PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly to face 7 FBS teams over the next 6 seasons

slostang
March 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Cal Poly will play 7 FBS teams over the next six seasons with at least one more to added in 2014. Here are the teams on that have been scheduled:

2010 - Fresno State

2011 - San Diego State, Northern Illinois

2012 - Wyoming

2013 - Fresno State, Colorado State

2014 -

2015 - Arizona State

Link to Cal Poly press release: http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891&article_id=91931

Go Poly
March 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
slostang, I saw the announcement a couple of hours ago, but they pulled it for some reason. Perhaps the slam on Dixie State was frowned upon?

slostang
March 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
slostang, I saw the announcement a couple of hours ago, but they pulled it for some reason. Perhaps the slam on Dixie State was frowned upon?

Interesting. I wonder if that is it.xchinscratchx

MplsBison
March 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
There is no way Poly survives in FCS long term. Look at the travel required for this year's schedule.

They will move to FBS in the next 5-10 years or they will have to drop football.

Uncle Buck
March 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
hopefully not the latter of those two thoughts, dropping would suck. Definitely an interesting schedule of FSC teams and certainly some beatable ones.

DG Cowboy
March 12th, 2010, 12:41 PM
When Dixie State becomes Utah-St. George it will be more prestigious to play them.

ThreadStopper
March 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
There is no way Poly survives in FCS long term. Look at the travel required for this year's schedule.

They will move to FBS in the next 5-10 years or they will have to drop football.

Maybe the NCAA should "require" FCS teams in the same time zone to play each other? Portland State, Eastern Washington, San Diego are you listening?

slostang
March 14th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe the NCAA should "require" FCS teams in the same time zone to play each other? Portland State, Eastern Washington, San Diego are you listening?

Portland State and Eastern Washington are and we will see them on future schedules. San Diego not so much.

BearsCountry
March 14th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Great West needs a few more of the Midwest D2 schools to move up in all honesty. I know out west would be better but if they can get the conference up to 8 or 9 schools, the travel would still be there for UC Davis & Cal Poly but it would be alot easier to swallow.

MplsBison
March 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Or the NCAA should peel back the ridiculous number scholarships and roster sizes for college football?

NFL has 53 man roster? Or something like that....why do college teams need 85 players on scholarship an then whoever else wants to be on the team as a walk-on?

Make the scholarship max limit for both FCS and FBS the same, something around 50-60 scholarships and cut max roster size down to probably 60 or so.

Point being, this would allow schools like Poly to more realistically entertain moving to FBS and playing more regional programs.

McNeese72
March 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Or the NCAA should peel back the ridiculous number scholarships and roster sizes for college football?

NFL has 53 man roster? Or something like that....why do college teams need 85 players on scholarship an then whoever else wants to be on the team as a walk-on?

Maybe, we should allow injury reserve lists and practice squads. And we should be able to drop players and sign new players any time we want. Also, we can pick up free agent signees from other FCS schools in the off season. And instead of recruiting players, we need to have a draft.

Comparing apples and oranges, imo.

Doc

MplsBison
March 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe, we should allow injury reserve lists and practice squads. And we should be able to drop players and sign new players any time we want. Also, we can pick up free agent signees from other FCS schools in the off season. And instead of recruiting players, we need to have a draft.

Comparing apples and oranges, imo.

Doc

Yes, it's a different situation.

But the point of scholarship limits and roster size limits is still valid.

rufus
March 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Make the scholarship max limit for both FCS and FBS the same, something around 50-60 scholarships and cut max roster size down to probably 60 or so.

I've always liked the idea of offering equal numbers of scholarships in FBS and FCS. It would level the playing field in FBS vs. FCS games, by eliminating the depth advantage held by the FBS teams.

rcny46
March 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, it's a different situation.

But the point of scholarship limits and roster size limits is still valid.

I think your point is valid as well.I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of your suggestion go into effect eventually.

Big Al
March 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Reducing scholarships for FBS would not only benefit FCS but D-II, as well. I think it would be a very god thing but I suspect there's no way FBS members would let it pass.

slostang
March 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Why reduce FBS scholarships? They are limited now to only 85. Reducing them more would hurt both student athletes (less scholarships available) and the quality of FBS football.

FCS is cost containment football and there is not a requirement that you give all 63 scholarships.