PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Bryant Schedule Features Seven Home Dates

CSN Log
March 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
03-03-2010 04:36 PM

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/03/03/2010-bryant-schedule-features-seven-home?blog=2)

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
The NEC is going to have to work with the schools to improve their schedules now that they are going to have playoff possibilities...

OOC schedules like this will keep the NEC in the "opening round" games, regardless of who the AQ is.

danefan
March 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
The NEC is going to have to work with the schools to improve their schedules now that they are going to have playoff possibilities...

OOC schedules like this will keep the NEC in the "opening round" games, regardless of who the AQ is.

Nothing more than a consequence of the Hofstra/Northeastern decision.

Bryant was scheduled to play the return game at Hofstra this year and had to replace it with a DII team (former conference mate).

And the NEC AQ will be in the opening round games for a long time no matter what.

As will the PL, Big South, MEAC, OVC, and SLC in most years.

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Nothing more than a consequence of the Hofstra/Northeastern decision.

Bryant was scheduled to play the return game at Hofstra this year and had to replace it with a DII team (former conference mate).

That stinks. Did not know Bryant was dealing with that.

Did schools get buy outs for the Hofstra, N'Eastern situation?

As will the PL, Big South, MEAC, OVC, and SLC in most years.

The SLC was a two-bid league last year and will be returning to form.

I know you have short-term memory, but pre-Katrina, this league was putting two and three teams in, while also doing well (SHSU in 2004 and TXST in 2005 - both to the semifinals)

UNHWildCats
March 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM

I am all for bashing conferences who continue to schedule large amounts of sub Div I games, however so far only two such games appear on NEC schedules, both on Bryants who is still transitioning to Div I. The NEC in 2009 had only three such games between the nine schools, meantime the Southland had eight such games between its eight teams.

Bogus Megapardus
March 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I am all for bashing conferences who continue to schedule large amounts of sub Div I games

The PL prohibits sub-DI games. Plenty of PL bashing to go around on AGS, though! xlolx

danefan
March 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
That stinks. Did not know Bryant was dealing with that.

Did schools get buy outs for the Hofstra, N'Eastern situation?

No clue, but I hope they got something out of it.

The SLC was a two-bid league last year and will be returning to form.

I know you have short-term memory, but pre-Katrina, this league was putting two and three teams in, while also doing well (SHSU in 2004 and TXST in 2005 - both to the semifinals)

Being a two-bid league doesn't necessarily mean one of the SLC teams won't be in the opening round. Take a look at the playoffs this year....add Central Ct., Stony Brook, and two at-larges (from any conference - At-large 9 & At-large 10) and you'd likely have the following teams in the opening round using your beloved GPI:

Central. Ct.
Stony Brook
Holy Cross
Eastern Illinois
McNeese
SFA
At-large 9
At-large 10

Looks like both would probably be in the opening round.

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
The PL prohibits sub-DI games. Plenty of PL bashing to go around on AGS, though! xlolx

Are you sure? I think there's a school two games short that may have to.

Bogus Megapardus
March 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Are you sure? I think there's a school two games short that may have to.

That has always been my understanding. I have complete faith that Georgetown will not act in breach of this protocol if it can be avoided.

But if you do, why not go do it with a flurry. Those Williams/Amherst/Middlebury folks tend to brag that they could beat any PL school if they were "allowed" to. Dare them. xrolleyesx

danefan
March 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
That has always been my understanding. I have complete faith that Georgetown will not act in breach of this protocol if it can be avoided.

But if you do, why not go do it with a flurry. Those Williams/Amherst/Middlebury folks tend to brag that they could beat any PL school if they were "allowed" to. Dare them. xrolleyesx

Unfortunately there are a lot of northeastern teams falling needing to schedule DII's this year because of the trickle down effect of the Hofstra/Northeastern mess.

I'd love to see G'town beat up on some NESCAC school though. It sure would shut some of the Hamilton Cult up in my office.

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well, that won't happen given the time of the season (late October), the distance, and the simple fact that NESCAC schools don't schedule games out of conference.

My guess (and it's only that) would be one game scheduled with some outlier, and the second game remains open for a 10 game schedule. The more pressing issue is that Kevin Kelly's team will play five of its first six games on the road, where the Hoyas haven't won outside of DC in almost four years.

UNHWildCats
March 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I am all for bashing conferences who continue to schedule large amounts of sub Div I games, however so far only two such games appear on NEC schedules, both on Bryants who is still transitioning to Div I. The NEC in 2009 had only three such games between the nine schools, meantime the Southland had eight such games between its eight teams.

Come on Terror, I so want to hear a response to this.... pretty please.

TexasTerror
March 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM

The NEC has many more teams in their region that play FCS football. You should know as much, being a fan of a school in that region of the country.

The good thing is that the SLC is moving more and more to having teams play full Div I schedules. This will come about more readily when Lamar joins the conference, giving the league eight games and just three OOC games.

SHSU would have had a full Div I slate if Prairie View A&M did not give an example in bad business practices and pull out without telling anyone. This year, we do have a full Div I schedule, as does SFA. It would be nice if TXST did too and Lamar's AD is committed to doing the same.

The La. schools are in a tougher situation due to finances (we've beaten that dead horse) and that situation alone could change the makeup of the conference in the next few years...

UNHWildCats
March 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The NEC has many more teams in their region that play FCS football. You should know as much, being a fan of a school in that region of the country.

