PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach State Reviving Football?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.daily49er.com/sports/lee-fee-would-sack-lbsu-for-loss-1.2220252

Forget the article - the typical under-reasearched student "FBS-or-nothing" crap - but one of the few nuggets from the article reads:

The April 8 edition of the Daily 49er reported on a petition to impose an $86 semester fee over the next five years to help field a team in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division 1-AA). Women’s crew, field hockey and lacrosse would also be added to meet Title IX requirements.

This is interesting, alongside the efforts of Cal State-Fullerton to revive their program as well. It's awful easy to think of a football Great West with UC Davis, Cal Poly, Cal State-Fullerton, Long Beach State, and Southern Utah as well as UND and USD.

JMUNJ08
April 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Another auto-bid maybe? Here comes 24 teams to the big dance!

danefan
April 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Another auto-bid maybe? Here comes 24 teams to the big dance!

Not until at least 2 years after they have 6 teams.

That's probably 5-7 years out at best, assuming Fullerton and Long Beach decided tomorrow to start football.

The world of FCS football will look very very different in 5 years.

JMUNJ08
April 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Not until at least 2 years after they have 6 teams.

That's probably 5-7 years out at best, assuming Fullerton and Long Beach decided tomorrow to start football.

The world of FCS football will look very very different in 5 years.

Totally agree and sadly maybe losing their favorite purple and gold team to the big boys to beat up on a weekly basis...xbawlingx

MplsBison
April 14th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Might as well start Big West football if that happens. Maybe you could even convince Sac State to leave the Big Sky?

Wildcat80
April 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
With all the deficit problems occurring in Calif. I cannot believe a new FB program gets started now. ??

jstclmet
April 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Forget the article - the typical under-reasearched student "FBS-or-nothing" crap - but one of the few nuggets from the article reads:

This is interesting, alongside the efforts of Cal State-Fullerton to revive their program as well. It's awful easy to think of a football Great West with UC Davis, Cal Poly, Cal State-Fullerton, Long Beach State, and Southern Utah as well as UND and USD.

NOTHING CAN BE FINER THAN TO BE A 49'ERxbeerchugx

Where do I sign up for season tickets???!!!

Epsilon Kappa Chapter, I'm coming home xprayx

laxVik
April 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
It's awful easy to think of a football Great West with UC Davis, Cal Poly, Cal State-Fullerton, Long Beach State, and Southern Utah as well as UND and USD.UND and USD should not be in the GW at that stage. Are they even West?

Jackman
April 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM
They are from here.

Ronbo
April 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM
UND and USD should not be in the GW at that stage. Are they even West?

If history serves me right Deadwood, SD and Fargo, ND were considered the Wild West with gunfights, cattle drives, cowboys, saloons, whores, and all that goes with all that stuff. How far west do you eastern guys want to draw the dividing line between east and west? I believe the Mississippi River is west enough for the line and has been used for a long time.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
UND and USD will be in the MVFC soon enough. Southern Utah to the Big Sky.

Hello Big West football.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2010, 01:42 PM
If history serves me right Deadwood, SD and Fargo, ND were considered the Wild West with gunfights, cattle drives, cowboys, saloons, whores, and all that goes with all that stuff. How far west do you eastern guys want to draw the dividing line between east and west? I believe the Mississippi River is west enough for the line and has been used for a long time.

Did you notice that the guy who you quoted lives in Albuquerque? I'm not sure, but I always thought he was a Portland State fan too. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

poly51
April 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
St Louis is the "Gateway To The West" Everything west if that is the West.

Bogus Megapardus
April 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The east extends from Boston's North Shore to the Hudson River - or, charitably, the Susquehanna. The west is California. Nothing arguably noteworthy lies in between.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I recall when my sister lived in Cleveland. Those people would seriously wig out if you called then an Easterner!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 07:53 PM
The east extends from Boston's North Shore to the Hudson River - or, charitably, the Susquehanna. The west is California. Nothing arguably noteworthy lies in between.

