PDA

View Full Version : Spring Practice reports

bjtheflamesfan
April 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
With spring ball in full swing across the country I thought Id open the floor and see how everybody is looking as we come to the end of the school year and looking forward to the new season...

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
From what we've been getting, Furman has been running a far more uptempo practice than anyone can remember from years past. I hope that it is maybe some indication that the Paladins will try to speed up the pace in 2010. I still contend that Furman is as talented on offense as any team in the conference, and a focus on getting as many snaps during the course of a game as possible needs to be a priority.

Also, it appears there is still a competition open for starting quarterback. I would still give the inside track to Chris Forcier, but the Dins have really worked hard on recruiting dual threat QBs. Senior Cody Worley isn't giving up on the position easily. Freshman Hollingsworth, a kid who de-committed to Miss. State upon their coaching change and came to Furman is a name of the future. He's in the running as starting QB, but will likely get his shot in a couple years.

DJOM
April 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Players on Princeton like new Coaches and systems.

JagHammer
April 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
In Baton Rouge, new coach Stump Mitchell is busy getting his system underway. With 5 a.m. practices, the Jags look to be a better disciplined team this year.

Horseshoe App
April 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
From what we've been getting, Furman has been running a far more uptempo practice than anyone can remember from years past. I hope that it is maybe some indication that the Paladins will try to speed up the pace in 2010. I still contend that Furman is as talented on offense as any team in the conference, and a focus on getting as many snaps during the course of a game as possible needs to be a priority.

Also, it appears there is still a competition open for starting quarterback. I would still give the inside track to Chris Forcier, but the Dins have really worked hard on recruiting dual threat QBs. Senior Cody Worley isn't giving up on the position easily. Freshman Hollingsworth, a kid who de-committed to Miss. State upon their coaching change and came to Furman is a name of the future. He's in the running as starting QB, but will likely get his shot in a couple years.

It seems as if Furman is getting some strong talent from the past few recruiting classes. However, to say your talent is on par with the upper levels of the Southern Conference is not quite valid at this point. I remember playing high school football with a guy who went to Furman and actually started as a Defensive end on your championship team. He was actually from Boone, NC. At that point in time, Furman had the best talent in the Southern Conference. He turned down Appalachian to go to Furman. This isn't the case anymore. Furman needs to catch up on talent with Appalachian, Wofford and Elon. I hope they do. However, Georgia Southern has a quicker path to the top than Furman. Georgia Southern, because of its tradition, will recruit better athletes than Furman and get back quicker. It also helps that Georgia Southern and Appalachian is not as strict on admissions as Furman. Again, I think the Southern Conference is better when Furman is at the top but I just do not think it will happenas quick as you think. Just my opinion:)

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2010, 06:58 AM
It seems as if Furman is getting some strong talent from the past few recruiting classes. However, to say your talent is on par with the upper levels of the Southern Conference is not quite valid at this point. I remember playing high school football with a guy who went to Furman and actually started as a Defensive end on your championship team. He was actually from Boone, NC. At that point in time, Furman had the best talent in the Southern Conference. He turned down Appalachian to go to Furman. This isn't the case anymore. Furman needs to catch up on talent with Appalachian, Wofford and Elon. I hope they do. However, Georgia Southern has a quicker path to the top than Furman. Georgia Southern, because of its tradition, will recruit better athletes than Furman and get back quicker. It also helps that Georgia Southern and Appalachian is not as strict on admissions as Furman. Again, I think the Southern Conference is better when Furman is at the top but I just do not think it will happenas quick as you think. Just my opinion:)

I disagree. Sure, Furman didn't have an Armanti Edwards. However, this 2010 team is arguably the most athletic Furman has ever been. Not saying it translates to wins, but the talent is certainly there.

You'll also note that, looking at recruiting, Furman has actually been winning many of the head to head battles for players against the likes of App and others in the conference. For example, Furman's projected starting left tackle, Dakota Dozier, is a guy that App offered two years ago and turned down to go to Furman. So, that certainly still happens.

It has been a few years since Furman has returned to the top. However, I think fans are cautiously optimistic about 2010. I generally set realistic expectations for the season, and I think Furman will compete for the conference title.

Horseshoe App
April 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I disagree. Sure, Furman didn't have an Armanti Edwards. However, this 2010 team is arguably the most athletic Furman has ever been. Not saying it translates to wins, but the talent is certainly there.

You'll also note that, looking at recruiting, Furman has actually been winning many of the head to head battles for players against the likes of App and others in the conference. For example, Furman's projected starting left tackle, Dakota Dozier, is a guy that App offered two years ago and turned down to go to Furman. So, that certainly still happens.

