PDA

View Full Version : A 12-team MVFC?

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Patty V said in a recent article (http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/158169/group/Sports/) that the MVFC started expansion talk with NDSU and SDSU when they got into an all-sports league.

The Valley, which includes North Dakota State and South Dakota State, has not talked recently about expansion.

Nor are any talks on the horizon.

However, Viverito said NDSU and SDSU didn’t generate any talk from the Valley until “they were firmly stationed in an all-sports league.”

USD has accomplished the task and UND is well on their way to doing so as well. The article goes on to state that conferences want to put as many teams as possible into the playoffs and expansion does that. mentions the CAA specifically.

Could the MVFC grow to a 12 team league?

WEST
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa

EAST
Illinois State
Indiana State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

TBA - Missouri State, could go either way, I guess. Further west than Western Illinois and you'd probably want to keep all the Illinois schools together.

What would the 12th school be? Does it have to be a football-member only or is there change forthcoming in the all-sports side of the MVFC?

MplsBison
April 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Drake would look nice your West division.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with this. UND and USD are slam-dunks to be added once they've established Summit League membership and the CAA has shown us that having 12 teams in the league is the only way we're consistently going to get the 4 teams in the playoffs every year that we deserve for our level of play on the field.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Butler, flush with Horizon money.

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
What would the 12th school be? Does it have to be a football-member only or is there change forthcoming in the all-sports side of the MVFC?

Fordham. xlolx

Redbird Ray
April 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
As I have said before, I only want Butler if they are coming into the MVC for basketball as well. Drake would be cool because of their winning history and tradition. I wouldn't mind stealing EIU back from the OVC, so that all of the Illinois FCS schools would be in the same league. Although I'm not sure why EIU would want to join a tougher league, other than entertaining the notion of embracing in-state competition.

Something that could potentially happen here would be if a MAC school like Eastern Michigan or Bowling Green State chooses to drop down to FCS and join the MVFC. I know both schools have had their financial difficulties in FBS and have toyed with the idea of going FCS or even D2.

Anyway, here's my list of potential MVFC expansion candidates:

1) Butler (Only if joining MVC as well)
2) Drake- Already in MVC, good tradition, cool old stadium, excuse to visit Des Moines, could build football rivalry with UNI
3) UND- small, but impressive facility, and because my favourite Hawk went there
4) USD- I like their mascot/logo
5) EIU- Illinois directional brotherhood
6) MAC reject- should have a big stadium, if nothing else
7) Wichita State- because I would love to see WSU and NDSU fans go at each other
8) SEMO- not a great program, but geographically would work well. I have always wanted to visit CG as well.
9) Minnesota State- could be a nice fit if they ever go D1, another cool logo
10) Dayton- like Butler, would really only want them if they joined MVC. Ohio school that could give a travel break to YSU.

TheBisonator
April 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
As I have said before, I only want Butler if they are coming into the MVC for basketball as well. Drake would be cool because of their winning history and tradition. I wouldn't mind stealing EIU back from the OVC, so that all of the Illinois FCS schools would be in the same league. Although I'm not sure why EIU would want to join a tougher league, other than entertaining the notion of embracing in-state competition.

Something that could potentially happen here would be if a MAC school like Eastern Michigan or Bowling Green State chooses to drop down to FCS and join the MVFC. I know both schools have had their financial difficulties in FBS and have toyed with the idea of going FCS or even D2.

Anyway, here's my list of potential MVFC expansion candidates:

1) Butler (Only if joining MVC as well)
2) Drake- Already in MVC, good tradition, cool old stadium, excuse to visit Des Moines, could build football rivalry with UNI
3) UND- small, but impressive facility, and because my favourite Hawk went there
4) USD- I like their mascot/logo
5) EIU- Illinois directional brotherhood
6) MAC reject- should have a big stadium, if nothing else
7) Wichita State- because I would love to see WSU and NDSU fans go at each other
8) SEMO- not a great program, but geographically would work well. I have always wanted to visit CG as well.
9) Minnesota State- could be a nice fit if they ever go D1, another cool logo10) Dayton- like Butler, would really only want them if they joined MVC. Ohio school that could give a travel break to YSU.

About your #9: There is NOTHING about Minnesota State, other than hockey, that shows that they're DI. They used to be conference mates with the Dakota 4 and UNI back in the NCC days. They brought NOTHING to the table back then. Most teams (especially NDSU and UND) used to beat up on them on a regular basis. Their stadium is tiny and piss-poor (for MVFC standards anyway, it's fine for DII). It's a big school with even more students than NDSU (It's at about 15,000 students), but there is absolutely ZERO interest for MSU-Mankato sports in that area other than hockey, which also doesn't get good support. Students there care about the Gophers more than anything else. They even had a playoff game last year that drew only 1,600 fans. They only average 3-4,000 per game in football. Worse than Indiana State. At least ISU Blue has the potential to increase their attendance.

I would have to say an emphatic NO on MSU-Mankato. it's just bringing back the whole old NCC, and I don't think NDSU wants that. Not after the way we were treated by the NCC in the final years.

I think UND and USD would be considered if there's expansion, but they wouldn't be sure slam-dunks. You also have to consider, like what was said, schools like EIU, Butler, Drake, WSU bringing back football, etc.

I would be for UND and USD joining the MVFC sometime in the future if it meant a guarantee that mo more former NCC schools would be allowed to join the conference. (And if USD does improvements on their dome)

Kemo
April 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
About your #9: There is NOTHING about Minnesota State, other than hockey, that shows that they're DI. They used to be conference mates with the Dakota 4 and UNI back in the NCC days. They brought NOTHING to the table back then. Most teams (especially NDSU and UND) used to beat up on them on a regular basis. Their stadium is tiny and piss-poor (for MVFC standards anyway, it's fine for DII). It's a big school with even more students than NDSU (It's at about 15,000 students), but there is absolutely ZERO interest for MSU-Mankato sports in that area other than hockey, which also doesn't get good support. Students there care about the Gophers more than anything else. They even had a playoff game last year that drew only 1,600 fans. They only average 3-4,000 per game in football. Worse than Indiana State. At least ISU Blue has the potential to increase their attendance.

