PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Powers

Saint3333
May 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
A couple of questions during the down period:

Over/Under when will the historical SoCo powers get back to the top 10 in the FCS?

Furman - with Lamb as the coach it may not happen, he's gone after this year - 2011

GSU - a switch back to the triple option will likely take 2 if not 3 years - 2011

Over/Under when will Wofford return to the playoffs?

My guess is next year, 2011 at the latest

Will Elon make the playoffs in 2010?

Should have a solid defense, but their offensive line will be a problem, they'll be close under a 20 team scenario

Surprise of the 2010 season?

UTC finishes in the top 4 - they scare me as ASU opens at Nooga

AppAlum2003
May 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Doesn't matter - they still would be a last place CAA team.

OL FU
May 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Don't count FU out this year. I don't think we hit the top ten but the O should be as strong this year as last (31 points per game). The defense improves slightly ( and I think based on what I saw in the spring game it will be more than slight) FU is 7-4 . With substantial defensive improvements (which doesn't have to mean a great defense) then 8-3 year and in the playoffs.

If we are 6-5 again, I think we have a new coach. 7-4 will simply complicate the issue.

Plenty of room to argue whether Bobby will be able to get Furman back on top and keep them there, but I think this year things are working in his favor.

Wofford would have been good last year if not beat up by injuries.

GSU, it will take 2 to 3 years at least. But I think they are finally back on the right track.

Chatt hasn't been a power since the early 80s but once again on the right track. If they can keep the coach, I think success is around the corner.

PhoenixPhan06
May 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I think getting to the playoffs was a huge morale boost for our guys and they now see they can make it in. Having the extra 4 spots may help if we slip up a bit in SoCon play, but I see us making the field in 2010 and building on the momentum from 2009.

We'll be better than most think on our OL with a mix of Sr's and Jr's, most of them having redshirted a year so I'm expecting little drop off there. My big question mark is the WR position and who'll step up to fill the void left by All-Everything Terrell Hudgins. I see it as being more of a replacement by committee approach with Camp, Jeffcoat, Mellette, Rorie, and Peterson increasing their roles.

biggie
May 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Interested to see if Elon can overcome the losses. Believe Riddle will look worse without Hudgins and the lack of OL won't help.

blazrdog#1
May 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
of SAMFORD UNIVERSITY are going to put the hurt on ALL of you this year!!xeekx:Dxbowx

OL FU
May 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The Samford game is a critical one (aren't they all) for FU's success this year. Hate to make assumptions (but you have to when doing this), but assuming that FU wins its home games, the away games are tough . ASU, Elon, WC and Samford. In order to be 8-3 FU has to pick up two of those. We have squeaked by Samford two years in a row. We don't need another close one.

JDC325
May 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
To much talent in GA and FLA for GSU not to return with a good coach. If our AD and President keep to themselves for the next two to three years we will be back.

ThompsonThe
May 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
To much talent in GA and FLA for GSU not to return with a good coach. If our AD and President keep to themselves for the next two to three years we will be back.

Your AD should be offered a "Hobo's Ride" out of town on the nearest train. He has not helped your program in my humble opinion. Time to see you guys come back. We need to beat up on the CAA together.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Don't count FU out this year. I don't think we hit the top ten but the O should be as strong this year as last (31 points per game). The defense improves slightly ( and I think based on what I saw in the spring game it will be more than slight) FU is 7-4 . With substantial defensive improvements (which doesn't have to mean a great defense) then 8-3 year and in the playoffs.

If we are 6-5 again, I think we have a new coach. 7-4 will simply complicate the issue.

Plenty of room to argue whether Bobby will be able to get Furman back on top and keep them there, but I think this year things are working in his favor.

Wofford would have been good last year if not beat up by injuries.

GSU, it will take 2 to 3 years at least. But I think they are finally back on the right track.

Chatt hasn't been a power since the early 80s but once again on the right track. If they can keep the coach, I think success is around the corner.

