PDA

View Full Version : UTSA 2011 SCHEDULE

the kidd
March 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
UTSA took another major step in the construction of its football program, releasing on Friday a first-year schedule featuring an inaugural game against the alma mater of head coach Larry Coker.

Beginning with Northeastern (Okla.) State on Sept. 3, 2011, the fledgling Roadrunners will embark on an eclectic campaign that includes everything from two fellow startup teams to an NAIA school that discontinued its football program for 43 years.

“It is one of the most challenging first-year schedules ever put together,” UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said. “But that’s what coach Coker wanted.”

Hickey said UTSA hopes to play as many as five home games in 2013 against Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) teams as the school nears its intended jump to college football’s top flight as an independent in 2015.

Multiple sources told the Express-News that Baylor has agreed to a three-game series with UTSA. Though the years are unclear, two games will be played in Waco and one at the Alamodome.

“We’re not ready to say much about schedules beyond 2011 and 2012,” Coker said. “But we’re getting good response from FBS schools.”

Several members of UTSA’s first signing class said the pursuit of FBS opponents matches what they were told during the recruiting process.

“I’m excited,” receiver Jake Wanamaker said. “I didn’t pick UTSA to play small-time football.”

But with a startup program that will be composed mostly of freshmen and sophomores, the Roadrunners have to start somewhere.

Led by former Alabama coach Bill Curry, Georgia State will play its first season this fall as a Football Championship Subdivision independent. South Alabama started last year, going 7-0 against an assortment of non-scholarship schools.

McNeese State, Sam Houston State and Northwestern (La.) State are all members of the Southland Conference, with which UTSA is affiliated in 16 Division I sports. The Roadrunners had considered joining the league in football before electing to pursue FBS status as an independent.

A Division I-AA finalist in 2002, McNeese went 9-3 last season. Sam Houston State finished 5-6, five years removed from a four-round playoff run in 2004. Northwestern State lost all 11 games.

UC Davis and Southern Utah both won 5 games last season as FCS programs in the Great West Conference.

Northeastern State went 2-9 in Division II. Coker won three letters with the RiverHawks before graduating in 1970.

Minot (N.D.) State went 8-3 last season, losing to the University of Sioux Falls in the opening round of the NAIA playoffs. Also an NAIA school, Bacone College — located in Muskogee, Okla. — hadn’t played football in nearly five decades before reinstating its football program in 2001.

A Division III school, McMurry (4-6 last year) competes in the American Southwest Conference.

Southern Utah, Sam Houston, UC Davis and McNeese will play at UTSA, while the Roadrunners will play at South Alabama and Georgia State, in 2012.
2011 schedule

Sept: 3: Northeastern (Okla.) State
Sept. 10: McMurry
Sept. 17: @Southern Utah
Sept. 24: Bacone College
Oct. 1: @Sam Houston State
Oct. 8: South Alabama
Oct. 15: @UC Davis
Oct. 22: @Northwestern (La.) State
Oct. 29: Georgia State
Nov. 12: @McNeese State
Nov. 19: Minot (N.D.) State

UTSA home games at the Alamodome.

Southern Utah, Sam Houston, UC Davis and McNeese will all play at UTSA in 2012; UTSA goes to South Alabama and Georgia State in 2012.

slostang
March 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Dang. Rumors were that they were playing Cal Poly in 2011. Looks like Davis made a better offer.

msusig
March 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
UTSA took another major step in the construction of its football program, releasing on Friday a first-year schedule featuring an inaugural game against the alma mater of head coach Larry Coker.

Beginning with Northeastern (Okla.) State on Sept. 3, 2011, the fledgling Roadrunners will embark on an eclectic campaign that includes everything from two fellow startup teams to an NAIA school that discontinued its football program for 43 years.

“It is one of the most challenging first-year schedules ever put together,” UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said. “But that’s what coach Coker wanted.”

Hickey said UTSA hopes to play as many as five home games in 2013 against Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) teams as the school nears its intended jump to college football’s top flight as an independent in 2015.

Multiple sources told the Express-News that Baylor has agreed to a three-game series with UTSA. Though the years are unclear, two games will be played in Waco and one at the Alamodome.

