PDA

View Full Version : Resolution to FCS to FBS Transition in Jan or Apr '11

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Tom Burnett (the Southland Commissioner) just tweeted...

"NCAA Board recommendations include FCS to FBS transition only if FBS conference offers invite to the FCS school. "

"Item will go through the NCAA legislative process during next school year. FBS conferences will vote it up or down next Jan. or April. "

http://twitter.com/SLC_Commish

Guess this will make things interesting as it relates to the schools from FCS that want to go FBS. They'll have to wait for an up or down vote in 2011. What's the earliest they could begin transition? Summer of '11 or are we waiting until summer of '12 before they could start?

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Could this mean Lamar, UTSA and TX St in the Southland for football for several years to come?

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Could this mean Lamar, UTSA and TX St in the Southland for football for several years to come?

UTSA is already bypassing the SLC...

They do not intend to apply for FBS or make their intentions known through the formal process before '13. So, they have three years to get a conference...

superman7515
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
How about giving the FCS a vote on that. Blah.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
How about giving the FCS a vote on that. Blah.

That's what I was wondering, why do only the FBS conferences get to vote on this?

JMUNJ08
May 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM
You have to be invited to the cool kids table before you can get a seat right?

JSU02
May 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
I would think that the larger FBS schools would want as many FBS teams as possible since that would make it easier to schedule more OOC games with out haveing the "stigma" of playing an FCS school.

Jackman
May 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
It would also allow more bowl games, since there would be more .500 or better teams.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Do all FBS teams get some kind of cut of money that FCS teams don't?

That's the only reason I can think of for wanting to keep out more FCS teams. Although I suppose they're scared that once the "smaller" schools are the majority (IE, the Akrons instead of the Ohio States) they could vote to change things?

bandit
May 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM
The FBS teams pay less money for guarantee games against FCS teams. No idea if that factors into this decision, but it could be part of it.

Ultimately, if all the movement happens between the conferences that seems to be on tap, there will be openings for any strong FCS team that wants to make the move. Conferences like the Sun Belt, WAC and CUSA may all need additions.

danefan
May 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Do all FBS teams get some kind of cut of money that FCS teams don't?

That's the only reason I can think of for wanting to keep out more FCS teams. Although I suppose they're scared that once the "smaller" schools are the majority (IE, the Akrons instead of the Ohio States) they could vote to change things?

Yes. FBS teams share in some of the TV money. They don't want more FBS teams. If anything, the BCS teams would like to force everyone else back down.

ThompsonThe
May 3rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
There is always the potential that a conference could be so hit that they do away with the football part of it. For example the Big East. They are more basketball motivated anyway it seems.

The FBS school fans are pretty much laughing at this proposal, figuring it puts them in the "cat bird seat" and helps their negotiations, if any. They claim that FCS schools would not be able to form an FBS conference because of this. I am not sure that is true.

What gets me about FCS to FBS and needing a conference to invite a school, I thought that was proposed by the FCS athletic administrators. Doesn't make sense that it would be an FBS vote only.