PDA

View Full Version : looks like a new AD for the Hoyas....

CFBfan
April 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
here's a link naming Lee Reed from Cleveland State as the new AD for GU

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/csu/index.ssf/2010/04/cleveland_state_athletic_direc.html
who is this Guy?? coming from a small athleric program with NO football.....oh boy

Bogus Megapardus
April 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
coming from a small athletic program with NO football.....oh boy

I'm not sure if Cleveland State has many of the sports played at Georgetown. Wonder if he's ever heard of the Patriot League?

CFBfan
April 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure if Cleveland State has many of the sports played at Georgetown. Wonder if he's ever heard of the Patriot League?

his resume seems a bit underwhelming.....what a shame

Bogus Megapardus
April 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
CSU Athletic Director Lee Reed announces completion of FCS non-scholarship football feasibility study:

http://www.csuvikings.com/genrel/100909aaa.html

At least he tried . . . .

DFW HOYA
April 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Cleveland State has 17 sports, Georgetown 29. The sports sponsored at Georgetown that are not on the CSU roster include:

Men's: Cross Country, Football, Lacrosse, Rowing, Sailing, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track
Women's: Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Rowing, Sailing, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track

Notwithstanding, his former job was at Eastern Michigan, which does sponsor football, track, etc. I woudln't read much into sport selection for a AD job that, frankly, probably dissuaded more candidates than it attracted.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
At least the Hoyas have an AD now to at least have a point man some of these lingering issues. Encouragingly, when he was approached about the issue of starting FB at Cleveland State he came up with a feasible, reasonable solution.

I see some similarities with his old position - an urban campus - and G'Town is also clearly a step up for Reed, too. He could be a really good fit - and might give football a kick-start in DC, too.

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I hope Cleveland State didn't pay too much for that FCS feasibility study, though. An average AGS poster could have written it off the top of his head.

Fordham
April 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Cleveland State has 17 sports, Georgetown 29. The sports sponsored at Georgetown that are not on the CSU roster include:

Men's: Cross Country, Football, Lacrosse, Rowing, Sailing, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track
Women's: Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Rowing, Sailing, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track

Notwithstanding, his former job was at Eastern Michigan, which does sponsor football, track, etc. I woudln't read much into sport selection for a AD job that, frankly, probably dissuaded more candidates than it attracted.
Good luck with him, DFW.

What's the deal with your alumni, and specifically football alum, support clubs/groups? Are they active? If so, hope you guys are all over this guy to get him to know right off the bat that there's a group out there who cares about the sport.

Again, good luck.

RichH2
April 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately luck will not be much help for GU w/o increased support from school. Certainly a better situation for GU with an AD. I do have some confidence that he must be competent given the extent of the GU search but it would appear that there will be a steep learning curve for him. Lets see what he can do . For DFW and the PL I hope that he can put more emphasis on the FB program

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I hope Cleveland State didn't pay too much for that FCS feasibility study, though. An average AGS poster could have written it off the top of his head.

In my mind, that's a step up from most other studies! Many start with fallacies (they'll make money hand over fist, they'll have to spend $4.5 million a year) and then go downhill from there. This was pretty measured, had some reasonable conclusions (especially concerning expanding their existing field) and presented them with facts to back them up. IMO, it was a really good study.

I wish the MAAC schools were able to push football in this way. If they had, we'd still have a MAAC.

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate - William of Occam

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I for one hope that the new AD can convince the president and whoever else needs to be convinced that a lot of these unnecessary sports are stripped out of the varsity program at Gtown. If they want to be club sports, fine.

Then I hope they use that money to fund football at the appropriate level. No football program should have to deal with that Gtown's program does at a school with that high of a national profile in the nation for bball.

Either fund the football team as it deserves or cut football from the varsity program.

CFBfan
April 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I for one hope that the new AD can convince the president and whoever else needs to be convinced that a lot of these unnecessary sports are stripped out of the varsity program at Gtown. If they want to be club sports, fine.

Then I hope they use that money to fund football at the appropriate level. No football program should have to deal with that Gtown's program does at a school with that high of a national profile in the nation for bball.

Either fund the football team as it deserves or cut football from the varsity program.

yeah but remeber according to you NO Patriot League School has National recognition!! so this is irelevant

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Those "unnecessary" sports provide a large amount of fundraising for Georgetown and Georgetown athletics and that does not go unnoticed.

The only way football is going to be funded the way you suggest is to strip the money from men's basketball. Is that what you propose?

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Those "unnecessary" sports provide a large amount of fundraising for Georgetown and Georgetown athletics and that does not go unnoticed.

