PDA

View Full Version : MEAC/SWAC Challenge

813Jag
March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
It's official the MEAC/SWAC (http://www.meacswacchallenge.com/) challenge is set, it will feature Delaware St. vs. Southern. Hope the Hornets can get a good turnout, because Baton Rouge will be there.

GAD
March 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxJags on national TV againxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

superman7515
March 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
At the risk of sounding negative, why have it as such a large stadium knowing it will be televised and a lot of empty seats will be showing? I don't know how Southern travels, but more people show up to DelState for the high school championships than for a DelState home game, I can't imagine they'd travel to Florida well.

slostang
March 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Always good to get a national TV audience. Any predictions?

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
At the risk of sounding negative, why have it as such a large stadium knowing it will be televised and a lot of empty seats will be showing? I don't know how Southern travels, but more people show up to DelState for the high school championships than for a DelState home game, I can't imagine they'd travel to Florida well.

SU travels 15,000 to 35,000 strong.

blackcaesar3k5
March 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Southern would probably win Challenege by ten points..

superman7515
March 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
SU travels 15,000 to 35,000 strong.

Mumford seats 29,000 but the average attendance for Southern home games there last season was only 13,228. How can they travel 15,000-30,000 strong to Florida if they can't travel 15,000-35,000 strong across town?

superman7515
March 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Not knocking Southern, DelState averages just over 4,000 for a home game. Assuming that both teams were somehow able to manage home game numbers for an away game, you're looking at 17,000 in a stadium that seats over 65,000. Not exactly a good thing to see on national tv. Although I understand the theory that any exposure is good exposure, if they show the stands and a recruit, alum, or donor thinks no one cares about either team, what's the benefit?

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Mumford seats 29,000 but the average attendance for Southern home games there last season was only 13,228. How can they travel 15,000-30,000 strong to Florida if they can't travel 15,000-35,000 strong across town?

Ask around xlolx and do some research. Its hard to believe until you see it in person, but thats the way it is. Also Check SU's pre Katrina attendence numbers. It was time for SU to make a coaching change, as folks had gotten frustrated with Coach Richardson. 17 years is a long time for a coach to be at one school.

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2010, 09:10 PM

Southern had SIX of their crowds under 11,000...two of those (UAPB, TxSo) were road games...it's over-exaggerated by a long shot.

The facts do not lie, but according to SUjagTILiDIE... xshhhx

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Southern had SIX of their crowds under 11,000...two of those (UAPB, TxSo) were road games...it's over-exaggerated by a long shot.

Get a life. xlolx

TSU game was after the Bayou Classic . Like I said folks were feed up with Pete. Uapb stadium only seats 12,000, plus SU's season was practically over after the loss to PV.

slostang
March 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM

Just curious, what was SHSU attendance in 2009?

Never mind, I found it. Six home games with an average attendance of 5,370. Sounds like SHSU attendance is a little lacking.

TexasTerror
March 4th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Just curious, what was SHSU attendance in 2009?

Never mind, I found it. Six home games with an average attendance of 5,370. Sounds like SHSU attendance is a little lacking.

Yep - worst attendance in several years. Part of it was the frustration with the head coach, the other part the several rain dates...

SHSU typically averages 8500 to 9500 each year and had for the previous four, five years.

Just happy to see a team at SU not running from a challenge...

TSUalum05
March 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Yep - worst attendance in several years. Part of it was the frustration with the head coach, the other part the several rain dates...

SHSU typically averages 8500 to 9500 each year and had for the previous four, five years.

Just happy to see a team at SU not running from a challenge...

I think that's the same thing SU's fans can say about their previous coach.

Truth is, no matter how distorted the numbers SU fans say they travel, they still are always among the top in FCS attendance and most of their away games are well attended by their fans.

TT, I know your a numbers guy (someone else can do it too) - check the average home attendance for all SU opponents without SU's game against them. Then compare that average attendance of their opponents average attendance without the SU games to the attendance where SU comes to their stadium.