Its easy to count the Furman-Lamb crowd out. For a long time, I thought the Paladins were pretty content with the status quo. That was, until Lamb fired his defensive line coach and long-time defensive coordiantor. That suggests to me the Paladins are in "win now" mode. Lamb knows he can't afford another 6-5 season.

Furman, I think, has one "definite loss" on the schedule in USC. After that, I think they should be in every other game.

Saint3333
May 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I agree Furman should be in all the other games, however we all know Bobby will find a way to screw up at least two of those, hopefully one of those is in Boone.

Reign of Terrier
May 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have no idea who will win it this year. It should be interesting

whoanellie
May 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM
A couple of questions during the down period:

Over/Under when will the historical SoCo powers get back to the top 10 in the FCS?

Furman - with Lamb as the coach it may not happen, he's gone after this year - 2011

GSU - a switch back to the triple option will likely take 2 if not 3 years - 2011

Over/Under when will Wofford return to the playoffs?

My guess is next year, 2011 at the latest

Will Elon make the playoffs in 2010?

Should have a solid defense, but their offensive line will be a problem, they'll be close under a 20 team scenario

Surprise of the 2010 season?

UTC finishes in the top 4 - they scare me as ASU opens at Nooga

Well shoot you already got it figured out so I imagine you think that there is no need to play the season!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Let's not forget that Furman was 6-5, and two losses were to BCS teams. The only question mark will be Forcier. If he turns out to be a pretty good QB, they'll get there. Furman can win the SoCon if Forcier becomes as good as some think.

GSU could sneak into the playoffs this year, but it will depend on some things coming together and our offensive players fitting into the system. Paul Johnson was picked to finish last in the ACC preseason in 2008 and came very close to getting to the ACCCG. Of course they were lucky to have a decent number of guys on offense who fit into the system and bought into it. On the other hand it wouldn't surprising for us to only win 3 of 4 conference games, too.

I think it's at least 2011 before Wofford can get back, even with all of the injured players coming back. I'm not real big on their skill-position players. Maybe Kass or one of the younger QBs can get that offense back on track.

Elon will finish in the top 4 this year but won't make the playoffs. Sorry, but Hudgins was a huge part of that offense.

I don't think Chatty will be an FCS power any time soon, though I do think Huesman will give them some of the best teams they have had in a long time.

whoanellie
May 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Interested to see if Elon can overcome the losses. Believe Riddle will look worse without Hudgins and the lack of OL won't help. I beg to differ , looking at Riddle's track record he could be better with additional targets and a very solid stable of backs... team speed is much faster ALL SoCon LB JJ Jones is ahead of schedule and has a wealth of talent around him... Scott Riddle is a winner a 4 year starter and will find a way to win... Remember him getting off the deck and leading the winning drive vs Ga South?

Gringer1
May 8th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I beg to differ , looking at Riddle's track record he could be better with additional targets and a very solid stable of backs... team speed is much faster ALL SoCon LB JJ Jones is ahead of schedule and has a wealth of talent around him... Scott Riddle is a winner a 4 year starter and will find a way to win... Remember him getting off the deck and leading the winning drive vs Ga South?

By throwing to Hudgins?;)

I do think Elon will be good this year, but they'll find it harder than expected without the A1 receiver.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I also remember Riddle, throwing in the towel vs. ASU last year in the 2nd quarter. Elon's rushing yards were a product of defenses having to specifically account for Hudgins and a good o-line (3 of which are gone). Elon will go as their oline goes this year.

mrklean
May 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Your AD should be offered a "Hobo's Ride" out of town on the nearest train. He has not helped your program in my humble opinion. Time to see you guys come back. We need to beat up on the CAA together.

AMEN TO THATxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I beg to differ , looking at Riddle's track record he could be better with additional targets and a very solid stable of backs... team speed is much faster ALL SoCon LB JJ Jones is ahead of schedule and has a wealth of talent around him... Scott Riddle is a winner a 4 year starter and will find a way to win... Remember him getting off the deck and leading the winning drive vs Ga South?

