PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Releases 2010 Schedule

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
A lot of confusion this past week, but it now appears Georgetown has dropped its game with NDSU and will take Davidson instead.

09/04: at Davidson
09/11: at Lafayette
09/18: at Yale
09/25: HOLY CROSS (Homecoming)
10/02: at Colgate
10/09: WAGNER
10/16: BUCKNELL
10/23: at Sacred Heart
10/30: at Fordham
11/06: Open
11/13: LEHIGH
11/20: MARIST

Quick analysis: a much weaker schedule than in 2009, and no opponents within three hours of campus.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Bogus Megapardus
March 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Five home games nicely spread out, 4-5 demonstrably winnable contests, a game in the Yale Bowl and bye to prepare for Lehigh. I can't believe you're still unsatisfied, DFW.

Suggestion: send a van with the equipment and have the players/staff take the train to New Haven for an atypically pleasant trip.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Five home games nicely spread out, 4-5 demonstrably winnable contests, a game in the Yale Bowl and bye to prepare for Lehigh. I can't believe you're still unsatisfied, DFW.

In a word, yessssssss.

Bogus Megapardus
March 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
In a word, yessssssss.

OK, then. If you build it, they will come . . . . .

ngineer
March 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Schedule may be weaker, but at this stage, Hoyas need to build confidence, and you don't do that by getting your head handed to you every week. I see 5 very winnable games on this schedule, and don't like the 'bye' week before we come to town.;)

Go...gate
March 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Definitely see this as a more realistic schedule. Now if GU can get the facilities further completed and some moderate financial commitment, it will be good for the whole conference.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Schedule may be weaker, but at this stage, Hoyas need to build confidence, and you don't do that by getting your head handed to you every week. I see 5 very winnable games on this schedule, and don't like the 'bye' week before we come to town.;)

Sunken logs are not stepping stones. When Wagner and Sacred Heart are now your "play-up" games in non-conference play, that does not speak well for a team approaching it's 10th year in PL play and sends the wrong message to recruits.

Notwithstanding, this could be another poor season, and going 2-9 instead of 0-11 is not going to win any favors.

danefan
March 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I see another indication of OOC affiliations with teams that some Hoyas fans don't want anything to do with. xcoffeex

Did G'town really decide to play Davidson over NDSU?

Monarch Nation
March 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I'm sorry that the G'Town-ODU game was cancelled. I was looking forward to that series.

CFBfan
March 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Sunken logs are not stepping stones. When Wagner and Sacred Heart are now your "play-up" games in non-conference play, that does not speak well for a team approaching it's 10th year in PL play and sends the wrong message to recruits.

Notwithstanding, this could be another poor season, and going 2-9 instead of 0-11 is not going to win any favors.

Unfortunetly this is the direction the schedule needs to go for GU to try and climb out of the huge hole they've dug the program into. Now if this isn't AT LEAST a 5 win season they decline continues.

Also: is there any way a 5 or 6 win season saves this coaching staff???

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately this is the direction the schedule needs to go for GU to try and climb out of the huge hole they've dug the program into. Now if this isn't AT LEAST a 5 win season they decline continues.

Also: is there any way a 5 or 6 win season saves this coaching staff???

I agree. Trade Sacred Heart and Wagner for, say, Columbia and Towson (or even Delaware and Penn if you want to stretch) and it would be just fine. So it's really only two games between a weak schedule and a reasonable one.

The coaching staff would survive a six win season perhaps. Who will the Hoyas beat to get there?

MplsBison
March 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
****, no NDSU.

We need another game.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I agree. Trade Sacred Heart and Wagner for, say, Columbia and Towson (or even Delaware and Penn if you want to stretch) and it would be just fine. So it's really only two games between a weak schedule and a reasonable one.

The coaching staff would survive a six win season perhaps. Who will the Hoyas beat to get there?

Columbia would be a downgrade from Sacred Heart or Wagner.

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Not if you have a Georgetown applicant's or alumnus's sensibilities.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Not if you have a Georgetown applicant's or alumnus's sensibilities.

What gives you impression that Georgetown gives a crap about what its applicants and/or alumnus think about its football program?

Could it be this?

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/georgetown-hoyas-multi-sport-facility/georgetown2.jpg

aceinthehole
March 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Weak schedule? xcoffeex

If the Hoyas can't beat NEC teams, what makes you think they can beat a CAA team like Towson?

G-Town (as a PL member) is 1-2 vs. NEC teams. I wouldn't be suprised if the are 1-4 vs the NEC by the end of the 2010 season.

CFBfan
March 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM

I think most people "associated" with GU would disagree and more OOC games with Ivies would be a good thing.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Wagner and Sacred Heart are decent mid-range teams in the NEC. A win over one or both would be a huge shot in the arm for Georgetown and get them pointed in the right direction. A trip to Fargo ending in a blowout would not, period.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Wagner and Sacred Heart are decent mid-range teams in the NEC. A win over one or both would be a huge shot in the arm for Georgetown and get them pointed in the right direction. A trip to Fargo ending in a blowout would not, period.

