PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need a pocket passer QB for 1 year?

nms1987
April 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5069146

Tennessee rising senior Nick Stephens is transferring after falling behind JUCO transfer Matt Simms and freshman Tyler Bray in spring practice.

He isn't a great QB, but he isn't a bad one either. He would do an effective job managing a passing attack.

He is originally from Texas and apparently wants to play his final year at a school in Texas.

His career numbers at Tennessee are 72 completions in 143 passes (50.3 %) for 982 yards, 5 TDs and 4 interceptions. All but 13 of his career passes came in 2008 as he briefly the job from a struggling Jonathan Crompton in that miserable last year of the Fulmer era.

He was a 3 to 4 star recruit out of HS. Both major sites had him as a top 15 QB. Chose Tennessee over Michigan, Ole Miss, Illinois, Ga Tech and Okla State among others.

So, what teams need a 1 year stop gap starter at the QB position?

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sam Houston.

He's from Texas, wouldn't have to sit out a year and, well, they always take transfers because they can't recruit high school quarterbacks. xlolxxrulesx

Ronbo
April 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
He must have graduated already to qualify for the transfer.

spdram
April 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you are off on your rules. A player can go "down" from FBS to FCS without sitting. If you go up or to the same level you have to have graduated.

lionsrking2
April 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you are off on your rules. A player can go "down" from FBS to FCS without sitting. If you go up or to the same level you have to have graduated.

Must have at least two years of eligibility remaining to transfer down...unless said player has already graduated and will enter grad school.

TexasTerror
April 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sam Houston.

He's from Texas, wouldn't have to sit out a year and, well, they always take transfers because they can't recruit high school quarterbacks. xlolxxrulesx

They can recruit HS quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, we've had our fair share of injuries and inability by the old OC/HC in developing them, that has setback our reputation.

Last year, we had no choice based on injuries and the fact all of our legitimate QB options were true freshmen.

Uncle Buck
April 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Hofstra needs a pocket passer, maybe some o-linemen, Wr's, some RB's, an entire defense, coaching staff, yeah, we'll probably just scrap the 2010 season.

nms1987
April 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Must have at least two years of eligibility remaining to transfer down...unless said player has already graduated and will

Every story on Stephens transfer has said something like this line from MSNBC..com
"Stephens hasn't determined where he will play but will go to either a Football Championship Subdivision school or one in a lower division so that he won't lose his final year of eligibility."

Sounds like he is eligible for I-AA/FCS play

nms1987
April 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
He's from Texas, wouldn't have to sit out a year and, well, they always take transfers because they can't recruit high school quarterbacks.

Why WOULDN'T you bring in QBs like Rhett Bomar and Blake Joseph?
Sounds like a pretty silly, jealous complaint. SHSU has gotten very good QB play the last 3 years.

The passing attack isn't what foiled SHSU, the D did.

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM
He's from Texas, wouldn't have to sit out a year and, well, they always take transfers because they can't recruit high school quarterbacks.

Why WOULDN'T you bring in QBs like Rhett Bomar and Blake Joseph?
Sounds like a pretty silly, jealous complaint. SHSU has gotten very good QB play the last 3 years.

The passing attack isn't what foiled SHSU, the D did.

JEALOUS?! xthumbsdownx HAHAHA...not at all, seen as how we were 2-0 against the Kats (with Joseph and Bomar) with our poor little QBs that we recruited. I'll take the wins, thanks. xrolleyesx

I just think if you continuously take QB transfers, your program has credibility issues when your head coach has to go into a HS QB recruit's home and try to convince them to "play" at your school...especially when you bring in one-and-done players.

Bomar and Joseph weren't the only two one-and-done transfer QBs at Sam. And yes, their defense has been...lacking.

EDIT: Bomar was a two-year transfer...my bad.

BACK TO THE TOPIC...

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
So what are his possibilities?

Hometown is near the Dallas area.

SFA? Nah, they still have Moses.

Sam? I think it could be a possibility. They don't have a star at QB this year...

Abilene Christian (Div II) ? "Relatively" close to Dallas...not sure about their QB situation but they are a really good team. Could get them over the hump.

Midwestern State (Div II) ? 2 hrs from Dallas

Tarleton (Div II)? Going through a QB transition. And according to d2football.com board, they may be looking to bring in a Div I transfer.....

Libertine
April 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Must have at least two years of eligibility remaining to transfer down...unless said player has already graduated and will

Every story on Stephens transfer has said something like this line from MSNBC..com
"Stephens hasn't determined where he will play but will go to either a Football Championship Subdivision school or one in a lower division so that he won't lose his final year of eligibility."

Sounds like he is eligible for I-AA/FCS play

Don't trust reporters whose heads are permanently lodged in the posterior crack of the SEC to understand rules about transferring down. In order for him to go FCS, he has to have either two years left or have graduated and be enrolled in a graduate program that his original school does not offer. Otherwise, it's down to D2 for him.