PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Spring Games

DFW HOYA
April 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
Three spring games coming up--what are the expectations from the BU, Fordham, and Lehigh folks?

Fordham
April 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
hopefully finding one QB who rises above the other candidates.

Franks Tanks
April 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Is Mara still at Fordham?

carney2
April 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM

Not on the online roster. I guess the Mara-Shula confrontation will not be fulfilled by either side.

jimbo65
April 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM
Well it is safe to say that none of our Spring games will attract the attention of Alabama's i.e., 90,000 + in attendance plus national tv coverage.

We would have to combine the annual attendance of several PL teams to equal their spring game.

RichH2
April 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Spring game looks more to let Ceech reset O. Coen has left all O skill positions open. D is set except on DL but Winnett and Brown will be OK for Camp this summer.

Go...gate
April 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Very little Spring FB news coming out of Colgate at all. :(

Fordham
April 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM

Last I heard he was. Just not on the football team.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Last I heard he was. Just not on the football team.

We still have to watch for him. The last Mara to drop off the football team ended up bringing the Seven Blocks of Granite to Rose Hill as an undergrad. xlolx

ngineer
April 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
A number of DL linemen will be held out due to recovery from injuries, but should all be ready in August.

Most of interest will be the "open" competition still raging at QB. Colvin still nursing from broken leg will not play, so the shoot out between Clark and Lum should be center stage. Tied into that will be the jockeying for getting noticed by the numerous WRs.

Additionally, I'm looking forward to seeing the kicking game. Improved last year with Smith as punter, but the competition will be between Randazza and Peery for PK. Frosh also coming in August to compete.

D will be short-changed as they usually dial back the blitz packages, but one never knows. Maybe Ceech will want to see how the QBs handle the pressure.

RichH2
April 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Shame they had to move game to 10:30 am. But I will catch some later on on computer

ngineer
April 23rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Shame they had to move game to 10:30 am. But I will catch some later on on computer

10:30?? I had previously received an email that it was 10 a.m. Maybe it's the actual game versus the pregame drills they do. Looks like great weather, so I'll be going over early. Gotta remember the sunscreen!!xcoolx:D

ngineer
April 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Here is my report posted on the general spring games thread:

Lehigh's defense beat the offense, 39-37 in an entertaining game at Goodman under ideal conditions. Estimated 1,200 in attendance. Defense, as expected, ahead of the offense, plus having seen the offense for four weeks, one could see they knew their reads. Two leading QBs were 'live' as the coaches wanted to see them in 'pressure' situations. Both Clark and Lum had their moments, especially Clark in the opening drive with a gorgeous 20 yard TD pass in the corner of the endzone. Several dropped balls by WRs was bothersome, though some were on tough passes (several slightly behind) but if your hand get on the ball it must be caught.
Secondary came up with 4 picks (3 against rising soph Colvin), and looked very strong in coverage. Colvin was a surprise player, coming back from broken leg late last fall. However he did wear a red jersey.
Punting game looked excellent as Smith seemed to pick up where he left off last year. Some very nice boomers with hang time. Peery probably leads in the PK competition, though that will remain open in August, along with a new frosh PK coming in.
Campbell, Barket, Kablan, ran hard, though no huge gains on the ground. Walker did not suit up. This guy has been snake bitten with injuries his whole career.
Several DL also didn't play, expecially Winett, so the DL depth looks very good as some rising sophs got a lot of time and one, Chagani, could be pushing for a starting job.
Captains were named: Al Pierce (he of Lafayette game fame) on defense and Will Rackley (All-American tackle ) on offense.
Only real concern, from my view, is depth in the OL. The starting line looked pretty good; however, the second string got manhandled by the 1st D, so those guys need to step it up.
Also learned that the new OC is giving the QBs 'packages' of plays to deal with on each snap with the QB deciding on 'the' play at the line. Still some of the bothersome "looking at the sideline hand gestures" for checkoffs from time to time, but that fad may be fading. Clark commented that Cecchini is more "detailed oriented" than the previous OC.
Lots of work to do, but no question there is optimism on Old South Mountain. A lot of energy.
Season ticket renewals go out next week and applications to the general public June 3. Gotta buy the whole package if you want a ticket to the Lafayette game this year.

Lehigh also has a report and video interviews with some players and the HC at www.lehighsports.com

RichH2
April 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks ngineer, Haggins very athletic if a bit light. Chagani will push for serious time. Depth at lb and db very impressive. OL will sort itself out Pelligrini will be good at OG. Do not be surprised if 2 frosh OL make it into the 2 deep , both Pa kids were A-S.

ngineer
April 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks ngineer, Haggins very athletic if a bit light. Chagani will push for serious time. Depth at lb and db very impressive. OL will sort itself out Pelligrini will be good at OG. Do not be surprised if 2 frosh OL make it into the 2 deep , both Pa kids were A-S.

No question, but I see a big 'upside for him' in the next two years. I think "Wojo" will start come September, but you'll see Haggins in there with the '3 wides'. No way an LB will be able to cover him. Pelligrini is sure a load. The OL could be averaging around 300. Rackley has himself up to 310. There was also a little speedster named Dormevil from Norwalk, Connecticut. Not very big, but some great open field moves. I could see him being used for some special plays to get him in the open field.

RichH2
April 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM
He does indeed have "evil" moves. Very quick. A smaller version of Pugh. A boom or bust kid. I think. Gain 27 on 1 play lose 8 on another. Nevertheless a real bonus for O to have some outside speed. We'll have to see how Kablan adjusts as he is bigger and faster if not as quick. Rugg and Lippincott big athletic kids will fit somewhere by mid season on 2 deep. Likewise lok for Muhammed to move up to varsity quickly. He is moving from DL to ILB a real horse. Mihal will be the new Brickner at OLB.

I am always optimistic pre season. For the 1st time in a while I think we will win some close games. It would be a nice change of Pace

ngineer
April 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
He does indeed have "evil" moves. Very quick. A smaller version of Pugh. A boom or bust kid. I think. Gain 27 on 1 play lose 8 on another. Nevertheless a real bonus for O to have some outside speed. We'll have to see how Kablan adjusts as he is bigger and faster if not as quick. Rugg and Lippincott big athletic kids will fit somewhere by mid season on 2 deep. Likewise lok for Muhammed to move up to varsity quickly. He is moving from DL to ILB a real horse. Mihal will be the new Brickner at OLB.

I am always optimistic pre season. For the 1st time in a while I think we will win some close games. It would be a nice change of Pace

Hopefully we don't start scheduling them!!

Absent some critical injuries or some weird games (like the ol' Holy Cross game of 2004) there should be no excuse for going worse than 7-4 and winning the PL (at least a tie).

RichH2
April 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Iam a bit more optimistic, unfortunately I always am this time of year. I think we may be able to take one of the CAA games with some luck and a great game and be in the hunt for PL title. Gate and LC will likewise be good.