PDA

View Full Version : Southern home attendance for games against Southland

JohnStOnge
April 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm posting this because I live in the Baton Rouge area, frequqently listen to the "Jaguar Journal" radio show, and frequently hear complaints about how if Southern plays Southland schools Southern travels well when the games are played at Southland home sites but the favor isn't returned.

Well, , Southern is unique. NO fans in I-AA travel like Southern's fans do. To me, Southern shouldn't be looking at how well non conference opponents travel. They should be looking at attendance regardless of where that attendance comes from.

With that in mind, let's look at attendance for Southern home games against non conference opponents during the 2000s:

Average attendance for non conference I-AA/FCS HBCUs (4 games): 16.261
Average attendance for Division II and NAIA (8): 17,585
Average attendance for Southland teams (3): 18,779

That accounts for all of the nonconference home games played by Southern during the 2000s. If you're interested in how it went with the noncference I-AA/FCS games individually it was:

2000 Florida A&M 22,317
2004 McNeese State 21,673
2002 Nicholls State 17,863
2001 Northwestern State 16,800
2007 Tennessee State 15,371
2008 Florida A&M 15,107
2009 Tennessee State 12,247

So, Southern: If you are going to play home and home non conference games against FCS programs at all, who are you going to play them against? You have four Southland schools (McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana) such that the return game would cost you next to nothing. If you're saying you won't play those teams home and home becaue of economics, you're saying you're not going to play non conference FCS home and home.

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM
With the SWAC going back to the nine-game mandate, don't look for the Jags to play any SLC schools. In addition to fearing a loss, they will most likely play their two OOC games as follows...

1) FBS or neutral site classic - SU will play a regional FBS foe (see ULL) or play in the SWAC/MEAC Challenge or other neutral site classic against an FCS that will be intriguing

2) Div II game - the Jaguars will buy a foe whether it HBCU or otherwise (see Central State, Delta State, then-North Carolina Central, Arkansas-Monticello, etc).

JohnStOnge
April 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Depending on the payout, it's unfortunately true that playing all of their nonconference home games against D-II or NAIA schools might be the most profitable thing for them. Their three most highly attended non conference home games during the 2000s were all against sub Division I opponents. Their most highly attended non conference home game, in 2004, was a 50-17 blowout of NAIA Texas College. I'm guessing it was homecoming but not sure. Below is the entire list of attendances, ranked by attendance, for Southern's nonconference home games in the 2000s (assuming I didn't miss any). You can see that their highest and lowest attendances were associated with playing sub Division I schools. But it averaged out so that their average home attendance for sub Division I schools was a little less than their average home attendance for Southland schools.

2004 Texas College 27673 NAIA
2000 Morris Brown 27612 II
2009 Fort Valley State 24500 II
2000 Florida A&M 22317 HBCU/FCS
2004 McNeese State 21673 SLC
2002 Nicholls State 17863 SLC
2001 Northwestern State 16,800 SLC
2004 South Dakota State 16445 FCS transitional
2002 Miles 16077 II
2007 Tennessee State 15371 HBCU/FCS
2008 Florida A&M 15107 HBCU/FCS
2006 North Carolina Central 12845 II
2009 Tennessee State 12247 HBCU/FCS
2003 Allen 11642 NAIA
2003 Lincoln 11396 II
2009 Central State 8937 II

JohnStOnge
April 11th, 2010, 01:07 PM
One thing I wonder about is how well a school like Southern does financially when it travels for non conference neutral site games. Like I wonder if what they're guaranteed for playing Delaware State in the SWAC/MEAC challenge is going to significantly exceed the cost of them going there to play that game. My impression is that it's kind of a pageant so they'll be paying for travel, lodging, and meals for their band as well as their team and support staff. Heaven knows Disney has lots of money but it's paying two teams to go. I do have to wonder if a Southern would do worse financially playing a home and home against a school that's a short bus ride away than it will do traveling to Orlando to play Delaware State. Of course it depends on what Disney is playing the schools to go But I think it'd take a lot.

No question they'll get more exposure.

MplsBison
April 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Why doesn't Southern move up to the FBS level?

Would they be the first HBU to make the move?

mikebigg
April 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
With the SWAC going back to the nine-game mandate, don't look for the Jags to play any SLC schools. In addition to fearing a loss, they will most likely play their two OOC games as follows...

1) FBS or neutral site classic - SU will play a regional FBS foe (see ULL) or play in the SWAC/MEAC Challenge or other neutral site classic against an FCS that will be intriguing

2) Div II game - the Jaguars will buy a foe whether it HBCU or otherwise (see Central State, Delta State, then-North Carolina Central, Arkansas-Monticello, etc).

Since you guys want to play a SWAC school so badly, have your AD contact us about a game at our place without requiring a return game? Either that or go kick rocks!

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Since you guys want to play a SWAC school so badly, have your AD contact us about a game at our place without requiring a return game? Either that or go kick rocks!

I don't think SHSU wants to mess around with the SWAC in football or men's basketball. We've been burned in our last few attempts to do it, even when offering a home-and-home arrangement...

Of course, you completely ignored the point, subject matter of this thread - but that's nothing new. xthumbsdownx

JohnStOnge
April 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Why doesn't Southern move up to the FBS level?

Would they be the first HBU to make the move?

I assume you're asking that because they average more than 15K per home game. Yes, they would be the first HBCU to make the move.

But, as is the case whenever any I-AA/FCS moves to FBS, the odds are that they would worsen their financial situation by doing so.

NSUDemon98
April 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I assume you're asking that because they average more than 15K per home game. Yes, they would be the first HBCU to make the move.

But, as is the case whenever any I-AA/FCS moves to FBS, the odds are that they would worsen their financial situation by doing so.

Unless they go independent and have a "Classic" every weekend...xrotatehx

GAD
April 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Those numbers are misleading, Southern probably averaged about what NSU & NWSU drew in 01 and 02.
NWSUs play-by-play man did an interview and predicted an end to the series three years before in happened, why, no Demon fans ever showed up in BR.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Unless they go independent and have a "Classic" every weekend...xrotatehx

Several FBS conferences have approached SU about making a move, but I dont see that happening.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
John do the same thing for the 90's lol . The numbers are very misleading. Ticket increases, katrina, Gustov, and poor records affected attendence during the 2000's. Also SU played those Southland teams early in the season, before win/loss record affected attendence, usually the opening weekend, where a good crowd is guaranteed.