I would have to say an emphatic NO on MSU-Mankato. it's just bringing back the whole old NCC, and I don't think NDSU wants that. Not after the way we were treated by the NCC in the final years.

I think UND and USD would be considered if there's expansion, but they wouldn't be sure slam-dunks. You also have to consider, like what was said, schools like EIU, Butler, Drake, WSU bringing back football, etc.

I would be for UND and USD joining the MVFC sometime in the future if it meant a guarantee that mo more former NCC schools would be allowed to join the conference. (And if USD does improvements on their dome)
I wouldn't worry about MSU, Mankato (note: it is a comma, not a hyphen, between the MSU and the Mankato... I actually got points deducted off a paper for having that wrong!), as I have first hand knowledge of the budget cuts going on around the entire school (I'm currently a grad student there).

Also, even if there was money at the school, don't think for one second that the U of Minnesota wouldn't do everything in their power to keep any other Minnesota School from going DI (except in hockey). I am convinced that was one of the main reasons they decided to stay DII in the first place.

Big Al
April 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM

BAaahahaahahahah!

I think those two schools were separated at birth.

Twentysix
April 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Not that i knwo anything about them but UM-Duluth would probably mix well. EIU, drakes legit, witchita!+++++
UNOmaha.

Shockerman
April 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
BAaahahaahahahah!

I think those two schools were separated at birth.

NDSU fans talk Chit because they have what, 8 national championships in Football? Wichita State suffers from little brother syndrome as KU and K-State do everything possible to put us down. I would love to see a NDSU-WSU football game. Those are two very passionate fan bases that would instantly create a fierce rivalry. UNI and SWMSU fans hate us becuase we average more in basketball than they do in Football. Plus, we have a 30,000 seat stadium on campus that is begging for Football to come back.

crunifan
April 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
NDSU fans talk Chit because they have what, 8 national championships in Football? Wichita State suffers from little brother syndrome as KU and K-State do everything possible to put us down. I would love to see a NDSU-WSU football game. Those are two very passionate fan bases that would instantly create a fierce rivalry. UNI and SWMSU fans hate us becuase we average more in basketball than they do in Football. Plus, we have a 30,000 seat stadium on campus that is begging for Football to come back.

And Shocker fans hate us because we got to 5 NCAA tournaments in 7 years (with one Sweet Sixteen beating nationally ranked #1 big brother KU), 2 regular season MVC titles, 3 conference titles, and we have had your number for the better part of a decade head to head all "with inferior talent, facilities, and coaching." xnodx

Twentysix
April 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM

We have NC's in everything. well..alot of sports :P

I believe you are right with 8.

Redbird Ray
April 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
It's like ValleyTalk just entered AGS. Like it or not, UNI has become the premier hoops program in the MVC.

But back to football, I think most fans in the Valley would love to see WSU get their football program back. Everyone in the Valley respects Shocker fans enthusiasm so much, we would all just love to see all of that energy translate onto the field/stadium/tailgate etc. Not to mention, a WSU return would almost definitely be a stepping stone for getting the MVFC back to FBS football (different topic).

Oh well, here's hoping that Cessna writes a huge check to WSU someday! xrolleyesx

MSUBear42
April 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
We have NC's in everything. well..alot of sports :P

I believe you are right with 8.

Yea, in D2! Might as well be NAIA or D3, for all 99% of the U.S. cares ;)

UNI Pike
April 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Could happen eventually, but then again, eventually we're all dead. Which would happen first?

BearsCountry
April 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM
If we had to expand:
1) Wichita State
2) Drake
3) Butler
4) Texas State
5) UTSA
6) South Dakota
7) North Dakota
8) Nebraska-Omaha
9) Central Missouri
10) Minnesota State

I would rather move up to FBS, that expand to some of those locales.

ysubigred
April 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM
If we had to expand:
1) Wichita State
2) Drake
3) Butler
4) Texas State
5) UTSA
6) South Dakota
7) North Dakota
8) Nebraska-Omaha
9) Central Missouri
10) Minnesota State

I'd like to see a MAC reject or two.

Kent State or Akron or both xhurrayx Also put Dayton in there and all would be well in Y-town land xprayx

TheBisonator
April 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM

I'd LOVE to see the Shockers bring back football. I did some calculations recently, and found out that with ticket sales at an average of 15,000 per game for 6 home games, a WSU football program would almost pay for itself. Just throw in some corporate sponsorship and sell some suites, and you would be there. Seriously, you don't need startup costs of tens of millions. Just start a season ticket drive, try to sell 10,000 season tickets and go from there. Even if the program budget starts at only 2 million annually, it's a start. Raise ticket prices from there.

All I'm trying to say is that it could be done RIGHT NOW with a ticket drive.

Redbird Ray
April 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
If we had to expand:
1) Wichita State
2) Drake
3) Butler
4) Texas State
5) UTSA
6) South Dakota
7) North Dakota
8) Nebraska-Omaha
9) Central Missouri
10) Minnesota State

Texas State would be an interesting addition should the MVC ever go FBS as a conference. Because less than half of current MVC/MVFC members are even close to ready for an FBS move, we would need to steal other FBS newcomers and otehr established FBS programs. Texas State, North Texas, New Mexico State, Tulsa, and Arkansas State would be ideal for this. I would say UTSA but it seems like they have their targers set on a more prominent conference.

More realistically though, I'm not sure if Texas State would want to travel those distances in conference just for FCS, when they are already in a perfectly viable FCS conference as is.

Central Missouri is an interesting choice. Illinois State opens up the season with them, and I know it's not going to be an easy game. Great mascot as well.

UNI Pike
April 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
UNI will never be going to be an FBS program under the current rules. The one caveat to that is the State of Iowa sells the university to Warren Buffet in a budget move. Then, and only then, a slight chance.

MplsBison
April 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
If we had to expand:
1) Wichita State
2) Drake
3) Butler
4) Texas State
5) UTSA
6) South Dakota
7) North Dakota
8) Nebraska-Omaha
9) Central Missouri
10) Minnesota State

I'd like to kick out the outliers like Missouri State and move the conference footprint farther north.

achrist70
April 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
While I would love to see Wichita bring football back, is there any chance of NW Missouri State, or Pittsburg State moving up, those have been two very successful D II programs.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Supposidly USD (that's South Dakota) head coach claims that MVFC is 90% for going to a 12 team, 2 division league.

