PDA

View Full Version : Spring scrimmages against other teams?

MplsBison
April 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think NCAA rules would have to change to allow this, so it's probably a very long shot.

The thing I don't like about spring is that it does not give you an accurate idea of how your team is going to compare to other teams because it's only intra-squad scrimmages.

But what if the NCAA allowed teams to have 3 scrimmages each spring...against other teams?

For example, an NDSU spring could go like this:

Practices 1-4: regular practice
Practice 5: Scrimmage against U of South Dakota

Practices 6-9: regular practice
Practice 10: Scrimmage against South Dakota State

Practices 11-14: regular practice
Practice 15: Scrimmage against U of North Dakota

Something like that.

Libertine
April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The thing I don't like about spring is that it does not give you an accurate idea of how your team is going to compare to other teams

That's what the regular season is for.

Franks Tanks
April 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I think NCAA rules would have to change to allow this, so it's probably a very long shot.

The thing I don't like about spring is that it does not give you an accurate idea of how your team is going to compare to other teams because it's only intra-squad scrimmages.

But what if the NCAA allowed teams to have 3 scrimmages each spring...against other teams?

For example, an NDSU spring could go like this:

Practices 1-4: regular practice
Practice 5: Scrimmage against U of South Dakota

Practices 6-9: regular practice
Practice 10: Scrimmage against South Dakota State

Practices 11-14: regular practice
Practice 15: Scrimmage against U of North Dakota

Something like that.

You clearly never played football.

Spring Ball is to evaluate players and help the young guys learn the system. Scrimages with other teams would accomplish nothing.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Spring Ball is to evaluate players and help the young guys learn the system. Scrimages with other teams would accomplish nothing.

Except give the coaches an idea where their team is at relative to other teams.

Franks Tanks
April 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM

That is why you play the games in the fall. The spring is to teach basic techniques and plays etc (especially to younger guys) who dont get the opportunity to learn as the coaches are focused preparing the starters for games.

Also playing a game after 3 or 4 practices? It would be a disaster and get people hurt.

PantherRob82
April 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Agree, but funny that this was what tipped you off. :D

PhoenixSupreme
April 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM

But if the coach pretty much realizes that his team is gonna be terrible from evaluating the scrimmages, it may reflect badly on the practices after the scrimmage. Let the kids feel good about their team going into the regular season rather than have 3 potential bad scrimmages that get their hopes down before the season even starts.