TexasTerror
April 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Several FBS conferences have approached SU about making a move, but I dont see that happening.

Southern would have to upgrade basketball, baseball and softball facilities if FBS is on the horizon. They'd also have to upgrade staffs in terms of the number of assistants and in several areas of the athletic infrastructure - quality of said individuals...

SU has lost a few teams off their baseball schedule due to the facility situation (though Jaguar fans will point to threat of a loss), but I have heard that from two Div I head coaches.

mikebigg
April 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think SHSU wants to mess around with the SWAC in football or men's basketball. We've been burned in our last few attempts to do it, even when offering a home-and-home arrangement...

Of course, you completely ignored the point, subject matter of this thread - but that's nothing new. xthumbsdownx

No, you missed the point that this is a dead horse... SU isn't interested in playing home and home versus Southland, why belabor the point.

If you don't think SHSU wants to "mess around" with the SWAC then why all the repetitive posts on the same topic. But before I leave this alone, let me say that your dealings with individual schools should be rated per that school. While the SWAC is a conference, each school has the autonomy to enter into their own contracts and play arrangements. Perhaps your comments should be better applied to the specific party and not the entire conference. And in the meantime...xviolinx

JohnStOnge
April 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
John do the same thing for the 90's lol . The numbers are very misleading. Ticket increases, katrina, Gustov, and poor records affected attendence during the 2000's. Also SU played those Southland teams early in the season, before win/loss record affected attendence, usually the opening weekend, where a good crowd is guaranteed.

The NCAA site only goes back to 2000. Ticket increases, Katrina, Gustav, and poor records should affect attendance regardless of who Southern was playing. I don't think the "early season" and record argument works. For instance, Southern hosted Nicholls State in its 5th game of the season in 2001 and attendance is reported at 17,863. Southern went into the game with a 1-3 record. It's previous game was a 36-14 loss to Jackson State.

In 2007 Southern hosted Tennessee State in the fourth game of the season. The Jaguars entered the game at 3-0. They had already beaten Florida A&M, Mississippi Valley State, and Prairie View. Attendance is reported at 15,731.

Sure, there can be other factors. But the point is that there is no evidence, at all, that Southern generally got better attendance for home games against non conference FCS HBCUs than they got against Southland teams. And we're talking about two storied HBCU FCS programs in Tennessee State and Florida A&M. Plus Southern can return a home game to Nicholls State or a McNeese or a Northwestern State or a Southeastern Louisiana with very minimal travel costs. They don't even have to book a hotel. There's no way they can return a home game to any non conference HBCU and do that.

All I'm saying is that if Southern's saying that it can't play Southland teams in home and home series because of finances it's either pretty much saying it can't play ANY non conference FCS opponents home and home because of finances. Remember, if Southern plays Florida A&M home and home it's going to be paying lodging costs and meals for the football team, coaches, support staff, etc. It's also probably going to be paying lodging and meals for its band and associated personnel. If it plays Nicholls State or Southeastern it's taking a short trip down the road with no overnight costs at all. You'd have to get distinctly more home attendance against the non conference HBCUs to make up for that. Instead, during the 2000s, you got less on average.

TexasTerror
April 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
While the SWAC is a conference, each school has the autonomy to enter into their own contracts and play arrangements. Perhaps your comments should be better applied to the specific party and not the entire conference. And in the meantime...xviolinx

The SLC has had problems in the last five years with the following schools in at least one and in some cases, two sports...that just about covers the SWAC West Division (sans Grambling) and those are just cases I am aware of, that have been discussed here...

UAPB
Southern
Texas Southern
Prairie View
Alcorn State

GAD
April 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
What was the average home attendance for the 2001 & 2002 seasons?

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
The NCAA site only goes back to 2000. Ticket increases, Katrina, Gustav, and poor records should affect attendance regardless of who Southern was playing. I don't think the "early season" and record argument works. For instance, Southern hosted Nicholls State in its 5th game of the season in 2001 and attendance is reported at 17,863. Southern went into the game with a 1-3 record. It's previous game was a 36-14 loss to Jackson State.

In 2007 Southern hosted Tennessee State in the fourth game of the season. The Jaguars entered the game at 3-0. They had already beaten Florida A&M, Mississippi Valley State, and Prairie View. Attendance is reported at 15,731.

Sure, there can be other factors. But the point is that there is no evidence, at all, that Southern generally got better attendance for home games against non conference FCS HBCUs than they got against Southland teams. And we're talking about two storied HBCU FCS programs in Tennessee State and Florida A&M. Plus Southern can return a home game to Nicholls State or a McNeese or a Northwestern State or a Southeastern Louisiana with very minimal travel costs. They don't even have to book a hotel. There's no way they can return a home game to any non conference HBCU and do that.

All I'm saying is that if Southern's saying that it can't play Southland teams in home and home series because of finances it's either pretty much saying it can't play ANY non conference FCS opponents home and home because of finances. Remember, if Southern plays Florida A&M home and home it's going to be paying lodging costs and meals for the football team, coaches, support staff, etc. It's also probably going to be paying lodging and meals for its band and associated personnel. If it plays Nicholls State or Southeastern it's taking a short trip down the road with no overnight costs at all. You'd have to get distinctly more home attendance against the non conference HBCUs to make up for that. Instead, during the 2000s, you got less on average.That SU vs Nicholls game was homecoming and Tenn St game it was raining.

msusig
April 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
No, you missed the point that this is a dead horse... SU isn't interested in playing home and home versus Southland, why belabor the point.

If you don't think SHSU wants to "mess around" with the SWAC then why all the repetitive posts on the same topic. But before I leave this alone, let me say that your dealings with individual schools should be rated per that school. While the SWAC is a conference, each school has the autonomy to enter into their own contracts and play arrangements. Perhaps your comments should be better applied to the specific party and not the entire conference. And in the meantime...xviolinx

Southern is a waste of our time. I would hope that we don't schedule them again. McNeese has more interesting and competitive games coming up with App State and Montana. xcoolx

mikebigg
April 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
The SLC has had problems in the last five years with the following schools in at least one and in some cases, two sports...that just about covers the SWAC West Division (sans Grambling) and those are just cases I am aware of, that have been discussed here...