I agree that Riddle is a great player. I do think they will miss Hudgins, though.

Example: In 2009 Elon managed one offensive touchdown against Furman. Elon had 423 yards of offense. Hudgins had 16 catches for 209 of those 423 yards and the only touchdown. He kept drive after drive alive with tough third down catch after tough third down catch.

Now, without Hudgins, does Elon still win that game? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Guys like that are hard to replace. In looking back, I can remember only one receiver at Furman that was the "go-to you can't cover him on third downs" guy, and that was Bear Reinhart way back in 2002.

Like Armanti Edwards, Jayson Foster, Jerome Felton, Andre Roberts, etc. you don't just replace Terrell Hudgins. Elon will have to find a couple of guys that can, for instance, replace 16 catches and half their offense in a tight game against Furman. If they can, I like their chances. I don't think they can ride the Riddle train all the way to a SoCon championship though. Someone else has got to help him out.

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Let's not forget that Furman was 6-5, and two losses were to BCS teams. The only question mark will be Forcier. If he turns out to be a pretty good QB, they'll get there. Furman can win the SoCon if Forcier becomes as good as some think.

GSU could sneak into the playoffs this year, but it will depend on some things coming together and our offensive players fitting into the system. Paul Johnson was picked to finish last in the ACC preseason in 2008 and came very close to getting to the ACCCG. Of course they were lucky to have a decent number of guys on offense who fit into the system and bought into it. On the other hand it wouldn't surprising for us to only win 3 of 4 conference games, too.

I think it's at least 2011 before Wofford can get back, even with all of the injured players coming back. I'm not real big on their skill-position players. Maybe Kass or one of the younger QBs can get that offense back on track.

Elon will finish in the top 4 this year but won't make the playoffs. Sorry, but Hudgins was a huge part of that offense.

I don't think Chatty will be an FCS power any time soon, though I do think Huesman will give them some of the best teams they have had in a long time.

The Forcier question will be an interesting one. If he's as good as we hope, Furman could have a very tough offense to defend when you factor in the talent around him. However, at this stage, he's not even been named the starter yet and, by all accounts, is being given a run for his money by fifth year senior Cody Worley, a talented athlete in his own rights.

I did see what Forcier is capable of against Auburn in the second half of that game. He's got a great arm and he can definitely scoot. I think there are questions about his ability to hang on to the football, but those are the type "good with the bad" sacrifices you get with a running-type QB.

Unfortunately, my fear is that our OC, who is one of those guys that seems to over-complicate things, will make things too complex trying to utilize all of Forcier's skills. If you've watched Furman play recently, you know our offense will come out in double wings, power I, spread option, and pistol...all in the same series. I'm hoping we stick him under center, put Uhaa and Brown/Williams behind him, and just run the option all day long.

whoanellie
May 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I also remember Riddle, throwing in the towel vs. ASU last year in the 2nd quarter. Elon's rushing yards were a product of defenses having to specifically account for Hudgins and a good o-line (3 of which are gone). Elon will go as their oline goes this year.
I don't believe he did such a thing, but 3 interceptions 2 of which were tip balls turned the game around... for sure I'm positive that you see your game from a different perspective than mine. Trying to replace all-time greats is something 114 other squads are wishing they had. AE and T-Mobile were special in their own right. But top coaching minds (Lembo & Moore) have retooled and adapted their squads. I believe with talent on hand Elon will be a part of the playoff conversation. Much to App fans disgust...

eaglewraith
May 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM

More like GT had a really good defensive unit that kept them in the thick of things. Take away that defense and GT would have suffered greatly that first year.

Granted they got lucky with Dwyer just being a beast in the system and some of the A-Backs taking to it really well, but I'm surprised the offense did as well as it did when the OL played so weak.

Like GT in 08 we're going to have to lean on our defense a lot this year.