That from the Sioux Falls, SD newspaper's SDSU beat writer: http://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/statuses/12618164782

Redbird Ray
April 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Assuming UND and USD are members 10 and 11, who becomes number 12?

I would like to see Drake move up to scholarship football but don't think that will happen. I could see Eastern Illinois or Southeast Missouri State dropping out of the OVC and joining the MVFC/Summit.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM

I would like to see Drake move up to scholarship football but don't think that will happen. I could see Eastern Illinois or Southeast Missouri State dropping out of the OVC and joining the MVFC/Summit.

Eastern Illinois and SE Missouri State are both all sports members of the OVC, correct? Aren't they obligated to play football in the OVC unless non-scholarship like member Morehead State? Why would they consider joining the MVFC unless a full membership for all sports in the MVC is offered? Geographically, the OVC makes more sense.

FWIW, back when I was working on my "perfect" conferences, I put IN State and Southern Illinois in the OVC. IN State because they are so close to EIU. Then SIU because they were so close to Murray State, Austin Peay, TN-Martin, SEMO, TSU, etc. And probably because Carbondale, IL is closer to the Ohio Valley (might actually be in the Ohio River watershed, darn close if not) than the Missouri Valley (on the other side of the Mississippi). I figured that North and South Dakota were destined for the MVFC. xtwocentsx

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM

Drake would be perfect for a Northern/Western division. Dakotas and Iowans vs. Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio.

Redbird Ray
April 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Drake would be perfect for a Northern/Western division. Dakotas and Iowans vs. Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio.

My thoughts exactly. I would love to be able to have a conference championship game as well. I wonder if a neutral site game in St. Louis (I know, much closer ot the southern side of the conference) or maybe the quad cities (not really sure where, maybe the minor league stadium?) would draw well?

And in response to the OVC question for EIU and SEMO, you're probably right about EIU and SEMO not wanting to leave the cushy all-sport deals they have in the OVC to join a more difficult football only league, and search for another conference for other sports. I guess I just can't think of too many other qualified members for a 12th MVFC spot.

NDB
April 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Patty V has stated repeatedly that a 9 member football conference is ideal.

Outside of USD's coach who has a history of making 'bold statements' ie (bullsh#t), there has been no talk about this anywhere.

Redbird Ray
April 23rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
My thoughts exactly. I would love to be able to have a conference championship game as well. I wonder if a neutral site game in St. Louis (I know, much closer ot the southern side of the conference) or maybe the quad cities (not really sure where, maybe the minor league stadium?) would draw well?

Actually, Toyota Park in Bridgeview (just outside Chicago, home of the MLS Chicago Fire), would be perfect for this. Don't think we could get Soldier Field.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM

Outside of USD's coach who has a history of making 'bold statements' ie (bullsh#t), there has been no talk about this anywhere.

She will change her mind. xrulesx

Redbird Ray
April 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM

Patty V sucks. But it wouldn't surprise me if all of this is just the pipe dream of some spastic coach. I know i wouldn't mind seeing an expanded league. Illinois State already has games scheduled against South Dakota for 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Patty V is one of the most respected commissioners around. You want to tell us why you are trashing her? It is always interesting to see how out of touch with reality that some fans are. Do you think the MVFC would be where it is without Patty V's leadership?

doolittledog
April 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
How about. Which schools would be on the MVFC wishlist if current members were to move on...either to FBS or to another conference in FCS? Say Illinois St. and Youngstown St. were to leave. Would it be obvious to try to add USD and UND? Or are there other schools...like Eastern Illinois or SEMO out of the OVC that would be a better fit?

Redbird Ray
April 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Patty V is one of the most respected commissioners around. You want to tell us why you are trashing her? It is always interesting to see how out of touch with reality that some fans are. Do you think the MVFC would be where it is without Patty V's leadership?

Any commisioner who routinely downplays the quality of the conference they are the face of, is a poor commisioner. No matter what the make-up of one's conference may be, that conference should always be presented to the public as the best in the nation. Saying the MVFC is only worthy of maybe two bids, and saying that playoff expansion will not help the MVFC, while maybe true, is still unacceptable.

Now, while I am not a university AD or big time booster, I may be out of touch with her prowess as a facilitator. But as an advocate for the conference, she sucks balls. So please, tell me, where would the MVFC be without her guidance?

And please, do not credit her with adding the Dakota States. Those teams were practically begging to be a part of the MVFC (just as USD and UND appear to be doing). I find it hard to believe she is the reason our conference is one of the toughest in the nation. At the FCS level, that credit has to go to the individual AD's and universities.

The bottom line about the MVFC is the fact that we have almost no exposure in our own markets, we have schools on the verge of dropping to non-scholarship football, and we have a commisioner that seems to be content with all of this, while undermining the quality of play in the conference.

If these are traits that garner hoards of respect among the circles of influence in FCS, then I suppose that quality of leadership is indicitive of why FCS is a joke for most people who follow college football.

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Your remarks show you are pretty clueless on the respect others have for Patty V and for the influence she carries in FCS. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few other conferences with a commissioner as capable as Patty. She has done her best with a lot of tough stuff to overcome.

Also, I don't think many of us who love and work around FCS consider FCS a joke in college football.

TheBisonator
April 24th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Any commisioner who routinely downplays the quality of the conference they are the face of, is a poor commisioner. No matter what the make-up of one's conference may be, that conference should always be presented to the public as the best in the nation. Saying the MVFC is only worthy of maybe two bids, and saying that playoff expansion will not help the MVFC, while maybe true, is still unacceptable.

Now, while I am not a university AD or big time booster, I may be out of touch with her prowess as a facilitator. But as an advocate for the conference, she sucks balls. So please, tell me, where would the MVFC be without her guidance?

And please, do not credit her with adding the Dakota States. Those teams were practically begging to be a part of the MVFC (just as USD and UND appear to be doing). I find it hard to believe she is the reason our conference is one of the toughest in the nation. At the FCS level, that credit has to go to the individual AD's and universities.

The bottom line about the MVFC is the fact that we have almost no exposure in our own markets, we have schools on the verge of dropping to non-scholarship football, and we have a commisioner that seems to be content with all of this, while undermining the quality of play in the conference.