A trip to NDSU (blowout or not) would do a great deal better for G'town in the long-run recruiting wise than a win over any NEC team.

But the Patriot league long-term goal is just stay in line with the Ivy's right?

CFBfan
March 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM
A trip to NDSU (blowout or not) would do a great deal better for G'town in the long-run recruiting wise than a win over any NEC team.

But the Patriot league long-term goal is just stay in line with the Ivy's right?

you need wins to help recruiting.....wins over any team NOT blow out losses against good teams. C'mon that's just common sense!!
recruiting after one 0 - 11 season is bad but after 2 disaster BUT becasue one of the losses was against NDSU....NO WAY

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Exactly. Stick with the existing schedule until the Hoyas are reasonably competitive. Then it's only a two game adjustment to have a slate that "most people associated with GU" can digest without unreasonable discomfort.

At present, I am not terribly sanguine about the Hoya's prospects for success against either the Seahawks or the Pioneers. But they're not going to get Columbia or Penn without some decent NEC showings.

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM

In a word, yes. That's what the Patriot League was created for. It's written right into the charter.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
you need wins to help recruiting.....wins over any team NOT blow out losses against good teams. C'mon that's just common sense!!
recruiting after one 0 - 11 season is bad but after 2 disaster BUT becasue one of the losses was against NDSU....NO WAY

Its not common sense. Albany has built a very good program based on recruiting advantages gained by playing anyone, anywhere, anytime. The on-field experience against better opponents OOC then in-conference helps tremendously with in-league success also. The speed of the game will be tremendously faster a place like NDSU. It will slow down the PL game and that will help get PL wins!

Georgetown isn't scheduling sure-wins in place of NDSU. They're scheudling teams that they'll still have trouble beating.

Sounds to me like the culture of losing at Georgetown has made everyone so desperate for short-term wins that long-term recruiting goals are being thrown out the window.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
In a word, yes. That's what the Patriot League was created for. It's written right into the charter.

Then I can't disagree with your sentiments.

At what point does the PL remove itself from the playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Its not common sense. Albany has built a very good program based on recruiting advantages gained by playing anyone, anywhere, anytime. The on-field experience against better opponents OOC then in-conference helps tremendously with in-league success also. The speed of the game will be tremendously faster a place like NDSU. It will slow down the PL game and that will help get PL wins!

Hats off to Albany for having a good program. But what works at Albany won't necessarily work at, say, Georgetown or Dartmouth.

Georgetown isn't scheduling sure-wins in place of NDSU. They're scheudling teams that they'll still have trouble beating.

Sounds to me like the culture of losing at Georgetown has made everyone so desperate for short-term wins that long-term recruiting goals are being thrown out the window.

I've seen Georgetown, and they need wins more than anything right now.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hats off to Albany for having a good program. But what works at Albany won't necessarily work at, say, Georgetown or Dartmouth.

That is true.

I've seen Georgetown, and they need wins more than anything right now.

Maybe they try using their OOC schedule to set them up to win some PL games?

Stronger OOC schedules help you prepare for the weaker in-conference games.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I believe in the philosophy that a team should schedule the hardest OOC games available to prepare themselves for the league season and to help recruiting.

Model Citizen
March 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
It's written right into the charter.

Can you quote what it says?

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Can you quote what it says?

"Thou shall emulate the Ivy league in every facet possible. When in doubt make the decision process as long as possible and hope people forget what we were debating in the first place. "

I believe it has a few kew points that make the PL more like the Ivy league than every other D-I conference.

1.) Presidents have ultimate control over athletics-- not the AD's not the conference comissioner.

2.) League wide AI standards that league members must conform too.

3.) Need based financial aid for athletes.

The last piece has been removed long ago for all sports but football. Also the Pl wont be leaving the FCS playoffs anytime soon. When the PL first started member schools were not allowed to compete in the post season either. That left Holy Cross teams in the late 80's ranked in the top 5 with a Heisman Trophy canidate sitting at home. They would have ripped stuff up in the I-AA playoffs those years but didnt get a chance. I believe we entered the playoffs in 1996 and we were all extremely happy to be there. With the expanded playoffs PL teams will have a better chance to get some wins as we wont be matched up against the best team in the CAA every year in the first round. The PL will compete in the post season for many years to come.

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Seriously?

Sacred Heart got blasted by Marist and Holy Cross and Wagner is improving but still not great. Wagner plays Cornell this year so we will see how an Ivy cellar dwellar matches up against a mid-level NEC.

Columbia isnt great, but I think those teams are pretty even with Columbia.

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Seriously?

Sacred Heart got blasted by Marist and Holy Cross and Wagner is improving but still not great. Wagner plays Cornell this year so we will see how an Ivy cellar dwellar matches up against a mid-level NEC.

Columbia isnt great, but I think those teams are pretty even with Columbia.