It has been a few years since Furman has returned to the top. However, I think fans are cautiously optimistic about 2010. I generally set realistic expectations for the season, and I think Furman will compete for the conference title.

I hope you are right. Like I said, the conference is better when Furman is near the top. I enjoy hating Furman more than any other team in the conferencexsmiley_wix It is no fun when I don't have a reason to hate them.

Bull Fan
April 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
The report from Hofstra this spring:

....Son's a bitches.... xoopsx xsmhx

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Reports? I'm still waiting for February's signing list. xsmhx

LBPop
April 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
The report from Hofstra this spring:

....Son's a bitches.... xoopsx xsmhx

Don't blame you one bit. Bad football is still better than no football.xcoffeex

CrazyCat
April 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/2/zbv0QK8lDng

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/1/hNeFRajeVTc

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/0/s2Ge6wOdQz0

http://bozeman-www2.bozemandailychronicle.com/bobcat-blog/?cat=4

Rekdiver
April 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
We don't have a Quarterback...............We will run the Single Wing this year.

Woe is us....woe is us......

RichH2
April 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Lehigh having a very good spring so far, no injuries. Most positions set. Scrimmages set for 10 and 17which should provide lotsmore info particularly on O wit new OC.

mikebigg
April 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.thederisoreport.com/2010/04/06/new-tdr-video-rush-drills-from-grambling-spring-2010/

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
We don't have a Quarterback...............We will run the Single Wing this year.

Woe is us....woe is us......

who is going to be the quarterback?

DG Cowboy
April 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
McNeese Coach Matt Viator quoted today in the LC American-Press that Zack Fourroux, Derrick's brother, would be the choice for QB, if he had to pick right now. Others are close behind.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/2/zbv0QK8lDng

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/1/hNeFRajeVTc

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChronicleBlueAndGold#p/a/u/0/s2Ge6wOdQz0

http://bozeman-www2.bozemandailychronicle.com/bobcat-blog/?cat=4

Interesting, I've never seen a school that leaves the helmet decals on for spring ball. Every college team I've ever seen just has blank hats for spring.

Uncle Buck
April 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Stony Brook kicks off their spring practice today, i'll be eager to see how the Hofstra orphans fit in. Spring game is scheduled for May 2nd.

CrazyCat
April 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Interesting, I've never seen a school that leaves the helmet decals on for spring ball. Every college team I've ever seen just has blank hats for spring.

I can't find any Big Sky teams that don't have decals on their helmets for spring ball.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I can't find any Big Sky teams that don't have decals on their helmets for spring ball.

Fair enough.

I'd be interested in the numbers of those who do and don't.

CFBfan
April 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Fair enough.

I'd be interested in the numbers of those who do and don't.

who has decals on their helmets for spring ball??? are you kidding me?? xlolx
what relevance could that possibly have?

DFW HOYA
April 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Decals as in the school logo, not for game awards.

For example, I'd think Yale would have the block "Y" on all its helmets, not just as a decal.

CFBfan
April 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Decals as in the school logo, not for game awards.

For example, I'd think Yale would have the block "Y" on all its helmets, not just as a decal.

yes, i understood that, what is the importance of that for spring ball??? am I missing something?

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
east coast bias.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Got me.

Apparently Big Sky teams feel that during the spring they need to make sure to remind the players each spring practice what team they're playing for?

CrazyCat
April 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Got me.

Apparently Big Sky teams feel that during the spring they need to make sure to remind the players each spring practice what team they're playing for?

I randomly picked 8 teams from 8 different conferences and guess what....every one had decals. I think NDSU is the oddball in this stupid topic.

lionsrking2
April 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Southeastern Louisiana is in a lull right now for spring break...practice will resume on Monday, April 12th and continue through the Spring Game on Saturday, April 24th.

Defense has been outstanding through the first several practices and this is easily the best personnel we've put on the field on that side of the ball since bringing football back...lots of experience and depth at just about every position...particularly strong in the secondary and at LB and should be much improved up front...factor in a more conservative approach offensively and I suspect we'll see major improvement statistically in 2010. Then again, we need to stay healthy and avoid academic casualties...if so, we have a chance to be very, very good.

Offensively, we have to replace Brian Babin and have a full-fledged QB competition going between Tyler Beatty and B.J. Young...it's tough to get a fair look going against our defense everyday, but both have had their moments...neither has shown enough consistency to stake inside claim to the job, but at times, they'll make NFL-caliber throws that will make your jaw drop. Beatty is more physically talented and can spin it 75 yards with ease, while Young has more touch and appears to have more savvy in the pocket.

