PDA

View Full Version : Harvard comes to Boone

Rekdiver
March 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Even though its basketball, I bet these Ivy leaguers are watching reruns of Deliverance right now.........I just couldn't resist putting it on the forum....

Bogus Megapardus
March 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Even though its basketball, I bet these Ivy leaguers are watching reruns of Deliverance right now.........I just couldn't resist putting it on the forum....

If the Ivies would simply participate in the FCS playoffs, the Crimson could play football there as well. But the Ivies are - how shall I put this - "reluctant" to that notion.

Rekdiver
March 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
And that is a shame, and I am serious. They let their teams play in the Big Dance, why not the FCS?

BarefootApp
March 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I spent time at Harvard and ASU....I'll take Appalachian. (Let's stick to football).

appsfan
March 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ok Crimson fans, is it hypocritical to allow post-season BB participation while not allowing not post-season FB?

Bogus Megapardus
March 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Ok Crimson fans, is it hypocritical to allow post-season BB participation while not allowing not post-season FB?

This topic has been discussed to death on various Ivy and Patriot boards. Bottom line is (1) the league is not a democracy so fans, students, athletes and coaches don't get to vote in the matter, (2) it might seem unfair but the league has no obligation of fairness to anyone, (3) Harvard is the boss, Yale and Princeton are the consigliere, and they call the shots, and (4) it's not happening in out lifetimes.

BarefootApp
March 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
snap.

Bogus Megapardus
March 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
snap.

The PL had the same rule until about a decade ago. It was changed, and lo and behold, Lafayette got to play App State. We didn't win but we certainly held our own. We play Harvard all the time; Harvard usually wins but we hold our own there, too. So I think Harvard and App State would be a fantastic match-up.

Wildcat80
March 16th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Is this for real? or just wisful thinking? clue us in.

AppIAA
March 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Basketball game on Wednesday..

Wildcat80
March 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
okay found it. did not know this existed.....and yes it sure seems the Ivy is being hypocritical about football playoffs!!??

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/2010_press.html

Rekdiver
March 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I wonder if they allow post season participation in sailing and rowing? I hope a bunch of their students come to the game... and I hope a bunch of ours show up for a change.

UAalum72
March 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I wonder if they allow post season participation in sailing and rowing? I hope a bunch of their students come to the game... and I hope a bunch of ours show up for a change.
In an odd parallel to football, Wikipedia says of the IRA championships "Two important crews, Harvard and Yale, however, did not participate in the heavyweight divisions of the event. (After losing to Cornell in 1897, Harvard and Yale chose to avoid the IRA, so as not to diminish the Harvard-Yale Regatta (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/wiki/Harvard-Yale_Regatta). It soon became part of each school's tradition not to go).... In 2003, after an absence of over one hundred years, Harvard and Yale decided to participate."

So I guess they 'might' change their stance on football as well.

Brown finished 4th and Harvard 5th in heavyweight 8s at the 2009 IRAs, the first held on the west coast.

Bogus Megapardus
March 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I wonder if they allow post season participation in sailing and rowing?

Ivies participate in lots of playoffs - including Lacrosse and Hockey where they often have multiple schools in the DI championships and which have run smack into spring exams. Notice, for example, who played in the Lacrosse finals last year in front of 40,000 or so in Baltimore.

Again, this had been discussed ad nauseum on various PL and Ivy boards.

AppAlum2003
March 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Ivies participate in lots of playoffs - including Lacrosse and Hockey where they often have multiple schools in the DI championships and which have run smack into spring exams. Notice, for example, who played in the Lacrosse finals last year in front of 40,000 or so in Baltimore.

Again, this had been discussed ad nauseum on various PL and Ivy boards.

BM... you've gotta understand... us non-Ivies are a little slow. It might take 3 - 4 repetitions before things start to click. I mean, we're college-educated, but not REALLY college-educated. :D

Woof
March 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I spent time at Harvard and ASU....

I'm willing to bet that statement is one not often uttered by alumni of either institution.xlolxxlolxxlolx

AppAlum2003
March 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm willing to bet that statement is one not often uttered by alumni of either institution.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Hay! not funne! We gots these new bookses called Scott-Foresmans at ASU. We ar perty much Ivee Leege.

Ivytalk
March 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Looking forward to the game! xhurrayx Harvard's Jeremy Lin is very good.

The Cats
March 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
For any other school, a thread of this type would have been moved to where it belongs.....

xthumbsdownx

Bogus Megapardus
March 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
For any other school, a thread of this type would have been moved to where it belongs.....

So you're saying App State pulls a lot of weight at AGS, then.

AppAlum2003
March 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
So you're saying App State pulls a lot of weight at AGS, then.

Jealousy really is getting him nowhere... :p

Ivytalk
March 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Mods: Move to "Other Sports" please. Thanks!

rcny46
March 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM
This topic has been discussed to death on various Ivy and Patriot boards. Bottom line is (1) the league is not a democracy so fans, students, athletes and coaches don't get to vote in the matter, (2) it might seem unfair but the league has no obligation of fairness to anyone, (3) Harvard is the boss, Yale and Princeton are the consigliere, and they call the shots, and (4) it's not happening in out lifetimes.

But the question as to why post-season participation in all other sports is allowed,but anything beyond the 10 regular season FB games is not,is still out there.

Ivytalk
March 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Well, the Crimson got shellacked last night, 93-71. Congrats to ASU!

Bogus Megapardus
March 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well, the Crimson got shellacked last night, 93-71. Congrats to ASU!

Tommy Amaker had them in rare form earlier in the season. What happened?

Ivytalk
March 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Tommy Amaker had them in rare form earlier in the season. What happened?

Well, they finished 21-8 or something like that. They had only a few really bad games: the first Cornell game and last night come to mind. That might have been a school record for wins in one season.

Rekdiver
March 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I spent time at Harvard and ASU....I'll take Appalachian. (Let's stick to football).

Yeah me too but I was delivering clear liquid to the IL'ers.......

DJOM
March 19th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Ivytalk sorry to see the loss. Princeton still has not changed their fall semester exam schedule. Makes no sense.

Ivytalk
March 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ivytalk sorry to see the loss. Princeton still has not changed their fall semester exam schedule. Makes no sense.

Thanks, DJOM. I hope the Tigers continue to roll through their own tournament schedule! Congrats on the Duquesne win.xthumbsupx

DJOM
March 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Looks like we are heading to Indy to play Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the Quarterfinals. I'm looking forward to spring ball.