I'll call it even with Sacred Heart and Columbia, but considering Wagner beat CCSU and Columbia didn't, I think Wagner would do at least the same thing to Columbia that CCSU did last year (9pt win).

Wagner with Nick Doscher at QB is not the Wagner of old.

ngineer
March 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'll call it even with Sacred Heart and Columbia, but considering Wagner beat CCSU and Columbia didn't, I think Wagner would do at least the same thing to Columbia that CCSU did last year (9pt win).

May have been confused with Robert Wagner...xsmiley_wix

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
May have been confused with Robert Wagner...xsmiley_wix

xlolxxlolx

More like this version

http://vocaro.com/trevor/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/dvd-playerscreensnapz003.png

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM

I still dont think Wagner is very good. I believe they lost to Stonehill last year which is in the worst D-II conference in the country. They beat CCSU and its hard to argue with your comparison logic.

If Wagner beats Cornell next year I will have more respect for them and fully agree with your point.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
If Wagner beats Cornell next year I will have more respect for them and fully agree with your point.

Um, I wouldn't be so quick to judge a win over the Big Red in football as a benchmark for great success. Cornell was terrible last year, and I don't think that ship will be turned around in a year. xtwocentsx

danefan
March 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I still dont think Wagner is very good. I believe they lost to Stonehill last year which is in the worst D-II conference in the country. They beat CCSU and its hard to argue with your comparison logic.

I can't really argue with your hesitation based on that Stonehill game.

I think Wagner is still trying to figure out how that happened themselves.xlolxxlolx

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Wagner and Sacred Heart are decent mid-range teams in the NEC. A win over one or both would be a huge shot in the arm for Georgetown and get them pointed in the right direction.

If that's what a tenth year in the PL has led to, that beating Sacred Heart is a "shot in the arm", wow.

What will get Georgetown pointed in the right direction is leadership--leadership on the field, in the weight room, on the recruiting trail and, yes, on the scheduling front. If GU is going to be shut out of the Leh/Laf/Colgate Ivy scheduling club, well, fine, but it has to do better than picking up schools like this, which won't draw fans, which won't interest recruits, and which will elicit derision if GU loses to them--not an inconceivable suggestion for a team which has won one game outside D.C. since 2006.

So what's worse, losing to Old Dominion by 31 or losing to Sacred Heart by 17?

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Um, I wouldn't be so quick to judge a win over the Big Red in football as a benchmark for great success. Cornell was terrible last year, and I don't think that ship will be turned around in a year. xtwocentsx

I agree Cornell isnt very good, but they are probably on par with Columbia. Wagner wont be exaulted as Ivy killer, but I will believe they are as good as the bottom tier of the Ivies.

aceinthehole
March 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I disagree - it would be a benchmark for the NEC.

Columbia was considered a legitimate Ivy contender early last year, then the CCSU win became history - it was the NEC's first Ivy scalp. CCSU won the NEC and Columbia had a disapointing year, so you could conclude that it was just the better team winning a game and not any barometer of the 2 leagues.

IF and it's a big IF, 2 "bottom tier" NEC teams in Sacred Heart and Wagner both beat G-Town and win their respective Ivy games vs Dartmouth and Cornell - then what does that say? I would say its a benchmark.

I have no problem saying G-town and Cornell/Dartmouth are poor represenatives of the quality of their leagues - but if they are beat by equally poor representaives of the NEC, I think the PL/Ivy has a lot more questions to answer.

Let's face the facts - G-town, Cornell, and Dartmouth all went shopping for wins by scheduling games vs SHU and Wagner. If the PL/Ivy win their games, then their strategy pays off. But if they loose, there is nowhere else to go and find wins. That is the downside to this scheduling strategy.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I disagree - it would be a benchmark for the NEC.

Columbia was considered a legitimate Ivy contender early last year, then the CCSU win became history - it was the NEC's first Ivy scalp. CCSU won the NEC and Columbia had a disapointing year, so you could conclude that it was just the better team winning a game and not any barometer of the 2 leagues.

IF and it's a big IF, 2 "bottom tier" NEC teams in Sacred Heart and Wagner both beat G-Town and win their respective Ivy games vs Dartmouth and Cornell - then what does that say? I would say its a benchmark.

I have no problem saying G-town and Cornell/Dartmouth are poor represenatives of the quality of their leagues - but if they are beat by equally poor representaives of the NEC, I think the PL/Ivy has a lot more questions to answer.

Let's face the facts - G-town, Cornell, and Dartmouth all went shopping for wins by scheduling games vs SHU and Wagner. If the PL/Ivy win their games, then their strategy pays off. But if they loose, there is nowhere else to go and find wins. That is the downside to this scheduling strategy.

Sure there is, the PFL.

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I think the PL/Ivy has a lot more questions to answer.

What are the questions, and to whom are the answers owed?

UAalum72
March 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Sure there is, the PFL.
Waiting for Detroit Flyer re San Diego over Yale...