PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day For Penn Fans

Philliesfan980
April 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I don't really consider myself a Penn fan, but I always try and go to a game a year just because of how much I like Franklin Field.

Some sad news today -

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100427_Penn_football_player_Owen_Thomas_dies.htm l

They also lost a long time coach this past weekend. It's going to be a tough year emotionally.

ngineer
April 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, this kid was from the Lehigh Valley, (Parkland HS) and a terrific player. We tried recruiting him...another loss to the IL. As much as we 'despise' Penn, heartfelt condolences to his family and his friends at UP.

LBPop
April 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I am grateful that I can only imagine how this young man's family feels. I truly ache for the parents, and the rest of his family.

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, this kid was from the Lehigh Valley, (Parkland HS) and a terrific player. We tried recruiting him...another loss to the IL. As much as we 'despise' Penn, heartfelt condolences to his family and his friends at UP.

Agreed.

Go...gate
April 27th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Devestatingly sad. So much youth, hope and anticipation for a life yet to come. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Wildcat80
April 28th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Sad news indeed. Penn unfortunately has been there before.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sports_breaking/20100427_Penn_football_player_committed_suicide.ht ml

Penn football co-captain Owen Thomas was a fun-loving, hard-working young man who undertook a number of tasks, including those relating to football or classes in the Wharton School, with a deep intensity.

However, according to his mother, it was that same intensity that "spiraled out of control" as the junior defensive end worried more and more about his schoolwork, and prompted him to take his own life on Monday.

"The intensity, that was his personality," the Rev. Katherine Brearsley said Tuesday from her Allentown home. "But his intensity spiral went downward. His friends and his football coaches all tried to help him put it in perspective and we thought they were succeeding. They told him to take it one day at a time.

"But there was something with his schoolwork where he said, 'I can't do this' and it's not worth it. All the energy that we had seen him put into life spiraled out of control and made him do this."

Devastatingly sad.

ngineer
April 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
This is a problem nationwide, especially with young men. Guys who appear to have 'everything' going their way: athletics, academics, looks, friends,...and yet, they see themselves in a 'hopeless, no way out situtation'...Former Delaware and Lehigh player Bo Tkach died similarly a few years ago. His parents have started a foundation in his memory to assist kids who are identified as 'at risk' for counselling. Despite the 'happy' exterior, if too many expectations are placed on people or unrealistic expectations arise there needs to be support. Parents and friends need to be aware of any signs that something maybe 'amiss' with someone and not just ask "How are you?" but, "HOW ARE YOU?" and mean it.