If these are traits that garner hoards of respect among the circles of influence in FCS, then I suppose that quality of leadership is indicitive of why FCS is a joke for most people who follow college football.

As for the bolded part, I can tell you that NDSU football is #1 in the Fargo media's sports mind, and SDSU sports I believe are usually on top in the Sioux Falls media. So what you said cannot be said for the DSU's.

achrist70
April 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
As for the bolded part, I can tell you that NDSU football is #1 in the Fargo media's sports mind, and SDSU sports I believe are usually on top in the Sioux Falls media. So what you said cannot be said for the DSU's.

You are one of the lucky FCS teams with that luxury being the biggest fish in your pond. Most FCS are after thoughts for the media outlets in there area.

Squealofthepig
April 25th, 2010, 09:08 AM
For a 12th team, what about encouraging Northwest Missouri State to move up to FCS? Would mean the Bears of Missouri State would go with the Illinois schools and the Bearcats would be a more natural fit west.

I know, won't happen, but that would be an interesting move, and would fill a bit of a hole between the east and west divisions with a quality team.

Redbird Ray
April 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Your remarks show you are pretty clueless on the respect others have for Patty V and for the influence she carries in FCS. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few other conferences with a commissioner as capable as Patty. She has done her best with a lot of tough stuff to overcome.

Also, I don't think many of us who love and work around FCS consider FCS a joke in college football.

It's difficult for me to take such a vague declaration seriously. Patty V still sucks. Balls.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
You are one of the lucky FCS teams with that luxury being the biggest fish in your pond. Most FCS are after thoughts for the media outlets in there area.

Other than Montana, N Dak, S Dak, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island, every other state either doesn't have college football (Alaska, Vermont) or has an FBS team in the state (the rest). And you have to wonder if RI's football team is the most popular college football team in their own state. Possibly the same is true in NH and ME.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Other than Montana, N Dak, S Dak, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island, every other state either doesn't have college football (Alaska, Vermont) or has an FBS team in the state (the rest). And you have to wonder if RI's football team is the most popular college football team in their own state. Possibly the same is true in NH and ME.

West coast Bias.... You forgot a little state that has Blue Hens running all over it. xlolx

MplsBison
April 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM
West coast Bias.... You forgot a little state that has Blue Hens running all over it. xlolx

Whoops!

Sorry, I have a hard time remembering "states" that small.

BearsCountry
April 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM
For a 12th team, what about encouraging Northwest Missouri State to move up to FCS? Would mean the Bears of Missouri State would go with the Illinois schools and the Bearcats would be a more natural fit west.

I know, won't happen, but that would be an interesting move, and would fill a bit of a hole between the east and west divisions with a quality team.

Great team but Northwest is a perfect D2 school. They could compete in football but that is it. Central Missouri is the only D2 in the state that could move up. They have the budget, facilities, and are close to KC to make it happen.

BearsCountry
April 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM

Elgin would be better.

MplsBison
April 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I'd like to see a commissioner who will be an advocate for Dakotas expansion of the conferences.

If that's Patty, then great.

BearsCountry
April 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'd like to kick out the outliers like Missouri State and move the conference footprint farther north.

Thats funny considering the majority of the schools are within a 4 hour window around St. Louis. xrolleyesx

MplsBison
April 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Thats funny considering the majority of the schools are within a 4 hour window around St. Louis. xrolleyesx

Within 4 hour drive of St Louis?

Yes:

Southern IL
Western IL
IL St
IN St

No:

Youngstown
UNI
NDSU
SDSU
(UND)
(USD)
(Drake)

MO St is right on the 4 hr mark

Redbird Ray
April 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Elgin would be better.

If Elgin was our commisioner, the MVC would be an FBS conference again.

BearsCountry
April 28th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Within 4 hour drive of St Louis?

Yes:

Southern IL
Western IL
IL St
IN St

No:

Youngstown
UNI
NDSU
SDSU
(UND)
(USD)
(Drake)

MO St is right on the 4 hr mark

Springfield isn't 4 hours from Springfield. Its a 3 hour drive at best.

5 out of the 9 MVFC schools are within 4 hours of St. Louis. UNI is at 5 hours away. Thats a majority.

MSUBear42
April 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM

5 out of the 9 MVFC schools are within 4 hours of St. Louis. UNI is at 5 hours away. Thats a majority.

I love how newbie school thinks that just because they join the conference should shift because of them! I mean, just look at how successful NDSU has been in the MVFC xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

mmiller_34
April 28th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Yes, BUT. SDSU is about 1 1/2 hours east of the Missouri River?

JBB
April 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I love how newbie school thinks that just because they join the conference should shift because of them! I mean, just look at how successful NDSU has been in the MVFC xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

You arent going to find much support from the Mighty Dakota Land Grants for admission of the the other Dakota schools. Expansion is something that has to appeal to the majority of the conference. I personally dont like the idea because it simply recreates a past arraignment with schools that havent exactly been allies of the Mighty Dakota Land Grants.

Going FBS would be the best thing of those two alternatives.

JBB
April 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM

They would make a nice addition to the Summit League too. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I'm simply stating the obvious: UND and USD are the best and most obvious candidates for expansion and divisional play.

89rabbit
April 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100429/SPORTS/100429014/1002/sports

First Pitch: Missouri Valley not ready for Coyotes just yet

Terry Vandrovec • Argus Leader Media • April 29, 2010

It’s no secret that the University of South Dakota aspires to join the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Coyotes coach Ed Meierkort said as much again last week during an Internet talk show. In fact, he went a step beyond and suggested that a vast majority of the current members are in favor of expanding.

But the league office doesn’t seem so certain about growing in the near future.

“I don’t doubt there’s been some conversation at the coaches’ level,” Valley commissioner Patty Viverito said. “But that’s not where decisions get made – they get made by the presidents. There have been zero conversations about expansion at the presidential level. That I can say unequivocally.” . . . (read more)

MplsBison
April 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
UND and USD are coming up on year three of a five year contract with the Great West.

When that contract is through is just about the perfect time that I suspect both will be well situated in the Summit League and when the MVFC will extend invitations for both to join the conference.

