PDA

View Full Version : kschmidt: Will Montana Leave FCS?

CSN-info
March 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
In reading the following article, it sounds very possible. WIth selling out Washington-Grizzly Stadium virtually every game over the past 10+ years,...

More... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/blog.php?b=59)

03-06-2010 08:30 AM

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I also think we'll see more movement in the FCS West (of the Mississippi)...

With the lack of growth in the Great West, Cal Poly and UC-Davis are in a situation where if given the chance, they have no where to turn, but FBS. I think the WAC would be interested in adding both teams, especially if the WAC were to lose a team (or few) to the Mountain West.

With Montana, I am not sure what to make of it. They are a package deal IMO with Montana State and I have a hard time believing they would leave FCS, unless a study they did determined that

a) they could still be competitive and sell out Wash-Griz each game
b) the financial advantages would be too much to turn down

CopperCat
March 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I also think we'll see more movement in the FCS West (of the Mississippi)...

With the lack of growth in the Great West, Cal Poly and UC-Davis are in a situation where if given the chance, they have no where to turn, but FBS. I think the WAC would be interested in adding both teams, especially if the WAC were to lose a team (or few) to the Mountain West.

With Montana, I am not sure what to make of it. They are a package deal IMO with Montana State and I have a hard time believing they would leave FCS, unless a study they did determined that

a) they could still be competitive and sell out Wash-Griz each game
b) the financial advantages would be too much to turn down

That is where the argument is. Apparently O'Day thinks that moving up will help with the money problems that UM is having in the athletic department. I fail to see that logic based on what I have read so far, but I don't know it all. Then again, I don't think UM knows it all yet either.