“We’re not ready to say much about schedules beyond 2011 and 2012,” Coker said. “But we’re getting good response from FBS schools.”

Several members of UTSA’s first signing class said the pursuit of FBS opponents matches what they were told during the recruiting process.

“I’m excited,” receiver Jake Wanamaker said. “I didn’t pick UTSA to play small-time football.”

But with a startup program that will be composed mostly of freshmen and sophomores, the Roadrunners have to start somewhere.

Led by former Alabama coach Bill Curry, Georgia State will play its first season this fall as a Football Championship Subdivision independent. South Alabama started last year, going 7-0 against an assortment of non-scholarship schools.

McNeese State, Sam Houston State and Northwestern (La.) State are all members of the Southland Conference, with which UTSA is affiliated in 16 Division I sports. The Roadrunners had considered joining the league in football before electing to pursue FBS status as an independent.

A Division I-AA finalist in 2002, McNeese went 9-3 last season. Sam Houston State finished 5-6, five years removed from a four-round playoff run in 2004. Northwestern State lost all 11 games.

UC Davis and Southern Utah both won 5 games last season as FCS programs in the Great West Conference.

Northeastern State went 2-9 in Division II. Coker won three letters with the RiverHawks before graduating in 1970.

Minot (N.D.) State went 8-3 last season, losing to the University of Sioux Falls in the opening round of the NAIA playoffs. Also an NAIA school, Bacone College — located in Muskogee, Okla. — hadn’t played football in nearly five decades before reinstating its football program in 2001.

A Division III school, McMurry (4-6 last year) competes in the American Southwest Conference.

Southern Utah, Sam Houston, UC Davis and McNeese will play at UTSA, while the Roadrunners will play at South Alabama and Georgia State, in 2012.
2011 schedule

Sept: 3: Northeastern (Okla.) State
Sept. 10: McMurry
Sept. 17: @Southern Utah
Sept. 24: Bacone College
Oct. 1: @Sam Houston State
Oct. 8: South Alabama
Oct. 15: @UC Davis
Oct. 22: @Northwestern (La.) State
Oct. 29: Georgia State
Nov. 12: @McNeese State
Nov. 19: Minot (N.D.) State

UTSA home games at the Alamodome.

Southern Utah, Sam Houston, UC Davis and McNeese will all play at UTSA in 2012; UTSA goes to South Alabama and Georgia State in 2012.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cowboys turn the roadrunners into road kill.xcoolx

MaximumBobcat
March 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Schedule looks good. Plenty of very weak teams for the roadrunners to beat up on in SA. One team is noticeably absent though, TXST.

I spoke to our (TXST) Athletic Director Larry Teis and he told me that he talked to UTSA to try to schedule a home-and-home series. They declined. He then tried to sweeten the pot by offering to PAY them to come to San Marcos and we would return the game for FREE.

They still said no.

UTSA is very scared to play the Bobcats and/or really want us to stay out of San Antonio.

BearsCountry
March 14th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Schedule looks good. Plenty of very weak teams for the roadrunners to beat up on in SA. One team is noticeably absent though, TXST.

I spoke to our (TXST) Athletic Director Larry Teis and he told me that he talked to UTSA to try to schedule a home-and-home series. They declined. He then tried to sweeten the pot by offering to PAY them to come to San Marcos and we would return the game for FREE.

They still said no.

UTSA is very scared to play the Bobcats and/or really want us to stay out of San Antonio.

They can't have you guys beat them. We all know they are going to be the greatest team in Texas outside of UT-Austin. Thats what all of their fans have told us.

DG Cowboy
March 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
It is actually to UTSA's benefit to not go Southland and get the snot beat out of them. That is not attractive to a more prestigious conference. A loss to Tx St is a recruiting nightmare. I guess Sam, McNeese, and 2009 winless NW are their choices to establish skipping the SLC as a no-brainer for them. I'd rather have a home-and-home with Davis or UNH, etc. after our pair with Poly. I guess the Montana-App-McNeese tri -series affects McNeese seeking some OOC easier games.

msusig
March 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM

They still said no.

If it was up to UTSA, Texas State would stay FCS. That's their motive for not scheduling you.