UAPB
Southern
Texas Southern
Prairie View
Alcorn State

Unless you know the full story...how can you not say that part of the impasse (whatever it may be) was due in part by something the SLC may or may not have done. Regardless... those are individual schools and not the entire conference. You mentioned SHSU not wanting to mess with the SWAC... please make it happen and quit whining about it. xviolinx

mikebigg
April 13th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Southern is a waste of our time. I would hope that we don't schedule them again. McNeese has more interesting and competitive games coming up with App State and Montana. xcoolx

Hope that works out for yall... maybe in time all of us will be spared having to read the repeated threads whining about it.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 13th, 2010, 10:09 AM
. You mentioned SHSU not wanting to mess with the SWAC... please make it happen and quit whining about it. xviolinx

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please make it happen. xprayx

JohnStOnge
April 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
That SU vs Nicholls game was homecoming and Tenn St game it was raining.

There was 0.11 inches of rain recorded at Baton Rouge on the date Southern hosted Tennessee State in 2007. That's not exactly a downpour. And there was no rain at all recorded at Baton Rouge on the day Southern hosted Tennessee State in their third game of the 2009 season with 12,247 attendance.

There is no evidence that Southland teams in particular are a problem or that they could do better by scheduling non conference HBCU FCS opponents in home and home series.

I suspect they'll have an uptic in attendance in 2010, at least early on, due to excitement over a new coach. But they won't be playing any non conference FCS opponents at home.

A question: Who would you suggest that Southern can schedule for non conference home and home series that would make more economic sense than scheduling nearby Southland teams? How many alternatives like that are there?

mikebigg
April 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM
There was 0.11 inches of rain recorded at Baton Rouge on the date Southern hosted Tennessee State in 2007. That's not exactly a downpour. And there was no rain at all recorded at Baton Rouge on the day Southern hosted Tennessee State in their third game of the 2009 season with 12,247 attendance.

There is no evidence that Southland teams in particular are a problem or that they could do better by scheduling non conference HBCU FCS opponents in home and home series.

I suspect they'll have an uptic in attendance in 2010, at least early on, due to excitement over a new coach. But they won't be playing any non conference FCS opponents at home.

A question: Who would you suggest that Southern can schedule for non conference home and home series that would make more economic sense than scheduling nearby Southland teams? How many alternatives like that are there?

You miss the point... Southern is scheduling teams that don't want a return home date.

JohnStOnge
April 18th, 2010, 12:27 AM
You miss the point... Southern is scheduling teams that don't want a return home date.

No, I didn't miss it. That's related to the point I was making. When Southern is saying playing home and home non conference series against nearby Louisiana FCS teams isn't financially viable it's pretty much saying that home and home series against non conference FCS opponents in general isn't financially viable. So they're going to schedule D-II and NAIA opponents instead.

mikebigg
April 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM
xbangx

xdeadhorsex

Jaguar79
April 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Let's just cut to the chase here.

The Southland games mentioned were either HOMECOMING games, in which the attendance is going to be there no matter what or opening weekend games (McNeese and Northwestern State).

The Jags have played THREE Southland teams mainly (NW State, Nicholls State, and McNeese with Southeastern being a past rival). ALL of our matchups with NW State and McNeese were opening weekend games. Attendance was always there ... case in point ... check NW State's attendance records for Turpin Stadium .... SU is all over them.

Here's the bottom line:
(a) Our fans do not care about those teams. Case in point .... who always brings up the McNeese/SU situation .... not us. Who wants us back on their schedule (NW State). I wouldn't mind a series with SLU because of the extreme closeness, but the others .... other than McNeese, they NEVER came to Mumford but each of them profitted off of SU fans. Don't believe me .... check their SU games and then check their other games.

(b) We gain very little in playing Soutland schools. Since we do not care about the FCS playoffs, what could we gain from playing those schools. Let some tell it, we already lose recruits to these schools (I don't see it and have not) for not playing in the playoffs (SU didn't have that problem this year at all), so with that NOT changing, there is no need to play the unless it suits our needs (i.e. Home games). Nicholls State was a rare case in the offense they ran. We would not see that at any other time in our season. Combine that with the lowest attendance coming from a Southland school and it was an easy decision to let them go.

That leaves us with FBS games that make sense (ULL, local area teams beneath the BCS conferences IMO), traditional FCS rivals that respond in kind when they come to Baton Rouge, and unfortunately D-II schools. However, if that suits the majority of the fanbase and at this moment, SU is not worried about FCS postseason, that's exactly what they should do.

Jaguar79
April 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Now that I have explained that, WHY the worry about who Southern schedules?

This thread somewhat proves my point. No SU fan is worrying about who McNeese or NW State is scheduling. And I was under the impression that SU had finished its business with McNeese concerning the 2010 date.

Our numbers are not as good as they used to be, but if some worried about their own schools as much as they apparently worry about mine, they would probably be in a better spot. xwhistlex

LUFAN1
April 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I just Lamar stays out of this crap with Southern and learns from McNeese and the issues that SHSU has had with other SWAC teams. Yes I would like to play them, but I do not think that they are worth the hassle (though they would bring in a crowd). I think we could play many better QUALITY opponents rather than just a name.

McNeese75
April 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
I just Lamar stays out of this crap with Southern and learns from McNeese and the issues that SHSU has had with other SWAC teams. Yes I would like to play them, but I do not think that they are worth the hassle (though they would bring in a crowd). I think we could play many better QUALITY opponents rather than just a name.

By George, I think He's got it!!!! xhurrayx

A good LU vs McNeese rivalry would be much better than worrying about the Swac.

LUFAN1
April 22nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
As long as I can get tickets I will be at the LU vs McNeese game. I just hope you take it easy on us...

McNeese75
April 22nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
As long as I can get tickets I will be at the LU vs McNeese game. I just hope you take it easy on us...

McNeese did that last year and almost lost to Henderson State so don't expect it too easy.

msusig
April 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
By George, I think He's got it!!!! xhurrayx

A good LU vs McNeese rivalry would be much better than worrying about the Swac.

I could care less about Southern or Grambling. Played them, beat them, and ready to play somebody else we haven't seen. I'm excited about the Lamar game. It will be good to start a real rivalry with somebody since ULL is scared to play us again. The Montana & App State game will be fun to watch too.xcoffeex

JohnStOnge
April 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
I could care less about Southern or Grambling. Played them, beat them, and ready to play somebody else we haven't seen. I'm excited about the Lamar game. It will be good to start a real rivalry with somebody since ULL is scared to play us again. The Montana & App State game will be fun to watch too.xcoffeex

Well, I'm not going to be "sour grapes" in the true sense and say that I wouldn't like for McNeese and Southern to regularly play home and home series because there's no doubt it'd be financially beneficial to McNeese. However, I'm pretty satisfied with having Southern replaced with Cal Poly on the schedule. As far as just being a football game goes that's an interesting football game.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
No SU fan is worrying about who McNeese or NW State is scheduling.