The good thing is that the SLC is moving more and more to having teams play full Div I schedules. This will come about more readily when Lamar joins the conference, giving the league eight games and just three OOC games.

SHSU would have had a full Div I slate if Prairie View A&M did not give an example in bad business practices and pull out without telling anyone. This year, we do have a full Div I schedule, as does SFA. It would be nice if TXST did too and Lamar's AD is committed to doing the same.

The La. schools are in a tougher situation due to finances (we've beaten that dead horse) and that situation alone could change the makeup of the conference in the next few years...

Regardless. You like to pick on conferences who schedule sub div I opponents, yet last season your home conference was the worst offender outside of the SWAC. And you can argue all you want about the lack of teams around because the NEC has a team traveling to California in 2010. No reason a SLC team cant travel east every so often for an OOC game.

TexasTerror
March 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Regardless. You like to pick on conferences who schedule sub div I opponents, yet last season your home conference was the worst offender outside of the SWAC. And you can argue all you want about the lack of teams around because the NEC has a team traveling to California in 2010. No reason a SLC team cant travel east every so often for an OOC game.

My biggest issue is and will always be scheduling sub-Div I opponents on the road.

And SLC teams can travel east. The problem is that those schools on the east coast refuse to travel to us. Why should we schedule someone that will not return the favor?

SHSU and Gardner-Webb. Appalachian State and McNeese. Northwestern St and Northeastern. Those are three home-and-homes we've had recently. The problem is, willing partners are FEW and FAR between.

UNH even turned down a SHSU attempt at scheduling a few years ago (we attempted to line up a few schools on the East Coast including Coastal Carolina before ending up with Gardner-Webb) and that is FACTUAL...so your school is not willing to travel back. Again, this is an issue...

UNHWildCats
March 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
My biggest issue is and will always be scheduling sub-Div I opponents on the road.

And SLC teams can travel east. The problem is that those schools on the east coast refuse to travel to us. Why should we schedule someone that will not return the favor?

SHSU and Gardner-Webb. Appalachian State and McNeese. Northwestern St and Northeastern. Those are three home-and-homes we've had recently. The problem is, willing partners are FEW and FAR between.

UNH even turned down a SHSU attempt at scheduling a few years ago (we attempted to line up a few schools on the East Coast including Coastal Carolina before ending up with Gardner-Webb) and that is FACTUAL...so your school is not willing to travel back. Again, this is an issue...
you think Cal Poly is gonna return the favor and travel east to play Saint Francis? Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet if you want to have a decent schedule without a sub Div I opponent.

As for UNH turning down SHSU. Who cares if UNH doesn't want to travel to Texas. UNH has no trouble finishing their schedule limiting their travel without resorting to playing a non Div I school. And when in desperate need to keep a solid schedule of Div I opponents, UNH will travel west without a return date (see 2005 when Army cancelled on them and they traveled to UC Davis.)

TexasTerror
March 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
you think Cal Poly is gonna return the favor and travel east to play Saint Francis? Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet if you want to have a decent schedule without a sub Div I opponent.

Cal Poly is probably paying out a decent fee to St. Francis.

SLC schools, if all they take are guarantees from FBS and FCS opponents, will have no home games. Do you understand the business of college athletics, Travis?

There is an art form to scheduling and it includes scheduling home games out of conference, so you can build a fan base instead of limiting home games to just having games at home during conference play. It also stands to reason that home games benefit the competition side of things.

As for UNH turning down SHSU. Who cares if UNH doesn't want to travel to Texas. UNH has no trouble finishing their schedule limiting their travel without resorting to playing a non Div I school. And when in desperate need to keep a solid schedule of Div I opponents, UNH will travel west without a return date (see 2005 when Army cancelled on them and they traveled to UC Davis.)

You tell SLC schools to travel out east - but I am trying to show you that SLC schools have tried to no avail.

Again, you mention that "UNH has no trouble finishing their scheduling limiting their travel without resorting to play a non Div I school".

Care to share with me how many FCS schools are within 400 mile of UNH compared to a school like TXST or SHSU? xwhistlex

UNHWildCats
March 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Cal Poly is probably paying out a decent fee to St. Francis.

SLC schools, if all they take are guarantees from FBS and FCS opponents, will have no home games. Do you understand the business of college athletics, Travis?

There is an art form to scheduling and it includes scheduling home games out of conference, so you can build a fan base instead of limiting home games to just having games at home during conference play. It also stands to reason that home games benefit the competition side of things.

You tell SLC schools to travel out east - but I am trying to show you that SLC schools have tried to no avail.

Again, you mention that "UNH has no trouble finishing their scheduling limiting their travel without resorting to play a non Div I school".

Care to share with me how many FCS schools are within 400 mile of UNH compared to a school like TXST or SHSU? xwhistlex
The whole point here is you shouldnt rag on a conference having 2 non Div I games (mind you by a team still transitioning) when your conference had 300% more such games than that conference last season.

Yes scheduling is tough, even for east coast teams. So lay off, especially when the conference has made huge strides the past few seasons.

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
The whole point here is you shouldnt rag on a conference having 2 non Div I games (mind you by a team still transitioning) when your conference had 300% more such games than that conference last season.

Why live in the past, when we can speak of the present?

No school in the SLC has multiple sub-Div I games this year.

The league has FOUR games this year - not including start-up Lamar, who joins the league next year. So half the teams in the league have full Div I schedules.

The NEC schedules will have to continue improving as they get a chance at an AQ. Their teams need to be somewhat battle-tested.