PDA

View Full Version : New Bucknell President

bison137
April 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I post this here since it is possible that Bucknell's decision on scholarships has been held in abeyance while a new President was selected. In any event BU's new President is Dr. John Bravman, who for the last decade has been Stanford's Vice Provost and simultaneously their Dean of the Freshman-Sophomore Residential College. He has also continued to teach as a highly-regarded Professor of Electrical Engineering.

Bio: http://www.bucknell.edu/x60920.xml

While it's too early to tell his exact position on athletics, the fact that he comes from Stanford, where he not only taught but also earned three degrees, has to be a positive. A few other items:

- On his Stanford bio: "He’s also a devoted fan of Stanford Athletics."
- Member of the "Toby Gerhart for Heisman" facebook group.
- Subscribes to the twitter feeds from Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation, along with many others including Slate.
- Extremely popular with many Stanford students, and has continued to interact with them as a teaching Professor and Dean of the Residential College. Known for throwing barbecues etc for students in his area.

As I say, it's way too early to judge his exact athletic philosophy, but at least it appears we don't have another Artie Rothkopf. Hopefully he will be a proponent of Stanford's philosophy of excellence in both athletics and academics.

BTW, Dr. Braverman was BU's second choice and got the job after it was turned down by KenZ. Mr. Z reportedly is waiting for the Lafayette job to open up.

Franks Tanks
April 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I post this here since it is possible that Bucknell's decision on scholarships has been held in abeyance while a new President was selected. In any event BU's new President is Dr. John Bravman, who for the last decade has been Stanford's Vice Provost and simultaneously their Dean of the Freshman-Sophomore Residential College. He has also continued to teach as a highly-regarded Professor of Electrical Engineering.

Bio: http://www.bucknell.edu/x60920.xml

While it's too early to tell his exact position on athletics, the fact that he comes from Stanford, where he not only taught but also earned three degrees, has to be a positive. A few other items:

- On his Stanford bio: "He’s also a devoted fan of Stanford Athletics."
- Member of the "Toby Gerhart for Heisman" facebook group.
- Subscribes to the twitter feeds from Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation, along with many others including Slate.
- Extremely popular with many Stanford students, and has continued to interact with them as a teaching Professor and Dean of the Residential College. Known for throwing barbecues etc for students in his area.

As I say, it's way too early to judge his exact athletic philosophy, but at least it appears we don't have another Artie Rothkopf. Hopefully he will be a proponent of Stanford's philosophy of excellence in both athletics and academics.

BTW, Dr. Braverman was BU's second choice and got the job after it was turned down by KenZ. Mr. Z reportedly is waiting for the Lafayette job to open up.

If nothing else this guy seems to have a great personality and interacts well with students.

Good luck to Bucknell and your new president.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hopefully what Bucknell athletics donors there are won't be calling for his head as soon as he tries to change the attitude and philosophy of the athletic department.

bison137
April 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hopefully what Bucknell athletics donors there are won't be calling for his head as soon as he tries to change the attitude and philosophy of the athletic department.

1. There are a large number of BU athletic donors. I guarantee BU has had more money donated for athletic purposes than most colleges (including NDSU).

2. What makes you think he'll be trying to change the attitude of the athletic department?

Franks Tanks
April 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Why would an athletic donor get upset?

Bucknell football has struggled but the Bucknell athletic department is the best overall in the Patriot League and better than NDSU's.

Bucknell basketball has won two NCAA tourney games in the last 10 years. The Lacrosse program is a consistent top 20 program. The track and CC teams compete with anyone in the NE. The newly minted wrestling program is also top 25 caliber.

Go crawl back in your hole.

Bogus Megapardus
April 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Mr. Z reportedly is waiting for the Lafayette job to open up.

Can KenZ play safety?

bison137
April 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Can KenZ play safety?

Not sure, but one of his ambitions is to come to Lafayette and be the new Art Rothkopf. First project is to turn the Bourger Football House into the Carney Center for Poetry Reading.

Bogus Megapardus
April 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Congratulations to the new President of Bucknell. I an especially pleased to know that he is an engineer and will be in a position to maintain focus on the sciences at a great, great university!

xhurrayx

Go...gate
April 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a good choice!

Ivytalk
April 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
LOL on KenZ!xlolx

Sounds like a fine choice for the Bison.

RichH2
April 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Congrats, looks good. Now back to schollies.

carney2
April 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Not sure, but one of his ambitions is to come to Lafayette and be the new Art Rothkopf. First project is to turn the Bourger Football House into the Carney Center for Poetry Reading.

There once was a man from Nantucket...

I forgot the rest.

ngineer
April 13th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Congrats to Bucknell--the guy sounds somewhat like Lehigh's Peter Likens who followed Deming Lewis back in the 1980's and was a Stanford alum and wrestler for the Cardinal. Stanford has always been a great academic school that still knows the proper role of athletics--and that it can be done with scholarships.
I also agree with the other posts about BU athletics...While their football has struggled over the past 10+ years, their overall athletics program is the best in the Patriot League.

carney2
April 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
So what do we know?

