PDA

View Full Version : Impact on FBS vs. FCS scheduling?

UNHWILDCATS05
April 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM
The council also:

» Passed legislation requiring "deserving" bowl-eligible teams to post a .500 record against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents.

Will this new legislation (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_676280.html) have an impact on FBS vs. FCS scheduling??

MplsBison
April 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Maybe guarantee games will shift more to the Sun Belt and MAC teams?

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Maybe guarantee games will shift more to the Sun Belt and MAC teams?

Those schools still would need to reach the NCAA minimums as far as home games over the two-year time frame. What is it - 11?

MplsBison
April 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Those schools still would need to reach the NCAA minimums as far as home games over the two-year time frame. What is it - 11?

They have 12 game schedules every year, shouldn't be a problem.

4 conf home games every year, just need to get 3 out of 8 non-conf games at home every 2 years.

Squealofthepig
April 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
For the top of the perennial power FBS conferences, I doubt this will change much except on some home games. Where this may change some scheduling is for mid-tier power conference teams, and for FBS teams in odd geographies (e.g., Utah, Idaho) where it is a bit difficult to fit a solid number of non-conference FBS teams as cakewalks and also have a decent financial package. A team that is looking at being a .500 team in the SEC or Big 12 would benefit from having a couple of cakewalk FBS teams, as adding Wyoming now might mean the difference between playing in a bowl game or actually having to study.

For FCS, this may mean fewer FBS opponents, as power conferences would line up for the Buffalo's and ULM's to be on their schedule to help guarantee a strong (if misleading) record against FBS teams.

Wildcat80
April 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Would this have affected Temple who lost to nova?

Keeper
April 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM

I dont think so xscanx

very interesting.

JohnStOnge
April 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Doesn't look like it. Temple finished the regular season 9-2 against FBS teams.

JohnStOnge
April 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I honestly don't understand why the NCAA even bothers with bowl eligibility requirements. They're just exhibition games. Why not just let people who are organizing bowls pick whoever they want to from among teams available?

I just don't get it.

Gringer1
April 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I honestly don't understand why the NCAA even bothers with bowl eligibility requirements. They're just exhibition games. Why not just let people who are organizing bowls pick whoever they want to from among teams available?

I just don't get it.

Because they want to pretend like bowl games are some sort of championship. 50% of the teams go to "a bowl game" so it really doesn't mean anything to simply go to one, but FBS proponents like to pretend like its an accomplishment.

JohnStOnge
April 17th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I think it's pretty significant in that it means that a win over a FCS effectively won't count towards Bowl eligibility. A FBS will have to have 6 wins against other FBS teams in what's usually going to be a 12 game schedule. So there's no way a win over a FCS is going to get a FBS to bowl eligibility when it otherwise wouldn't be. A team with a FCS win will have to be at least 7-5 in order to be bowl eligible.

JohnStOnge
April 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Looks like it's not final and needs to be approved by the NCAA Board of Directors. Hopefully, it'll occur to someone that if they do this they will be at serious risk of having enough Bowl eligible teams to fill all the Bowl slots.

I just did a quick check. Didn't write things down, so there could be a little error. But I don't think the basic picture would change much if there is. I counted 70 Bowl eligible FBS teams as of the end of the 2009 regular season. There are 34 Bowls so that's barely enough to fill the 68 slots. Had this rule been in effect last season, only 61 FBS teams would've been Bowl eligible. Nine teams finished the regular season 6-6 with one of the 6 wins being over a FCS squad.

It just occured to me that, if teams start thinking about the math, they may schedule 2 FCS teams. That way they could go 5-5 against FBS opponents and if they get at least one win over a FCS they can count that towards Bowl eligibility and meanwhile they wouldn't have a losing record against other FBS teams.

But having some teams get creative like that is, I think, about the only way they're going to be assured of having enough Bowl eligible FBS teams to fill the Bowls. I don't think it takes a genius to see that if you have 120 FBS teams and 68 Bowl slots you may run into problems if you don't let some in who have below 0.500 records against other FBS teams; especially if the typical schedule includes an odd number of games (11) against other FBS teams.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Didn't the number of FCS ("counters")-FBS games increase when they changed the rule from one FCS game per four years for bowl eligibility to one game per year?