The running backs have been very impressive...Zeke Jones is up to 247 pounds (good pounds) and running downhill, with authority, while Sam Fairley, at 5-9, 185, provides an elusive, break-away threat who can also run with power.

The offensive line returns 4 of 5 starters, but will have to replace David Ward, who unexpectedly received a tremendous grad school offer that he couldn't refuse...he would have been a 5th year senior and a four year starter, and his leadership will be sorely missed.

With over 100 guys going through drills, this is the first time we'll be able to split up into two separate teams for the spring game...should be interesting and a lot of fun on the 24th!!

MplsBison
April 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I randomly picked 8 teams from 8 different conferences and guess what....every one had decals. I think NDSU is the oddball in this stupid topic.

What method did you use to verify that?

CrazyCat
April 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
What method did you use to verify that?

I doubt you have heard about it but it's called "Google." You can actually type in a teams name and look to see if they are playing spring ball and then look for photos from practice. Now that I've given out my secret, I will let you finish this little project.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I doubt you have heard about it but it's called "Google." You can actually type in a teams name and look to see if they are playing spring ball and then look for photos from practice. Now that I've given out my secret, I will let you finish this little project.

I went to both Montana State's and Montana's athletics websites and there were no such pictures shown under the football team link.

Please link to such pictures you're talking about.

CrazyCat
April 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I went to both Montana State's and Montana's athletics websites and there were no such pictures shown under the football team link.

Please link to such pictures you're talking about.

I'll give you one but your on your own for the rest

http://www.msubobcats.com/ click on that thing that says photo gallery

andy7171
April 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Interesting. Most schools recondition their helmets after the season and again after spring ball, if needed. Some schools must just do it just after spring. When I was at Towson, we wouldn't have decals on until the week before the season began.

The Cats
April 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Catamount Football Opened Spring Drills on Tuesday Morning

April 6, 2010

Cullowhee, N.C. - Under the guidance of third-year head coach Dennis Wagner, the Western Carolina Catamount football team opened its annual spring drills on Tuesday morning with a 24-session practice on the turf at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field.

Practice started at 8:15 am and the team was off the field around 10:15 am to conclude the first day.

With the new video board and scoreboards looking on from the Ramsey Center end zone and donning shorts and helmets, the Catamounts separated into offense and defense for the majority of the practice with one team, offense-vs.-defense session, a 7-on-7 pass skeleton.

more here (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040610aaa.html)

MplsBison
April 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Interesting. Most schools recondition their helmets after the season and again after spring ball, if needed. Some schools must just do it just after spring. When I was at Towson, we wouldn't have decals on until the week before the season began.

Montana State must not recondition their helmets after the season.

I find it hard to believe that the equipment staff goes through the process of applying the decals back to the helmets just for spring ball...talk about a waste of time and effort.

CrazyCat
April 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
xoopsx

Canyoncat
April 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'll give you one but your on your own for the rest

http://www.msubobcats.com/ click on that thing that says photo gallery

Actually, I think this is the first time I have noticed the Cats having decals on the helmets durning spring. Wonder if they are getting new helmits this fall???

Anyway's, who cares!

MplsBison
April 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Actually, I think this is the first time I have noticed the Cats having decals on the helmets durning spring. Wonder if they are getting new helmits this fall???

Anyway's, who cares!

Ah! Now there is a reasonable explanation.

New helmets this upcoming season.

Blue shells with gold "M"?

CFBfan
April 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ah! Now there is a reasonable explanation.

New helmets this upcoming season.

Blue shells with gold "M"?

please see last comment above yours.....

MplsBison
April 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
please see last comment above yours.....

You mean the one about getting new helmets next season?

CFBfan
April 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
You mean the one about getting new helmets next season?

no, the one where they are thinking about switching chin straps

CrazyCat
April 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.msubobcats.com/images/2010/3/1/rp_primary_poster.jpg

Legendary sportscaster Brent Musburger, who grew up in Montana, along with youth clinics and a Bobcat football scrimmage highlight Triangle Classic Weekend in Great Falls, April 9-10.

The voice of college football and basketball for ABC and ESPN known as one of America's most noteworthy and accomplished sportscasters, Musburger traces his roots to Big Timber. He has called nearly every major sporting event, including The Masters and the World Series.

Musburger will serve as guest speaker for the annual Triangle Classic Banquet at the Four Seasons Arena in Great Falls, which begins at 5 pm. Youth cheer and football clinics for children in third through eighth grade occur Saturday at Paris Gibson, with the Triangle Classic Scrimmage set for Memorial Stadium in the late afternoon. Times on both are to be announced.

Montana State Football and the MSU Spirit Squad will sponsor two free clinics for kids in grades 3-8 at the Paris Middle School on Saturday beginning at noon.

