty of examples of classic simplicity that don’t need many comments (your Cornell’s, Lehigh’s, Butler’s GASO’s, etc.).

Some of the best “newer-looking” designs – Towson, Southern, Illinois State, Texas State. Western Kentucky isn’t too bad, either.

Go...gate
January 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I'm for the simple "we're all business" helmets like Alabama, PSU, ND and Georgia Southern.

Pards Rule
January 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I liked the LC "pawprint"...What years was that one used, Pard4Life (our new resident expert)

carney2
January 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Is the Mountainhawk a good bird, Don?

It's delicious!

Pards Rule
January 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
LOVE IT!! Haha! I put that there cause that was one of the most inane Howard Cosell comments I ever heard on MNF...he actually inquired " Is the Seahawk a good bird, Don"...Too bad I don't recall what Dandy Don's response was...I would have told Howard "No, cause he just ***** on your wig"

CoastalFan2005
January 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'll put Coastal on the Top-5 list for egregious use of black and teal.

It's simply a black helmet with our Chanticleer logo on it...I don't much see the problem with that myself. It's not as bad as it could have been. They could have been white, teal, or even bronze helmets with that logo, which (IMO) would have been much worse.

bodoyle
January 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Dirt: Are you sure you are not talking about our 6 different uniform combinations?? :)

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Dirt: Are you sure you are not talking about our 6 different uniform combinations?? :)

:eek:

That sounds like a whole 'nother thread!

Lafayette71
January 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM

That is a great site. I forgot we went through 3 helmets in four years. I still like the silver Helmet with the Leopard.

PantherRob82
January 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
After scanning the Helmet project, my list, in no particular order...

Liberty - Not that mixing graphics with text is always a bad thing. Southern does it the best. UNI does it well, too. UNH isn't too bad, either. Liberty is an example of what happens when you mix ugly graphics with ugly text.

UNI and UNH are the same logo. 1 different letter and slightly different cat.

bodoyle
January 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Is this what you were referring to? These unis are great. I wanna buy a jersey.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=797&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=802&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=803&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=804&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=806&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=807&stc=1

arranger101
January 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM
HOWARD UNIVERSITY..... :bang:

bandl
January 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Cool.
Idaho State has had 20 different helmet designs...that HAS to be a record....NO???

OL FU
January 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Although a few would qualify,

I think Harvard gets the most improved helmet award.

HiHiYikas
January 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
UNI and UNH are the same logo. 1 different letter and slightly different cat.

Same logo concept, I guess, but they're not that similar. UNI's is a little more helmet-friendly, if you ask me. It's simpler, has fewer details, and the sight lines taper better to the back of the helmet. Unlike a lot of other Text/Graphic combo helmets, the text and the cat actually compliment each other rather than competing. That's the main reason UNI's helmets look better than UNH's.

UNH probably has a better-looking logo, but uses too much of it on the helmet. They should take a cue from Texas State and only include the Wildcat. That would look much better.

About Coastal...not a big fan of the colors, but at least the school has a good reason for using them (think sand gold and surf teal, at least that's what I've heard). I actually really like the logo, though. The helmets would look a lot better if the Chant's head were the only thing on it. Keep the shoulders and elbow on T-shirts and whatever, but drop them from the helmet and you've got a much sleeker design.

Something like this....

dirtbag
January 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Although a few would qualify,

I think Harvard gets the most improved helmet award.

I think Sam Houston gets it for getting "KATS" off their helmet.

carney2
January 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
That is a great site. I forgot we went through 3 helmets in four years. I still like the silver Helmet with the Leopard.

Not my personal favorite.

Didn't Russo have a straight silver version for one or two years?

HiHiYikas
January 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think Sam Houston gets it for getting "KATS" off their helmet.
Agreed...I like the improvements made by Monmouth and Texas State, also.

Texas State might just be my favorite helmet.

leatherneck177
January 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Damn that WCU helmet looks terrible. What happened to teams putting the old WCU on the helmet with a stripe in their colors?

carney2
January 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Not my personal favorite.

Didn't Russo have a straight silver version for one or two years?

Answering my own question: According to the site that shows all of the helmets, that God awful solid silver helmet was used during the 1999 season. If it was still around, it would have been on my Top (actually, Bottom) 5 list.