If so, then we can expect to see far fewer games in the future as the FBS schools will have far more incentive to schedule games vs. Sun Belt, MAC and C-USA teams than FCS teams even if it costs them more money.

Then what happens with games already scheduled? For example, UNH has games scheduled with Toledo, Minnesota and Boston College in 2011-14. What happens to those games? Buy-outs to the FCS schools? Will FCS still get some games with the Sun Belt, MAC and C-USA because they'll need home games so badly?

And it's not like this will result in more inter-sectional FCS game! The finances without the guarantee game will only demand a regional game to take its place to keep costs down. Might result in more CAA North-NEC, CAA North-Patriot, CAA South-MEAC, CAA South-SoCon, SoCon-Big South, Stony Brook-CAA/NEC/Patriot, OVC-MVFC, etc. games.

Keeper
April 18th, 2010, 03:50 AM
How about this for an effect?

Now MORE FCS schools will be pushing even harder to move into lower FBS.

Does that make sense?

JohnStOnge
April 18th, 2010, 08:17 AM
How about this for an effect?

Now MORE FCS schools will be pushing even harder to move into lower FBS.

Does that make sense?

It'll certainly hurt FCS schools financially if it goes through and the equation will change some in favor of tryinig to move to FBS. Plus there will be a shortage FBS teams. I'd say if the rule change is going to work without having some bowls left without eligible teams in some...and I think most...years they need to have at least twice as many FBS teams as there are bowl slots. So they need to have at least 136 FBS teams and they've only got 120 now.

JohnStOnge
April 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Looks like a false alarm guys. I finally tried looking up what they actually did and it looks to me like FBS schools will still be able to count 1 FCS game per year towards Bowl eligibility. If you go through the document at http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/AMA/legislative_council/Apr%2010/Agenda%20and%20all%20supplements.pdf and do a find on "deserving" you can follow what's going on. All they are essentially doing is replacing the word "winning" with "deserving." There used to be one exception granted per year to count a FCS team towards being a "winning" team. Now the same exception is granted for counting a FCS towards being a "deserving" team.

Go...gate
April 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Probably will affect Army and Navy.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, it will effect FCS scheduling...

If the Big Ten expands the league season, Minnesota might have to choose between playing North Carolina or Western Illinois in 2013 and between Texas or South Dakota State in 2015.

"We would have to huddle up and see what kind of impact that has on our philosophy,'' Ryan said.

Missouri's philosophy has been to use its four nonconference games to schedule one opponent from a BCS conference, two others from the Football Bowl Subdivision and one from the Football Championship Subdivision. Associate athletic director Mark Alnutt, who handles scheduling, declined to talk about scheduling until the Big 12 clarifies its plan.

Illinois recently has preferred to play two nonconference BCS opponents along with two other foes, with one typically being from the FCS.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_fcd078eb-0aa9-5311-ad08-3f8c68772d06.html

darell1976
June 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Yes, it will effect FCS scheduling...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_fcd078eb-0aa9-5311-ad08-3f8c68772d06.html

So much for WIU and SDSU.

UNH Fanboi
June 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Then what happens with games already scheduled? For example, UNH has games scheduled with Toledo, Minnesota and Boston College in 2011-14.

FYI, BC and UNH mutually agreed upon canceling their game. According to them, they decided that it was better not to compete against each other because of the close relationship between the two programs. There was a thread about it a while ago.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
FYI, BC and UNH mutually agreed upon canceling their game. According to them, they decided that it was better not to compete against each other because of the close relationship between the two programs. There was a thread about it a while ago.

Did you happen to look at the date stamp on the post you quoted? It was long before the cancel announcement! xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

UNH Fanboi
June 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Did you happen to look at the date stamp on the post you quoted? It was long before the cancel announcement! xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

No, I didn't. Sorry