Nor are Southern fans caring much about wins, losses or postseason success of any kid. As long as they are eating well and enjoying frosty beverages with friends at games, they are fine.

That athletic program has far more problems than their fans realize or can probably acknowledge...

gram4life
April 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Nor are Southern fans caring much about wins, losses or postseason success of any kid. As long as they are eating well and enjoying frosty beverages with friends at games, they are fine.

That athletic program has far more problems than their fans realize or can probably acknowledge...

Typical, knew it wouldn't take you long.

Panther88
April 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM

Awwwwwwwwwwww... isn't this tweeeeeeeeet.... still haven't fielded a football team and attempting to talk football. lol 2 funny.

BTW, is lamar university still open? :D

Frosty The Snowbuff
April 25th, 2010, 03:23 AM
How about us Southland fans quit worrying about the SWAC and actually get back to being competitive in the Playoffs....Ya know...SINCE WE'RE 1-4 IN THE PAST 3 SEASONS IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAINST BIG SKY OPPOSITION IN THE PLAYOFFS ALONE xbangxxbangxxbangx

This topic's BEEN old....

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
How about us Southland fans quit worrying about the SWAC and actually get back to being competitive in the Playoffs....Ya know...SINCE WE'RE 1-4 IN THE PAST 3 SEASONS IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAINST BIG SKY OPPOSITION IN THE PLAYOFFS ALONE xbangxxbangxxbangx

Thank you so much.

Panther88
April 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Some of your southland alums are stuck on a very special kind of mental instability that prevents them from sweeping around their own front door so they seek to look @ what's occurring about their neighbor's front door instead. What's even more intesting is the neighbor really could care the heck less what those folx to the left and right are doing. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

McNeese75
April 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Some of your southland alums are stuck on a very special kind of stupid that prevents them from sweeping around their own front door so they seek to look @ what's occurring about their neighbor's front door instead. What's even more intesting is the neighbor really could care the heck less what those folx to the left and right are doing. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Sounds like some of the delusional SWAC fans when it comes to thinking they have quality football teams xlolx xviolinx

GAD
April 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds like some of the delusional SWAC fans when it comes to thinking they have quality football teams xlolx xviolinx
New Hampshire 49
McNeese 13
??????????????

mikebigg
April 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Is trash talk now permissible on this Discussion Board? Last time I responded in kind, I was banned. Please let me know so that I can make the banishment worth while.

McNeese75
April 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Is trash talk now permissible on this Discussion Board? Last time I responded in kind, I was banned. Please let me know so that I can make the banishment worth while.

88 started it so talk to him

McNeese75
April 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
New Hampshire 49
McNeese 13
??????????????

Grambling 31
Southern 13 xeekx

Panther88
April 26th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Nope. The young child from lamar high school university started it. But I certainly had the wherewithall to end it, now didn't I? xnonoxxbowxxtwocentsxxhurrayx

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM

I guess you see what you want to see huh, between LUFAN and TT it's all good.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Hey, Mike.... you still here or have you been banned yet? xconfusedx

McNeese75
April 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I guess you see what you want to see huh, between LUFAN and TT it's all good.

Actually the answer to your question is NO. I think this whole thread was a joke and should have never been started. My participation is like most others in that we are all bored as hell until football starts again.

Now that the SU - McNeese scheduling issue has been put to bed I could care less if I ever see the Cowboys play another SWAC team. I feel the same way about the SWAC as you and most of the other SWAC posters on here feel about the SLC or any other conference for that matter. I have my opinion about the quality of football played in the SWAC and you have yours as well which is what it is all about.

And 88, I stand corrected, you did not start it. I jumped in stating that an LU - MSU rivalry would benefit both schools considerably more than trying to schedule SWAC schools in the future.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Now that the SU - McNeese scheduling issue has been put to bed I could care less if I ever see the Cowboys play another SWAC team. I feel the same way about the SWAC as you and most of the other SWAC posters on here feel about the SLC or any other conference for that matter.

You sure you wanna go that far with that statement? What about the Hurricane Ike season when we played your Pokes at Northwestern State during what was to be a bye week for us. McNeese needed to get a game in and my Tigers adjusted our schedule to help out a Southland Conference team.

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
You sure you wanna go that far with that statement? What about the Hurricane Ike season when we played your Pokes at Northwestern State during what was to be a bye week for us. McNeese needed to get a game in and my Tigers adjusted our schedule to help out a Southland Conference team.

Umm 3rd Coast I didn't even want to bring that one up, But some on here want to a act like the SWAC is always on the wrong side of issues.

mikebigg
April 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Now why you wanna complicate things with the truth?xnonox

McNeese75
April 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Going forward, absolutly!! All we hear (from certain posters) is how lucky we are to get a handout from the SWAC. The SWAC does not need the SLC and as far as I am concerned we don't need the SWAC. I am not downplaying what your team did in 2005, it was a great move by your school to schedule that game and I will always appreciate it and the way the home and home with Grambling was handled. I enjoyed and attended all three games.

Truth Mikebigg? What truth are you talking about? Are you insinutating there are actually some SWAC posters on here that give a s%&$ about playing SLC teams? I wonder.

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Going forward, absolutly!! All we hear (from certain posters) is how lucky we are to get a handout from the SWAC. The SWAC does not need the SLC and as far as I am concerned we don't need the SWAC. I am not downplaying what your team did in 2005, it was a great move by your school to schedule that game and I will always appreciate it and the way the home and home with Grambling was handled. I enjoyed and attended all three games.

Truth Mikebigg? What truth are you talking about? Are you insinutating there are actually some SWAC posters on here that give a s%&$ about playing SLC teams? I wonder.

There are some, I'm one that actually like playing SLC. But some on here act like, SWAC schools can't even compete against the SLC in football, which we both know isn't true.

McNeese75
April 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
There are some, I'm one that actually like playing SLC. But some on here act SWAC schools can't even compete against the SLC in football, which we both know isn't true.

I agree and as I said before I enjoyed the series with your school.

Frosty The Snowbuff
April 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Thank you so much.

There are some, I'm one that actually like playing SLC. But some on here act like, SWAC schools can't even compete against the SLC in football, which we both know isn't true.