That will be about the right time for the NDSU-UND and SDSU-USD rivalries to resume every year.

BearsCountry
April 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Elgin was on St. Louis radio today saying that MVC, the real league, might be "forced to" to go to 12 teams based on what happens with a possible massive realignment. If I was NDSU and SDSU I would be kissing butt to the other MVFC schools that are in the Valley.

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Elgin was on St. Louis radio today saying that MVC, the real league, might be "forced to" to go to 12 teams based on what happens with a possible massive realignment. If I was NDSU and SDSU I would be kissing butt to the other MVFC schools that are in the Valley.

In my personal opinon: thanks, but no thanks.

We have a really good thing going in the Summit League and it's about to get better with the addition of UND and USD!

The MVC showed its true colors this year with only 1 bid to the NCAA MBB tournament.

I like NDSU's chances to be competitive and get back to the big dance much better in the Summit than the MVC and I think once all four of the Dakota flagships get rolling in DI bball, we can be just as competitive as the MVC when you throw in schools like Oral Roberts and Oakland.

89rabbit
April 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM

We have a really good thing going in the Summit League and it's about to get better with the addition of UND and USD!

The MVC showed its true colors this year with only 1 bid to the NCAA MBB tournament.

I like NDSU's chances to be competitive and get back to the big dance much better in the Summit than the MVC and I think once all four of the Dakota flagships get rolling in DI bball, we can be just as competitive as the MVC when you throw in schools like Oral Roberts and Oakland.

Speaking of true colors, please don't pretend to speak for NDSU, SDSU or our fan bases. xliarx

achrist70
April 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Do you honestly believe that?

Yes the Valley only had one team in the tournament but what did that one team do in the tournament. Wichita and ISU Red were both teams talented enough to make the tournament however got thrown under do to Big 6 bias.

Oakland a team that went 17-1 in the summit would have been lucky to avoid finishing in the bottom 4 of the Valley.

mmiller_34
April 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Don't be ridiculous, the Summit League is terrible compared to the Missouri Valley. If SDSU and NDSU got the "go" to be in the Valley, they would.

UNIFanSince1983
April 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
When was the last time the Summit had more than 1 team in the tournament?

Just recently the Valley had 4 teams in 2006. 2 of those went to the Sweet Sixteen. The next year we got two in with one in the Sweet Sixteen. This year then we only get 1, but that team made it past the overall #1 seed and was on the verge of the Elite Eight. Oakland a team you speak highly of dominated the Summit and got blown out in the first round.

I digress as this isn't even a debate. The Summit finished 24th in conference RPI while the Valley finished 7th. I just can't imagine the meltdown C0ld would have if the agreed to add the DSU's to the Valley for basketball. Most Valley fans still consider it a dark day when they let UNI and Evansville in.

Redbird Ray
April 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
This question is probably better for ValleyTalk, but since I'm just now hearing this, which schools (if any) did Elgin mention for MVC expansion? I have to think STL, DePaul (this is not as crazy as it sounds) and Butler have to be on the radar.

If we had any sort of cohesion between the MVC and Valley Football, then the Dakota States would be my next option after a series of more proven private schools. The Dakota states have a bright future on the football side, and if they can help us merge football into the Valley (with the future potential for an FBS league) then I am all for it.

But, knowing how the MVC and Valley Football work, I would not be surprised if our expansion targets for the MVC are something like Murray State and Oral Roberts. Which wouldn't be bad additions, but also would not exactly shake a mid-major label anytime soon either.

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Don't be ridiculous, the Summit League is terrible compared to the Missouri Valley. If SDSU and NDSU got the "go" to be in the Valley, they would.

Question for you (I don't know): what are the average MBB budgets, head coach's salaries and average attendances of the MVC public schools?

If NDSU and SDSU were to get in at that level, I have a feeling we would not see the NCAA MBB tournament for 20 years. It would be like jumping up to FBS straight from DII.

I like what we have going in the Summit with the Dakota flagships. I'd rather that we build ourselves up to the level of the MVC schools in avg attendance, HC's salary and budget in the Summit first, while getting a Dakota flagship in the Big Dance every other year, before we consider moving up to a higher league.

My $0.02.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM
It's an interesting situation in the Valley. If they admit to basketball being the top sport, then expansion with St. Louis and Butler could be a big help.

But if the future of the conference is to form a stable all-sports conference, complete with football, then looking towards the Dakotas makes sense. The compromise could be to expand with the 4 Dakota schools, have the 5 current football members, and have a solid 9 teams for football...and a total of 14 teams for all-sports (4 private schools).

It's a big number though, but a 7-7 split in divisions would cut back on travel since it would mean only 3-4 road games versus the other division members.

BearsCountry
April 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
When was the last time the Summit had more than 1 team in the tournament?

And guess which two teams that was.

UNIFanSince1983
April 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
It was UNI and MSU wasn't it?

BearsCountry
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
It was UNI and MSU wasn't it?

Yep. xnodx

BearsCountry
April 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
It's an interesting situation in the Valley. If they admit to basketball being the top sport, then expansion with St. Louis and Butler could be a big help.

Thats the big kicker. The MVC schools and UMass are really the only schools that have a major concern where does moving up help one sport or hurt the other big one. And that same thing flows into expanding the conference as well - do you go the football route or basketball route. MVC is a pretty unique conference.

Redbird Ray
April 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thats the big kicker. The MVC schools and UMass are really the only schools that have a major concern where does moving up help one sport or hurt the other big one. And that same thing flows into expanding the conference as well - do you go the football route or basketball route. MVC is a pretty unique conference.

The MVC can defnitely do the basketball route much easier and quicker. But I think the football route would be more fun, even if it meant a downgrade in bball quality.

But think about this FBS conference:

Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
Wichita State (common Cessna/Airbus)
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa (pending budget issues)
Arkansas State* (I think they would do this for geography)
Western Kentucky* (Their AD hates Sun Belt bball, I think this would be better)

*Already FBS

If that's an all sport conference it's no worse than the Sun Belt for fball, and has the potential for 2 bids for bball (I'm thinking WACish level).

I could go for this.

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 05:03 PM
The MVC can defnitely do the basketball route much easier and quicker. But I think the football route would be more fun, even if it meant a downgrade in bball quality.

Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

*Already FBS

If that's an all sport conference it's no worse than the Sun Belt for fball, and has the potential for 2 bids for bball (I'm thinking WACish level).

I could go for this.

NDSU in a conference with teams from Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri is not ideal long term.

By the time the new NCAA rules come out, all of these teams would first have to be invited to the FBS by an existing FBS conference and then they would have to all leave to form a new FBS conference together. I don't see it.

MVC is better off upgrading their bball profile, which means Butler.

BearsCountry
April 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

*Already FBS

I could go for this.

I could go for Arkansas State but maybe switch the Wolves out for Northern Illinois.

Houndawg
May 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
12 teams is too many, making the playoffs becomes a matter of which conference teams your schedule doesn't include. I'm all for upgrading MVC football but keeping the number of teams fixed.

If that means we have to replace non-performers like NDSU and InSU, so be it.

JBB
May 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Houndawg has a great idea. Lets change the conference structure every year. The bottom three teams are out and will be replaced with 3 new ones. Absolute genius.

xthumbsupx

JBB
May 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Its not like the MVC has its pick of schools. There are only 2 that are clamoring to get in, UND and USD. After that you are looking at D2s that might move up or schools starting brand new football programs. Its fun to talk about new arraignments but its just not realistic. 10 or 11 thats the choice.

I dont want 11. Its only advantage is the fixed travel costs, you know where you are going and what it will cost but thats the end of the OOC schedule we have now. A warm up game, a chance to play an FCS game out of the neighborhood and and FBS money game. With 11 choose 1.

10 is an odd number for a football conference but it does allow for 2 OOC games. I dont think thats enough. You have to give up something and you dont get anything back. But, if 10 were the number and if the move is about cost containment, it is USD.

Both UND and USD are out there and will be happy to schedule any school in the MVC, well UND isnt because they turned down 2 offers from NDSU, but USD certainly isnt that idiotic. They are on the NDSU schedule and will always be out there. You dont need them in the conference to get them on the schedule.

The Argus Leader, from Sioux Falls SD, has checked in:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100429/SPORTS/100429014/1002/sports

MplsBison
May 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
12 teams is too many, making the playoffs becomes a matter of which conference teams your schedule doesn't include. I'm all for upgrading MVC football but keeping the number of teams fixed.

Nice cheap shot at NDSU. Even though we finished above IN St and Western Ill.

Lets see if SIU can beat NDSU in the Fargodome first? I seem to remember we ruined poor Dale's "homecoming" to Fargo in 2008! xlolx

CollegeSportsInfo
May 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
One thing is for sure, if the day comes when all 4 Dakota schools are in the MVFC, it will leave Cal-Poly and UC Davis in a tough spot. It's really a shame that the Big Sky doesn't budge on it's affiliate members stance. Seems that they'd really be lending a hand to Sac St and NAU if they allowed what would be the remaining 3 GW teams in for football only:

Montana
Montana St.
Weber St.
Idaho St.
NoCo
EWU

Portland St.
Sac St.
* Cal Poly
* UC Davis
* SUU
Northern Arizona

And no, no championship games.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
By the time all four Dakota flagships are in the MVFC, the Big Sky may cease to exist in its current form.

JBB
May 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
The Mighty Dakota Land Grants, USD & UND will never be in the MVC together. There is just no scenario that makes any sense for the UxDs to join. There will have to be major changes. Never is a long time but there is nothing out there to indicate circumstances will ever exists to make it a sensible conference move. xcoolx

Its more likely that a new FBS conference would be formed and the UxDs would join the MVC schools that didnt want to make the move, or those schools would join the GWC. Maybe a GWC/BSC hybrid is in the cards. Thats is probably the best the UxDs can hope for.

TheBisonator
May 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM

You don't get rid of a team because of a lull in their recruiting cycle. NDSU will be back, mark my words. We may not compete for the NC every single year, but we'll be one of the better programs. I can guarantee you that 3-8 was an abberation. There was a cancer in our program's system last season that affected our play on the field. The cancer is all but removed now. Bison fans have no where to look but up.

Houndawg
May 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Houndawg has a great idea. Lets change the conference structure every year. The bottom three teams are out and will be replaced with 3 new ones. Absolute genius.

xthumbsupx

About every 4-5 years would be right.xthumbsupx Works great in other sports, keeps the quality of the product up.

doolittledog
May 4th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Bottom 3 teams trade places with D2 schools...and the top 3 teams trade places with FBS teams. That could be fun. It's just like pretty much every pro league in the world except the pro leagues in our country!!!

Just imagine SIU trading places with NIU and NDSU trading places with Concordia-Mooreheadxviolinx

Redbird Ray
May 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I would rather just have the MAC, Sun Belt, and Boise-less WAC drop down to FCS where they all belong, and in the process, increase the exposure of FCS football dramatically. But that probably won't ever happen.

gobison.gsb
May 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Bottom 3 teams trade places with D2 schools...and the top 3 teams trade places with FBS teams. That could be fun. It's just like pretty much every pro league in the world except the pro leagues in our country!!!

Just imagine SIU trading places with NIU and NDSU trading places with Concordia-Mooreheadxviolinx

Well, first of all, interesting choice, but 1. it's just Concordia (and it's in Moorhead, not Moorehead). 2. they're not D2, so that doesn't work, and 3. what's with all the stomping of NDSU?

MplsBison
May 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Well, first of all, interesting choice, but 1. it's just Concordia (and it's in Moorhead, not Moorehead). 2. they're not D2, so that doesn't work, and 3. what's with all the stomping of NDSU?

It's a latent backlash against NDSU for having two 10-1 seasons in 06 and 07, in which NDSU would've gone deep into the playoffs/competed for the NC both years.

Then NDSU had an average year in 08 and a terrible year in 09, which were unfortunately the first two MVFC seasons.

So a lot of the MVFC schools like to pretend in their minds that it was all over-hype and that NDSU can't actually compete at the MVFC's level.

They'll find out soon enough.

Redbird Ray
May 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
It's a latent backlash against NDSU for having two 10-1 seasons in 06 and 07, in which NDSU would've gone deep into the playoffs/competed for the NC both years.

