PDA

View Full Version : Slostang Knows Money!

DG Cowboy
March 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Slostang is right. McNeese plays Missou for $310,000 and LSU for $400,000. I was a little low. The LSU money is really good for a bus trip. We appreciate the Tigers giving us some dough, rather than sending it to Boone! :D

Ronbo
March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Combine those two payouts and that's about what the Griz make on a 1 home game with Western State at $31 per ticket. And yet there are still many wondering why we don't schedule an FBS school for our first game.;)

slostang
March 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Combine those two payouts and that's about what the Griz make on a 1 home game with Western State at $31 per ticket. And yet there are still many wondering why we don't schedule an FBS school for our first game.;)

Ronbo, must you tell everyone how great Montana is on every thread?

What would you as a fan want to watch more, a home game against Western State or one game against a Pac-10 team? I know which will pay UM more, but wouldn't you rather as a fan see Montana step up every now and then. You do not have to do it every year, but doesn't Montana owe their fans more? Also if they make so much, why can they not afford to bring in better teams than Western State?

I know I never been so excited as a Cal Poly fan as sitting in Camp Randal in the 4th quarter watching my Mustangs beating the Badgers. Yes we lost, but I would much rather do that again then play Humbolt State this year. You can bet your @ss that I am more excited about the game against Fresno State this year than I am about a home game against Humbolt State (thank you very much Idaho State).

T-Dog
March 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thing is for App, it isn't about the money playing FBS teams. Compared to other payouts, App's a bargain. It's more about the competition, which is why App has scheduled James Madison, McNeese and Montana to home-and-home series in recent years and has had serious talks with Northern Iowa among others.

If it were all about the money, App would NEVER schedule those teams as games against D2 teams like Mars Hill and Lenoir-Rhyne doesn't decrease attendance. In fact in 2006, when App played JMU and then Mars Hill, Mars Hill has the higher attendance in the same weather conditions.

slostang
March 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thing is for App, it isn't about the money playing FBS teams. Compared to other payouts, App's a bargain. It's more about the competition, which is why App has scheduled James Madison, McNeese and Montana to home-and-home in recent years.

If it were all about the money, App would NEVER schedule those teams as games against D2 teams like Mars Hill and Lenoir-Rhyne doesn't decrease attendance. In fact in 2006, when App played JMU and then Mars Hill, Mars Hill has the higher attendance in the same weather conditions.

That is exactly my point.

Ronbo
March 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Ronbo, must you tell everyone how great Montana is on every thread?

What would you as a fan want to watch more, a home game against Western State or one game against a Pac-10 team? I know which will pay UM more, but wouldn't you rather as a fan see Montana step up every now and then. You do not have to do it every year, but doesn't Montana owe their fans more? Also if they make so much, why can they not afford to bring in better teams than Western State?

I know I never been so excited as a Cal Poly fan as sitting in Camp Randal in the 4th quarter watching my Mustangs beating the Badgers. Yes we lost, but I would much rather do that again then play Humbolt State this year. You can bet your @ss that I am more excited about the game against Fresno State this year than I am about a home game against Humbolt State (thank you very much Idaho State).

Everyone quit putting us down all the time and I will quit touting the home field success. Deal? I'm sick and frackin tired of hearing we duck the FBS all the time. They pay us $800,000 and we'll play. Otherwise why in the world would we?

putter
March 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
That is exactly my point.

Welcome to Montana politics. Money is drying up and our admin see the football team as the univesity whore to justify having any athletic programs..to them it is NOT about competition, it's about dollar signs.

T-Dog
March 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons Montana agreed to play App and McNeese is so that they could jack up ticket prices for those games to $50 and make a killing.

AppIAA
March 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Otherwise why in the world would we?

To face some good competition so you don't fail in the championship year in, year out ;)

Just kidding, but really, as a fan, would you rather see you guys play Western State or Oregon State? Putting all money aside, you can't honestly say you would rather watch Western State.. I think we all understand the reason behind not doing it (I mean, hell, the strategy has worked the past 2 seasons). I just think, if I were a fan of Montana, I would want my team to play some better competition occasionally -- even once every three years would suffice.

DG Cowboy
March 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I wonder how it would affect Montana recruiting to schedule one decent FBS a year and win the game 3 out of 5 years? Would that also turn a $31 ticket into a desired $34 ticket from the prestige? I don't know. Everyone does what they have to do to survive and/or thrive.

McNeese75
March 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM

Probably more wondering why you still have budget problems since you make such a killing every home game xscanx

And, you will never quit catching S$#t from everyone on here about not playing an occasional FBS and keeping the D2 teams on your schedule.

Syntax Error
March 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Everyone quit putting us down all the time and I will quit touting the home field success. Deal? I'm sick and frackin tired of hearing we duck the FBS all the time.

Um, did this thread have anything at all to do with Montana until you posted? xcoffeex

slostang
March 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Um, did this thread have anything at all to do with Montana until you posted? xcoffeex

Exactly.

EastCoast
March 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
For Montana, scheduling is a combination of:

Money/budget (i.e. making terrific money with a D-II game, or high-paying I-A game);

Home games for the businesses in the community and the fans;

Good competition (for the fans); and

An easier early game (for the team to develop depth and work out the kinks).

In the past 10 years, in regular season, Montana has played 7 zI-A games; Cal Poly 7 times; Hofstra 3 times; Maine 2 times; Sam Houston St 2 times; No Dak St once; South Dak St 2 times; Davis 2 times; and Albany 2 times--as well as So Utah several times.

AZGrizFan
March 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM
To face some good competition so you don't fail in the championship year in, year out ;)

Just kidding, but really, as a fan, would you rather see you guys play Western State or Oregon State? Putting all money aside, you can't honestly say you would rather watch Western State.. I think we all understand the reason behind not doing it (I mean, hell, the strategy has worked the past 2 seasons). I just think, if I were a fan of Montana, I would want my team to play some better competition occasionally -- even once every three years would suffice.

I don't think you'll find a FAN around who doesn't want better competition on the schedule. However, you can't just simply put "all money aside". Especially in the current economic environment. I'd love to have big time FCS schools on the agenda every year, and it looks like we may be moving in that direction over the coming years but that doesn't change the fact that it's a money game. Period.

AZGrizFan
March 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Probably more wondering why you still have budget problems since you make such a killing every home game xscanx

And, you will never quit catching S$#t from everyone on here about not playing an occasional FBS and keeping the D2 teams on your schedule.

Then, in return, you will never quit hearing about our home game successes. xsmiley_wix