ISUMatt
January 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Personally Im not a fan of the following helmets:
http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/4071/dartmouth9ix.gif (http://imageshack.us)-Dartmouth
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9248/easternkentucky4ii.gif (http://imageshack.us)-Eastern Kentucky
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7153/gardnerwebb0tj.gif (http://imageshack.us)-Gardner-Webb
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4369/rhodeisland4vu.gif (http://imageshack.us)-Rhode Island
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4567/westerncarolina0sm.gif (http://imageshack.us)-Western Carolina

nlwwln
January 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM
those seem to be pretty accurate

SuperJon
January 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
The coach at my high school is a WCU graduate. Our mascot is the Wildcats. Guess what our helmets look like. Yup, you got it. They usta be gold with the purple logo on it and now they're exactly like the WCU helmet now.

They've also used that design for our new little league football team too.

WCU LawCat
January 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I really don't see why everyone hates our helmet so much. At WCU we like being a little different. From what I understand, the players like the helmet. I hate copycat hemets like the block W we used for 2 seasons that looked just like Washington. I do like the 1989 LSU style helmet that we used but I can't get past the fact that its a copy.

Pard4Life
January 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I liked the LC "pawprint"...What years was that one used, Pard4Life (our new resident expert)

I appreciate the comment :) . I have no clue actually ... I just know of the black helmets and the old grey helemts w/ the Leopards. But I'd throw in a guess of early 70s, 60s... before the grey helmets. Our media guids is not too littered with old pictures and stats so I can't look it up.

Pards Rule
January 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I do know Bill Russo introduced the pawprint during his tenure (I think late 80s?) as that was a popular logo back then...I think lasted a few years. Might have had an "LC" inside the pawprint.

HiHiYikas
January 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I do know Bill Russo introduced the pawprint during his tenure (I think late 80s?) as that was a popular logo back then...I think lasted a few years. Might have had an "LC" inside the pawprint.
Helmet project has this helmet listed as circa 1982.

LeopardFan04
January 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I would guess '82 as being the correct year, as it was LC's 100th year of football...and my first season alive... :)

100th post! :hurray:

carney2
January 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I really don't see why everyone hates our helmet so much. At WCU we like being a little different.

Let me guess: You weren't an art appreciation major.

Pard4Life
January 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Quite nice, glad you found it HiYikas. I'd say let's use it today, but put a black stripe down the middle, with maroon stripe on each side, and the paw outlined in black.. no numbers. I think we would be copying Brown too much though.. I like the fat 'L'.

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Some others I don't like are any helmets that have big numbers on the side (Alabama, Georgia Southern etc.)
Personally, they're my favorite!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizo406
January 8th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Personally, they're my favorite!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine too, Kill'em.

Gotta' love the old school!

smarterray
January 8th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Weren't the old helmets gold with a blue "Davis" on the side?

Here are our helmets from throughout the years:

http://louie.stuaff.ucdavis.edu/ICA/FOOTBALL/Grid_Club/gridclub.gif

I am more fond of simple, non-flashy logos because they seem a lot more collegiate (i.e. the old helmet with "Davis" in script). The newer Cal Aggie mustang is also fine with me since it's simple yet dynamic.

WCU LawCat
January 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Let me guess: You weren't an art appreciation major.

Not even close!

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
One other thing, Penn St's helmets were mentioned. I agree I don't like them now. I thought they looked good in the years when they had numbers on them.

By the way, if van Gorder were to make any changes to the helmets, there would be riots in the streets of Statesboro. The same in Happy Valley!

DotCat
January 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I agree, I hate our current helments and I hate being called "The Cat's". The reason "The Cat's" returned to the helments is because Kent Briggs brought it back when he became head coach paying tribute to the past and the legendary Bob Waters who's Catamount squads had "The Cat's" written in script on their helments. Regardless of history, I still hate being called "The Cat's", we are Catamounts and that's that!!!

Here is my favorite helment, but many think it is ugly as heck.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Football_Helmet_Evolution/lsumockweb.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!

OL FU
January 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I agree, I hate our current helments and I hate being called "The Cat's". The reason "The Cat's" returned to the helments is because Kent Briggs brought it back when he became head coach paying tribute to the past and the legendary Bob Waters who's Catamount squads had "The Cat's" written in script on their helments. Regardless of history, I still hate being called "The Cat's", we are Catamounts and that's that!!!

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Football_Helmet_Evolution/lsumockweb.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!

It still would not rate as one of my favorites, but it sure beats the heck outta the other one.

HiHiYikas
January 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I LOVE IT!!!
That's a good-looing helmet, I think. Symmetrical, fairly simple, it's not oversized, it's a rare case in which text and graphics compliment rather than competing, it's not too busy. Nothing wrong with it at all. It would actually look pretty good if you guys went to something like that with the newer drawing of the Catamount. That's a pretty strong graphic.

"The Cats" on your helmets only reminds me of Davidson. That's a connection you'd probably rather do without.

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I liked the simple purple with the "W" on it.

