PDA

View Full Version : Will selling beer help your program?

techstate
April 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Interesting article here on beer sales for college teams.

Overall, about three dozen of the roughly 120 largest NCAA Division 1 schools allow beer sales inside their stadiums, though many limit sales to luxury suites, lounges or club-seating areas.

He said concessions generate about $6 per fan when beer is included. Last year, The Ragin' Cajuns attracted, on average, 21,500 fans per game.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271416817105157.html

Pretty good debate here while most campuses are dry, therefore all alcohol is banned from the stadiums on campus; I think it is pretty hard not to argue that it would increase revenue and possibly ticket sales. The question is it worth it to deal with all the idiots who drink to much and want to fight each other during the game. A lot of schools that do sell put restrictions on selling such as only in luxury boxes and limit the number per order or close the stand after halftime.

What do you guys think? Does your school allow alcohol sales? If so how is your attendance rate. It would be interesting to see the number changes between selling and non selling.

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Alcohol is allowed in the luxury boxes at Montana, but it is not sold at the general concession areas in the stadium. Alcohol sales would be HUGE at Washington-Grizzly stadium for multilple reasons. First, as most people know, people in Montana enjoy drinking, if sales were allowed inside the stadium it would be a great source of revenue for the University. Also, because the University allows fans to leave the stadium at halftime, the stadium is pretty sparse at the beginning of the third quarter because so many people leave for a beer or eight. If alcohol sales were allowed in the stadium I think it would provide a good revenue stream and keep the stadium filled throughout the game.

ncbears
April 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Alcohol is allowed in the luxury boxes at Montana, but it is not sold at the general concession areas in the stadium. Alcohol sales would be HUGE at Washington-Grizzly stadium for multilple reasons. First, as most people know, people in Montana enjoy drinking, if sales were allowed inside the stadium it would be a great source of revenue for the University. Also, because the University allows fans to leave the stadium at halftime, the stadium is pretty sparse at the beginning of the third quarter because so many people leave for a beer or eight. If alcohol sales were allowed in the stadium I think it would provide a good revenue stream and keep the stadium filled throughout the game.

Yeah, don't you guys have the highest DUIs in America? Something I wouldn't be proud of.

Redbird Ray
April 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
I think price of beer factors into the equation as well. If we are talking NFL prices ($10.00 for a 20oz. domestic), then I think you will still see the people who are only there to get drunk, go back to tailgate at halftime. But I think most students, and probably most alums/townies, would stay put for a moderately priced beer.

Definitely would increase game revenue either way, and I think would probably modestly increase attendance at most FCS, and lower attended FBS games. I know Northwestern has contemplated selling beer at Ryan Field for years, in an attempt to bring in more Chicago northsiders on Saturdays.

ThompsonThe
April 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Dang straight it would boost attendance and money.

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, don't you guys have the highest DUIs in America? Something I wouldn't be proud of.

I agree its nothing to be proud of. If anything selling alcohol in the stadium could be beneficial to cut back on that, high beer prices might mean fewer drinks for people, people could be cut off from consumption, if beer isn't sold in the 4th quarter people couldn't drink as much.

OldSouth
April 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
The Rock sells beer in the Yosef Club and in the Luxury Boxes. Last year when they started it I couldn't believe I could sit in my seats watching my favorite team with my favorite friends and drinking beer. So long mini bottles.

Of course at Griz stadium this year our mini bottles were fifths. I think that is what the locals called mini bottles.

techstate
April 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I agree its nothing to be proud of. If anything selling alcohol in the stadium could be beneficial to cut back on that, high beer prices might mean fewer drinks for people, people could be cut off from consumption, if beer isn't sold in the 4th quarter people couldn't drink as much.

Or they drink as much as they can until the fourth quarter.

Is Montana a dry campus? It seems like most campuses don't want student to drink at all. Cal Poly limits tail gating to 1 parking lot and only 2 or 3 hours before the game. You can not have alcohol and you can not resume during halftime. Our attendance wasn't horrible but you have to imagine that letting people have a beer or two at the game or during tail gating would increase attendance.

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM

Is Montana a dry campus? It seems like most campuses don't want student to drink at all. Cal Poly limits tail gating to 1 parking lot and only 2 or 3 hours before the game. You can not have alcohol and you can not resume during halftime. Our attendance wasn't horrible but you have to imagine that letting people have a beer or two at the game or during tail gating would increase attendance.

As I remember, as long as you were 21 or older you were allowed to drink in the dorms. During games pretty much anything goes, people are there hours before the games, during halftime, and some stay for a while after the game.

JohnStOnge
April 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Of course it would.

superman7515
April 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Well I know there have been quite a few instances in the resort areas around here where someone was drinking at a bar or event, had a few too many, got into an accident, and then sued the event that was serving the alcohol and won. I'd be a little apprehensive about something like that.

elon77
April 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Don't they sell shine during the games in Boone? Beer would be a let down, wouldn't it?:D

Grizzaholic
April 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM

Next time you have a thought, just don't post.

slostang
April 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Cal Poly does allow drinking in one of the tailgate areas if you pay the $20.00 for the right and you are over 21. Cal Poly also has the Stampede Club B-B-Q with all the beer and wine you can drink in 3 hours before the game for those fans that are stampede members. There are usually between 1,500 and 2,500 people attending the stampede B-B-Q before each game. They also allow drinking in the donor suites and presidents suite during the game.

bluehenbillk
April 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Simple solution: Beer cures everything.

FargoBison
April 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
It would make a ton of money at NDSU but it will never happen, dry campus.