Then NDSU had an average year in 08 and a terrible year in 09, which were unfortunately the first two MVFC seasons.

So a lot of the MVFC schools like to pretend in their minds that it was all over-hype and that NDSU can't actually compete at the MVFC's level.

I hope so. North Dakota State is one of the few schools that FCS needs to be a heavyweight. Any of the schools with FBS-like fanbases/atmospheres, need to be consistent national title contenders in order for FCS football to gain more of a mainstream audience.

I would put Montana, App State, Youngstown State, JMU, Texas State, Portland State, Delaware, and anyone else planning on building a 20K+ capacity stadium in the near future in this group as well.

Houndawg
May 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Coincidence?

I think not.

MplsBison
May 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Coincidence?

I think not.

Well, then you're a fool and you'll be proven wrong, if not this year then the next.

UNIFanSince1983
May 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well, then you're a fool and you'll be proven wrong, if not this year then the next.

If it happens I will be prepared to eat crow, but I am afraid I don't think it will happen.

UNI Pike
May 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Eventually NDSU will have a winning season in the MVFC, and probably a title. And eventually, we'll all be dead. Question is, which happens first?

JBB
May 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Eventually NDSU will have a winning season in the MVFC, and probably a title. And eventually, we'll all be dead. Question is, which happens first?

I have a hard time taking that comment seiously! xrolleyesx

You really shouldnt be wishing for your own death or anyone elses. It seems rather macabre. xtwocentsx

Im not sure if NDSU will restore its proud traditions this year or not, but I do know UNI had very little luck recruting against the BISON. Hope those second choices provide you with a competitive team.

NDSU is the largest program in the MVC. Win or lose it is the conference flagship. UNI has very little to brag about but they do have a competitive football team. After getting the stuffing knocked out of you in Fargo last year things went downhill fast.

Next time maybe UNI wont be so eager to add schools. 12 is out of the question because there are no programs available. Adding a couple from the GWC simply takes away opportunities from the exiting conference members. Until there are real options out there talk of 12 is simply meaningless, if not interesting speculation.

UNIFanSince1983
May 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM

You really shouldnt be wishing for your own death or anyone elses. It seems rather macabre. xtwocentsx

Im not sure if NDSU will restore its proud traditions this year or not, but I do know UNI had very little luck recruting against the BISON. Hope those second choices provide you with a competitive team.

NDSU is the largest program in the MVC. Win or lose it is the conference flagship. UNI has very little to brag about but they do have a competitive football team. After getting the stuffing knocked out of you in Fargo last year things went downhill fast.

Next time maybe UNI wont be so eager to add schools. 12 is out of the question because there are no programs available. Adding a couple from the GWC simply takes away opportunities from the exiting conference members. Until there are real options out there talk of 12 is simply meaningless, if not interesting speculation.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/jjfreak5/NDSUFlagship.jpg

BearsCountry
May 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
NDSU is the largest program in the MVC. Win or lose it is the conference flagship.

xrolleyesx

JBB
May 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
LOL. Nice post UNI fan! xthumbsupx

Hey when you are 3-8 having the highest attendance in the league gets really important! xpeacex

MplsBison
May 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM

We have the highest average attendance in the conference and one of the highest, if not the highest football budget.

Sorry, you don't just stay mediocre long term when you are a "have" program to the extent that NDSU is in the FCS. Either we will win this year or next or Bohl will be out and we'll just hire away one of your coaches who can win in the conference. Simple as that.

You pretending that NDSU will stay "down" in the MVFC is tantamount to pretending that Ohio State would stay down in the Big Ten for an extended period of time. Don't bet on it.

Redbird Ray
May 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I would suggest using some of that football budget to replace the Fargodome astroturf with whatever the hell everyone else is using now.

But don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of NDSU and hope you guys can become a force in the MVFC. NDSU fans enthusiasm for the MVFC is similar to what Wichita fans bring in MVC hoops.

TheBisonator
May 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Again, I have to try to defend my team again. All you UNI and SIU fans, if you seriously think that 3-8/4-7 will be the norm for NDSU in the next 10 years in the MVFC, you are living in CooCoo Land. Look, I know the coaches personally. I know the kind of crap the team had to deal with the past 18 months. The flood of last year probably did more damage to the team's training/conditioning potential than any of you will ever know. We had almost NO spring camp last year. THAT TAKES A TOLL. We had probably one of the worst QB's in our schools history starting the past two seasons. This year there's been no flood, we had a full, healthy spring camp, good new coaches coming in, only one police incident on our team this spring (down from the 5 or 6 we had last spring), and the two guys in that incident were immediately kicked off the team. This team is getting better. I repeat: THIS TEAM IS GETTING BETTER. I am not predicting playoffs for us this year. But you have seen the worst of NDSU football already 6 months ago. We already passed our nadir point. Our program is in an upward state now. those of you predicting 2-9 for the Bison have no clue where this program has been or where it is going.

Bison will be most likely 6-5 with an outside chance at 7-4. Possibility of 5-3 in the conference.

Khan4Cats
May 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM
All I can say is that if the Valley is to expand we REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to get Wichita State to re-start football.

The Threads of chest puffing between NDSU and WSU fans will be EPIC!!!

The games themselves will likely be boring, winner claims 6th place, type of contests. But hell, it will still be worth the fun just to watch the threads blow up.

And then UNI and SIU can go back to battling for the actual league title on a regular basis with the occasional SDSU-type peak year thrown in.

TheBisonator
May 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Keep telling yourselves that NDSU will always be in the MVFC cellar, UNI fans. keep deluding yourselves. It'll be that much better for us when we finally get our s%&t together and make a run at the title...

MplsBison
May 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
All I can say is that if the Valley is to expand we REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to get Wichita State to re-start football.

The Threads of chest puffing between NDSU and WSU fans will be EPIC!!!

The games themselves will likely be boring, winner claims 6th place, type of contests. But hell, it will still be worth the fun just to watch the threads blow up.

And then UNI and SIU can go back to battling for the actual league title on a regular basis with the occasional SDSU-type peak year thrown in.

You deserve the right to talk garbage like this until we knock you off.

I'm counting the days...