OL FU
May 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I am sure some one says it every year but this year it seems to be true, should be an interesting year. The two top teams in the conference losing they major stars. I think the conference will be closer than it has the last three years. App should be a little weaker but certainly looking to repeat. Elon maybe the same but I think most guess a little weaker. Everyone else with the possible exception of the Citadel and GSU should be better.

Could be a scramble between ASU, Elon, FU, WC, Samford and maybe Chatt. Although I would probably put the first 4 listed as the biggest scramble.

PaladinFan
May 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I am sure some one says it every year but this year it seems to be true, should be an interesting year. The two top teams in the conference losing they major stars. I think the conference will be closer than it has the last three years. App should be a little weaker but certainly looking to repeat. Elon maybe the same but I think most guess a little weaker. Everyone else with the possible exception of the Citadel and GSU should be better.

Could be a scramble between ASU, Elon, FU, WC, Samford and maybe Chatt. Although I would probably put the first 4 listed as the biggest scramble.

Agreed.

No one seems to be talking about Chattanooga. They made a huge improvement last year and might be in a position to upset a team or two again this year.

AtlantaMountaineer
May 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Agree with your summation. Thankfully, App will have the frist three at home this year.

Saint3333
May 10th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Agreed.

No one seems to be talking about Chattanooga. They made a huge improvement last year and might be in a position to upset a team or two again this year.

I predicted UTC to be in the top half of the SoCon in 2010 in the initial post.

Head Cat
May 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My guess would be Appalachian State in first, with Elon probably another playoff team. Furman would be my pick for third, but with a bunch of teams competing for that third spot. With 20 teams in this year's playoffs, it would be shocking for the SoCon not to get three bids.

OL FU
May 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
My guess would be Appalachian State in first, with Elon probably another playoff team. Furman would be my pick for third, but with a bunch of teams competing for that third spot. With 20 teams in this year's playoffs, it would be shocking for the SoCon not to get three bids.

After five years in a row, I don't see how anyone could not pick app to repeat. I do think they will get a little more competition this year. One the other hand, I think this is one of those years where scheduling is to their advantage.

FU, WC and Elon at home.

Even though a lot of people don't expect much from GSU this year, they tend to give ASU a run in Statesboro (even in down years). But the conference schedule works to their advantage this year.

The Cats
May 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I'm hoping that Western will make an impact in conference play this year, realizing every one has marked the Western game as an auto win in the past. After a couple of close conference games last season, hopefully the Cats can win a few of the close ones. Not predicting anything at this point, just hoping to be more competetive with some wins.

OL FU
May 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'm hoping that Western will make an impact in conference play this year, realizing every one has marked the Western game as an auto win in the past. After a couple of close conference games last season, hopefully the Cats can win a few of the close ones. Not predicting anything at this point, just hoping to be more competetive with some wins.

I certainly think Western is going to be better and in fact has been. It was a big hole to dig out of so it takes a little longer. xnodx

SoCon48
May 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I don't believe he did such a thing, but 3 interceptions 2 of which were tip balls turned the game around... for sure I'm positive that you see your game from a different perspective than mine. Trying to replace all-time greats is something 114 other squads are wishing they had. AE and T-Mobile were special in their own right. But top coaching minds (Lembo & Moore) have retooled and adapted their squads. I believe with talent on hand Elon will be a part of the playoff conversation. Much to App fans disgust...

I liked the color picture in the Greensbor N&R of Riddle on his knee spiking the ball after one of his interceptions (no call).

phoenix3
May 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I dont expect much of a letdown on the O line versus last year. In fact, I dont see much of a letdown on the offense on the whole. No doubt Hudgins will be irreplacable, but most of the receivers we have in the two deep are as good as there are in the SoCon. On D is where the question mark is. We lost the whole defensive backfield, the team defensive MVP nose guard, and an all conference d end. They looked good in the spring game but we all know that can be deceptive. I am not sure whether we will be a playoff team in 2010, but with the larger playoff field I think we have a chance.

Saint3333
May 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
ASU and Furman have more talent at WR than Elon.