America's Heartland

UAalum72
April 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
The classic New Yorker view of the US

http://mappery.com/maps/A-View-of-World-from-9th-Avenue-Map.mediumthumb.jpg

laxVik
April 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Did you notice that the guy who you quoted lives in Albuquerque? I'm not sure, but I always thought he was a Portland State fan too. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedxI am and I do.

TheValleyRaider
April 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
The classic New Yorker view of the US

http://mappery.com/maps/A-View-of-World-from-9th-Avenue-Map.mediumthumb.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's exactly what I was thinking

bkrownd
April 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
St Louis is the "Gateway To The West" Everything west if that is the West.

No. The West starts at the Rockies. From Chicago to the Rockies is the Midwest. (The Heartland, as we like to call it.) East of Chicago is Eastern.

DFW HOYA
April 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Eastern time zone=East.
Central time zone=Midwest.
Everyone else=West.

401ks
April 16th, 2010, 10:56 PM
xcoffeex

The last two posts imply that places like Indianapolis (east of Chicago, and in the Eastern Time Zone) are not "Midwest".

xlmaox

Ronbo
April 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Eastern time zone=East.
Central time zone=Midwest.
Everyone else=West.

That just doesn't work for states like Texas in the Central Time Zone. I doubt they consider themselves midwesterners.

UAalum72
April 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Fort Worth's motto is "Where the West begins" as DFW must know.

doolittledog
April 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
If Long Beach St. and Fullerton brought back football do you think we might see a domino effect take place in California? Would Cal Poly Pomona also look to bring football back? Could we see a school like San Jose St. move to FCS from FBS? Or, is this just a bunch of hot air and nothing will end up happening with all these schools?

UAalum72
April 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
If Long Beach St. and Fullerton brought back football do you think we might see a domino effect take place in California? Would Cal Poly Pomona also look to bring football back? Could we see a school like San Jose St. move to FCS from FBS? Or, is this just a bunch of hot air and nothing will end up happening with all these schools?
Only if Beach and Fullerton bringing back FB meant that the state of California is suddenly flush with cash, with all higher priorities taken care of. That is, barring a new gold rush, it's hot air.

MplsBison
April 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
That just doesn't work for states like Texas in the Central Time Zone. I doubt they consider themselves midwesterners.

It works for states north of Missouri and Kentucky.

doolittledog
April 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Oh, I don't know :D:D:D

http://www.mwsu.edu/maps/images/img_texas.gif

doolittledog
April 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Only if Beach and Fullerton bringing back FB meant that the state of California is suddenly flush with cash, with all higher priorities taken care of. That is, barring a new gold rush, it's hot air.

Part of the reason for California losing many football programs over the years was finance related. But if you could add in short order...Long Beach St, Cal St. Fullerton, Cal State Domingues Hills (Home Depot Center with 27k seats is located on their campus), Cal Poly Pomona all added football...convince San Jose St. and maybe San Diego St. to move to FCS and San Diego to go scholarship...to go along with the FCS teams already in state, Cal Poly SLO, Sacramento St, UC Davis...you could have a pretty good FCS conference right there and the teams would never have to leave the state...except maybe occationally to play a money game against an FBS opponant.

Long Beach St.
Cal St. Fullerton
Cal State Dominguez Hills
Cal Ply Pomona
Cal Ply SLO
Sacramento St.
UC Davis
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
San Diego

That could be a viable conference...unlikely...but it could work.

slostang
April 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Fullerton and Long Beach State are long shots at best to bring back football. Cal State Dominguez Hills and Cal Poly Pomona do not have a snow ball's chance in hell of bringing back football.

Green Cookie Monster
April 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Part of the reason for California losing many football programs over the years was finance related. But if you could add in short order...Long Beach St, Cal St. Fullerton, Cal State Domingues Hills (Home Depot Center with 27k seats is located on their campus), Cal Poly Pomona all added football...convince San Jose St. and maybe San Diego St. to move to FCS and San Diego to go scholarship...to go along with the FCS teams already in state, Cal Poly SLO, Sacramento St, UC Davis...you could have a pretty good FCS conference right there and the teams would never have to leave the state...except maybe occationally to play a money game against an FBS opponant.

