PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play Syracuse?

Keeper
March 22nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
The Orange are the only FBS team without a 12th opponent for 2010.
Openings are Sept 25th and Oct 2nd. Maine is scheduled on Sept 18th.
Will have to be a 2nd FCS team unless another FBS team opts out of FCS game.

The candidates:
NC Central - 11th game available, open Oct 2
Morgan St - 11th game available, would have to move Howard on sept 25
......recently played Rutgers
South Dakota St - 11th game available, could move UNI from Oct 2 to Sept 4,
......there were earlier rumours of scheduling a "team from the east" (and would
the Rabbits due a back to back FBS after Nebraska?)
SE Missouri, Tenn Tech, North Dakota can schedule another but no corresponding
open dates unless a game is moved or opted out
Bucknell has some openings but not likely.
Fordham has Assumption on Sept 25, not likely to change, but Fordham-Syracuse
would be cool.

danefan
March 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Could get interesting actually since it'll be their second FCS team, the counter status of that team won't matter.

Could we see a Patriot League or an NEC team? Holy Cross has an opening on Oct. 2nd I beleive. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an NEC or PL team drop another OOC game to play Syracuse. It would be a money-maker for sure.

nwFL Griz
March 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
The Orange are the only FBS team without a 12th opponent for 2010.

Edit: nevermind.

DFW HOYA
March 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Could we see a Patriot League or an NEC team? Holy Cross has an opening on Oct. 2nd I beleive. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an NEC or PL team drop another OOC game to play Syracuse. It would be a money-maker for sure.

How could you not make money on a Georgetown-Syracuse game--the Orangebloods wouldn't miss it! Losing 56-7 at Syracuse still gathers a lot more interest (and guarantee money) than any game with Bucknell or Davidson. Of course, it won't happen, since GU can't even get Villanova for a game.

Kemo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
South Dakota St - 11th game available, could move UNI from Oct 2 to Sept 4,
......there were earlier rumors of scheduling a "team from the east" (and would
the Rabbits due a back to back FBS after Nebraska?)

If this scenario were to play out, this is what SDSU's schedule would look like:

9/4 @UNI
9/11 @ Delaware
9/18 Illinois St
9/25 @ Nebraska
10/2 @ Syracuse
10/9 Western Illinois
10/16 @ Southern Illinois
10/23 Youngstown
10/30 @ Indiana St
11/6 Missouri St
11/13 @ NDSU

4 home games, 7 road games, 2 BCS opponents!

"Brutal" would be an understatement to describe this schedule... heck, Syracuse might be the weakest opponent out of the first 5 games!

UNHWildCats
March 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
The options for South Dakota State are very limited. A quick run through of schedules as of this moment leaves less than a dozen schools looking for games on SDSU current open dates.

colorless raider
March 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Colgate is Syracuse's traditional rival. Go 'Gate sign up the 'Cuse.

Bogus Megapardus
March 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Colgate is Syracuse's traditional rival. Go 'Gate sign up the 'Cuse.

I was thinking the same thing. That's a game I'd like to see.

colorless raider
March 23rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I am still amazed at the 'pards progress in lacrosse:D

Redbird Ray
March 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
South Dakota State could beat Syracuse. Get after it bunnies.

xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I think Fordham would be a logical choice, IMO.

headdressguy
March 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'm not entirely convinced the counter status is irrelevant. Syracuse isn't exactly an FBS elite anymore, and Maine should be a solid squad. They could conceivably lose the Maine game, in which case having the second FCS game be a non-counter would cost them a win for bowl eligibility.

We saw this with Duke last year. Had two FCS games (loss to Richmond, win over NC Central). They wound up missing bowl eligibility by a game anyway, but can you imagine the furor if they lost a bowl bid because they gave away a potential win by playing a non-counter?

danefan
March 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'm not entirely convinced the counter status is irrelevant. Syracuse isn't exactly an FBS elite anymore, and Maine should be a solid squad. They could conceivably lose the Maine game, in which case having the second FCS game be a non-counter would cost them a win for bowl eligibility.

We saw this with Duke last year. Had two FCS games (loss to Richmond, win over NC Central). They wound up missing bowl eligibility by a game anyway, but can you imagine the furor if they lost a bowl bid because they gave away a potential win by playing a non-counter?

While I agree that Maine is a solid team, there is not a chance in hell that Syracuse is sitting around even worrying about losing to Maine.

headdressguy
March 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
While I agree that Maine is a solid team, there is not a chance in hell that Syracuse is sitting around even worrying about losing to Maine.

Yeah, Marrone seems to have them pointed in the right direction. Do they have a QB though?

And they might not be scared of losing to Maine, but it scheduling a non-counter seems to be a completely unnecessary risk to take. When it's been six years since your last bowl game, it's not a great idea to take things for granted.

Or maybe I'm just scarred from following Rutgers for way too long.

Wildcat80
March 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM
New Hampshire has been trying to get them on our schedule for years!! Of course the best time to get an easy upset has passed. Hope the Black Bears get it though!xsmileyclapx

C-Mo
March 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM
We accept. :)

another reason the PL must go the scholie route.