PDA

View Full Version : CSN's GPI Is No. 1 Again

CSN-info
March 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
CSN's GPI Is No. 1 Again

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67&cid=18

The final 2009-2010 ratings came out for measuring the FCS rankings and the result was predictable. CSN's Gridiron Power Index finished in the top spot. The GPI has never been supplanted from the top position. The three FCS polls ended up in the 30's (The Any Given Saturday and Sports Network Polls in a virtual tie at #35 and #36, and the Coaches Poll further back at #38). ...

Read More ... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?190-CSN-s-GPI-Is-No-1-Again)

Skjellyfetti
March 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I don't get why it had Richmond above App in its final poll... but, whatever.

uofmman1122
March 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I don't get why it had Richmond above App in its final poll... but, whatever.I asked the same thing when it came out and got bombarded by CAA fans. xlolx

Syntax Error
March 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I asked the same thing when it came out and got bombarded by CAA fans.

Looking at it, the computers had UR at #4 and ASU at #5. The Selection Committee had UR with the #4 playoff seed. ASU needed a miracle comeback to win by 4 in the last 10 seconds in the playoffs (so that game was a wash). The polls had UR #5 and ASU at #3-4. The GPI had them so close, .13 between them.

So basically they were pretty equal. Same as W&M and UM.

bluehenbillk
March 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
3 quick points:

1- It's amazing how the season ended 12/18 and it takes until 3/9 to come up with this release. Just goes to show that given enough time data can be manipulated to show any desired outcome.xsmileyclapx

2- The former owner of this site & self-proclaimed PR man for the 3-letter system always trumpeted the purpose of the system was to most accurately predict the at-large playoff teams, correct? After a simple fan poll, the AGS poll, began to outperform this 3-lettered statistical analysis, did the purpose change? Granted I cringe when I see those 3 letters, as I do with it's father the BCS, but I must've missed the release on that mission change.xrulesx

3- There's an old saying that something isn't worth the paper it's printed on. In this case, just don't even bother printing it out. xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
March 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
3 quick points:

1- It's amazing how the season ended 12/18 and it takes until 3/9 to come up with this release. Just goes to show that given enough time data can be manipulated to show any desired outcome.xsmileyclapx

2- The former owner of this site & self-proclaimed PR man for the 3-letter system always trumpeted the purpose of the system was to most accurately predict the at-large playoff teams, correct? After a simple fan poll, the AGS poll, began to outperform this 3-lettered statistical analysis, did the purpose change? Granted I cringe when I see those 3 letters, as I do with it's father the BCS, but I must've missed the release on that mission change.xrulesx

3- There's an old saying that something isn't worth the paper it's printed on. In this case, just don't even bother printing it out. xcoffeex

.......xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
March 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
3 quick points

xlolx You can't create your own facts xlolx

Massey just finished posting all the polls and rankings this past week. How many times did any poll outperform the GPI in its existence? The GPI is not like the BCS.

xlolx And you want UD to be in the BCS! xlolx

Don't ever go changing you everlovin' bhb! You're a riot! xrotatehx

GannonFan
March 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wow - so several months after the season has ended, we can modify the computer rankings to match what happened, and then we come out and say "whala - see, they are the best!". xlolx

I've knocked the GPI before, but seriously, I've never seen it be so unprofessional and hokey as this press release is. I know it's hard to admit that the AGS Poll, as well as hundreds of various posters on this and other sites, have routinely bested the GPI in terms of picking the playoff at large field, but sinking to this level of amateurish self promotion is just embarrassing. How did someone actually write that article and not just hit delete for their own self respect?? xnodx

Syntax Error
March 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Wow - so several months after the season has ended, we can modify the computer rankings to match what happened, and then we come out and say "whala - see, they are the best!". xlolx

I've knocked the GPI before, but seriously, I've never seen it be so unprofessional and hokey as this press release is. I know it's hard to admit that the AGS Poll, as well as hundreds of various posters on this and other sites, have routinely bested the GPI in terms of picking the playoff at large field, but sinking to this level of amateurish self promotion is just embarrassing. How did someone actually write that article and not just hit delete for their own self respect?? xnodx

SURPRISE! Bhbk and his brother GF reciting the same inaccuracies? xeekx Maybe you want to back up your falsities with facts for the readers of AGS that overwhelming like the GPI? Then you attack the reporter as "unprofessional and hokey" and "amateurish" for reporting facts? xsmhx Cheap shot at Massey and everyone who works very hard to produce rankings and polls by claiming they "modify" the results. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Grizzaholic
March 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Since when have facts mattered?

