PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS Conference could APP St. Win in 2010

jstclmet
May 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Before moving off of ASU and onto another 2009 Conference winner, I wanted to piggy back of the earlier poll as the discussion as it relates to ASU has been interesting.

Yes, I know it's only May, and there are some positions that have yet to be ironed out (like QB), but for the most part, you know what you have and will be playing with in the Fall. The only difference between now and then will be a xfer or two, and all of your incoming frosh.

With that, starting with App St., which or how many FCS conferences do you think APP St. could win (they don't have to go undefeated) in 2010.

AppAlum2003
May 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
You must be doing the teams in alphabetical order - there's no way the CAA is THIS obsessed with App State! xlolx

xsmiley_wix

jstclmet
May 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
You must be doing the teams in alphabetical order - there's no way the CAA is THIS obsessed with App State! xlolx

xsmiley_wix

Kind'a sort'a, although, I was going to turn to Montana next??

MorgantonAPPAlum
May 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
You left out the SEC and the Big XII.
:Dxlolx;)xrolleyesx

appstate38
May 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I voted all of them BUT only if we could play all the Big Sky games and Great West games in Kidd Brewer... Our record west of the Mississippi is not very good. I believe we are 0 for....

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm not positive App will win the SoCon in 2010....

PhoenixMan
May 4th, 2010, 09:36 PM
none of them wasn't a choice? The gravy train left town when AE departed.

WestCoastAggie
May 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
They wouldn't win the MEAC this year. They would quite possibly lose 2 games. Yes, the MEAC has improved THAT much.
The OVC, however, they would have an easier time with a game maybe against JSU or East Illinois and East Kentucky.

ThompsonThe
May 5th, 2010, 05:23 AM
What is the point of this.
Everyone knows that we will win always.
Right.

AppAlum2003
May 5th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Wow... a lot of people are forgetting that ASU was a perennial top 10 FCS program before Back-to-Back-to-Back.

And the poll question is "What conference COULD App State win this year?" Not "What conference WOULD App State win this year?" I would argue the same thing for a majority of last years conference winners - that they COULD win most of the other conferences.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Elon fans have a short memory, you are going to be very disappointed this fall at KBS.

None of them - including the MEAC, OVC, etc. you are clueless.

AppAlum2003
May 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM
This poll is flawed anyway... if you select "All of them" and don't put a check mark next to all of the choices, it counts as a "no vote" for each conference.

Can we please get rid of crap like this or go ahead and send it to Smack?

PhoenixMan
May 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Elon fans have a short memory, you are going to be very disappointed this fall at KBS.

None of them - including the MEAC, OVC, etc. you are clueless.

My memory is very good. I remember every disappointing, awful minute of the game last year, and the year before. However, as I said....things are going to change, Elvis has left the building.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Obviously not, ASU was a top 5 or 10 FCS program before AE and will continue to be so.

Elon's best player in their history is also no longer with the team. The difference is ASU reloads, perhaps you remember when a guy named Richie Williams graduated we heard the same thing. ASU has had one of the top 3 SoCon QBs every year but 2 or 3 since the mid-80's.

PhoenixMan
May 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Obviously not, ASU was a top 5 or 10 FCS program before AE and will continue to be so.

Elon's best player in their history is also no longer with the team. The difference is ASU reloads, perhaps you remember when a guy named Richie Williams graduated we heard the same thing. ASU has had one of the top 3 SoCon QBs every year but 2 or 3 since the mid-80's.

Yes, I remember Richie Williams. Great player, but there is only one AE. As for Elon's best player ever.....I don't know. They still have the guy that was throwing to him, and Riddle owns a number of SoCon records himself. Of course, from what I read, a lot of SoCon teams are going to be much improved. I'm just talking a little smack, App. St. is the favorite to win the SoCon again. My only gripe....what kind of a BS thread is this anyway? Which FCS conference could they win....they better just worry about the one they are in.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I agree this is a BS thread. Riddle is an excellent QB, my concern would be the loss of 3 OL starters and his go-to guy. Riddle isn't the most mobile QB and will need solid protection in 2010.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Again. Your teams were good with Richie Williams, but they were not good solely because of Richie Williams. Remember, Williams got knocked out early against a very good Furman team in the semi-finals and Trey Elder led the team to victory?