PaladinNation
May 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Based on spring practices and the scrimmage look for a different Furman.

I wish the fire would have been under Bobby's a$$ a few seasons back… but it obviously is now. You would have to go back to the Sheridan days to see the all business attitude displayed so far this season.

If I'm making a prediction: the best coaching move in the SoCon for 2010 will be Bobby giving up his position coaching responsibilities. Bobby seems more engaged in the total game plan and the quarterbacks are getting more attention, and seem to be flourishing under Coach Sorrells. Foricer, Worley, Derrick, Hollingsworth all looked solid and for a change, they can run.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Based on spring practices and the scrimmage look for a different Furman.

I wish the fire would have been under Bobby's a$$ a few seasons back… but it obviously is now. You would have to go back to the Sheridan days to see the all business attitude displayed so far this season.

If I'm making a prediction: the best coaching move in the SoCon for 2010 will be Bobby giving up his position coaching responsibilities. Bobby seems more engaged in the total game plan and the quarterbacks are getting more attention, and seem to be flourishing under Coach Sorrells. Foricer, Worley, Derrick, Hollingsworth all looked solid and for a change, they can run.

Not to mention, those who've watched these things for a while say that Furman has picked up the tempo at practice at a rate not seen before.

It's no secret that Lamb has, for a long time, wanted to run the spread option. The faster tempo in spring practice suggests that we may even see the Paladins go no huddle (just a guess). If I were coaching (which I'm not) and I had the talented offense that Furman has, I would do my level best to make sure they got as many snaps a game as possible.

OL FU
May 12th, 2010, 07:00 AM
While still cautious, this is the first pre-season optimism I have had since 2006 (and my optimism was somewhat muted that year).

ElonPride
May 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
ASU and Furman have more talent at WR than Elon.

You sure about that? Take a hard look at Lance Camp, Jeremy Peterson, Rasuan Rorie, Sean Jeffcoat & Aaron Mellette.

fightingphoenix
May 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I personally think Scott Riddle has become more of a leader over the past year. And I don't believe for a minute that ASU and Furman have better recievers than Elon. This year the ball will be spread out all over the place. I personally think Rausuan Rorie and Lance Camp are two outstanding recievers. Not to mention Elon's RB's and TE's who are totally capable of catching passes. In 2007 Elon didn't have much of an offensive line but look where they finished.

soconjohn
May 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
You sure about that? Take a hard look at Lance Camp, Jeremy Peterson, Rasuan Rorie, Sean Jeffcoat & Aaron Mellette.

I'm not sure I can agree that Elon has better wide receivers... I believe ASU has four of its returning pass-catchers (TE Ben Jorden, CoCo Hillary, Brian Quick and Matt Cline) garner postseason accolades last season, on either the coaches or media all-conference teams...Furman's Mims is better than anyone Elon has and David Hendrix was an all-freshman selection two years ago...Remember Elon's other wide receivers benefitted from the cloud cover Terrell Hudgins received last fall...I don't think many realize how much Hudgins benefitted the likes of Lance Camp, Aaron Mellette and Jeremy Peterson...Not saying Elon's receivers aren't good, just saying that ASU and Furman have a few All-America candidates at receiver heading into 2010...I'm not sure Elon, even with the talented Camp, has any.

Keeper
May 13th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Samford most improved, then Wofford & Furman.

ASU, Elon & Chatty about the same as 09.

El Cit, GSU & WCU still rebuilding.

Should be another ASU Elon 1-2. xtwocentsx

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure I can agree that Elon has better wide receivers... I believe ASU has four of its returning pass-catchers (TE Ben Jorden, CoCo Hillary, Brian Quick and Matt Cline) garner postseason accolades last season, on either the coaches or media all-conference teams...Furman's Mims is better than anyone Elon has and David Hendrix was an all-freshman selection two years ago...Remember Elon's other wide receivers benefitted from the cloud cover Terrell Hudgins received last fall...I don't think many realize how much Hudgins benefitted the likes of Lance Camp, Aaron Mellette and Jeremy Peterson...Not saying Elon's receivers aren't good, just saying that ASU and Furman have a few All-America candidates at receiver heading into 2010...I'm not sure Elon, even with the talented Camp, has any.

