PDA

View Full Version : Don't ya just love coach hiring press releases?

ngineer
March 3rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
I get a chuckle whenever I read about new coach hirings or the bios of coaches in media guides. They include where the guy coached all along his nomadic life in search of another rung on the 'ladder'. They always allude to the prior stays at 'Giant State U' where, then as a graduate assistant, 20 years ago, the team went 36-2...as if the lowly graduate assistant had any real cause and effect on that.xrotatehxxrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
I get a chuckle whenever I read about new coach hirings or the bios of coaches in media guides. They include where the guy coached all along his nomadic life in search of another rung on the 'ladder'. They always allude to the prior stays at 'Giant State U' where, then as a graduate assistant, 20 years ago, the team went 36-2...as if the lowly graduate assistant had any real cause and effect on that.xrotatehxxrolleyesx

Well, it comes from the resume that the coach submitted to get the job. Where else do they get their information? Independent research? Fox Sports? AGS? The part where his team went 1 - 29 over three seasons at Moose Valley Community College sometimes gets left out.

LBPop
March 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
I also get a laugh out of this sort of comment: "...coached Linus Backer who had 120 tackles in 2005 and was named second team all-conference..." While I am sure coaching helped Linus, I am always tempted to ask about the other 60 linebackers that he coached in his career who didn't do squat. I think coaches can and should take credit for team achievement, but as an individual my guess is that Linus (in this silly example) would have likely played just about as well for most any decent coach.

MplsBison
March 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
I also get a laugh out of this sort of comment: "...coached Linus Backer who had 120 tackles in 2005 and was named second team all-conference..." While I am sure coaching helped Linus, I am always tempted to ask about the other 60 linebackers that he coached in his career who didn't do squat. I think coaches can and should take credit for team achievement, but as an individual my guess is that Linus (in this silly example) would have likely played just about as well for most any decent coach.

Really? A linebacker named....Linus Backer...?

Eaglesrus
March 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM

Talk about being destined to do something!

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2010, 02:58 PM

Even better is the "same school" reference. "In 2003, Coach Czcsczvcvnowski was a special teams assistant at Hancock North High School in Kiln, Mississippi, the same school that produced Brett Favre," even though it was twenty years after the fact. Let some of that magic rub off.

LBPop
March 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM

It was really an interesting team. Here's a few more names off that roster:

Ty Tend
Acorn Ehrback
Ben Shwarmer
PK Holder
Nick Lback
Lee D'Blocker
Freisafe Tee (and his big brother, Strawnsafe)
OK...I have wasted enough time on this foolishness. :o

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
It was really an interesting team. Here's a few more names off that roster:

Ty Tend
Acorn Ehrback
Ben Shwarmer
PK Holder
Nick Lback
Lee D'Blocker
Freisafe Tee (and his big brother, Strawnsafe)
OK...I have wasted enough time on this foolishness. :o

Wy Dre'Seever and Gig R. Turner were on the same team as I recall. Wasn't Pastor Usher the team chaplain that year?

RichH2
March 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
xhurrayxxnodx Thank you all for ahearty laugh on a bad day