PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network: Top 10 FCS QBs

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
The new Sports Network writer is hitting the ground running, his latest on the top 10 FCS quarterbacks...the lead of which is Jeremy Moses of Stephen F. Austin.

Jeremy Moses drives around campus at Stephen F. Austin in his black 2007 Toyota Corolla. At Homer Bryce Stadium, though, he has the keys to the fastest engine in the FCS.

As their record-setting quarterback, Moses revs the Lumberjacks' run-and-gun spread offense. In 2008 and 2009, he threw for an almost ridiculous 41 and 40 touchdowns, respectively, and he set NCAA single-game records for pass attempts (85) and completions (57) in a 2008 game against Sam Houston State.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4309307

DetroitFlyer
May 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Dude has not seen Dayton's Steve Valentino play I guess.... You know, the PFL offensive player of the year last season who will be returning for a 5th year in 2010?

I'm thinking that as he was hitting the ground running, he tripped and fell flat on his face....

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Dude has not seen Dayton's Steve Valentino play I guess.... You know, the PFL offensive player of the year last season who will be returning for a 5th year in 2010?

I'm thinking that as he was hitting the ground running, he tripped and fell flat on his face....

I do not think you can take anything away from the 10 QBs listed...

If they are not amongst the passing leaders from a year ago, they are FBS transfers (which any sports writer would flock to), etc....

Valentino is the third-best returning player in total offense, but he surprisingly only had one game of over 300 yards against PFL competition.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
The new Sports Network writer is hitting the ground running, his latest on the top 10 FCS quarterbacks...the lead of which is Jeremy Moses of Stephen F. Austin.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4309307

This list is not bad overall but here are the couple of things that stuck out to me.

1. Aaron Corp is only on here because he was once at USC and has all the hype from the HS recruiting services. He should be in another category for top newcomers.

2. Moses throws way too many picks to be first. When you throw 20 plus interceptions it is hard to be labeled the best at your position.

3. I also think he should have expanded the rankings to the top 20 or 25. He needs to be more detailed on his write-ups and expand the rankings but I did think this was a solid first effort.

4. Here are some names that could have been in the rankings if it has listed the top 20-25.

Andrew Selle, Montana, Sr.
Josh McGregor, Jacksonville, Jr.
Greg Sullivan, Colgate, Sr.
Steve Valentino, Dayton, Sr.
Arvell Nelson, Texas Southern, Sr.
Chris Dieker, Southern Illinois, Sr.
Drew Hubel, Portland State, Sr.
B.J. Coleman, UTC, Jr.
Dustin Taliaferro, Samford, Jr.
T.J. Pryor, Eastern Kentucky, Soph.
Nick Doscher, Wagner, Soph.

danefan
May 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Nick Doscher is a legit QB. He'll be one to watch for sure in the next 3 years.

DetroitFlyer
May 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I do not think you can take anything away from the 10 QBs listed...

If they are not amongst the passing leaders from a year ago, they are FBS transfers (which any sports writer would flock to), etc....

Valentino is the third-best returning player in total offense, but he surprisingly only had one game of over 300 yards against PFL competition.

Third best in TOTAL OFFENSE AND 2009, PFL offensive player of the year.... Why must you continue to hammer the PFL with IGNORANT comments like "against PFL competition"? That is getting very old. Grow up some and give up that nonsense!

bostonspider
May 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Interesting that he picked Corp. As far as we Spider fans know, Corp has not yet won the starting job from Laub. It will be interesting to see how he turns out, as well as if UR has the OL to protect him.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Three CAA QBs, including one that has yet to play his first snap?

Selle is better than Devlin and Corp. That's just wrong that he's not on there.

CrunchGriz
May 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Three CAA QBs, including one that has yet to play his first snap?

Selle is better than Devlin and Corp. That's just wrong that he's not on there.

Especially considering the facts that Selle will not be splitting time, like he did with Justin Roper during the regular season last year (Selle has already been named the starter for this coming season), and that Montana is going to a spread passing attack this year, so he will almost certainly throw for a lot more yards this year than last year when the Griz were a very balanced run-pass team.

The only areas statistically in which he didn't match up quite as well last year compared to some of the other mentioned quarterbacks were TDs and total passing yards, and both of those should improve markedly because of the facts I noted above. He is already the second-highest ranked QB returning this year for QB efficiency, and his TD/Interception ratio was also one of the best of the returning QBs in the division (28/6).

He did lose Miracle Marc Mariani to the Tennessee Titans, but the Griz have some good young talent ready to step up.

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Third best in TOTAL OFFENSE AND 2009, PFL offensive player of the year.... Why must you continue to hammer the PFL with IGNORANT comments like "against PFL competition"? That is getting very old. Grow up some and give up that nonsense!

I was just surprised that he only threw for 300 yards in one game...

And my remarks regarding PFL competition have everything to do with the league's standing in the world of FCS. The kid may be good, but how would he do against a schedule of all full-scholarship schools?

Grizzaholic
May 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I was just surprised that he only threw for 300 yards in one game...

And my remarks regarding PFL competition have everything to do with the league's standing in the world of FCS. The kid may be good, but how would he do against a schedule of all full-scholarship schools?

