PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and College football: I-AA potential?

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
If any of you use iTunes, check out the TV shows section now. (FYI - iTunes now sells videos for iPods if you did not know).

They are selling 15-18 minute long 'condensed' game highlights of the Fiesta and Sugar bowl for $1.99. If you're a fan of these programs, especially if they won, I can see shelling out less than 2 bucks for this momento.

Now, I seem to remember the UC Davis upset of Stanford getting done as a video. Why can't that kind of 15 minute game highlight be turned into a money making scheme through iTunes? At the very least, we should try and get the I-AA playoffs done for next season. How awesome would that be - and we might be able to tie it to the bigger I-A market and win some fans over. I know I'm dreaming, but I think there is some long range potential there.

kardplayer
January 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
If any of you use iTunes, check out the TV shows section now. (FYI - iTunes now sells videos for iPods if you did not know).

They are selling 15-18 minute long 'condensed' game highlights of the Fiesta and Sugar bowl for $1.99. If you're a fan of these programs, especially if they won, I can see shelling out less than 2 bucks for this momento.

Now, I seem to remember the UC Davis upset of Stanford getting done as a video. Why can't that kind of 15 minute game highlight be turned into a money making scheme through iTunes? At the very least, we should try and get the I-AA playoffs done for next season. How awesome would that be - and we might be able to tie it to the bigger I-A market and win some fans over. I know I'm dreaming, but I think there is some long range potential there.

For our teams, I think this would work best on a subscription basis, ala CSTV's and Yahoo's live streaming. It could be something like $5/month for 1 team, $10/month for all of I-AA. I think once people go for the first $5, the second $5 is a no-brainer...

igo4uni
January 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
I love itunes and visit the site frequently. I don't have the video ipod (yet) but have followed the availability of video on the ipod with great interest.

Some of the podcasts are free downloads. I don't see why someone couldn't put together some video highlights and post them for others to download. I don't have that kind of technical computer skills, but I know that many others do.

I think it would be really cool.

kardplayer
January 4th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I love itunes and visit the site frequently. I don't have the video ipod (yet) but have followed the availability of video on the ipod with great interest.

Some of the podcasts are free downloads. I don't see why someone couldn't put together some video highlights and post them for others to download. I don't have that kind of technical computer skills, but I know that many others do.

I think it would be really cool.

They couldn't do that because of the whole, "The pictures and sounds of this event cannot be rebroadcast without the expressed written consent of ...", disclaimer that comes with every event. It would be interesting to note whether broadcasting it for free over the internet waives that right...

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2006, 12:33 AM
They couldn't do that because of the whole, "The pictures and sounds of this event cannot be rebroadcast without the expressed written consent of ...", disclaimer that comes with every event. It would be interesting to note whether broadcasting it for free over the internet waives that right...

I happen to take that pretty seriously. When I audioblog from a game, I take very special care to not do live commentary as its happening - I only do a summary of the action so far. So, I'd say that internet broadcasting is subject to the same rules as if you were broadcasting it over your own radio frequency.

I'd imagine that getting the written consent to rebroadcast shouldn't be too difficult, though. Guess it would depend on the school. A well-placed email to the SID should get that rolling, I would think.