DG Cowboy
April 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Promising McNeese running back Javaris Murray is out for a year with a knee job. Medical Redshirt. No 2010 for him in The Hole.

andy7171
April 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Junior transfer QB apparently has one heck of an arm.

Frosty The Snowbuff
April 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
All I have to say about our spring...

Northwestern State thankfully finishes the Spring....

WITH THREE HEALTHY O-LINEMEN xeekxxeekxxeekx

What is going on here??? We couldn't even hold an actual spring game because we couldn't field enough O-linemen....We even had a Walk-On from Germany suit up to play 9-0n-9 and he rolls his ankle....If this is how it's gonna be when fall arrives...then ya might as well throw us in the Southland Celler xsmhx

We need to toughen up.....FAST....as in YESTERDAY FAST

UAalum72
April 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Albany spring game report

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=204935723

CopperCat
April 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Montana State must not recondition their helmets after the season.

I find it hard to believe that the equipment staff goes through the process of applying the decals back to the helmets just for spring ball...talk about a waste of time and effort.

Much like your above keystrokes........

GOKATS
April 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Much like your above keystrokes........

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ngineer
April 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Lehigh's defense beat the offense, 39-37 in an entertaining game at Goodman under ideal conditions. Estimated 1,200 in attendance. Defense, as expected, ahead of the offense, plus having seen the offense for four weeks, one could see they knew their reads. Two leading QBs were 'live' as the coaches wanted to see them in 'pressure' situations. Both Clark and Lum had their moments, especially Clark in the opening drive with a gorgeous 20 yard TD pass in the corner of the endzone. Several dropped balls by WRs was bothersome, though some were on tough passes (several slightly behind) but if your hand get on the ball it must be caught.
Secondary came up with 4 picks (3 against rising soph Colvin), and looked very strong in coverage. Colvin was a surprise player, coming back from broken leg late last fall. However he did wear a red jersey.
Punting game looked excellent as Smith seemed to pick up where he left off last year. Some very nice boomers with hang time. Peery probably leads in the PK competition, though that will remain open in August, along with a new frosh PK coming in.
Campbell, Barket, Kablan, ran hard, though no huge gains on the ground. Walker did not suit up. This guy has been snake bitten with injuries his whole career.
Several DL also didn't play, expecially Winett, so the DL depth looks very good as some rising sophs got a lot of time and one, Chagani, could be pushing for a starting job.
Captains were named: Al Pierce (he of Lafayette game fame) on defense and Will Rackley (All-American tackle ) on offense.
Only real concern, from my view, is depth in the OL. The starting line looked pretty good; however, the second string got manhandled by the 1st D, so those guys need to step it up.
Also learned that the new OC is giving the QBs 'packages' of plays to deal with on each snap with the QB deciding on 'the' play at the line. Still some of the bothersome "looking at the sideline hand gestures" for checkoffs from time to time, but that fad may be fading. Clark commented that Cecchini is more "detailed oriented" than the previous OC.
Lots of work to do, but no question there is optimism on Old South Mountain. A lot of energy.
Season ticket renewals go out next week and applications to the general public June 3. Gotta buy the whole package if you want a ticket to the Lafayette game this year.

phoenixphanatic21
April 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Elon's spring game recap, including an interview with Coach Lembo

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news.aspx?sid=fb&nid=7233

JackFan
April 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Spring Update on the Lumberjacks:
Aside from all the helmet decal talk spring practice has gone pretty well in jack land. Going into spring the offense was defiantly the big question mark on the team. Aside from Michael Harrick returning at qb we lost all of our specialist guys losing 3 big time receivers and needing to fill a huge void with the graduation of Alex Henderson (which got signed by the rams as a free agent). We picked up a huge receiver, a transfer from San Jose St. which is someone to keep an eye on this next season as he is big and physical with decent speed and great hands. Dixon appears to be the replacement for Henderson but really has seen limited action through the spring so who knows.

The defense is really going to be the strong point on this team next year as they return a lot of guys that saw significant playing time last season when not expecting it. Hopefully the backbone of this D , cody dowd will stay healthy as he is a beast.

Kicking should be really solid, during the spring game a 51 yarder was hit with plenty of distance and he was ¾ for the day.

ngineer
April 26th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Lehigh as posted a clip and report on it's website regarding the Spring Game:
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/

The Cats
April 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
WCU has a report here (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042510aab.html)

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Furman's spring game was headlined by the defense. Most Paladin faithful seem to think that our offense can score points, so the defense playing well is a definite plus. Still young on the defensive front, but potentially the most talented group of DBs the Paladins have had in recent memory.