LacesOut
January 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Agreed. As a UD fan I can't stand their uni's. The yellow pants and winged helmet suck!

And old blue haired UD fans say tradition tradition tradition. Baloney. UD tradition to me was Tubby Raymond and the Wing T offense. Guess what?? Both of those are gone. So tradition my butt. Change the uni's KC!!! DO IT DO IT!

Pards Rule
January 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Quite nice, glad you found it HiYikas. I'd say let's use it today, but put a black stripe down the middle, with maroon stripe on each side, and the paw outlined in black.. no numbers. I think we would be copying Brown too much though.. I like the fat 'L'.

Agreed! Love the concept. Can anybody try to construct an avatar of it?

HiHiYikas
January 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Like so?

Pard4Life
January 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM

This is off the subject and old news, but who made possible the black jerseys in the 2004 Lehigh game? Tavani said it was 'an anonymous big supporter'. I am assuming Burger? or Kirby?

I thought of that because the helmet could be a 'special' game treat one day. Speaking of... how about a throwback uniform day, a-la Columbia vs. Penn in 2003, when we open the new Fisher Field with turf and lights?

Pards Rule
January 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Pard4Life, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT...I would do the new helmets the first night game vs. Penn 9/16/06...The throwbacks we can save for Lehigh. Whats key is winning this UPenn game. I hope SOMEONE reads AGS with clout at LC.

Pard4Life
January 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Pard4Life, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT...I would do the new helmets the first night game vs. Penn 9/16/06...The throwbacks we can save for Lehigh. Whats key is winning this UPenn game. I hope SOMEONE reads AGS with clout at LC.

I'd say to bring out the throwbacks the first night game to add an extra flair to the atmosphere... the stadium would be visually and asthetically enriched, including the field.. so complement that with unique throwback uniforms and you have something truly dynamic on the field. Maybe that would help us beat Penn. And, if that game is at night, it might get the team super-pumped anyhow. It's good we play a big game first (Bucknell), so the team is focused on what we have to do each week. If you save the unis for Lehigh, I'd say have it be a surprise.. like the black jerseys.. to get the team fired up.

Hopefully a trustee or big donor reads the boards. But then again no, they probably work their tails of at work and don't putts around on here during the day or night.. they have to get the money somehow... I hope Griffith does.. he is retired, and I think he is a sports fan.

GannonFan
January 10th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Agreed. As a UD fan I can't stand their uni's. The yellow pants and winged helmet suck!

And old blue haired UD fans say tradition tradition tradition. Baloney. UD tradition to me was Tubby Raymond and the Wing T offense. Guess what?? Both of those are gone. So tradition my butt. Change the uni's KC!!! DO IT DO IT!

Nah, as a life long UD fan, I like it the way it is. Besides, having the same gear as Michigan means I can shop at their bookstore site and get a wide range of UD-looking stuff - gott be practical here - the UD bookstore sucks and I would be real limited with an original concept. It works, I like it, don't change it.

Go...gate
January 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Get Penn involved in that throwback on 9/16/06 - I always kind of liked their old-style uniforms with the red and blue stripes on the sleeves.

carney2
January 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Pard4Life, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT...I would do the new helmets the first night game vs. Penn 9/16/06...

You keep saying this. Where is it written that there will be lights? Where is it written that there will be "new" anything other than grass seed? WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE? Inquiring minds really - REALLY - want to know.

Leopard's Claw
January 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
architect's drawings, designs, and time lines to be unveiled during the first recruiting weekend...which coincides with the home Lafayette-Lehigh basketball doubleheaders...and potentially the championship ring delivery. By the way- have any of you wanting new helmets unveiled at moment's notice taken into consideration the importance of actually wearing a helmet for a practice or two to "break it in"? Especially with the many adjustments of the current Revolutions & Riddells; it's not your old standard Bike (do they even make them any more?) inflate it and go helmet

HiHiYikas
January 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM
tried to post this earlier, wouldn't work...another shot...is this what youre describing?

Pards Rule
January 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM
OMG!! EXACTLY!!!!! Just maybe put an "LC" inside pawprint. Then I LOVE it! Carney, Pard4Life, Pard94 can you put it in front of any LC folks?

carney2
January 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM
architect's drawings, designs, and time lines to be unveiled during the first recruiting weekend...which coincides with the home Lafayette-Lehigh basketball doubleheaders...and potentially the championship ring delivery. By the way- have any of you wanting new helmets unveiled at moment's notice taken into consideration the importance of actually wearing a helmet for a practice or two to "break it in"? Especially with the many adjustments of the current Revolutions & Riddells; it's not your old standard Bike (do they even make them any more?) inflate it and go helmet

I hope you're right because something - ANYTHING - needs to be done. The lights thing is intriguing. It gives rise to a whole new category of excuses for not beating Ivy League teams: "I lost it in the lights."