1. He's coming from Stanford.

2. He attended a Stanford sporting event once upon a time.

That's about it.

His view of Bucknell athletics - and most importantly, his position on football scholarships - will be shaped by what he sees, hears and feels once he's on the job. Expect him to make no bold moves or take any boat rocking positions for at least two years.

Does this hire seriously alter Bucknell's position on football scholarships (whatever it may be) within the announced 2010 decision time frame on this issue? Probably not.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM
So what do we know?

1. He's coming from Stanford.

2. He attended a Stanford sporting event once upon a time.

That's about it.

Don't forget he's also a member of Toby Gerhart for Heisman Facebook group. xlolx

MplsBison
April 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
1. There are a large number of BU athletic donors. I guarantee BU has had more money donated for athletic purposes than most colleges (including NDSU).

2. What makes you think he'll be trying to change the attitude of the athletic department?

Adding scholarships for football.

I have a feeling that some well-to-do Bucknell donors will fight it tooth and nail. I hope the president wins out, though.

Franks Tanks
April 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I have a feeling that some well-to-do Bucknell donors will fight it tooth and nail. I hope the president wins out, though.

A major Bucknell donor basically endowed a wrestling and womens crew program recently. You dont know what your're talking about-- just stop.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
A wrestling program that went from nothing to an up-and-coming EIWA force in a very, very short period of time I might add.

Ken_Z
April 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Does this hire seriously alter Bucknell's position on football scholarships (whatever it may be) within the announced 2010 decision time frame on this issue?

no, but that's good news. only movement due to a Presidential hire would be in the wrong direction. no change means if the study supports and the Board is not vehemently opposed, he will support scholarships.

looking for an announcement re other (non football) sports in the near future.

bison137
April 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM

1. We have no idea where the president stands at this point.

2. Bucknell alums have been among the most pro-athletic around. BU has added a large number of brand-new athletic facilities built exclusively by alums. The great majority certainly wouldn't fight it tooth and nail.

3. You have no clue what you're talking about.

RichH2
April 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Bison has no interest in facts or dialogue. He , like all idealogues, fits all into his preconceived notions. I do wish that we would stop jumping to his bait as it sidetracks meaningful discussion of any issue he decides to post on.

andy7171
April 15th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Good news for the Bison. I was recruited by Bucknell but sadly the coach couldn't get me in with my poor grades. I really wanted to go there.

I think it's funny MPLS is still stirring it up over here. You people who take him serious remember this...He thinks Fargo is ccosmopolitan.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2010/04/15/bravman-to-head-bucknell/

This commitment to moving forward and seeking improvements, which he called “one of the hallmarks of Stanford University,” was one Bravman said he recognized in Bucknell.

“We can pat ourselves on the back occasionally, but we don’t do that very often,” he said. “We’re always talking about, how are we going to be better? How are we going to do more? We do it in physics, we do it in football, we do it everywhere in between. The same thing is true at Bucknell.”

If I'm playing a hunch, it's that this president will be extremely engaged in making Bucknell football an event once again. This little quote in and of itself sounds extremely promising.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM

If I'm playing a hunch, it's that this president will be extremely engaged in making Bucknell football an event once again. This little quote in and of itself sounds extremely promising.

The only way Bucknell football becomes relevant is with scholarships and lots of them.

RichH2
April 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Susan s/b an improvement at HC brought in a decent class given the circumstances. Squad built, albeit not well, for landis option O. It will be a tough transition period but I suspect it will be an upward one.

bison137
April 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Susan s/b an improvement at HC brought in a decent class given the circumstances.

Have you seen something I haven't seen? I'm still waiting for the announcement of the incoming class. We've seen the usual articles on various recruits in their local papers, but there are probably about 15 recruits out there who have yet to be identified on our board.

I'm assuming the delay is because Susan and staff made a late run at players who hadn't been pre-screened by admissions. (Maybe even a transfer or two, although that is not easy to manage without scholarships.) I expected the announcement once acceptances had been finalized, but other events (such as the various press releases on the new BU President) may have pushed back the timeframe. I stil expect to see it next week but that's a pure guess.

DetroitFlyer
April 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM

“We can pat ourselves on the back occasionally, but we don’t do that very often,” he said. “We’re always talking about, how are we going to be better? How are we going to do more? We do it in physics, we do it in football, we do it everywhere in between. The same thing is true at Bucknell.”

Actually, I'm not a big fan of this quote. It makes it sound like "Physics" and "Football" are two ends of the extreme. The truth at schools like Bucknell and Dayton is that many times the football players are among the best students at the school and obtain that standing in "real" majors like engineering, business, pre-med, etc.

RichH2
April 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
no 137, just off the list I compiled. I also assume he is continuing to pick up a few more from whois left .

MplsBison
April 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Actually, I'm not a big fan of this quote. It makes it sound like "Physics" and "Football" are two ends of the extreme. The truth at schools like Bucknell and Dayton is that many times the football players are among the best students at the school and obtain that standing in "real" majors like engineering, business, pre-med, etc.

How about Dayton's bball players? You know, the ones that get scholarships?