PDA

View Full Version : Any Word on Central CT

Bulldog1
January 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Word was they interviewed last week. Sewak from Georgia Southern was supposedly the front-runner. Any word?

aceinthehole
January 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Rumor from footballscoop.com was that Central Connecticut had 3 candidates: John Loose from Lafayette, Mike Sewak (formerly of) Georgia Southern and Jeff McInerney from URI.

No word yet out of New Britain, but personally I like Sewak, as he is the only one with HC experience on this list.

----
QUICK BIOS

John Loose (Ithaca '87) - Current Def. Coord @ Lafayette. Former DB coach at Army for 8 seasons. Also coached at Albany and Coast Guard.

Mike Sewak (Virginia) - Former Head Coach at Georgia Southern recently fired after losing in the first round of IAA playoffs the past 2 seasons. He advanced to the IAA semifinals in his first season at GSU in 2002.

Jeff McInerney (Slippery Rock '82) - Def. Coord at Rhode Island. A veteran of 24 years as an assistant coach at 13 different schools. Was asssistant at Troy State ('85 DII national champs) and Georgia Southern ('90 IAA national champs).

ngineer
January 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM
If Sewak is hired, that would seem to indicate the league will be going scholarship soon..

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
If Sewak is hired, that would seem to indicate the league will be going scholarship soon..

Not to point out the obvious but...

The NEC approved scholarships a few months ago. 30 per year starting now. Probable increases in future years. I know Colgate has already lost a battle or two to an NEC team. I bet Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, etc. has as well.

We (the PL) need to think long and hard about if we want to allow the NEC to surpass us in football. Teams like Stony Brook, Albany, CCSU and Monmouth could become a lot better in the next few years. We need to take away that recruiting advantage IMO.

UAalum72
January 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Not to point out the obvious but...

The NEC approved scholarships a few months ago. 30 per year starting now. Probable increases in future years.
10 per year, 30 total...for now.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM
10 per year, 30 total...for now.

My misquote! 30 per year would be 120 total now, wouldn't it? :eek:

Still, it means they can grab 10 players in a class of 25 or so and give them some money. I don't know the details, but I also assume they can split up those 10 scholarships over more than 10 players too. That money, spent wisely on the right students, could land them 15 or so players of another caliber.

aceinthehole
January 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM
New Britain Herald - 01/05/2006
CCSU continues coach search
By MATT STRAUB , Assistant Sports Editor

NEW BRITAIN -- The search continues.
After it appeared Wednesday afternoon that Central Connecticut was going to have a new football coach in place, the process stalled and a holding pattern has set in.

The school’s search committee met on Wednesday, apparently to formally select a candidate to offer the position to. That meeting, however, failed to produce a decision on a single prospective hire, and the process is expected to continue at least through next week.

CCSU Director of Athletics C.J. Jones said he couldn’t comment on the search, but did say that he was heading to an NCAA convention on Friday in Indianapolis, meaning that a resolution on the coaching situation likely won’t come before late Monday.

Moderator Edit: Link (http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15874155&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6) to story.

(Please do not copy articles in full as this is a violation of copyright. Copying the first few paragraphs and providing a link to the story is an acceptable alternative. Thank you.)

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 10:42 AM
YEAH!! Hate to rain on Loose but I'm glad he is apparently still in spots!

blur2005
January 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Mike Sewak (Virginia) - Former Head Coach at Georgia Southern recently fired after losing in the first round of IAA playoffs the past 2 seasons. He advanced to the IAA semifinals in his first season at GSU in 2002.

I didn't know he went to Virginia.

aceinthehole
January 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Actually its (Virginia '81)

See: http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/sports/football/headcoach.php

BusinessEagle
January 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
The president of CCSU, Jack Miller, was formerly Dean of the School of Education at Georgia Southern. He was there when Sewak was on staff during the Erk years.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM
The president of CCSU, Jack Miller, was formerly Dean of the School of Education at Georgia Southern. He was there when Sewak was on staff during the Erk years.

So what's the problem!

Seriously though, what's with this committee stuff? The AD just needs to pick his man. This smells fishy... :eyebrow:

UAalum72
January 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Still, it means they can grab 10 players in a class of 25 or so and give them some money. I don't know the details, but I also assume they can split up those 10 scholarships over more than 10 players too. That money, spent wisely on the right students, could land them 15 or so players of another caliber.
As I recall from when the NEC went to need-based, any player receiving any athletic aid goes against the 30-counter limit, as does a football player with a scholarship in another sport.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
As I recall from when the NEC went to need-based, any player receiving any athletic aid goes against the 30-counter limit, as does a football player with a scholarship in another sport.

That would be different than the PL... interesting. Are they keeping it with scholarships or will they let them spread the dough for maximum gain? With need-based, limiting the # keeps costs down. With scholarships, limiting the number only limits the impact scholarships could have. You're spending the money either way.

aceinthehole
January 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM

My understanding is he has a ton of FB contacts also from his time at Florida State and most recently at Wisc-Whitewater (DIII Nationall finalist).

I like Sewak because of his HC and playoff experience. On the down side he is from from the South and so he doesn't have a lot of experience or contacts recruiting in the northeast. Further, will he make a long-term commitment and keep this program headed in the right direction? CCSU has a ton of POTENTIAL, but I think both administrative support and coaching stability are very important.

The guy from URI, is more local and currently recruits fror the Rams in Conn. and PA. He has a strong resume as an assistant at the I, IAA, and II levels. He could be a young and agressive new HC. The downside is he has no prior HC experience.

In my opinion, this is not an easy decision, but if Sewak is committed for a longer haul than Masella was (2 years) and he isn't using CCSU as a temporary place of employment, then I grab him in a second. If he is hesitant on long term plans or has other goals in the near future, then I take the URI guy.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Agreed Ace. That's how I would look at it from a CCSU standpoint. My God, is it possible we beat CCSU 51-0 on Sept. 12, 1981??

soweagle
January 6th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I like Sewak because of his HC and playoff experience. On the down side he is from from the South and so he doesn't have a lot of experience or contacts recruiting in the northeast. .

He has been in the South for quite some time now but he is from Pennsylvania and coached at Ohio before coming back to GSU.