Heck at the moment I'm wondering if we can even compete with Tarleton State....Much less a SWAC team xlolx

And no I'm not knocking the SWAC....I'm stuck on serious here....I mean we can't even field enough linemen for "practices" for crying out loud....

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM

The SLC, as of late, has had the upper hand against the SWAC in football, despite having some of the worst years in the league's history as a Football Championship Subdivision league.

Guess while the SLC has fallen, the SWAC has fallen - potentially further. The haves and have nots are making themselves clear, potentially with the gap in athletic budgets expanding...?

Now across the board, the SLC is leaps and bounds against the SWAC, to the point that the SLC wins about 85% of all contests (in all sports) against their footprint foe...this much is proven annually.

The SWAC even got it handed to them in hoops this year by the SLC, which tends to be the league's best shot at some damage.

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
The SLC, as of late, has had the upper hand against the SWAC in football, despite having some of the worst years in the league's history as a Football Championship Subdivision league.

Guess while the SLC has fallen, the SWAC has fallen - potentially further. The haves and have nots are making themselves clear, potentially with the gap in athletic budgets expanding...?

Now across the board, the SLC is leaps and bounds against the SWAC, to the point that the SLC wins about 85% of all contests (in all sports) against their footprint foe...this much is proven annually.

The SWAC even got it handed to them in hoops this year by the SLC, which tends to be the league's best shot at some damage.

Umm TT are we talking about football here or not, this is what I'm talking about with you. Get a freakin life. You are the biggest hater on this board. I guess in your mind the lowest SLC football team would beat any SWAC football team.

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Umm TT are we talking about football here or not, this is what I'm talking about with you. Get a freakin life. You are the biggest hater on this board. I guess in your mind the lowest SLC football team would beat any SWAC football team.

We're talking about reading comprehension...

And the lowest SLC football team lost to Grambling this year. It happens. The SLC does lose to the SWAC. I said the SLC had the "upper hand". That is the total W-L record as of late, not just one single game.

Unfortunately for the SWAC, the SLC is above the SWAC in football. It is proven on the field more times than not as of late. It also does not help when the SWAC teams pull out of future contests after the losses (in the last five years - this includes UAPB and Alcorn State).

What I am saying is the truth. You may not follow college athletics and may be more interested in 'band smack'.

At the end of the day, the budgets for the SWAC have a widening gap between them and like-minded low-majors. No fears, it also extends to the SLC, where those schools in Louisiana have a widening gap between them and the Texas member institutions of the same league.

The HBCUs are struggling at a rate higher than the PWCs. The HBCU culture has changed over the last few years and there is less interest from African-Americans to go to HBCUs as there were even 10 years ago. There's even the threat of some HBCUs merging with PWCs in Mississippi and Louisiana and unfortunately, $$$ carries the day...

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
We're talking about reading comprehension...

And the lowest SLC football team lost to Grambling this year. It happens. The SLC does lose to the SWAC. I said the SLC had the "upper hand". That is the total W-L record as of late, not just one single game.

Unfortunately for the SWAC, the SLC is above the SWAC in football. It is proven on the field more times than not as of late. It also does not help when the SWAC teams pull out of future contests after the losses (in the last five years - this includes UAPB and Alcorn State).

What I am saying is the truth. You may not follow college athletics and may be more interested in 'band smack'.

At the end of the day, the budgets for the SWAC have a widening gap between them and like-minded low-majors. No fears, it also extends to the SLC, where those schools in Louisiana have a widening gap between them and the Texas member institutions of the same league.

The HBCUs are struggling at a rate higher than the PWCs. The HBCU culture has changed over the last few years and there is less interest from African-Americans to go to HBCUs as there were even 10 years ago. There's even the threat of some HBCUs merging with PWCs in Mississippi and Louisiana and unfortunately, $$$ carries the day...

Yeah you need to apply it we are talking about competing in football. I see have a hard time with this.

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah you need to apply it we are talking about competing in football. I see have a hard time with this.

If we are talking about competing in football, the SWAC only need compare itself to the SWAC.

The league has returned the nine-game mandate and there are what - two, three schools not even playing more than one OOC game? All the schools care about in the SWAC is winning the in-house championship and that should be the priority.

Should it really matter how you do OOC? Not really. Doubt the perspective student-athletes care about that, though the enticement of playing an FBS opponent may be somewhat enticing.

If we are talking about 'competing in football', why are we even debating where the SWAC stands with the SLC? Or any league, since the SWAC does not compete for an HBCU title on the field or any other postseason recognition? No reason to debate why the SWAC does not play the SLC in football?

There's no merits for the league of any sort of postseason recognition. The SWAC is like the Ivy League. Historically well-recognized programs putting on football games in which great rivalries occur and a select few players that are within reach of playing at the next level...

And in the case of the SWAC (in comparison to the Ivy), a vehicle that can be used to supplement the university's budget, since if the money from classics were really going back to athletics, the basketball teams around the SWAC would not be putting together the schedules they routinely have, the baseball teams may be able to play the maximum amount of games and the list goes on...

gram4life
April 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
If we are talking about competing in football, the SWAC only need compare itself to the SWAC.

The league has returned the nine-game mandate and there are what - two, three schools not even playing more than one OOC game? All the schools care about in the SWAC is winning the in-house championship and that should be the priority.

Should it really matter how you do OOC? Not really. Doubt the perspective student-athletes care about that, though the enticement of playing an FBS opponent may be somewhat enticing.

If we are talking about 'competing in football', why are we even debating where the SWAC stands with the SLC? Or any league, since the SWAC does not compete for an HBCU title on the field or any other postseason recognition? No reason to debate why the SWAC does not play the SLC in football?

There's no merits for the league of any sort of postseason recognition. The SWAC is like the Ivy League. Historically well-recognized programs putting on football games in which great rivalries occur and a select few players that are within reach of playing at the next level...

And in the case of the SWAC (in comparison to the Ivy), a vehicle that can be used to supplement the university's budget, since if the money from classics were really going back to athletics, the basketball teams around the SWAC would not be putting together the schedules they routinely have, the baseball teams may be able to play the maximum amount of games and the list goes on...

You said all this BS just cause, come on man you better than this. Well not really, it just your way of trying to get your digs. Sad really, all that you wrote has nothing to do with what me and McNeese 75 was saying. Truth of the matter is some SWAC football programs can compete with SLC football programs. Simple as that.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
This can't be happening....... again.