If no one knows, why knock it?

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
If no one knows, why knock it?

It's sort of like what Mack Brown says about Colt McCoy...

He was undersized and an underdog, coming from a smaller school (2A in Texas, I believe). No one knew what to make of him and all he does is win...

The Dayton QB may be the same, the difference is that unlike McCoy who played on college football's biggest stage, the Dayton QB has yet to play on even the biggest stage at the subdivision for which he is at.

While McCoy was going against Oklahomas and Nebraskas of the FBS...Dayton goes against the Jacksonvilles and Drakes of the FCS...

Hard to prove one's worth until they are on the stage.

JohnStOnge
May 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Moses throws way too many picks to be first. When you throw 20 plus interceptions it is hard to be labeled the best at your position.

When I saw the opinion that Moses is the top returning QB in FCS my initial reaction was "you've GOT to be kidding." During the one game in which I watched him last season he was 18 of 34 for 226 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. He looked like a very average quarterback to me.

I realize he rang up some pretty big stats but I think it's because he plays in a gimmick Texas Tech style offense. I guess he should be in the conversation as one of the top 10 in FCS but the best? If he's the best coming back in FCS then FCS has a quarterback problem.

BTW I also saw the guy at New Hampshire and think he's WAY better than Moses is. I don't think it's even close.

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I have to go with Pat Devlin as the top QB going into this year. He was very impressive against a superb W&M defense last year, and produced the only 300 yard total offensive day against the Tribe (exactly 300 yards). He was 33-49 for 302 passing with 3 TDs and no INTs. With -2 rushing, he accounted for every Delaware yard gained. Constantly harrassed, and sacked 5 times, he showed poise, excellent decision making, and strength. He also throws a beautiful ball, and manages trajectory very well. The only QBs I saw against W&M last year who were even close to him were Chris Whitney and Eric Ward. Cameron Higgins and RJ Toman both crashed and burned against that D.

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I have to go with Pat Devlin as the top QB going into this year. He was very impressive against a superb W&M defense last year, and produced the only 300 yard total offensive day against the Tribe (exactly 300 yards). He was 33-49 for 302 passing with 3 TDs and no INTs. With -2 rushing, he accounted for every Delaware yard gained. Constantly harrassed, and sacked 5 times, he showed poise, excellent decision making, and strength. He also throws a beautiful ball, and manages trajectory very well. The only QBs I saw against W&M last year who were even close to him were Chris Whitney and Eric Ward. Cameron Higgins and RJ Toman both crashed and burned against that D.

And to think he did that against a defense with two draft picks and three players who got in NFL camps already. Would not be surprised if 2-3 underclassmen from that defense eventually get shots in the NFL as well.

McNeese75
May 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
When I saw the opinion that Moses is the top returning QB in FCS my initial reaction was "you've GOT to be kidding." During the one game in which I watched him last season he was 18 of 34 for 226 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. He looked like a very average quarterback to me.

I realize he rang up some pretty big stats but I think it's because he plays in a gimmick Texas Tech style offense. I guess he should be in the conversation as one of the top 10 in FCS but the best? If he's the best coming back in FCS then FCS has a quarterback problem.

BTW I also saw the guy at New Hampshire and think he's WAY better than Moses is. I don't think it's even close.

I concur but of course we will know more about him this year with Sicko gone.

Squealofthepig
May 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I think the point here is getting lost, so want to restate it:

The new Sports Network article is actually engaging and not factually incorrect on its face.

This is a mondo step forward, and I do hope it continues!

(Homer note: Of course I'd throw Selle out there, but think this is a respectable list. Think there's a good balance of established players and really promising newcomers. It's up to next season to see how accurate this all is!)

Head Cat
May 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Engaging? To me, this was FCS Lite. The article was very lacking in depth. Jeremy Moses isn't close to the best QB in FCS. He throws WAY too many interceptions to be at the top. I wonder if this guy has even ever seen Moses, or the other QBs play?

Houndawg
May 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
This list is not bad overall but here are the couple of things that stuck out to me.

1. Aaron Corp is only on here because he was once at USC and has all the hype from the HS recruiting services. He should be in another category for top newcomers.

2. Moses throws way too many picks to be first. When you throw 20 plus interceptions it is hard to be labeled the best at your position.

3. I also think he should have expanded the rankings to the top 20 or 25. He needs to be more detailed on his write-ups and expand the rankings but I did think this was a solid first effort.

4. Here are some names that could have been in the rankings if it has listed the top 20-25.

Andrew Selle, Montana, Sr.
Josh McGregor, Jacksonville, Jr.
Greg Sullivan, Colgate, Sr.
Steve Valentino, Dayton, Sr.
Arvell Nelson, Texas Southern, Sr.
Chris Dieker, Southern Illinois, Sr.
Drew Hubel, Portland State, Sr.
B.J. Coleman, UTC, Jr.
Dustin Taliaferro, Samford, Jr.
T.J. Pryor, Eastern Kentucky, Soph.
Nick Doscher, Wagner, Soph.

Dieker is as good as Toman, not as quick but stronger arm.