App fans are living in another world if they think they aren't going to miss a beat with the graduation of Armanti Edwards. You're talking the best offensive player since Peterson and Ivory in the SoCon. Perhaps the most dynamic player in FCS history.

App will still be good, but Armanti was an "X" factor. Teams couldn't defend him. Players like him are just not "replaced" by the next guy in line. GSU may go 10 years without having another player like Jayson Foster. Furman may never find another Jerome Felton. Guys that were virtually unstoppable during their tenures.

App will still be very good I imagine, but I think a lot of those 14 point wins might well become 3 point wins. No team can stay on top for ever, especially not when there are plenty of good teams chomping at the bit to unseat the Mountaineers. As of right now, all we know is that we got to watch a great player play football, and now we have to see what happens next.

Saint3333
May 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I fully understand ASU will not be on top forever, but I'm speaking to the posters who believe ASU will fall out of the top 25 and not make the playoffs 60-80% of the time. They seem to forget ASU's history pre-AE.

ASU's defense will be the key next year.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I thought the gravy train departed when all everything Terrell Hudgins was catching passes from wonderboy Scotty Riddle.. Or is this another "Just wait until next season" post? Aren't you getting tired of saying that?

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Again. Your teams were good with Richie Williams, but they were not good solely because of Richie Williams.

Exactly.. and we now have more talent around whoever our QB is going to be than Richie Williams had around him.

Our QB does not need to be AE -- he needs to be a game manager and leader. We have enough talent in the skill positions 2 deep to wreck havoc. Only thing, can our new QB be that game manager and leader (something Richie did not get enough credit for)

jmufan999
May 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Our QB does not need to be AE -- he needs to be a game manager and leader.

we said the same thing after Landers. believe me, you'll notice a difference. probably even more of a difference because Rodney didn't have the arm or accuracy of AE. you can't tout Armanti as a "potential heisman candidate" as MANY, MANY of you have done over the years... then just say the next guy needs to "manage" games (AppIAA, i don't know if you specifically said this but you KNOW how many ASU fans were talking about this). if you go from "heisman candidate" to "game manager", you WILL lose more games than you have previously. QB is the most important position in all of sports. doesn't mean you won't still win the SoCon.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM
we said the same thing after Landers. believe me, you'll notice a difference. probably even more of a difference because Rodney didn't have the arm or accuracy of AE. you can't tout Armanti as a "potential heisman candidate" as MANY, MANY of you have done over the years... then just say the next guy needs to "manage" games (AppIAA, i don't know if you specifically said this but you KNOW how many ASU fans were talking about this). if you go from "heisman candidate" to "game manager", you WILL lose more games than you have previously. QB is the most important position in all of sports. doesn't mean you won't still win the SoCon.

Thing is, the next guy didn't have the talent surrounding him like the next guy at App will have. 3 All SoCon performers at WR (Cline, Quick, Hillary), All SoCon RB in Moore, 3/5th of the offensive line back. If I remember correctly (and I may not be), many of the weapons around Landers graduated at the same time, right?

PhoenixMan
May 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I thought the gravy train departed when all everything Terrell Hudgins was catching passes from wonderboy Scotty Riddle.. Or is this another "Just wait until next season" post? Aren't you getting tired of saying that?

Actually I am getting tired of wait until next season. My goal for Elon this year was to make the playoffs. We did. I don't know what "life after Hudgins" will be like, but when you throw the ball to a guy 16-20 times a game for 3 years, something will have to be changed.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thing is, the next guy didn't have the talent surrounding him like the next guy at App will have. 3 All SoCon performers at WR (Cline, Quick, Hillary), All SoCon RB in Moore, 3/5th of the offensive line back. If I remember correctly (and I may not be), many of the weapons around Landers graduated at the same time, right?

Yeah, but you have to realize those guys may well be better football players because of Edwards, not independent of him.

AppIAA
May 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, but you have to realize those guys may well be better football players because of Edwards, not independent of him.

That I can agree with -- there is no doubt teams had to key in on AE, leaving other options more open than they would otherwise be.

JohnStOnge
May 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Strangely enough, though I'm not going to look it up, I think Appalachian State has historically had problems with Southland teams.

AppMan
May 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
No question AE will be missed and ASU won't be as good without him. However, it is foolish to think the Apps are finished taking home conference and national championship trophies.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
ASU could probably win any conference that doesn't have Villanova in 2010.