Not enthralled with the paw print helmet. At best, I'd call it a draw between that and the current slanted L.

Pards Rule
January 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Try it for a few years, Carney, and it will grow on you.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM

So you are saying this unvieling will be January 21? That's the Lehigh game date. I was thinking that the ring ceremony would be the same situation as last year (Lehigh game), but isn't the 21st a bit early to involve anything spectacular? All of the students are just getting back to campus from break, and I think that weekend would be one of the four trustee meetings.. not to mention some other non-trustee activities. The only February dates would be HC, Bucknell, Army, American, with HC and American being weekend dates. If it was the Lehigh game, I'd expect an announcement by now. Plus, the ring ceremony coincided with the dinner last year, and I don't know when that is this year.

And yes, the stadium is a reality. I think the final hurdle is a last bit of funding. Of course, why would you announce funding if it's not 100 percent there. But yes, plans are in the works. I only knew partial details of the plan in the fall and an athletic administrator told me some details that I wasn't even aware of... so yes, it's real.

And that's what spring practice is.. breaking in time. If it were to be real, I guess that's when you'd get them into use if it were to be a seasonal thing. But Columbia wore throwback helmets for one game only so maybe they just wore them for the weekly practice.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Get Penn involved in that throwback on 9/16/06 - I always kind of liked their old-style uniforms with the red and blue stripes on the sleeves.

Nice idea, but I don't know if Penn would play along... they didn't for the Columbia game. They'd probably only break'em out for their home games... makes sense to me. But if you want a large visiting crowd...

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM
. But Columbia wore throwback helmets for one game only so maybe they just wore them for the weekly practice.

Or maybe they just had their regular helmets repainted/decal-ed? :confused:

I have a hard time believing any program is going to go out and buy 100 helmets or so for one game.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Or maybe they just had their regular helmets repainted/decal-ed? :confused:

I have a hard time believing any program is going to go out and buy 100 helmets or so for one game.

I was also thinking that... I don't know the first thing about helmet paint schemes. Maybe if our helmets are old we could get the new ones?

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM
tried to post this earlier, wouldn't work...another shot...is this what youre describing?

Yup, pretty much like that.. except I think the computer is showing the maroon a bit strangely. I don't know about the 'LC' part... it made me think of the Lehigh 'SF 49ers'-look rip-off. This would a good toss-up between the L. Actually, I think we have pawprints on some of the school's merchendise, so we don't have to look far for designs if the above paw looks too much like Brown to some.

HiHiYikas
January 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I am afraid that ASU might soon discontinue the use of the black helmets with the white "A" athletic logo. I could see lots of folks in the Athletic department wanting to update and use the newest manifestation of Yosef on the helmets.

Not that it would be a bad looking helmet. Then again, I'm sure lots of talented designers could have come up with good-looking Georgia Southern helmets in the past 20 years (their recently-updated athletic logo package is very nice). But when you've got a fairly simple design and it works, there's no reason to change it.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
For the record, here is what Columbia did...

https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/cu/alumni/images/cu_home_football_homecoming_edit.jpg

GannonFan
January 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
For the record, here is what Columbia did...

https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/cu/alumni/images/cu_home_football_homecoming_edit.jpg

Man is that ugly. That alone would turn me off to any throwback ideas. I always thought a lot of the NFL throwbacks (when they were doing that) were pretty ugly too. Unlike baseball, where the older uniforms were sometimes better, football uniforms have gotten better with age (well, except for WCU's helmet design, but that was already discussed).

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Man is that ugly. That alone would turn me off to any throwback ideas. I always thought a lot of the NFL throwbacks (when they were doing that) were pretty ugly too. Unlike baseball, where the older uniforms were sometimes better, football uniforms have gotten better with age (well, except for WCU's helmet design, but that was already discussed).

However, that game attracted the biggest crowd in Wein Stadiums history... just short of 14,000 fans. I'm an old-school football uniform fan... from like pre1945. Anything from the 1970s in ANY sport is unsightly. Same thing with baseball.. just one response to that...

http://www.otpro.com/Houston%20Astros%201980%20HomeRYAN34.jpg

the jerseys remind of a gas station attendant... and even my local guy is better dressed than Nolan Ryan ever was in Houston.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Looking at the Columbia picture, they normally have white helmets. They can go 'old school' by removing the stripe and the lion and putting numbers on. If the game is the opener, they could actually do it reversed which is easier because then you only have to make the change once instead of twice.

No need for special helmets there.