Furmans corps will probably be the best its been since Bratton, West, and Reinhart lined up out there (and those guys were about as good as they come).

A name you might not have heart yet is Ryan Culbreath. He was redshirted his freshman year due to depth at the position, but is supposed to be an absolute freak of an athlete at 6'4 and 200 lbs. People compare him to a bigger, faster RJ Webb.

elon77
May 13th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I liked the color picture in the Greensbor N&R of Riddle on his knee spiking the ball after one of his interceptions (no call).

Maybe that was his way to check that the ball was inflated correctly.xnodx

elon77
May 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe that was his way to check that the ball was inflated correctly.xnodx

Also, why would Riddle have the ball if it had been intercepted? xconfusedx

AppAlum2003
May 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Actually, that spike was the only pass ASU didn't pick off that day xsmiley_wix

AppMan
May 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM
If the ASU defense is as good as some of think it will be, the Apps won't need to score many points. That will allow the QB situation to sort itself out early in the season and once that is settled, look out!

AppMan
May 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM

It was actually after a sack.

ASUG8
May 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
If the ASU defense is as good as some of think it will be, the Apps won't need to score many points. That will allow the QB situation to sort itself out early in the season and once that is settled, look out!

We heard a lot of preseason good news out of our defense last year, and they didn't show up until midseason. xbawlingx I hope they show up early and often this season.

App will still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, and to OL FU's point scheduling will be kind to ASU this season. The elephant in the room is the unresolved QB situation and what tweaks (or overhaul) Jerry will have to make to the offense to compensate for what we lost. I've heard nothing about what repercussions the Coco DWI will have with possible game suspensions. Cadet's performance at the Rock vs. WCU left a lot to be desired IMO and scared me about the future - FU should be strong, Elon will be up there, WoCo could be back in a big way, and Chatty is certainly trending upwards as well. Parity is the word this season.

Saint3333
May 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM

EP you know me, I don't just toss blanket statements around without research.

Name/receptions/yards/TDs

Matt Cline/85/981/2
Brian Quick/61/982/4
CoCo Hillary/37/514/4

Then throw in arguably the best TE in the SoCon with Ben Jorden, a solid receiver out of the backfield in Moore along with Cadet and Elder and you have the best pass catching threats as a team in the SoCon.

There are also 3 redshirt freshman waiting in the wings which were highly recruited with size and speed. On paper this is the most talent ASU has ever brought back at the WR position.

JROCK98
May 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
We heard a lot of preseason good news out of our defense last year, and they didn't show up until midseason. xbawlingx I hope they show up early and often this season.

App will still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, and to OL FU's point scheduling will be kind to ASU this season. The elephant in the room is the unresolved QB situation and what tweaks (or overhaul) Jerry will have to make to the offense to compensate for what we lost. I've heard nothing about what repercussions the Coco DWI will have with possible game suspensions. Cadet's performance at the Rock vs. WCU left a lot to be desired IMO and scared me about the future - FU should be strong, Elon will be up there, WoCo could be back in a big way, and Chatty is certainly trending upwards as well. Parity is the word this season.

I think DP is going to surprise alot of people. The kid has alot of talent and a good head on his shoulders. He looked very good against WCU and Elon in 08. I know alot of people point out the ECU game from last year and yes he was rattled but the whole team was rattled in the first half (cant put the blame all on his shoulders). He did alot of things good in that game as well. The one scoring drive where he ran in for the TD in the first half and the second half starting drive which we missed the FG on. I am very optimistic about him and I think as the season goes on Jackson will also be a threat, he just needs a little more game experience and time to learn the system.

GaSouthern
May 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
The only consistant again this year will be GSU being a "SoCon mid major"

ElonPride
May 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
EP you know me, I don't just toss blanket statements around without research.

