PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Savannah State accepted as a provisional member of the MEAC

WileECoyote06
March 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
About time, now maybe they can become competitive.

http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=204905645

bosshogg
March 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
About time, now maybe they can become competitive.

http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=204905645

I hope our board of trustees are calling the Big South leadership as we speak.

In the mean time, an easy win, and exposure to that area to help our recruiting.xwhistlex

WileECoyote06
March 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Bosshog,

You really think the MEAC plans on withdrawing from the playoffs? I seriously doubt that. It could destabilize the conference. Thomas is doing his best to emulate Leon Kerry and just speak stuff into existence.

bosshogg
March 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Bosshog,

You really think the MEAC plans on withdrawing from the playoffs? I seriously doubt that. It could destabilize the conference. Thomas is doing his best to emulate Leon Kerry and just speak stuff into existence.

I dont know if he will do it, but I know that is his intention. he WANTS to do it, and he is stupid enough to do it.xwhistlex

BearsCountry
March 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I wonder if Delaware State is still intrested in going up north? If they do, divisions break out very nicely for the MEAC.

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Key word for everyone is "provisional"...

As a provisional member, SSU must be in compliance with three (3) stipulations by September 1, 2011 before full membership status into the MEAC is granted. The stipulations include (1) student-athlete scholarships, (2) athletic budget, and (3) staffing.

I will wait to pass judgment, but SSU has a lot to do in order of righting their ship. What's the status of the AD position there? Did that football coach and the university agree to disagree?

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Bosshog,

Thomas is doing what the presidents of the schools tells him to do.

WestCoastAggie
March 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM
xoopsx

Syntax Error
March 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM

That's the way it goes, at least in the SWAC.

NoCoDanny
March 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Does SSU have a webpage yet?

bandit
March 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
So.. the article mentions the MEAC wants 14. With WSSU going back to D2, who will be #14? Cuz if i'm doing my math right SSU will be 13, correct?

any idea who the target would be for 14?

UNHWildCats
March 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM
so they will join the conference for football in 2011?

UAalum72
March 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
so they will join the conference for football in 2011?
Probably, if they meet the requirements. Press conference is Friday.

Does SSU have a webpage yet?
http://ssuathletics.com/index.aspx?tab=football&path=football

The announcement is on the athletics home page, but so far only repeats the MEAC release.

WileECoyote06
March 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
So.. the article mentions the MEAC wants 14. With WSSU going back to D2, who will be #14? Cuz if i'm doing my math right SSU will be 13, correct?

any idea who the target would be for 14?

I really don't know how Thomas plans to get that done. The only way that can work is if he goes the route of the CIAA and invites a non-HBCU in the geographic imprint. The economy is too rough and the rules are changing too much to wait on Virginia State, or Clark Atlanta to move up.

Seven Would Be Nice
March 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
If they have a coach, players and a team by then. At this rate they will be dissolving football or dropping to D2 by then.

Libertine
March 11th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I highly doubt that SSU drops football. Their home stadium is about to undergo renovations and expansion. It's forcing them to play 9 road games this season -- yeah, you read that right -- but schools don't expand football stadiums in anticipation of dropping the sport. Also, SSU has a long history of loyal fan support regardless of the results on the field.
It's true that, currently, they have no permanent AD, no permanent head coach and just started spring practice with fewer than 50 players on the team. However, this announcement is the single biggest thing to happen for that program since the move to D-I. Conference membership changes everything for them.

bosshogg
March 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Not our president. But no matter. I trust our board to do what is right for us and to get us in the conference that is best for us.

mikebigg
March 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Thomas and the Presidents are probably considering the feasibility of the MEAC Divisional Championship Game in terms of financial revenue. The thing is can they finish it prior to the start of the Playoffs.

WileECoyote06
March 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thomas and the Presidents are probably considering the feasibility of the MEAC Divisional Championship Game in terms of financial revenue. The thing is can they finish it prior to the start of the Playoffs.

Only if they can get permission from the NCAA to start a week early, like the CIAA did. I'm not so opposed to a MEAC championship game. I am however terrified that they will restore the Heritage Bowl.

Sir William
March 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
If the MEAC pulls out of the playoffs, I (for one) would love to see SC State in the SoCon.

Eaglesrus
March 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
If the MEAC pulls out of the playoffs, I (for one) would love to see SC State in the SoCon.

I'm another who would like to see that happen.

bosshogg
March 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm another who would like to see that happen.

We hope so as well.

On another note, at least Savannah State fans seem to be excited about the move. A fan site has already popped up

http://ssufans.proboards.com/index.cgi?

DSUrocks07
March 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like I'll be making a pit stop in Savannah on my way to the Challenge this year xthumbsupx

Hopefully this will draw some of the SSU fans out of hiding.

Welcome to the MEAC!!