I think this will prove if SU's fans are fabricating their attendance or telling the truth at away. This will give us what ever positive or negative impact SU has with their opponents attendance.

I think this sampling should be done for a 4 year period such as 01-04 and 06-09. Avoiding the hurricane but including some of their highs and lows. I wish I had the time to do this but I'm on my blackberry.

mikebigg
March 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
This will be a season opener for Labor Day Weekend, throw in the fact that it's in Orlando and that makes it even more appealing. I can envision a 35k crowd for this one. In addition to the Jags in Baton Rouge, you have lots of SU fans in the ATL and lots in Fla. This one will be well packed with SU folks...especially when you throw in the always excitement of a new coaching hire. This one will look very good on television...

If Del State doesn't travel well, then the MEAC should have sent some other team instead. Yall couldn't get FAMU on board with this one... that would have set all types of attendance figures. Let's optimize these matchups and get the revenue they are intended to generate.

Pitbull
March 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I actually wish the Dawgs were going back to Orlando....

OhioHen
March 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Always good to get a national TV audience. Any predictions?

Southern wins the game and the battle of the bands. Hornets may pull a surprise in the former. The latter is a lock.

DSUrocks07
March 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'll be there xthumbsupx

Hoping to get some people together to make the trip and reach out to some Alumni groups in the area and the South. Orlando is a serious tourist destination. Do people REALLY need an excuse to go there? We'll have a whole weekend in Florida and a Sunday game with no other NFL action to compete against. This is officially the biggest game on our schedule for this year. I have a feeling that DSU will surprise folks with the attendance for this game. xwhistlex

TSUalum05
March 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
TT, I know your a numbers guy (someone else can do it too) - check the average home attendance for all SU opponents without SU's game against them. Then compare that average attendance of their opponents average attendance without the SU games to the attendance where SU comes to their stadium.

I think this will prove if SU's fans are fabricating their attendance or telling the truth at away. This will give us what ever positive or negative impact SU has with their opponents attendance.

I think this sampling should be done for a 4 year period such as 01-04 and 06-09. Avoiding the hurricane but including some of their highs and lows. I wish I had the time to do this but I'm on my blackberry.

I did 06-09 and found that:

1. 11,464 was the average gain in fans the home team experienced when SU came to town compared to the average for that team for the entire year.
2. 2009 FBS Laffeyette Home average for the entire year was 18,666 but when SU came to town it was 41,357. An increase of 22,691
3. 2009 FCS Pine Bluff home average for the entire year was 11,112 but when SU came to town it was 10,116. A DE-crease of 996

Of note:
1. JSU in 2006 experienced the greatest increase with an average of 16,099 but when SU came to town it was 40,000. An increase of 23,901.
2. FBS University of Houston experienced a 5,037 increase.

Syntax Error
March 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
This will be a season opener for Labor Day Weekend, throw in the fact that it's in Orlando and that makes it even more appealing. I can envision a 35k crowd for this one. In addition to the Jags in Baton Rouge, you have lots of SU fans in the ATL and lots in Fla. This one will be well packed with SU folks...especially when you throw in the always excitement of a new coaching hire. This one will look very good on television...

AGREED! New year, new coach, SWAC friendly city of Jaglando, live on cable TV, recipe for a winning event. xhurrayx

JohnStOnge
March 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I think Southern travels well regardless of the home attendance figures. Last year Louisiana-Lafayette set an attendance record of 41357 when it hosted Southern. I saw an aerial photo of the stadium. The record wasn't set because of Louisiana-Lafayette fans.

Still, it's a bit much to expect enough Southern fans to show up in Orlando, FL, to create the impression of a well-attended game. We'll see.

Jag4Life
March 13th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Baton Rouge will be there, trust me. I think 20,000-30,000 Jags in attendance. The alum in ATL will be there and plus the alum in the state of Florida.

mikebigg
March 13th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Baton Rouge will be there, trust me. I think 20,000-30,000 Jags in attendance. The alum in ATL will be there and plus the alum in the state of Florida.

It will be well attended... SU folk from the areas you mentioned will roll in deep!