Name/receptions/yards/TDs

Matt Cline/85/981/2
Brian Quick/61/982/4
CoCo Hillary/37/514/4

Then throw in arguably the best TE in the SoCon with Ben Jorden, a solid receiver out of the backfield in Moore along with Cadet and Elder and you have the best pass catching threats as a team in the SoCon.

There are also 3 redshirt freshman waiting in the wings which were highly recruited with size and speed. On paper this is the most talent ASU has ever brought back at the WR position.

Saint, wans't trying to be an ass or anything. I believe this is probably the best all around WR corp to set foot on the Elon campus.....and that's saying a lot considering the year Hudgins/Mayers & co. Mellete nearly got snatched from Elon at this last minute by Miss St, Lance Camp is probably Elon's best all around athlete, Peterson had a darn good career at Renolds playing QB before converting over to WR at Elon and this coaching staff speaks very highly of Rorie. Then put Jeffocat (332 yds, 3 TDS) and the back field (532 yards) in this equation and I have no doubt Riddle will have a fun year.

How well do you think your WRs will do without the markmanship of AE?

Something I haven't thought about until now: after this season, we will have seen three of the best offensive players in SoCon history graduate within a two year span.....two of which were the most prolific in FCS history.

soconjohn
May 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
The decade of the 2000's:--Louis Ivory, Adrian Peterson, Armanti Edwards, Ingle Martin, Richie Williams, Terrell Hudgins, Andre Roberts, DaVon Fowlkes, Scott Riddle and Jayson Foster...That's some offensive talent...WOW!

ElonPride
May 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
The decade of the 2000's:--Louis Ivory, Adrian Peterson, Armanti Edwards, Ingle Martin, Richie Williams, Terrell Hudgins, Andre Roberts, DaVon Fowlkes, Scott Riddle and Jayson Foster...That's some offensive talent...WOW!

No kidding!xbowx

PhoenixPhan06
May 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM

We've been blessed as fans

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Don't forget about Jerome Felton, Bear Rinehart, Kevin Richardson, Jermaine Austin, and Trent Sansbury

AppMan
May 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Pressley will be fine and suprise a lot of people. He made some big throws at ECU in the first half. Cadet came in the game when the ECU defense was dog tired. He was fresh and as big as he is, hard to take down.

elon77
May 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Actually, that spike was the only pass ASU didn't pick off that day xsmiley_wix

I think it was tipped.:D

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Pressley will be fine and suprise a lot of people. He made some big throws at ECU in the first half. Cadet came in the game when the ECU defense was dog tired. He was fresh and as big as he is, hard to take down.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Not easy to be Armanti's replacement, though.

T-Dog
May 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Don't forget about Jerome Felton, Bear Rinehart, Kevin Richardson, Jermaine Austin, and Trent Sansbury

I'll be honest. Felton scared me when he got the ball. He was a tank we couldn't tackle without several guys. Foster gave me the same feeling. He almost single-handily won that game in Boone in 2007.

I think Jerry Moore will open up the offense a bit more this season. He can't rest on Armanti to make magic and will have to play to everyone's strengths.

The good news for App is that besides Armanti and the captain of the defense Jacque Roman, everyone else is back. Cadet has been moved to WR so we can utilize him in more wildcat and gadget plays. DeAndre Presley is back at QB which is probably for the best.

I really don't know who will be QB this season. My gut instinct tells me it'll be redshirt freshmen Jamal Jackson but as of now it's a dead heat between him and Presley. That's not even including the two new QB recruits who could make an impact.

App is definitely the favorite to win it since everyone else doesn't have a stronger case at this point in time. That UTC season opener scares me. Huesman outcoached Jerry Moore last year and isn't afraid to go for the jugular. Going to Statesboro always worries me since it's a rivalry game. Going to WCU for the annual Cullowhee Super Bowl is always entertaining and Samford has got the size to contend with everyone. All four road games are tricky in their own way.