Long Beach St.
Cal St. Fullerton
Cal State Dominguez Hills
Cal Ply Pomona
Cal Ply SLO
Sacramento St.
UC Davis
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
San Diego

That could be a viable conference...unlikely...but it could work.

Logic will never prevail.

Five out of that list would make a good core, LBSU will never reinstate and Fullerton has no chance of passing a fee given the state economy.

I do think that Sac State, CP, davis and SJSU should hook-up in an all-sports conf.
Add: PSU, USU, NMSU and maybe NAU. Nice compact, regional DI limited travel conference with good media exposure.

SDSU makes too much $$ in the MWC
San Diego will remain indy

BearsCountry
April 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Dallas considers itself a Midwestern city. Houston considers itself a Southeastern City.

GoAgs72
April 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
More sports will be cut before any are ever added in California. Every level of government is in a world of hurt including all public colleges. Most private colleges got their endowments seriously damaged by the economy, so I don't expect much movement there either.

poly51
April 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Under today's economic conditions in California this would make more sense.

Cal Poly joining the WAC would only make sense for Football and only after they complete the next phase of stadium expansion to 22,000. The Big West is a much better fit for all other sports. The furthest travel in the Big West is UC Davis at 300 miles.

What would really make more sense if for the Big West to reinstate Division 1-A football, bring in San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Sac State,Cal State Bakersfield (non football), Nevada, and UNLV. Sac State, UC Davis and Cal Poly would have to move up.

That would be a 16 team conference with 8 1-A football schools. The furthest travel in the conference would be 580 miles. Travel to most conference games would be 200-300 miles or less.

Pauly LB
April 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I would say that chances of bringing back football to Cal State Long Beach or Cal State Fullerton are slim-sky and none-sky in today's budget crunch environment. Didn't we just see UC Davis cut several sports about a week ago? To think that any California state school (college or university) are going to even consider adding any sport is ludicrous. And to make it even less possible, football is the sport that is the most expensive to start and to maintain. Hopefully this never happens, but there is a much better chance of there being a "ZERO WEST" conference for football (meaning no state college or university programs in California) before there is ever a Big West conference for football. I know that I read somewhere last week that the state of California is considering eliminating football for freshmen at all state colleges and universities and simply using the community (junior) colleges to feed the system starting in the sophomore year...

Pauly LB
April 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I would say that chances of bringing back football to Cal State Long Beach or Cal State Fullerton are slim-sky and none-sky in today's budget crunch environment. Didn't we just see UC Davis cut several sports about a week ago? To think that any California state school (college or university) are going to even consider adding any sport is ludicrous. And to make it even less possible, football is the sport that is the most expensive to start and to maintain. Hopefully this never happens, but there is a much better chance of there being a "ZERO WEST" conference for football (meaning no state college or university programs in California) before there is ever a Big West conference for football. I know that I read somewhere last week that the state of California is considering eliminating football for freshmen at all state colleges and universities and simply using the community (junior) colleges to feed the system starting in the sophomore year...

There is one word that best describes the budget crunch for the California state colleges and universities: UGLY !!!

ThompsonThe
April 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Poor mortals. Don't you know that you all live in App Nation.

California cannot afford football. Or even education, food, health care, energy, water, fire fighting, or maybe Starbucks. They will probably have to ask Greece for part of their money.

Kaskaskia, Illinois was the original "Gateway to the West". It has a Missouri zip code now, and the Mississippi River changed what side of town it was on. Was the first capital of Illinois.

WestCoastAggie
April 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM

A petition. xwhistlex xrolleyesx

Keeper
April 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
From what I've read
University of the Pacific is most likely to reinstate
over any other California school.

At least add the Tigers to your speculation lists.