Bogus Megapardus
April 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Selling beer, storing beer and allowing beer are three different things. Many campuses selectively allow (or simply have no rules regarding) beer in the parking areas. Some permit service of beer in a separate "club" setting where the beer is bought by the club (boosters, alumni, etc.) beforehand and the members are allowed to drink self-served beer that is stored on campus property for the club's convenience, but is not actually purchased and "served" on-site because to do so would violate liquor laws.

I don't know of any athletic department that sells beer for a profit, however. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think having an athletic department that is funded partially from beer profits would necessarily be a recruiting positive.

FargoBison
April 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Selling beer, storing beer and allowing beer are three different things. Many campuses selectively allow (or simply have no rules regarding) beer in the parking areas. Some permit service of beer in a separate "club" setting where the beer is bought by the club (boosters, alumni, etc.) beforehand and the members are allowed to drink self-served beer that is stored on campus property for the club's convenience, but is not actually purchased and "served" on-site because to do so would violate liquor laws.

I don't know of any athletic department that sells beer for a profit, however. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think having an athletic department that is funded partially from beer profits would necessarily be a recruiting positive.

The University of North Dakota does, both football and hockey.

Pretty sure the make a mint off of hockey games, beer is allowed everywhere but the student section.

Bogus Megapardus
April 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
The University of North Dakota does, both football and hockey.

Pretty sure the make a mint off of hockey games, beer is allowed everywhere but the student section.

But do beer sales profits go to fund the athletic department? I always thought that colleges didn't really want that kind of direct connection.

From what I understand UND has an incredible hockey arena.

FargoBison
April 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
But do beer sales profits go to fund the athletic department? I always thought that colleges didn't really want that kind of direct connection.

From what I understand UND has an incredible hockey arena.

I don't know how direct it is, a separate entity controls the arena but there is no doubt all that money works its way back in some form.

Silenoz
April 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Plus drinking in moderation, or not drinking and driving is not the U's responsibility. UM likes money, people like beer, I don't get why they don't just slightly expand the consumption zone on Saturdays

kperk014
April 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
No but drinking it will.

JALMOND
April 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
PGE Park, PSU home football facility, is owned by the City of Portland and therefore beer sales are permitted. (microbrews, too). This year, even with the move to a high school stadium, PSU is talking about having a beer garden. Where, I haven't figured that out yet.

NoCoDanny
April 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
We've always sold it and we suck so question answered.

ngineer
April 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I believe NCAA regulations require the limitation of alcohol sales to such limited areas such as club boxes, etc. The allow sale to general population that contains tons of underage people would raise major problems.

FargoBison
April 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
I believe NCAA regulations require the limitation of alcohol sales to such limited areas such as club boxes, etc. The allow sale to general population that contains tons of underage people would raise major problems.

That only goes for NCAA tournaments.

LacesOut
April 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
We've always sold it and we suck so question answered.

LOLOLOLOLOL

I guess it could help a program.

But personally, whenever I do happen to attend a Delaware game, I use the actual game as my 'no beer' time. Beer before, beer after, but no beer during.

JALMOND
April 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM

PGE Park allows the sale of alcohol anywhere. I've been told that they can do it as it is a city owned stadium, not on campus and not owned by PSU. I've been able to enjoy a Widmer while watching the Vikings for many years now (lately the beer was more enjoyable than the game).

NoCoDanny
April 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Our stadium is on campus, university owed and beer taps are in every consession stand and carried by vendors... it still doesn't drown away the sorrow though... we need heavy narcotics for that.

ngineer
April 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM
That only goes for NCAA tournaments.
Thanks for the clarification ...wow...of course that won't happen at any of the PL schools, although there was a ton of drinking when I was in school in the early '70's...xrolleyesx

LakesBison
April 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
NDSU is a dry campus but the FARGODOME is off campus and BEER would be allowed in a heartbeat if the president says "YES", (thats from the Fargodome GM!)

tailgating is crazy drunkiness, so I say, you might as well PROFIT in the dome!
even if only 25% of the 20,000 drink and buy 4 beers at $8. thats $160,000!

Go Poly
April 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=slostang;1516394]Cal Poly does allow drinking in one of the tailgate areas if you pay the $20.00 for the right .....QUOTE]

Actually last year they reduced the fee to $10 dollars for a spot in the lot. Probably because turnout was disappointing the year before at $20.

Shellin
April 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Not really FCS related, but Washington State has taken a fairly humorous (to me at least) approach to this. I don't recall offhand if it is the state of Washington or the Pac-10 that implemented the rule, but either way we're not allowed to sell alcohol at the concessions inside Martin Stadium. To circumvent this with our new renovation project, where there will be alcohol available in the new "Cougar Lounge" area that they are adding, there will not be an entrance to the new seating area actually inside the stadium, one will have to go outside the actual "stadium" itself and into the lounge area. The new entrance will be placed directly next to the main gate area of the stadium.

ChooChoo
April 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
The Georgia Dome WILL have beer and other alcoholic beverages available to purchase on game days when Georgia State takes the field this fall. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Go...gate
April 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure Colgate has ever sold beer at their games - at least the last fifty years.

Of course, this never prevented loyal Colgate sons (and later, daughters) from bringing other refreshing adult beverages to games.... : )

Rekdiver
April 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
accessibility of Beer and other libation has never been a problem in Boone. Doesn't matter if they sell it in the stadium or not...........

F'N Hawks
April 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
As has been stated before, North Dakota serves beer at all games. They also sell some of the fruity drinks like Mikes Lemondade, etc. BUT, to be fair, you can only buy 2 at a time!

I am not sure if this helps/hurts attendance since we have always had it. I would think it helps because I know of people who come just to have something to watch while drinking. It’s a nice start to the day. Plus, I could not imagine tailgating all morning and then going into a game with no alcohol and having the buzzkill set in……ugggghh. What a downer. :(