Elon is probably thanking the heavens that they don't have to come to Boone in November and get to avoid freezing rain/snow. They get to come up during leaf-changing season. The cold-as-balls temperatures are reserved for Wofford this year.

Also, the FU and WC games will more than likely be 3:30 kickoffs. Elon is on homecoming so it might be 2:30 or 3:00. However the El Citadel game has been rumored to be night game. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'll be honest. Felton scared me when he got the ball. He was a tank we couldn't tackle without several guys. Foster gave me the same feeling. He almost single-handily won that game in Boone in 2007.

I think Jerry Moore will open up the offense a bit more this season. He can't rest on Armanti to make magic and will have to play to everyone's strengths.

The good news for App is that besides Armanti and the captain of the defense Jacque Roman, everyone else is back. Cadet has been moved to WR so we can utilize him in more wildcat and gadget plays. DeAndre Presley is back at QB which is probably for the best.

I really don't know who will be QB this season. My gut instinct tells me it'll be redshirt freshmen Jamal Jackson but as of now it's a dead heat between him and Presley. That's not even including the two new QB recruits who could make an impact.

App is definitely the favorite to win it since everyone else doesn't have a stronger case at this point in time. That UTC season opener scares me. Huesman outcoached Jerry Moore last year and isn't afraid to go for the jugular. Going to Statesboro always worries me since it's a rivalry game. Going to WCU for the annual Cullowhee Super Bowl is always entertaining and Samford has got the size to contend with everyone. All four road games are tricky in their own way.

Elon is probably thanking the heavens that they don't have to come to Boone in November and get to avoid freezing rain/snow. They get to come up during leaf-changing season. The cold-as-balls temperatures are reserved for Wofford this year.

Also, the FU and WC games will more than likely be 3:30 kickoffs. Elon is on homecoming so it might be 2:30 or 3:00. However the El Citadel game has been rumored to be night game. xthumbsupx

Someone say Jerome Felton? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

I know, we lost the game, but that was awesome.

T-Dog
May 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Someone say Jerome Felton? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

I know, we lost the game, but that was awesome.

That happened right in front of me. Got a perfect view of it. xsmhx

Also got a perfect view of Ingle getting tackled by the invisible man. xnodx

Sir William
May 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Also got a perfect view of Ingle getting tackled by the invisible man. xnodx

The ice man cometh. xdohx

Mntneer
May 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Have I missed some sort of official announcement, or are we just assuming that DP is going to be "the guy"?

SideLine Shooter
May 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
The ice man cometh. xdohx

That may very well be the funniest moment in semi-final history. Thank God it happened.

JROCK98
May 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Have I missed some sort of official announcement, or are we just assuming that DP is going to be "the guy"?

On my part i'm just assuming but I think he has the leg up because of experience in the system and actual college game experience.

Mntneer
May 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
On my part i'm just assuming but I think he has the leg up because of experience in the system and actual college game experience.

I'm not so sure I'd make that assumption. Talk that DP "will be fine" sounds like what was being said last year before the disastrous first half @ECU. Mostly, I'd like to see us make a selection this year and stick by it. Seems like neither DP nor TC were given much of a chance last year before being moved to WR.

JROCK98
May 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm not so sure I'd make that assumption. Talk that DP "will be fine" sounds like what was being said last year before the disastrous first half @ECU. Mostly, I'd like to see us make a selection this year and stick by it. Seems like neither DP nor TC were given much of a chance last year before being moved to WR.

No way you can blame DP entirely for the first half at ECU. The whole team was rattled and out of sorts. The defense gave up big plays and ECU had all the momentum. We had terrible field position and the coaches called a very conservative game in that half. Did DP play great, no but did he do some good things, yes. He also played very well in 2008 when given the chance or when needed because of injury to AE.
IMO he can get the job done and I think he will surprise alot of his doubters.

biggie
May 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I still think Jackson will be the starter, 1st game. But its just an educated guess. Fall camp will tell.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Meant after his long day of sacks and interceptions. He spiked it after one of the sacks.