Khan4Cats
May 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Keep telling yourselves that NDSU will always be in the MVFC cellar, UNI fans. keep deluding yourselves. It'll be that much better for us when we finally get our s%&t together and make a run at the title...

I'm counting the days...

Let me see, I think I've heard this before. When was it?

Oh yeah, about a decade ago. Another school with a 'national championship' pedigree and a fearsome homefield advantage with unlimited resources to spend to be the monster program in the conference.

The Penguins have had a little success here and there. Managed to win a NC despite being 2nd or 3rd in the conference that year. They even have a couple of co-championships to raise flags for.

But sustained dominance? Still waiting for it.

SIU has done it. UNI has done it.

Everyone else is fleeting.

BearsCountry
May 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Oh yeah, about a decade ago. Another school with a 'national championship' pedigree and a fearsome homefield advantage with unlimited resources to spend to be the monster program in the conference.

The Penguins have had a little success here and there. Managed to win a NC despite being 2nd or 3rd in the conference that year. They even have a couple of co-championships to raise flags for.

Yeah this NDSU does remind me alot of when Youngstown joined the league.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Tressel has proven to have been a big factor to consider when discussing YSU. He was 135-57-2 at YSU, including 4 championships and 10 playoff appearances in his 15 years there.

Since leaving YSU, the program has only had 3 season with less than 4 losses and only 1 playoff bid (in there 1st year in the Gateway if memory serves).

Redbird Ray
May 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I think Indiana State shocks the hell out of all of us and wins the Valley this year.

xcoolx

xlolx

MplsBison
May 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Please provide the official MVFC standard for "sustained dominance". This should be a hoot xrolleyesx

TheBisonator
May 6th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I feel so bad for myself, but I'm on MplsBison's side in this sub-debate (over NDSU's lack of dominance).

Now I need to take a 160 degree bleach shower.

ValleyChamp
May 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Good god.

Somebody bookmark this one. This post needs to be saved for all to see.

Houndawg
May 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Wqell, if the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is correct, there is already a parallel universe in another dimension where NDSU is actually competitive in the MVC.:D

Houndawg
May 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Well, if the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is correct, there is already a parallel universe in another dimension where NDSU is actually competitive in the MVC.:D

MSUBear42
May 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
NDSU is the largest program in the MVC. Win or lose it is the conference flagship.

xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

Houndawg
May 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I'm counting the days...

xwhistlex Hope you're under 40 years old.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
xwhistlex Hope you're under 40 years old.

We already knocked you off in 2008.

We can talk as much trash about your tied for 4th best in Illinois program as much as we want (behind Illinois, NW and Northern Ill, tied with Ill State).

UNIFanSince1983
May 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM
You may well beat us on September 11th. You may well finish higher in the conference this year, but how does one season mean you knocked us off?

MplsBison
May 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
You may well beat us on September 11th. You may well finish higher in the conference this year, but how does one season mean you knocked us off?

Because that's the definition of knocking you off?

Being knocked off doesn't imply that the team doing the knocking off will stay on top for any length of time.

UNIFanSince1983
May 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Well we weren't on top last year...So we have already been "knocked off". But if you really want me to consider us being "knocked off" you might have to win like 14 conference championships. I mean if you beat us and finish ahead of us after we had won like 3 straight or something that is knocking off. Beating a team that was 7-4 and missed the playoffs who lost the whole starting offensive line, and most of the defensive line as well as starting quarterback and many others I wouldn't say you have knocked anyone off. We probably won't even be ranked in the preseason.

Redbird Ray
May 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
This thread has not been about adding teams to the MVFC for about 5 pages now. I say we start a new off-season thread about MVFC trash talk. I'll get the ball rolling.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well we weren't on top last year...So we have already been "knocked off". But if you really want me to consider us being "knocked off" you might have to win like 14 conference championships. I mean if you beat us and finish ahead of us after we had won like 3 straight or something that is knocking off. Beating a team that was 7-4 and missed the playoffs who lost the whole starting offensive line, and most of the defensive line as well as starting quarterback and many others I wouldn't say you have knocked anyone off. We probably won't even be ranked in the preseason.

Already making excuses xlolx

Fine, put it this way: when we beat you in an MVFC conference game, I will consider it as knocking you off.

Of what? How about your ****ed high horse? xrolleyesx

Houndawg
May 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
We already knocked you off in 2008.

We can talk as much trash about your tied for 4th best in Illinois program as much as we want (behind Illinois, NW and Northern Ill, tied with Ill State).

xwhistlex The only quality win on your, what, 4-14?, record since joining the MVC you were supposedly to be too good to play in. xnodx. You'll never amount to much as long as the sheep continue to outnumber the people in ND.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2010, 07:23 AM
NDSU is 6-10 in MVFC games for the 2008 and 2009 seasons. They've beaten every team in the conference except UNI, SDSU and YSU, at least one of which will be defeated in the 2010 season!

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM
xwhistlex The only quality win on your, what, 4-14?, record since joining the MVC you were supposedly to be too good to play in. xnodx. You'll never amount to much as long as the sheep continue to outnumber the people in ND.

6-10 record actually.

(Dammit, Mpls is quick with the trigger.)

MSUBear42
May 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Am I hallucinating or didn't 'terrible' MSU beat you guys at the fearful dome last season?

ValleyChamp
May 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Am I hallucinating or didn't 'terrible' MSU beat you guys at the fearful shopping mall last season?

UNIFanSince1983
May 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Already making excuses xlolx

Fine, put it this way: when we beat you in an MVFC conference game, I will consider it as knocking you off.

Of what? How about your ****ed high horse? xrolleyesx

Fine if you want to see it that way go ahead.

I am not trying to make excuses. I am telling you how I see our team this year. We have a lot to replace. If our line improves we could have a very good season. If our line doesn't we will be in for a long one. Either way I am looking forward to September 11th!

Thundar
May 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Wow this thread has went down the toiletxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

LakesBison
May 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
THIS IS HILARIOUS> NO WAY THIS HAPPENS!

PS--- dont listen to ANYTHING Mplsbison says... he is a UND fan in ndsu's clothing.

PSS-- UNI will be "BISON HOME GAME" again.

ValleyChamp
May 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
PSS-- UNI will be "BISON HOME GAME" again.

You're probably right. It will be exactly like last time.xrulesx