McNeese75
April 26th, 2010, 10:42 PM
This can't be happening....... again.

xlolx

TexasTerror
April 27th, 2010, 05:48 AM
You said all this BS just cause, come on man you better than this. Well not really, it just your way of trying to get your digs. Sad really, all that you wrote has nothing to do with what me and McNeese 75 was saying. Truth of the matter is some SWAC football programs can compete with SLC football programs. Simple as that.

Never said they could not.

If you took a minute to read what I said, I clearly stated that the SWAC could compete with the SLC, just that the SLC has the upperhand right now in football and every other sport that the two compete with possibly the lone exception of bowling (at this point, just SFA competes there - SHSU joins the fray next year).

Again, why should we bother debating the merits of SWAC football vs SLC football? Based on track record, it is clear that the SWAC can compete, but the SLC has the upperhand in the W-L in the last five years. And again, the SWAC does not care about out of conference competition, since there's no merit of which it ultimately matters based on the intentions of the league's membership.

gram4life
April 27th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Never said they could not.

If you took a minute to read what I said, I clearly stated that the SWAC could compete with the SLC, just that the SLC has the upperhand right now in football and every other sport that the two compete with possibly the lone exception of bowling (at this point, just SFA competes there - SHSU joins the fray next year).

Again, why should we bother debating the merits of SWAC football vs SLC football? Based on track record, it is clear that the SWAC can compete, but the SLC has the upperhand in the W-L in the last five years. And again, the SWAC does not care about out of conference competition, since there's no merit of which it ultimately matters based on the intentions of the league's membership.

Last I checked nobody ask you to debate anything, I didn't need to read the rest of your BS because it wasn't on point. We were talking football but as you usually do, you start talking about other sports, money, and what we don't do. TT "RIF"

mikebigg
April 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM

You have belittled an entire conference on several occasions because of a football deal with SU that went sour. In your efforts to show your being upset with them, you have made disparaging remarks about the conference. Surely you didn't expect us to sit passively and not respond. Not hardly!

Yall stay on this...but SU don't want to play yall. That should be plain... litigate it and move on would be my advice. But you're a grown man so you can continue to post as you please...just know that we will respond in kind.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
You have belittled an entire conference on several occasions because of a football deal with SU that went sour. In your efforts to show your being upset with them, you have made disparaging remarks about the conference. Surely you didn't expect us to sit passively and not respond. Not hardly!

Yall stay on this...but SU don't want to play yall. That should be plain... litigate it and move on would be my advice. But you're a grown man so you can continue to post as you please...just know that we will respond in kind.

I was thinking the same thing. On one hand, he's thanking Texas Southern (a SWAC program) for helping his team out by giving up their coveted bye week to help his team out after one of the country's worst most controversial disasters BUT because how a few select SWAC posters respond/debate on a message board, he's ready to dismiss the entire conference? xconfusedx

What did Grambling do to McNeese?
What did Alcorn do to McNeese?
What did Mississippi Valley do to McNeese?
What did Jackson State do to McNeese?
What did Texas Southern do to McNeese?

Who else did I forget?

McNeese75
April 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Response is what this forum is all about so please feel free just do us all a favor and be a little more generous with your response instead of somthing abstract like Now why you wanna complicate things with the truth?

SU is over, they are paying for cancelling the 2010 game. As far as I am concerned all is good and I hope we never consider scheduling them again.

Sorry, but in my opinion SWAC football is inferior to the other FCS conferences. What little head to head meetings there have been in recent years seem to support that opinion. Grambling's win over Northwestern last year was apparently a good win until the Demons went ofer and then it is somewhat tarnished. Posters can laugh and belittle our program for the lack of success lately in the first round of the playoffs but you can believe, most if not all of the SWAC teams would have been pounded even worse by those teams. My opinion is based the observation that McNeese has been successful against the SWAC because they were better coached and more diciplined. The teams McNeese has been beaten by the last few years in round one were another level up in those areas.

Of course we will never know will we so that is a moot point?

Now we have a discussion going :D

McNeese75
April 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing. On one hand, he's thanking Texas Southern (a SWAC program) for helping his team out by giving up their coveted bye week to help his team out after one of the country's worst most controversial disasters BUT because how a few select SWAC posters respond/debate on a message board, he's ready to dismiss the entire conference? xconfusedx

Who else did I forget?

Already responded above but to answer your question, the schools did nothing to McNeese. Your conference just has another agenda which is fine. Just don't imply you are competitive with other conferences (outside of the MEAC) unless you play them. The only conference I do not feel McNeese competes well with is the CAA as they have owned our ass for the last 8 years.

****, September can't come fast enough xnodx

Panther88
April 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Who else did I forget?

PVAMU took them to the coveted Astrodome, which they never EVER would've appeared in any other contest unless it was sTu, and showed them what big-time college football was all about. In front of 4.5K-5K total fans of which only 800 or so were PVers as the remainder of our alumni base was totally disinterested in the matchup where we showcased 10 scholarship'd student-athletes vs their 55+. :D

Also, it was a home-and-home arrangement (test) to see how things would fair. Very lopsided w/ respect to talent and even coaching. But, that was then, this is now. They'd dare not take the same field w/ the squad we're sporting. xreadx

Truth be told, I would've loved to have seen a current Grambling vs McN or PVAMU vs McN OR sTu vs McN game. xreadx

TexasTerror
April 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Just don't imply you are competitive with other conferences (outside of the MEAC) unless you play them.

Can I get an amen? xhurrayx

The SWAC refuses to measure themselves against their FCS counterparts by playing just one, if not two out of conference games (yes, you have two openings - but several schools play just one game).

Until they are willing to do, their coaches and fan bases have no reason to speak of how competitive their conference is. We base what we can on what little OOC play, but it is really not substantial to have a good idea.

It's not like the other sports where the SWAC has an awful OOC record and it is clear they are one of the lowest of low majors.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
GREAT! xsmileyclapx

Now that we have all that established.... again can we never have a thread about it ever again? xprayx

And if we do, could we just automatically assume that that person is just posting to read his own self post?

