PDA

View Full Version : No change in FCS games counting towards bowl eligibility

JohnStOnge
April 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
At least I don't think so. I know we have a thread on this and I posted this observation there but I think it might have kind of gotten lost.

I looked up the agenda for the NCAA Legislative Council meeting. It looks to me like FBS schools will still be able to count 1 FCS game per year towards Bowl eligibility. If you go through the document at http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/AMA/l...upplements.pdf and do a find on "deserving" you can follow what's going on. All they are essentially doing is replacing the word "winning" with "deserving." There used to be one exception granted per year to count a FCS team towards being a "winning" team. Now the same exception is granted for counting a FCS towards being a "deserving" team.

In other words, right now schools are required to have 6 wins against FBS squads to be bowl eligible but an exception is granted so that they can count a FCS as one of those wins. The only change is that schools will now be required to have at least a 0.500 record against FBS schools. The exception is still granted. They can count one FCS win as an FBS win.

49RFootballNow
April 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Link is not working.

onbison09
April 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Good for FCS teams. Don't know why you would schedule one if you couldn't count it.

JohnStOnge
April 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Link is not working.

No, I see that it's not. Try this: Do a Google search on "Division I NCAA Legislative Council." You should see the correct option at the top of the search results. Click. Once that page goes up you can either click on the link that says, "April 2010 Agenda and Supplements" or the one that says that followed by "Action Items Only." In either one if you do a search on "deserving" and keep going long enough you'll be able to follow what's going on. You'll see that there's no substantative change as far as counting FCS games towards bowl eligibility goes.

JohnStOnge
April 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
In the key section, here is the current language:

"30.9.2.21 Exception -- Football Championship Subdivision Opponent. Each year, a Football Bowl Subdivision institution may count one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward the six-win minimum provided the opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in football over a rolling two-year period."

The new language will be:

"30.9.2.21 Exception -- Football Championship Subdivision Opponent. Each year, a Football Bowl Subdivision institution may count one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a 'deserving team,' provided the opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in football over a rolling two-year period."

BTW, this now makes perfect sense. There is language referring to "winning team" in there now and, of course, a team can finish 6-6 and be bowl eligible. All they're doing is recognizing that you don't have to actually be a "winning team" to be bowl eligible anymore.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
BTW, this now makes perfect sense. There is language referring to "winning team" in there now and, of course, a team can finish 6-6 and be bowl eligible. All they're doing is recognizing that you don't have to actually be a "winning team" to be bowl eligible anymore.

I understand your point, but it in no way makes "perfect sense". xlolx

ThompsonThe
April 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Seems like it would eliminate FBS schools from even scheduling an FCS game. IF you have to have at least a .500 against FBS, then you cannot count that game into that.
So, in essence, it makes that FCS game not worth playing.

If an FBS school plays 12 games with one FCS team on there, they would have to be 7-5 instead of 6-6 in order to go to a bowl game.

danefan
April 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Seems like it would eliminate FBS schools from even scheduling an FCS game. IF you have to have at least a .500 against FBS, then you cannot count that game into that.
So, in essence, it makes that FCS game not worth playing.

If an FBS school plays 12 games with one FCS team on there, they would have to be 7-5 instead of 6-6 in order to go to a bowl game.

1 win against an FCS counter will count as an "FBS win" for purposes of determining who is "deserving".

OL FU
April 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
1 win against an FCS counter will count as an "FBS win" for purposes of determining who is "deserving".

The NCAA obviously has lawyers write this stuff since it takes one to understand itxsmiley_wix

Go...gate
April 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
The NCAA obviously has lawyers write this stuff since it takes one to understand itxsmiley_wix

If they are lawyers, they cannot write. This is the kind of crappy work that gets lawyers fired and sued for malpractice.

danefan
April 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
If they are lawyers, they cannot write. This is the kind of crappy work that gets lawyers fired and sued for malpractice.

They aren't "lawyers". They are #'s all ending with Esq. In other words, they work at Skadden. xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
April 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM

Right. Nothing's changed except they used to use the terminology "winning team" while defining "winning team" as a team having at least 6 wins over FBS opponents and an overall winning record. Then they allowed certain exceptions to allow 6-6 teams to be in Bowls as long as they had 6 wins over FBS opponents. Then they allowed ANOTHER exception to allow counting one FCS win towards the 6 wins.

What this does is just get rid of "winning," change the term to "deserving," and just directly allow for a 0.500 team to be in a bowl. Meanwhile the exception to allow for counting one FCS win is still there. If you go to the April 2010 "Action Items Only Document" it's a 184 page pdf document. You can see the whole scenario on page 175 of the overall pdf document. You can find it by doing a "find" on "deserving" than continuing to hit "find next" until you see that you're on page 175 of 184 of the overall document. I think when you do "find" it's the third hit on "deserving."

You'll see the old language in strikethrough and the new language in bold underlined text. No substantative change at all. They're just eliminating exceptions for 0.500 teams by making 0.500 teams eligible to begin with.

OL FU
April 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM

I have known a few of those types of lawyersxsmiley_wix

Also known some very good onesxnodx

ThompsonThe
April 27th, 2010, 01:02 AM
If it said what some of you are saying that it says, everything would be fine. But it doesn't. On another blog someone said that it merely talks about BCS wins to qualify for other bowl games than what their conferences have going already. If that is true, that would be OK also. But even then, will the FBS AD's look at it, and not schedule FCS schools because they think that those games would not count......or will they not. Either way, it could really affect FCS schools getting FBS or BCS games.
Sounds like the language at least needs to be stopped or changed.