Syntax Error
March 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Since when have facts mattered?

xeyebrowx xsmhx

GannonFan
March 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
SURPRISE! Bhbk and his brother GF reciting the same inaccuracies? xeekx Maybe you want to back up your falsities with facts for the readers of AGS that overwhelming like the GPI? Then you attack the reporter as "unprofessional and hokey" and "amateurish" for reporting facts? xsmhx Cheap shot at Massey and everyone who works very hard to produce rankings and polls by claiming they "modify" the results. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Aw, quiet down - you take this GPI stuff way too personally. Although, it's odd that you champion something that takes plenty of pot shots at the AGS Poll and the very people who vote in that poll (i.e. this site's posters). Especially considering the AGS poll has consistently outperformed the GPI every year (although somehow the AGS Poll only comes up somewhere in the mid 30's according to this contrived ranking). And nothing inaccurate here, Massey has said before he tweaks his formula during the year if things don't "look" right - I think he even said it on this board. xshhhx

james_lawfirm
March 10th, 2010, 03:59 PM
... and then we come out and say "whala - see, they are the best!". xlolx
xnodx

OK, all seriousness aside, this is the best use of the french language that I have ever seen.

"WHALA!!!!!!!!!"

GREAT STUFF!

Wait, I presume you were kidding. No offense intended, unless so taken.

Syntax Error
March 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
OK, all seriousness aside, this is the best use of the french language that I have ever seen.

"WHALA!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah they seem to make up things all the time.

Syntax Error
March 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
... this GPI ... takes plenty of pot shots at the AGS Poll and the very people who vote in that poll... Especially considering the AGS poll has consistently outperformed the GPI every year... Massey has said before he tweaks his formula during the year...

This is exactly the kind of MISinformation that needs to be challenged.

FACT: The GPI is the only system that takes the AGS Poll as part of its ranking.
FACT: The AGS Poll has NOT consistently outperformed the GPI, only once did it do this.
FACT: Massey never changes his formula during a season.

Get with the facts GF and don't let your blind hatred hurt your credibility.

SpeedkingATL
March 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=Syntax Error;1513755] ASU needed a miracle comeback to win by 4 in the last 10 seconds in the playoffs (so that game was a wash).

I admit the teams were pretty equal but the win has to count for something.xreadx

GannonFan
March 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM
This is exactly the kind of MISinformation that needs to be challenged.

FACT: The GPI is the only system that takes the AGS Poll as part of its ranking.
FACT: The AGS Poll has NOT consistently outperformed the GPI, only once did it do this.
FACT: Massey never changes his formula during a season.

Get with the facts GF and don't let your blind hatred hurt your credibility.

Hey, attack the messenger all you want, but you're "facts" are only true in your own mind. First of all, sure the GPI takes the AGS Poll as part of its ranking, but why is that even important? As for the AGS Poll outperforming the GPI, has the GPI ever outperfomed the AGS Poll? Since it never has, I'm sure that's the reason why you don't bring it up. And yes, Massey does tweak his formula, he's even said so.

Listen, I get that you don't like constructive criticism of the GPI - I'm not sure why exactly, but you don't and when people constructively criticize it you go right to the personal attacks. It's cool, it's what you do. But that doesn't change the facts that the GPI is a poor stepchild to the AGS Poll, which isn't all that suprising since it starts with the AGS Poll and then makes it worse.

I've got my faith in the posters here and the people that work hard to make the AGS Poll what it is - obviously, you think very little of them and the Poll - whatever floats your boat.

4th and What?
March 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Meh...both of you are stating what you call "facts" but give no evidence. You may think it's clear in your minds, but give some of us nubbins that have only been reading the board for a year or two some evidence in your arguments.

I tried to find Massey talking about his ratings on this forum, but didn't come up with much. Though I do see you two have been having this argument for at least 4 years now :)

AshevilleApp2
March 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
There's only one #1 that matters, and this year (or last) it is Villanova.

jstclmet
March 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
There's only one #1 that matters, and this year (or last) it is Villanova.

xsmileyclapxxthumbsupxxbeerchugx