McNeese75
April 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
GREAT! xsmileyclapx

Now that we have all that established.... again can we never have a thread about it ever again? xprayx

And if we do, could we just automatically assume that that person is just posting to read his own self post?

xlolx I'm in

McNeese75
April 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
PVAMU took them to the coveted Astrodome, which they never EVER would've appeared in any other contest unless it was sTu, and showed them what big-time college football was all about. In front of 4.5K-5K total fans of which only 800 or so were PVers as the remainder of our alumni base was totally disinterested in the matchup where we showcased 10 scholarship'd student-athletes vs their 55+. :D

Also, it was a home-and-home arrangement (test) to see how things would fair. Very lopsided w/ respect to talent and even coaching. But, that was then, this is now. They'd dare not take the same field w/ the squad we're sporting. xreadx

Truth be told, I would've loved to have seen a current Grambling vs McN or PVAMU vs McN OR sTu vs McN game. xreadx

xrolleyesx This would have been the year then with all rookie QB's in camp. After this year you don't want any of it xwhistlex

gram4life
April 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Can I get an amen? xhurrayx

The SWAC refuses to measure themselves against their FCS counterparts by playing just one, if not two out of conference games (yes, you have two openings - but several schools play just one game).

Until they are willing to do, their coaches and fan bases have no reason to speak of how competitive their conference is. We base what we can on what little OOC play, but it is really not substantial to have a good idea.

It's not like the other sports where the SWAC has an awful OOC record and it is clear they are one of the lowest of low majors.

Always back with the same line huh, TT. SAD

TSUalum05
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 AM
GREAT! xsmileyclapx

I do not believe there is a nerve in TT's body that will prevent him from saying anything negative about any other entity other than SHSU. SLC and SWAC programs should know/expect something negative from him on a daily basis.

WestCoastAggie
April 29th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Already responded above but to answer your question, the schools did nothing to McNeese. Your conference just has another agenda which is fine. Just don't imply you are competitive with other conferences (outside of the MEAC) unless you play them. The only conference I do not feel McNeese competes well with is the CAA as they have owned our ass for the last 8 years.

****, September can't come fast enough xnodx

Do not bring the meac into this please. Thank you.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I do not believe there is a nerve in TT's body that will prevent him from saying anything negative about any other entity other than SHSU. SLC and SWAC programs should know/expect something negative from him on a daily basis.

I got nothing bad to say about quite a few institutions...

For instance, I'm a big fan of Southeastern, Nicholls and Central Arkansas. Good people, universities doing great things. Had a great talk with a pair of Cowpokes yesterday regarding McNeese and how the budget situation cripples their schools compared to the Texas ones in the same league...

McNeese75
April 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Do not bring the meac into this please. Thank you.

Now Now, we are stirring a big ole pot here and don't want to leave anyone out xlolx

TSUalum05
April 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I got nothing bad to say about quite a few institutions...

For instance, I'm a big fan of Southeastern, Nicholls and Central Arkansas. Good people, universities doing great things. Had a great talk with a pair of Cowpokes yesterday regarding McNeese and how the budget situation cripples their schools compared to the Texas ones in the same league...

LOL

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
LOL

Just ask Rice about scheduling the SWAC. Not such a good move, they have to bring in the SLC to even things out...

The 28th-ranked Owls (26-16, 11-4 C-USA) certainly need any RPI boost they can muster. The Owls are currently 26th in RPI while Texas State is 38th. The Bobcats' RPI is the best of the teams remaining on the Owls' regular-season schedule, and a victory on Tuesday would help offset the RPI drag the Owls will suffer hosting Texas Southern (RPI: 260) the following evening. When it comes down to the selection committee sorting through candidates for hosting an NCAA regional, Rice will benefit from playing a quality opponent like Texas State.

http://www.riceowls.com/blog/2010/04/rpi-boost-yes-please.html

NSUDemon98
April 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
LOL

Notice he didn't say Northwestern State...xchinscratchx...it's ok, I know why.

TSUalum05
April 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Notice he didn't say Northwestern State...xchinscratchx...it's ok, I know why.

In unrelated baseball news (this is a football board), such as the last post of TT's, I see your from Atlanta TX, there's a story in the Houston Chronicle about the Astros owner Drayton Maclane not signing Drew Stubbs out of Atlanta High School allowing him to be drafted by the Reds 3 years later.

NSUDemon98
May 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
In unrelated baseball news (this is a football board), such as the last post of TT's, I see your from Atlanta TX, there's a story in the Houston Chronicle about the Astros owner Drayton Maclane not signing Drew Stubbs out of Atlanta High School allowing him to be drafted by the Reds 3 years later.

Yeah, I actually teach(band) at Atlanta H.S. Drew graduated h.s. a year or two before I got there but everyone here is Stubbs crazy. His brother graduated from AHS back in 2006 and went to UT for a couple years.

I know his dad real well. He is a road guy for a sports gear/screen sprinting company out of Texarkana and he calls on us anytime we need anything. REAL nice and a super nice family.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Just ask Rice about scheduling the SWAC. Not such a good move, they have to bring in the SLC to even things out...

http://www.riceowls.com/blog/2010/04/rpi-boost-yes-please.html

Good thing Rice brought in the best the SLC had to offer to even things out before they take on the lowly Tigers...

Rice 16
Texas State 2

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Good thing Rice brought in the best the SLC had to offer to even things out before they take on the lowly Tigers...

Hats off to Rice, may be the first time they've went undefeated against the SLC in a season in a long, long time...

Still surprised they are playing Texas Southern, but it'll be good pub for TSU and a chance for the SWAC to pull off a win over a strong program. Saw PV had a great effort yesterday and JSU pulled a stunner. Any single day of the season, just like AGS!

LUFAN1
May 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Lamar beat Rice this year so they did not sweep the SLC. We beat them at Reckling 13-7.

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Lamar beat Rice this year so they did not sweep the SLC. We beat them at Reckling 13-7.

Glad to hear it...

For some reason, though Lamar lost both games. Must've been during one of those highs, since I know you guys are Jekkyl and Hyding it this year.

Sonic98
June 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Southern would have to upgrade basketball, baseball and softball facilities if FBS is on the horizon. They'd also have to upgrade staffs in terms of the number of assistants and in several areas of the athletic infrastructure - quality of said individuals...

SU has lost a few teams off their baseball schedule due to the facility situation (though Jaguar fans will point to threat of a loss), but I have heard that from two Div I head coaches.

Not just SU but all SWAC schools need to be doing this even if not tryna move to FBS

UAPB
Southern
Texas Southern
Prairie View
Alcorn State

Problems in what way? Do you mean a return game?

Let's just cut to the chase here.

