PDA

View Full Version : Portland State spring football preview

JALMOND
March 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM
PSU spring football begins April 5. Spring game is May 8 at Hillsboro Stadium.

Preview is in pdf format...

www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/68335.pdf?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204918907&temp_site=NO&SPID=11189&DB_OEM_ID=19300&SPSID=92391

If that link doesn't work, go to the main PSU athletics page (www.goviks.com) and tab to the spring football page.

Hubel will not participate in spring ball due to offseason knee surgery. Howland will probably be given an additional year of eligibility. All home games will be played in Hillsboro. FieldTurf has been installed there, the same surface as PGE Park. Capacity is listed as 7825.

ncbears
March 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Why isn't that Kavana kid going to start at QB? He did pretty well against UNC this year.

doolittledog
March 31st, 2010, 02:22 AM
PGE Park will be one of the nicest FCS facilities in the nation once that renovation is complete. It will be interesting how that might translate into recruiting at that time.

I Bleed Purple
March 31st, 2010, 02:23 AM
PGE Park will be one of the nicest FCS facilities in the nation once that renovation is complete. It will be interesting how that might translate into recruiting at that time.

Won't it still be a baseball field, though?

And Jal, do you have links to pics of the place PSU is playing at this year?

doolittledog
March 31st, 2010, 07:22 AM
No, this is the last year for baseball at PGE. After this summer PGE will be football/futbol only. Here are some pictures of how they will add seats to the former outfield area.

http://www.portlandonline.com/BDS/index.cfm?c=51861&a=284312

JALMOND
April 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Won't it still be a baseball field, though?

And Jal, do you have links to pics of the place PSU is playing at this year?

Here's some pictures of Hillsboro Stadium...

www.ci.hillsboro.or.us/Parksrec/ParksFacilities/SportsFacilities.aspx

After this year, PGE Park will be a soccer stadium with more seats in what is now the baseball outfield. I can't really buy into the whole Portland soccer scene, but I'm thinking this renovation will probably be great for PSU football.

Hillsboro Stadium is shared by two Hillsboro high schools for both football and soccer. It is the cornerstone of a softball complex owned by the city of Hillsboro. Sounds like PSU may offer some type of shuttle service from campus on gamedays. Myself, I only live 10-15 mins from Hillsboro Stadium, so I will not be using the shuttle.

Hillsboro Stadium is actually one of the better high school football venues in the state. It has hosted many of the lower division football championships in recent years. We played out there back in 2000 I believe and most games there was no problem. Only game that it seemed was pretty crowded was the Montana game, but that is typical (**** Griz fans can't stay home during away games :D).

I Bleed Purple
April 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Do you think temporary seating will be added for football?

Or do you think it won't be necessary?

JALMOND
April 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Do you think temporary seating will be added for football?

Or do you think it won't be necessary?

I think they will need to in order to get to their figure of 7825 capacity.

Just installed this year was FieldTurf, the same surface that is at PGE Park. The son was part of his high school homecoming court last year. I can remember walking out on the old field and it felt like walking on a big sponge. I'm thinking FieldTurf is better.

doolittledog
April 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Here are some newer pics of what the renovated PGE Park will look like.

http://www.portlandonline.com/BDS/index.cfm?c=51861&a=296208

Definately an improvement over the old design of basically having one whole sideline empty. This will be a very nice FCS stadium. As will the stadium going up in Houston that will be shared by the Houston MLS team and TSU.

Grizzaholic
April 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Great looking park!