The only way football is going to be funded the way you suggest is to strip the money from men's basketball. Is that what you propose?

I would appear from his resume that the new AD was selected for basketball, period. He might be an avid sailor and lacrosse enthusiast as well - who knows - but I'll bet he already knows where his priorities are to lie.

CFBfan
April 15th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I would appear from his resume that the new AD was selected for basketball, period. He might be an avid sailor and lacrosse enthusiast as well - who knows - but I'll bet he already knows where his priorities are to lie.

i'm thinking that we'll probably get our first real take on his position and abilities at the end of this season when he has to either renew contracts with the current staff or go out and bring in a new one........

CFBfan
April 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM
DFW, is there any talk in the GU community about this hire??

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM

I really disagree with you. What's wrong with the guy, really? That he wasn't a champion for FCS football at Cleveland State? That he's not Texas' AS with a phony BCS championship to his name? He's a guy moving up in the world and did a pretty good job at Cleveland State. I really don't see the automatic problem with him. Even the FCS study - while stating what most of us know of FCS programs as obvious - was extremely well done, considering how bad folks' understanding of FCS football programs outside of our club. I don't get the criticism.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
yeah but remeber according to you NO Patriot League School has National recognition!! so this is irelevant

Ask 100 people in the country what conference Gtown is in and 99% of those that are able to give an answer will give you the correct one: Big East. xcoffeex

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Don't buy it.

Sailing is keeping Gtown athletics afloat? Field hockey?

Come on...

No, men's bball will never be touched and it shouldn't be. It's the reason Gtown has a national profile.

I don't buy that the funding can't be found for both Big East men's bball and Big East football at Gtown.

It could be done, if they really tried. Thing is, they've never tried.

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I really disagree with you. What's wrong with the guy, really? That he wasn't a champion for FCS football at Cleveland State? That he's not Texas' AS with a phony BCS championship to his name? He's a guy moving up in the world and did a pretty good job at Cleveland State. I really don't see the automatic problem with him. Even the FCS study - while stating what most of us know of FCS programs as obvious - was extremely well done, considering how bad folks' understanding of FCS football programs outside of our club. I don't get the criticism.

I truly don't know which is why I defaulted to Occam's Razor - on it's face he looks and sounds like a basketball guy only, which obviously serves the interest of Georgetown's major sport. He has no experience as an AD at a private institution and he did not supervise football as an AD. So it looks to me as if the ability to maintain a historic football franchise might not have been much of a hiring priority. Would you want an AD at Lehigh with zero experience overseeing a private college football program at any level?

Truth is, none of us know anything about him so it is unfair to criticize. You're correct. I guess I'm just speculating (as always) and everyone should just await the announcement from Georgetown which presumably will detail his football (and other sport) credentials.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/2010/04/15/georgetown-introduces-new-athletic-director-lee-reed/

While Reed did not go into many specifics about his plan for the athletic department, he did respond to questions about two of Hoya sports’ most recurrent topics of discussion. Asked about an on-campus practice facility, which he called “critical,” Reed promised to work towards improving facilities for student-athletes and coaches. And Reed said he was excited to meet with Georgetown’s football staff, offering hope that the new athletic director, who worked with a Division I-A program at Eastern Michigan, may be able to revitalize the moribund program.

I hope this makes DFW happy. xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I hope this makes DFW happy.

It should - moribund is an adjective he has not yet used, to my knowledge.

RichH2
April 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately I think he beat "moribund" into semi-consciousness. The unfortunate part being his being a fan of GU football. As I sadly recall the year after year of LU futility in the 60s , I really hope the New AD is given enuf to revive GU football. It will be good for all of us. Particularly for DFW. His loyalty s/b rewarded

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately I think he beat "moribund" into semi-consciousness.

Not me; it's one of those 25-cent words which aren't terribly helpful to describe anything, kind of like exegesis, hagiography or schadenfreude.

Sader87
April 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Not me; it's one of those 25-cent words which aren't terribly helpful to describe anything, kind of like exegesis, hagiography or schadenfreude.

Disagree Hoya, it's a word (or emotion) used frequently by HC alums vis a vis our Jesuit brethren BC and Georgetown.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Someone email this story to Gtown's new AD pronto:

http://www.kcra.com/sports/23174590/detail.html

CFBfan
April 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Someone email this story to Gtown's new AD pronto:

http://www.kcra.com/sports/23174590/detail.html

if you even had a clue when you speak/write you might be dangerous, unfortunetly you don't