The Southland games mentioned were either HOMECOMING games, in which the attendance is going to be there no matter what or opening weekend games (McNeese and Northwestern State).

The Jags have played THREE Southland teams mainly (NW State, Nicholls State, and McNeese with Southeastern being a past rival). ALL of our matchups with NW State and McNeese were opening weekend games. Attendance was always there ... case in point ... check NW State's attendance records for Turpin Stadium .... SU is all over them.

Here's the bottom line:
(a) Our fans do not care about those teams. Case in point .... who always brings up the McNeese/SU situation .... not us. Who wants us back on their schedule (NW State). I wouldn't mind a series with SLU because of the extreme closeness, but the others .... other than McNeese, they NEVER came to Mumford but each of them profitted off of SU fans. Don't believe me .... check their SU games and then check their other games.

(b) We gain very little in playing Soutland schools. Since we do not care about the FCS playoffs, what could we gain from playing those schools. Let some tell it, we already lose recruits to these schools (I don't see it and have not) for not playing in the playoffs (SU didn't have that problem this year at all), so with that NOT changing, there is no need to play the unless it suits our needs (i.e. Home games). Nicholls State was a rare case in the offense they ran. We would not see that at any other time in our season. Combine that with the lowest attendance coming from a Southland school and it was an easy decision to let them go.

That leaves us with FBS games that make sense (ULL, local area teams beneath the BCS conferences IMO), traditional FCS rivals that respond in kind when they come to Baton Rouge, and unfortunately D-II schools. However, if that suits the majority of the fanbase and at this moment, SU is not worried about FCS postseason, that's exactly what they should do.

I only have one small disagreement with you. I do not think not caring or not having a chance to play in the playoffs is a reason to not schedule non-HBCU games. All the other points are completely valid, but I think that is the very reason we should play them from time to time as a conference. I'm not saying do a home and home but what other chance are we gonna get a chance to match up against these teams

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Problems in what way? Do you mean a return game?

Returning games.
Not showing up for games.
Dropping schools from the schedule without informing the schools.

The SLC is not the only conference that has problems with the SWAC. I've been at a mid-major game in which Cador called a school 90 minutes before first pitch and called a game because he could not field a team due to finals. Seriously?!?

The SWAC has plenty of administrative problems. It is obvious in the league infrastructure at the top (i.e. lawsuit, revolving door of administrators) and it is reflective in several of the schools within the league as well.

It may have to do with paying low salaries within the lowest budgets in Division I, showing an inability to get people - but on TSPN and here, I've been informed you pay really well, so must be making bad choices.

El Gato
June 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM

Rice 16
Texas State 2

Posting the score does nothing to diminish the fact that Texas State RPI remained in the 40's, and TSU's in the high 200's.

Our team had a bad day, it happens. Hell, we dropped a series, and a tournament game to Nicholls State (No. 8 in the conference).

You want to go the route of posting scores, then I can do the same:

Texas State 16
PVA&M 6 (8 innings)

Texas State 18
PVA&M 6

Texas State 7
Texas Southern 0

Texas State 16
Texas Southern 4

Texas State 10
Texas Southern 2

Texas State 22
PVA&M 6

Texas State 9
PVA&M 4

Texas State 7
PVA&M 2

Texas State 7
PVA&M 1

Texas State 15
Texas Southern 6

Texas State 6
Texas Southern 1

Texas State 12
Texas Southern 3

Texas State 22
Texas Southern 21

SWAC is 0-13 against the Bobcats in the last eight years, and that's cause I coudln't find anything past 2002.

And before we bring in the whole this is a football forum why am I posting baseball scores. You opened up the door, I merely stepped through it. But, in order to close that door up and come back to football talk and talk of the SWAC in general...

Texas State 52
Texas Southern 18

Texas State 63
Texas Southern 39

Texas State 41
Texas Southern 21

Texas State 17
Texas Southern 10

So 0-4 in football since '02.

So in order to prevent this post from being construed as smack, let the posted scores serve as evidence for the argument that The SWAC has not been able to produce wins on a consistent basis with the SLC schools, Texas State as a SLC rep. in this example.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
So in order to prevent this post from being construed as smack, let the posted scores serve as evidence for the argument that The SWAC has not been able to produce wins on a consistent basis with the SLC schools, Texas State as a SLC rep. in this example.

I've done it before in season's past. The SWAC fans do not care much about it, though they continually think it is some sort of bluff.

Truth be known, the SLC wins at an 85-90% clip at minimum across all sports against the SWAC.

Panther88
June 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM

Au contraire, mes amie! Some of us do care. I want PVAMU to win @ everything but considering the obstacles we have, I understand why we don't coupled w/ where and how we recruit, as well. (what we're able to attract & retain)

I WISHED we'd go head-to-head w/ TxSt for a nice regional matchup. I wished we'd gone head-to-head vs SHSU lately but I understand the reasoning for the direction our staff took (FBS $$$$$ vs FCS pennies). If the opportunity presents itself, in any sport, for us to complete vs the SLC, I expect victory by our Panthers. Baseball/softball and golf are a differing animal though. lol

3rd Coast Tiger
June 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Posting the score does nothing to diminish the fact that Texas State RPI remained in the 40's, and TSU's in the high 200's.

Our team had a bad day, it happens. Hell, we dropped a series, and a tournament game to Nicholls State (No. 8 in the conference).

You want to go the route of posting scores, then I can do the same:

Texas State 16
PVA&M 6 (8 innings)

Texas State 18
PVA&M 6

Texas State 7
Texas Southern 0

Texas State 16
Texas Southern 4

Texas State 10
Texas Southern 2

Texas State 22
PVA&M 6

Texas State 9
PVA&M 4

Texas State 7
PVA&M 2

Texas State 7
PVA&M 1

Texas State 15
Texas Southern 6

Texas State 6
Texas Southern 1

Texas State 12
Texas Southern 3

Texas State 22
Texas Southern 21

SWAC is 0-13 against the Bobcats in the last eight years, and that's cause I coudln't find anything past 2002.

And before we bring in the whole this is a football forum why am I posting baseball scores. You opened up the door, I merely stepped through it. But, in order to close that door up and come back to football talk and talk of the SWAC in general...

Texas State 52
Texas Southern 18

Texas State 63
Texas Southern 39

Texas State 41
Texas Southern 21

Texas State 17
Texas Southern 10

So 0-4 in football since '02.

xhurrayx Congrats in your research efforts even though you don't know the context of my statement. xsmiley_wix